Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

b_d posted:

i'm hoping the imgur purge will be generous enough that it won't hit anything that's gotten occasional views over the years like anything on the forums; there's gotta be a shitload of stuff they host that's linked nowhere and gets literally no traffic so hopefully they can just keep it to those

In a perfect world they are keeping a list of anon uploaded images linked to from SA. The big lift to archive those images happened earlier this summer (technical admin released a series of enormous lists of URLs in another thread) sand presumably every image got touched at least 3 or 4 times by various archival groups so they are safe for another year :ohdear::hf::sweatdrop:

Meanwhile the android app didn't get the imgur update yet and anon uploads still work for those users :frogbon:

At least two goon led groups have reached out to the administration about doing the work of building a new goon private image host but neither have gotten any response. Not confident it will happen in our lifetimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

L:

At least two goon led groups have reached out to the administration about doing the work of building a new goon private image host but neither have gotten any response. Not confident it will happen in our lifetimes

Which makes nixing anon uploads in the app silly. It’s convenient and absent a better way gently caress it. I absolutely agree that we need a better way, but in the interim people are purposefully avoiding updates because posting images from inside the app is just convenient as gently caress for poo poo post jokes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I agree with Cyrano. It's such a hassle to post images now I often don't bother.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am not an iOS user but I support reverting the change.

I think the change went in with the assumption that anon uploads would stop working within weeks if not days. That has not been the case.

That said, Astral needs to nominate someone to get the image share thing off the ground. A lot of images get posted here daily, but it's nowhere near the size/complexity of an imagehost like imgur, nor does it need to be. A simple save to and retrieve from S3 would be a good first start

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
it was removed because imgur wasn't transparent or forthright about their plans, and having a bunch of threads with broken images sucks rear end, as evidenced when waffleimages got blocked and died.

nothing has changed on the imgur side, there's no reason to keep digging that hole when we know there's an issue.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

it was removed because imgur wasn't transparent or forthright about their plans, and having a bunch of threads with broken images sucks rear end, as evidenced when waffleimages got blocked and died.

nothing has changed on the imgur side, there's no reason to keep digging that hole when we know there's an issue.

Yeah Imgur sucks and frankly even the registered accounts aren’t a great band aid. There’s zero guarantee they won’t pull a photo bucket as soon as some investor decides they need a bigger number next quarter.

I’ve been holding off on posting a few photo heavy threads until I find a good hosting solution. Jeff needs to get off his rear end about this, it’s 100% costing him content.

That said, if I’m making a dumb poo poo post joke with a photo? gently caress it I don’t care if that’s preserved for all eternity. I want to make a dumb joke now, and an anon Imgur pic via an old version of the app is super convenient.

Stripping functionality because Jeff can’t get a hosting solution figured out is silly. I get not contributing to the problem, but downgrading the app isn’t a good solution.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh no this dumb lazy meme might be lost to the sands of time. Truly our future cultural inheritance is lessened.

(Posted from Awful App 6.1)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

um excuse me i'd like to talk to the manager of posting images/imgur.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
lol jfc you guys really liked that feature I never used, I always just used the drat shortcut anyway

Oh hey new posts, wonder what's going on with the app? Oh, more of the :qq: crew.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was very easy to take a screen shot of something on your phone, quick crop it , and up load it

This was good for like news headlines, text quotes , etc

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yeah, this is the way

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/1555e129a9d4449caacd74fcc5d01f33

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

It was very easy to take a screen shot of something on your phone, quick crop it , and up load it

It's still pretty easy, y'all are just real angsty about having to do it slightly differently. Like you can literally have the shortcut in your share sheet, then bam it's been uploaded and it's in your clipboard?!

Like, please get over it and just use the shortcut, this is stupid to repeat this exchange every week

Or make your own app and show us how superior it can be done but just please move on with your lives lol

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 4, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

Still is

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok let me see if i can make it work

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Success !!! :)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

Success !!! :)

I knew you had it in you! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_0UYXVlxE

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 4, 2023

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I love the haptic feature added in one of the latest updates. Though sometimes when I'm scrolling down the haptic engine gets triggered but doesn't let go if I don't scroll further and keep my finger(s) pressed against the iphone screen

which isn't a bad thing at all! I'm able to essentially use my iPhone as a vibrating sex toy and within a few minutes give myself a p-gasm. I don't know if it involves a specific object i'm selecting while scrolling down that triggers it. but no complaints!

keep up the good work!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The people griping are the reason a lot of use never were able to use it ourselves :v: The shortcut approach is fine and you can tweak it to your heart’s content.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ILL NEVER SHORTCUT!!!!!!!!!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tenkaris posted:

lol jfc you guys really liked that feature I never used, I always just used the drat shortcut anyway

Oh hey new posts, wonder what's going on with the app? Oh, more of the :qq: crew.

tell-tale high blood pressure posting.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hell yeah I’m a shortcuttin man 😎

Edit: thank you!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

tell-tale high blood pressure posting.

I get 120/80 every time I donate blood my guy :grin:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Warbird posted:

The people griping are the reason a lot of use never were able to use it ourselves :v: The shortcut approach is fine and you can tweak it to your heart’s content.

It's a workaround for a missing feature that should exist on the forums and in the app. It's not really "fine".

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tenkaris posted:

I get 120/80 every time I donate blood my guy :grin:

niiiice

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There used to be a shortcut for Imgur uploads that didn’t make you save the photo first, Is that not possible anymore? You could just copy from a site and upload in one shot.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

commie kong posted:

1) The image uploading stuff was removed to prevent uploading to imgur specifically. So if you use a shortcut to do that, it kinda defeats the purpose. As there are (were?) efforts taking place to archive all imgur links on the forums, the request was to prevent new ones from being added. If that situation has changed at all, that would be awesome and we can put that feature back.

Otherwise, the search for an alternative image host continues.

We get that a lot of people just want to keep using Imgur, I'm doing it too. He mentions a request, I don't know who it came from, but yeah all this stuff was brought up in June when the imgur stuff went down, and lots of folks had no idea until the change hit the app

But uh yeah, there really aren't any good alternative hosts, and imgur is under new management making them a wildcard we want to move away from.

There's only one answer: bug Astral to finish the new attachment system, then we can get that in the app

Snowy posted:

There used to be a shortcut for Imgur uploads that didn’t make you save the photo first, Is that not possible anymore? You could just copy from a site and upload in one shot.

This one is more robust and will do that for you, but also doesn't automatically wrap the URL in img tags. You can add that in if you want though

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 4, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Additionally you can tweak the “saved photo” one to copy from clipboard and more or less be good to go.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can we at least get smiley filtering while we wait for actual image posting?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tenkaris posted:

It's still pretty easy, y'all are just real angsty about having to do it slightly differently. Like you can literally have the shortcut in your share sheet, then bam it's been uploaded and it's in your clipboard?!
shut up bitch it makes perfect sense to complain about a feature being removed with no immediate benefit. what do you even want this thread to be about if people shouldn't talk about it here

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

b_d posted:

shut up bitch it makes perfect sense to complain about a feature being removed with no immediate benefit. what do you even want this thread to be about if people shouldn't talk about it here

You're not entitled to immediate benefits and I'll complain all I like about people coming in to complain about things and asking questions that have been answered, again and again, often on the same page they post on.

Yeah sure this is the place to complain but if you don't want to read the thread at all and just be a big cry baby bitch about it then yeah, I'm gonna call you a big cry baby bitch

Hth

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tenkaris posted:

You're not entitled to immediate benefits and I'll complain all I like about people coming in to complain about things and asking questions that have been answered, again and again, often on the same page they post on.

Yeah sure this is the place to complain but if you don't want to read the thread at all and just be a big cry baby bitch about it then yeah, I'm gonna call you a big cry baby bitch

Hth

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitc

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tenkaris posted:

This one is more robust and will do that for you, but also doesn't automatically wrap the URL in img tags. You can add that in if you want though

Warbird posted:

Additionally you can tweak the “saved photo” one to copy from clipboard and more or less be good to go.

If any of you kind bitches make these changes please post a link or directions, I’m dumb and will gently caress it up otherwise but I miss when I had one that did all this until it broke

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

b_d posted:

its like../ tell me you haven't scrolled up, without telling me you haven't scrolled up. normal world

E: not directed at you, Snowy

Snowy posted:

If any of you kind bitches make these changes please post a link or directions, I’m dumb and will gently caress it up otherwise but I miss when I had one that did all this until it broke

I think this should work?

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c00a682cd9f54263992c0bf0084e4408

Testing now

Yep, works! :D

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 4, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

b_d posted:

This is a really gross way to talk to the free devs of the free app, you’re welcome to use safari and try to complain to Astral about any features you find missing

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Btw everyone using the app's upload feature was sharing the same api key which meant the more people using it the less reliable it would be, a few people responded saying it only worked 1 in 10 tries. Also lots of us were just using the shortcut already because shortcuts are rad and work with every app.

But the people who did use it really do not want to use the shortcut because they keep showing up to be abrasive about it lol

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
is george r r martin your bitch? great minds of the awful app thread investigate

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Snowy posted:

Used it to post that. Requires you to have the Imgur app and be signed into an account. Doesn’t always play nice with stuff from the internet as you’re not necessarily actually interacting with an image proper but you’d encounter the same thing in any other method so eh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Warbird posted:

Seriously, I swear I'm being gaslit that the image upload ever worked with any consistency. I gave up since it would fail 90% of the times I tried using it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is the one I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

Seriously, I swear I'm being gaslit that the image upload ever worked with any consistency. I gave up since it would fail 90% of the times I tried using it.

The mod who made the incredibly regrettable baby blowjob post used up all the posts for the month for everyone with poo poo he didnt care enough about to save but cares more than enough about to wail at volunteers to bring back. This is definitely who I want putting in less effort in their shitposting.