Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

One of my friends is on the GenCon staff and they said they were very relieved there were no Lorcana-related injuries when the dealer room opened (but it was close).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
i've heard it was a poo poo show with people waiting for hours in the wrong line at the wrong door (with no real indication it was the wrong door) and having to go to the back, and now the line for tomorrow morning started at 6 pm tonight (!?) I guess people are expected to camp out.

I'm very excited for this game, I'm planning on going to an release event on the 19th.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Geez, all I did was ask my FLGS if they could put one of each product on hold for me. FOMO is terrifying in the wild.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Randalor posted:

Geez, all I did was ask my FLGS if they could put one of each product on hold for me. FOMO is terrifying in the wild.

FOMO mixed with Disney Adults...:catstare:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

And this is why establishing friendly relations with your LFGS staff is a good thing.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/epicswitzer/status/1687501237523030029

Apparently it's incredibly easy to get at the packs without ripping the tab on the bottom, so lol

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Yeah that is not a great look. I imagine box design is the same for set 2 and 3 which they must already be printing. So hopefully they can put plastic wrap on them?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://fox59.com/news/indycrime/impd-over-300k-in-gaming-cards-stolen-before-gen-con-in-downtown-indy/

Whoopsie.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I was telling some friends that this is not the weekend for a BOLO on two white dudes, kinda nerdy looking.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
What could be on that pallet be that's work 300k+ of cards

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

goodness posted:

What could be on that pallet be that's work 300k+ of cards

a bunch of Lorcana

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, hey, I’ve seen those dudes.

every two feet

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

a bunch of Lorcana

Could also be LotR or Commander Master, those are both high-ticket sets.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They said 300k, it's clearly three booster boxes of Lorcana. The math checks out.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Randalor posted:

Could also be LotR or Commander Master, those are both high-ticket sets.

It doesn't look like WoTC boxes; it doesn't have the red and white anti-tamper tape. I can't remember what Flesh and Blood cases looked like and we haven't got Lorcana stock yet. Those are the only two I could think of that might be $300k (though how much of that is FOX News sensationalism upping that estimate). I guess it could be Pokemon or YGO, but I don't know enough about them to know if they have sets that ~50 cases would be $300k.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure how dealers transport singles in those hard cases, if a dealer was using old case boxes to bring their singles that could easily hit $300,000.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I just started reading this thread, and now I've got 11lbs of Star Trek cards on their way from Wholesale Gaming.

Why yes, I am spending money I shouldn't be, just to have something directly touch the nostalgia center of my brain.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Failson posted:

I just started reading this thread, and now I've got 11lbs of Star Trek cards on their way from Wholesale Gaming.

Why yes, I am spending money I shouldn't be, just to have something directly touch the nostalgia center of my brain.

:hmmyes:

I spend every waking moment trying not to buy Final Fantasy cards. This is fine, and good. :ohdear:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
People spent 16 hours in line on day 1 of GenCon to buy $80 in product to get a specially stamped promo version of a normal Lorcana card you can get in packs. They were flipping them on eBay that morning for $300. On day 3, Ravensberger just sent people out into the crowd handing them out to anyone who wanted one for free and the price immediately crashed.

Lol.

Lmao.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Lol that owns

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's incredible. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Railing Kill posted:

I spend every waking moment trying not to buy Final Fantasy cards. This is fine, and good. :ohdear:

It doesn't help if I post gifs of my new full art Omega and Neo Exdeath, does it. :v:

(The Neo Exdeath is my one "this is a bad financial decision but gently caress it" purchase, because he was $30 from a local)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

People spent 16 hours in line on day 1 of GenCon to buy $80 in product to get a specially stamped promo version of a normal Lorcana card you can get in packs. They were flipping them on eBay that morning for $300. On day 3, Ravensberger just sent people out into the crowd handing them out to anyone who wanted one for free and the price immediately crashed.

Lol.

Lmao.

lmao hell yeah

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Railing Kill posted:

Good thing WotC didn't announce the Final Fantasy licensed expansion for Magic the Gathering today.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Anyone know if there has been a Godzilla, or Ultraman, or Super Sentai CCG?

Characters have shown up in other games, and there have been scannable cards associated with the franchises, but I don't think any have had their own card games?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
allocations on lorcana looking real dog poo poo!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Failson posted:

Anyone know if there has been a Godzilla, or Ultraman, or Super Sentai CCG?

Characters have shown up in other games, and there have been scannable cards associated with the franchises, but I don't think any have had their own card games?

There is a Godzilla card game for the chronoclash system (used for the new Digimon CCG most prominently) but this one was a fixed boxed set.

https://chronoclashsystem.com/product/godzilla/01/en/

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is anyone on sa playing sorcery? seems like the only discussion ive seen so far has been people making GBS threads on it, but im not sure why.

i think it's pretty cool all things considered, the card quality is generally very nice, the art is great imo. i decided i am not keeping my foil pulls so i've been able to sell 3 cards so far for over $3,000. im going to work on completing a normal alpha set now and it's been an overall fun adventure.

i have one box left in the case i decided to open. been doing about one a week or so, and it's been a generally great experience with only one box that felt a little weak (but that's just because they are hovering at $900+ per box at the moment). after this i'll save my last two alpha boxes to look at in my hoard.

as far as the game goes, i do think adding the grid placement for the game pieces adds a level of complexity that's pretty fun. hopefully the beta print run is appropriately sized to allow the game to grow. i preordered another precon set and a couple of booster boxes to have some less expensive cards to build decks with. i'm hoping beta doesn't see the same level of lunatic speculation because i assume that will smother the game in its crib.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

lol went back two pages and apparently goons don't like the art from ian miller, doug kovacs, jeff easley, frazetta, etc

like i know the frazetta girls will license you to put death dealer on literally anything but come on the sorcery art and cards are absolutely incredible. this isn't anywhere near the same planet as metazoo.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

jarofpiss posted:

is anyone on sa playing sorcery? seems like the only discussion ive seen so far has been people making GBS threads on it, but im not sure why.

i think it's pretty cool all things considered, the card quality is generally very nice, the art is great imo. i decided i am not keeping my foil pulls so i've been able to sell 3 cards so far for over $3,000. im going to work on completing a normal alpha set now and it's been an overall fun adventure.

i have one box left in the case i decided to open. been doing about one a week or so, and it's been a generally great experience with only one box that felt a little weak (but that's just because they are hovering at $900+ per box at the moment). after this i'll save my last two alpha boxes to look at in my hoard.

as far as the game goes, i do think adding the grid placement for the game pieces adds a level of complexity that's pretty fun. hopefully the beta print run is appropriately sized to allow the game to grow. i preordered another precon set and a couple of booster boxes to have some less expensive cards to build decks with. i'm hoping beta doesn't see the same level of lunatic speculation because i assume that will smother the game in its crib.

It's another pump and dump scam, so no

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nine hundred dollars for a box jesus loving christ :psyduck:

That's at least twice as much as I've spent on FFTCG to date and that includes two set prereleases, a box of the newest set, and a major tournament entry.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My wife paid around $500 CAD after tax for her Lorcana preorder, but that was literally one of every product (also, the store has a policy of "A booster box is $240 if you open it in the store, otherwise it's $450" specifically to prevent people from trying to buy it to scalp it. Not open all the packs, just pull the pull tab.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's the same exact people who shilled FAB. Rudy, the open boosters guy, and a handful of others. None of the KS TCGs will be anything and it's not helped by Lorcana which is going to make a shitload of money if they're remotely competent at producing it (TBD)

FWIW, I played a few games of Lorcana on the Pixelborn client. It's generally sound, although it feels exceptionally opening hand dependent at times and top decking starts to become an issue in most decks. I only briefly played FFTCG several years ago, but I think it did its resource system better, and drawing two cards per turn would have prevented the problem of running your hand dry in Lorcana.

Evasive feels incredibly busted if you get one dropped early enough as there's not enough removal. Cards that help draw are a mixed bag. A lot of the items are just way too slow to be impactful when the game can pretty much be over by turn 6. The victory condition being 25 or 30 lore might have felt a bit better than 20.

Not having instants simplifies things, but it's a huge missed opportunity when you can leave your resources open. It's possible they add it in the next few sets, but I kinda doubt it happens so they can try to keep things easier for kids. The only way it does is if they start running out of design space too quickly.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

triple sulk posted:

It's another pump and dump scam, so no

i already dumped at well over 3x my cost basis so im not actually invested in this beyond just liking the game & art direction. the fact that foil frazetta cards are selling for approaching $3k each is absolutely insane. a vampirella #1 9.0 graded comic is like $3k lol. would like to see a serious price retraction and the game actually do well as a casual kitchen table game like they marketed.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, Sorcery is pretty but it just oozes MTG Finance.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

xK1 posted:

One of my friends is on the GenCon staff and they said they were very relieved there were no Lorcana-related injuries when the dealer room opened (but it was close).

Well there was that one guy on BGG that was complaining about possibly dying before he gets to play, but I don't know how that turned out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

triple sulk posted:

It's the same exact people who shilled FAB. Rudy, the open boosters guy, and a handful of others. None of the KS TCGs will be anything and it's not helped by Lorcana which is going to make a shitload of money if they're remotely competent at producing it (TBD)

FWIW, I played a few games of Lorcana on the Pixelborn client. It's generally sound, although it feels exceptionally opening hand dependent at times and top decking starts to become an issue in most decks. I only briefly played FFTCG several years ago, but I think it did its resource system better, and drawing two cards per turn would have prevented the problem of running your hand dry in Lorcana.

I've heard that from a lot of Lorcana reviews, every game gets into top deck territory for both players by like turn 6.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The game looks a bit shallow right now, but it's also the first set, and each color only has 34 cards each roughly. That being said, there are already seversl different archetypes per color that look like they play nicely with other colors, which is nice. I'm just hoping it does well because it seems like it's a good kid-friendly way to get people into card games.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've heard that from a lot of Lorcana reviews, every game gets into top deck territory for both players by like turn 6.

That's pretty accurate and it might make the game sound bad to a lot of people. A couple of the colors like purple will give you some card draw but it's very hard to come out ahead on hand size. Most of the items really seem worthless because you can't use them enough times to make up for their value. Songs are really hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
place out here charging $50 for a starter and booster pack, ,insane