Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Invalid Validation posted:

Demandred in coin armor is one of the things that has seared into my mind. That and him just constantly yelling for Rand while he’s loving off in a valcano.

That and the three whip crack blows and "who are you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rarity posted:

Just means they need to do extra Forsaken Coffee Hours

Please!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hexel posted:

Right. Her and Sando and Maria review scripts and make suggestions but they have no veto power. Otherwise we’d never have had to experience the travesty of Laila Aybara :ohdear:

Ugh just remembered that. Was going to do a rewarch but man that is certainly putting an obstacle to that.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That and the three whip crack blows and "who are you?"

Just reading this gives me goosebumps. So good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shageletic posted:

Ugh just remembered that. Was going to do a rewarch but man that is certainly putting an obstacle to that.

Laila is an ancient word from Manetheren meaning fridge.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I gotta reread AMOL again because this is how Demandred is in my head (speaking to Rand ofc).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's also, heartbreakingly, Gideon the Ninth.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
I'm trying to picture how they'd film that prologue when Demandred goes into the mountain to talk to the Dark One, but in my imagination the DO's ALL CAPITAL LETTER VOICE sounds like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget when he's shouting so I'm having a hard time taking them seriously.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Fobby posted:

I'm trying to picture how they'd film that prologue when Demandred goes into the mountain to talk to the Dark One, but in my imagination the DO's ALL CAPITAL LETTER VOICE sounds like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget when he's shouting so I'm having a hard time taking them seriously.

Gonna have to figure it out for the final confrontation anyway so might as well start brainstorming now

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Fobby posted:

https://youtu.be/4X8xqmu5Uyw

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fobby posted:

It's a pity Tony Jay is dead, The Transcendent One is a p good example

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I was not prepared for this.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fobby posted:

Never saw the full movie, but Benedict Cumberbatch’s Smaug from the Hobbit trilogy sounded the right combination of deep and grindy when I listened to the trailers.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I would go absolute silence w black screen, put the words on the screen like he’s seeing them on inside of eyelids, mb end the scene with loud roaring or feedback like all the sound coming in at once at the end. please do not cast some weird guy yelling at me, tia

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Patrick Stewart in full Captain Picard mode

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

since they didn't make the dragon a woman, perhaps the dark one's voice will be

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

I would go absolute silence w black screen, put the words on the screen like he’s seeing them on inside of eyelids, mb end the scene with loud roaring or feedback like all the sound coming in at once at the end. please do not cast some weird guy yelling at me, tia

Make the dark one sound like Xerxes from System Shock 2.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

I'm unexpectedly on-board with this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Fobby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dioZmKCFNOU

buffalo all day posted:

This is better tho

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

buffalo all day posted:

There's no way a show that is so rushed with all the poo poo they're trying to cram in is going to put 15 minutes worth of reading on the screen every time someone goes to shayol ghul

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

thrawn527 posted:

Honestly, my biggest hope for the show is they keep the Demandred reveal exactly as it was. It was my biggest, "Holy poo poo" moment of the entire series. Just boom, Shara out of loving nowhere, shifting the entire balance of power in the Last Battle.

It probably won't happen, because they'd have to hint at something in an early season that doesn't get paid off until the final one, and that's easier to do in a book than a show. Like, you have to at least set up Demandred a tiny bit for the pay off to work. What do you do, hire an actor for Demandred and then say, "Great, see you in several years for your actual role!" But a person can dream.

Maybe put him in a hood or something for the earlier scene. I just don't know if it would have the same impact.

Give him a mask. Say that Demandred was horribly maimed by Lews Therin in a battle. And then just have Demandred show up in bits and pieces everywhere around the World.

Demandred shows, removes the mask and it turns out that entire story was a fiction he made up specifically to gently caress with the other Forsaken and make them believe he was everywhere at once.

idk, I think it's doable.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Even easier, use him to introduce the Mirror of Mists. He can be a different actor every time, because he's too cagey to appear under his own face.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Natural 20 posted:

Say that Demandred was horribly maimed […]And then just have Demandred show up in bits and pieces everywhere around the World.

They find his arm in Seanchan, a foot in Arad Doman…

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

Even easier, use him to introduce the Mirror of Mists. He can be a different actor every time, because he's too cagey to appear under his own face.

Oh yeah that definitely works and it would be really interesting to see how each actor portrays the same personality.

latinotwink1997 posted:

They find his arm in Seanchan, a foot in Arad Doman…

A head at the Field of Merrilor..

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

2/3 of the way thru Crown of Swords and other than being intensely aware of how slow everything is compared to the last couple books I'm also really getting irritated about the sexual politics around sexual assault in it.

We have like three points of view of people who have suffered it/are suffering it and I'm including Mat and Tylin here as well. That one is especially foul because I think we're supposed ti see the power differential between them and Tylin literally starving and backing Mat into a bed as....humorous? When it's actually some gross rear end poo poo.

And Jesus lay off Morgase already. Her plot line is just to be hosed up I guess. It's not pleasant reading, is what I'm saying.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I don't disagree at all. Jordan was going for some pretty heavy topics, and in a very 90s way for the Tylin stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jordan knew exactly what he was doing with Mat/Tylin, it mirrors very real attitudes towards sexual assault of men by women

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Shageletic posted:

2/3 of the way thru Crown of Swords and other than being intensely aware of how slow everything is compared to the last couple books I'm also really getting irritated about the sexual politics around sexual assault in it.

We have like three points of view of people who have suffered it/are suffering it and I'm including Mat and Tylin here as well. That one is especially foul because I think we're supposed ti see the power differential between them and Tylin literally starving and backing Mat into a bed as....humorous? When it's actually some gross rear end poo poo.

And Jesus lay off Morgase already. Her plot line is just to be hosed up I guess. It's not pleasant reading, is what I'm saying.

All that aside, CoS has imo the single funniest scene in the series -- where Nynaeve and Elayne thank Mat for saving them -- and for that I can forgive much.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Very much so, it's that so many people think, for example, Elayne laughing it off means it's supposed to be humorous, that means he didn't make it clear enough to the reader.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It definitely comes off as men can’t be sexually abused by women. Jordan doesn’t exactly condemn it much so if he was making a statement about it being wrong it was half assed.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

In the 90s you were allowed to present a bad thing happening in a way that showed it was dehumanizing and traumatic without someone solemnly intoning “and that’s why this is bad” at the end to make sure people who aren’t media literate got the point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Idk it just feels like the author himself doesn't think it's too bad. First of all how much time it's spent, and also Mat just being annoyed but giving in anyway.

Jordan is just such an especially adroit and sensitive writer when it comes to trauma that it's a little bit of a blindside , both for for Mat/Tylin and Morgase.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

In the 90s you were allowed to present a bad thing happening in a way that showed it was dehumanizing and traumatic without someone solemnly intoning “and that’s why this is bad” at the end to make sure people who aren’t media literate got the point.
Nah I think Jordan definitely screwed up the execution even if his intentions were good. Elayne laughing at Mat after he tells her what happened is especially gross - I don't want to read a story where one of the main characters laughs at sexual assault and it never gets addressed, even if the same thing sadly does happen in real life. Jordan should have reworked the whole Tylin plot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the best that can be said is "there was an attempt." It wasn't really great and missed the mark in a lot of important ways, but I can see what he was trying to do with it, in line of his general theme of role reversal, etc.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

yeah, that's the start of the slog, and that plotline was one of the worst he wrote

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The only thing worse than that plot is the inevitable slapfight over how bad it is

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I think the best that can be said is "there was an attempt." It wasn't really great and missed the mark in a lot of important ways, but I can see what he was trying to do with it, in line of his general theme of role reversal, etc.

Yeah I'm still on the high after rereading this series and finding it way more psychologically complex than I remember.

It's also funnier than I remember. Nynaeve is straight up hilarious. I hope the TV show remembers to include that as well.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think that people feeling gross and using that feeling gross as proof that Jordan messed it up are sort of missing the point of an author putting in gross stuff to make you feel gross about a thing.

Like, I'm not convinced he was trying to say deep thoughts about the view of women sexually assaulting men, but saying "reading that was really lovely" is proof against your claim, not for it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I think that people feeling gross and using that feeling gross as proof that Jordan messed it up are sort of missing the point of an author putting in gross stuff to make you feel gross about a thing.

Like, I'm not convinced he was trying to say deep thoughts about the view of women sexually assaulting men, but saying "reading that was really lovely" is proof against your claim, not for it.

Writing unpleasant things meant to be unpleasant is a thing Jordan excels at. Basically Rand has been violated and pretty much raped by Alanna, and despite the characters in story trying to deny it, it's plain that Jordan is trying to get across the horrible nature of it.

Mat being chased by a Queen and literally being kidnapped to get hosed is played off as a joke. And it doesn't work. The intentionality of the plot breaks down somewhere.

Authors don't bat a 100 and it's OK to criticize when something they do doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The attitude of 'Oh you got sexually assaulted by woman? How lucky!' is still incredibly prevalent towards male victims in modern society and the fact that everyone laughs off what Tylin is doing to Mat is entirely the point. Jordan's intent is not to minimise, it's to show that everyone else does. The reader is supposed to recognise how hosed up this situation is.