Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kenning posted:

If you think about it, we all go to Meatland every other month.

I spent the past couple of weeks in Alberta with my brother, who has a real gift for grilling. Nothing like catching the back half of a basho while chowing down on a brisket he's had smoking for sixteen hours straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Googling meat land brought me this

https://vault.si.com/vault/1992/05/...-sport-of-japan

Once again Japan is threatened by a mountainous marauder who mashes everything in his path. Once again the behemoth's thunderous footfalls have kindled fire storms everywhere, from the backstreets of Osaka to Atami Castle in Nagoya. And once again the overlords of this island nation are conspiring to stop him. Only this time the enemy is not a 50,000-ton, flame-belching sauropod named Godzilla. This time he's a human being, a sumo wrestler known as Meat Bomb.

Godzilla, you may recall, was a nuclear freak who washed ashore after being loosed by American scientists. Meat Bomb, whose real name is Salevaa Atisanoe, but who fights in Japan under the alias Konishiki, is a Hawaiian-born Boogie-board freak who caught the sumo wave while hanging loose at Waikiki. "When I left home for Tokyo in 1982, I didn't know what sumo was," says the first non-Japanese to breach the top ranks of this medieval backwater of sport. "In fact, I didn't even know Godzilla had been to Japan. In those days I was into true-crime police dramas, like Hawaii Five-0."

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Lid posted:

medieval backwater of sport.

wow, gently caress the 90s sports media lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1686621372913782784?s=19

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Bonus Sumo
https://twitter.com/kasieko_9730/status/1686642667864969221
Kirishima in black, Hoshoryu in blue.

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
Is Hoshoryu the best example of an active rikishi who makes the sport look beautiful? He's just a delight to watch.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kennedy posted:

Is Hoshoryu the best example of an active rikishi who makes the sport look beautiful? He's just a delight to watch.

I appreciate when he mean mugs his opponents.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Kennedy posted:

I would submit Asanoyama has the most graceful and controlled yorikiri in the business right now.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I personally think Hokutofuji has the sickest steez.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kennedy posted:

I've been talking about Hoshoryu doing hot guy sumo since November, so yeah I agree.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i started picking him as my top s/k choice a few basho ago when it hit me that he just "looks" more like a future yokuzuna than any on those other guys in his group.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hoshoryu has this post match smoulder that I just find endearing. When he wins he just burns through his opponent with his gaze, but when he loses, I see wrathful indignation.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Hoshoryu has this post match smoulder that I just find endearing. When he wins he just burns through his opponent with his gaze, but when he loses, I see wrathful indignation.

That's just him squinting and trying to locate his opponent since he can't wear his glasses in the dohyo. :v:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Thauros posted:

i started picking him as my top s/k choice a few basho ago when it hit me that he just "looks" more like a future yokuzuna than any on those other guys in his group.

He has really physically matured over the last couple of years too, solidly putting on 15-20kg and filling out his frame while keeping the variety in his sumo, has been very enjoyable seeing him get Ozeki. I just hope he goes better at the rank than the last guy I was cheering for to get over the Ozeki hump - Mitakeumi :(

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
hahahaha
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1687394557409763328

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I do enjoy how there is a running gag of wrestlers falling onto the shipman during some bouts.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Happened upon MidnightSumo's Twitch channel during the last basho and now I'm kinda hooked.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's a great channel, very friendly for new fans, has a lot of !commands to help explain stuff, and a lovely discord community too.

https://twitter.com/Midnight_Sumo/status/1687710967755390977

Not sure if this was from the last basho or not, but what a wild fight.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 5, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/witch0115/status/1688136980142665728

Tree having a bit of fun with Shodai.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

drat the jungyo looks fun.

The Postman posted:

Happened upon MidnightSumo's Twitch channel during the last basho and now I'm kinda hooked.

Welcome to sumo and the thread! It's incredibly fun to watch and bullshit about. I hope you'll join us for fantasy in September!

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

What are these spritely young lads chanting in their dohyō workout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdXb2KpnAI&t=762s

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think it's 1-2-3-4.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I think it's 1-2-3-4.
Thank you blessed Vargatron, I concur.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d3b12efd7cd7b51a550dd7af86559ed5e77046ee
Tobizaru collapsed from possible dehydration during jungyo. Took almost 30 minutes between him initially collapsing, and someone having the sense to load him into an ambulance and get him to a hospital.

Deepl:

quote:

Makuuchi Tobizaru (31, Ottekaze stable) was taken to the emergency room. On this day, Tobizaru took part in makuuchi training for the first time during this summer tour, and after four rounds of practice, he clashed with yokozuna Terunofuji (31, Isekehama-Yakushitsu), who was heavy on his chest. After about eight minutes of practice, Terunofuji was rolled several times and pushed back, causing him to fall on his back and become dizzy. In the end, he pushed through with all his might, but he was unable to move, cowering as he stepped out of the ring.

Three minutes later, the makuuchi Hokushoho (21, Miyagino-ya) and juryo Atamihofuji (20, Isekehama-Yakushitsu) came to his rescue after noticing something wrong, and the two men carried him down the aisle. According to officials, he appeared to be suffering from dehydration. At that time, Tobizaru could hardly stand on his own. He then sat on a chair to rehydrate, but collapsed again and was unable to move. About 10 minutes later, paramedics rushed to the scene and transported him on a stretcher. He was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital.

He seemed to be in a clear state of consciousness when he got into the ambulance. It took about 30 minutes from the time the collision ended until the ambulance departed. We hope he will not be seriously injured.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
how does your pro athlete go down from dehydration?! this is the sort of poo poo i'm hoping will never happen at the new stables.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Meatland does not endorse dehydrating your meat.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

how does your pro athlete go down from dehydration?! this is the sort of poo poo i'm hoping will never happen at the new stables.

idk ask the ncaa

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

The Algorithm recommended this video, which is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3iow9Kn7g

It's so weird to see them celebrating their victories.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bentai posted:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d3b12efd7cd7b51a550dd7af86559ed5e77046ee
Tobizaru collapsed from possible dehydration during jungyo. Took almost 30 minutes between him initially collapsing, and someone having the sense to load him into an ambulance and get him to a hospital.
My boy :ohdear:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Average Lettuce posted:

The Algorithm recommended this video, which is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3iow9Kn7g

It's so weird to see them celebrating their victories.

It's heartening to note Shodai's wins and losses look basically the same. Shodai has always been Shodai.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

anakha posted:

Meatland does not endorse dehydrating your meat.

Yeah that's for jerks.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

hailthefish posted:

idk ask the ncaa

Football in general has issues with someone dieing every couple years.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38122126/extreme-heat-poor-air-quality-raises-concerns-young-athlete-safety

Big dudes, full pads and summer heat is a horrible combo. Article says rules are getting made, but a lot of times, not until someone dies and the organization is forced to act.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Local university soccer has been taking things seriously for the last 5 years or so. Everyone wears chest strap heart monitors and once in a while there's sideline commotion, play is called and a player is yelled at to sit down and not move, then is helped off the field to rest, retire for the day.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Akiseyama finally announced retirement, having spent 38 basho in Juryu and only 4 in Makuuchi he will become Izutsu-oyakata, I kind of figured Kakuryu was gonna take that name but who knows what shenanigans are going on with kabu behind the scenes.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Aww man, I liked Akiseyama. He always looked like someone's chubby grandmother had wandered onto the dohyo on wobbly little toothpick legs.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Marching Powder posted:

Not a pro-athlete by any means but I work outdoors year round and anecdotally, hydration is one of those things that gets you before you realize it. You don't get thirsty before you get dehydrated sometimes, during the summer months when it's real hot I have an actual hydration routine I use because it's easy to just keep pushing forward on what you're doing and not realize how much water/electrolytes/etc you've lost.

I know that these guys should have people watching them for this kind of stuff but it is actually that easy enough to miss.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Brut posted:

Akiseyama finally announced retirement, having spent 38 basho in Juryu and only 4 in Makuuchi he will become Izutsu-oyakata, I kind of figured Kakuryu was gonna take that name but who knows what shenanigans are going on with kabu behind the scenes.

Wasn't that the kabu that you had to marry the daughter of the previous holder for because their widow is the technical owner somehow? And didn't Shimannoumi marry her?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20230805-FBPUPG5I45J6ZDYGAAZKJQF44A/

Takayasu slipped a disc in his back during training, no estimate when he'll return. :smith:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

e: nooooo drat you vertebrae gods why must you hurt my fuzzball so much

Lucasar posted:

Wasn't that the kabu that you had to marry the daughter of the previous holder for because their widow is the technical owner somehow? And didn't Shimannoumi marry her?

Yes. They're stablemates. And Shimannoumi is at the basement of Juryo next month so it could get a lil bit awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Time for Takayasu to retire. When was he last healthy for more two bashos in a row? Or even a full basho for that matter