Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the classic novel that House of Leaves sort of apes, in the sense that it's full of unreliable narration and footnotes that go on and scribbling in the margins? Someone recommended it to me when I described HoL to them and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Anyway HoL is my favourite book. It's so chilling as a horror tale but it's so much more than that. The last Truant chapter always makes me cry. And I have the opening line ("This is not for you.") tattooed on my chest.

Yeah well let's see the thread about that get to 759 pages

(i did like it but it's like hearing someone loves Appetite For Destruction and a music major is like psssshhhhh have you ever tried fusion jazz? Now that's real music.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I'm gonna go read house of leaves again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i don't much like house of leaves, but pale fire is wicked good

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Book of the New Sun is incomprehensible?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

:ibadpop:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ loving lmaooo

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Pale Fire is probably the one.

I think this was it, thanks!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Soul Dentist posted:

Book of the New Sun is incomprehensible?

I mean, this is sff. There’s a substantial percentage of the reader base who are literal children and/or think anything more ambitious than a licensed Warhammer 40K book is Finnegans Wake.

BOTNS is definitely a trickier read than say, Dune. Which itself went over a lot of people’s heads

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone got any good Dune pun trivia / pub quiz team names?

Quizats Haderach is just sitting there, obviously, but I'm sure there's something better?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Bene Guessingit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

House Hardquestion

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Thinking Machines

my Other Memory is wikipedia

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

!Klams posted:

The Cool Wahads

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

kiimo posted:

House Hardquestion

SixFigureSandwich posted:

The Thinking Machines

my Other Memory is wikipedia

These are cool, I especially like The Thinking Machines!

Tree Bucket posted:

Bene Guessingit

This is loving amazing! I'll probably steal this.

:master:

(I'm secretly very touched that you remembered this from forever ago)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In the 1984 movie how did the fremen get weirding modules when they were destroyed in the battle?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

In the 1984 movie how did the fremen get weirding modules when they were destroyed in the battle?

Yueh left them the schematics!

So they built them out of turds and spit

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
did anyone ever do an edit where the fremen using the weirding modules in lynch dune are replaced by bart saying zzzzap from the john waters episode

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Queering modules?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Tree Bucket posted:

Queering modules?

only two types of dudes wear stillsuits - fremen and big fat party animals, and muad'dib don't look like a big fat party animal

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

Queering modules?

His name is a FABULOUS word

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Y'know, I'd give the failson a bit of slack if he made Dune gayer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Y'know, I'd give the failson a bit of slack if he made Dune gayer.
For that, the non-failson would have to still be alive - and Brian would have to have remained in contact with Bruce.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

For that, the non-failson would have to still be alive - and Brian would have to have remained in contact with Bruce.

Oooooh, I didn't know there was another son.

...still stands though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oooooh, I didn't know there was another son.

...still stands though.
As Brian tells it, Bruce distanced himself from his father.
As every queer person will tell you, this means that Frank was utterly obnoxious to his own son about him being gay - which doesn't really speak well of Frank, even if you somehow manage to ignore his absolutely bonkers view that's presented in GEoD.

The fact that Brian can put it like that, in print, without giving any serious thought to why, indicates that he probably wasn't very supportive or respectful of his brother either.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
“You must have wondered,” continued Stilgar, “how the Sietches stay in communication?”
Jessica acknowledged the question and its unspoken assumptions with a half-nod.
“Of course,” she said.
Stilgar gave a faint smile and waved at the far end of the cavern. “You are about to see a thing that few among even our own people have seen. It allows us to remain in contact with one another across the breadth of Arrakis itself. It is called the Zum Meeting.”
Jessica felt her pulse quicken- stilled it. A rectangle of light sprang into being in the cavern, throwing silver-edged shadows across Stilgar’s face.
Is this it? thought Jessica. Could this oblong of light be the secret means by which sietch speaks with sietch?
“Commence the Zum Meeting,” commanded Stilgar.
And then-
Madness!
Jessica recoiled. The light flared, fractured- a mosaic of lights. Distorted fragments of faces seen from strange angles. A nose, an eye, mouths- moving, slipping. A babble of sounds and voices; breathing and the oceanlike roar of fabric shifting, amplified hugely. Jessica writhed before the Zum, her mind a child’s toy boat tossed upon huge cold waves of light and noise.
“Calm yourself,” came the voice of Stilgar. “While you watch, you also are watched.”
The axiomatic truth of this statement brought Jessica back to a state of full awareness. She shook her head. Slowed her breathing. Forced relaxants down nerve pathways ragged with panic hormones. Her training exerted itself; she shed the animal desire for comprehension and simply let her senses absorb. Hadn’t they taught her that, all those years ago? Any perceptual framework could be a scaffold to build around- or a cage to escape. Her haste to understand was what stood in the way of understanding.
As her body calmed, Jessica allowed herself to perceive the Zum. A rectangle made of smaller rectangular images, generally of faces, though a few showed blank swathes of colour. The largest rectangle by far held the visage of a particularly old and distinguished-looking Fremen male. As Jessica beheld the face, she felt the animal panic of the Zum give way to a deeper, unfolding terror- a black-edged flower of dread blooming within her mind.
“No,” she whispered, as understanding ratcheted outwards in merciless concatenating waves of cognition. For she had looked at the older man in the Zum meeting confidently expecting to analyse voice, glance, movement- and had found her skills instantly thwarted. She had stepped out on to a foot that was suddenly no longer there, perhaps had never been there. The man’s visage had been passed through some kind of filter that alternately froze and unfroze the recording- stuttering, rhythmless. The implications were inescapable. Somehow, the Fremen had gained knowledge of the Bene Gesserit's most advanced nerve-reading techniques- and developed this Zum meeting whereby they could be countered. The Zum was a weapon in a war against understanding.
The older man spoke on, but his voice couldn’t be heard, to the evident discomfort of the other younger Zum participants.
He speaks without speaking, thought Jessica. Great Mother! He is a parable from the old tales made flesh!
And her mind raced to her son, Paul, and to the emrbyonic foetal baby zygote within her uterine wombplace.
As the Zum meeting continued, and others spoke, Jessica realised with immense and shameful relief that the abilities granted her by the sisterhood were still of some use:
The Zum participant Grobdar, for instance, was either in the profound meditative trance of a fourth-level bistar, or his camera had frozen. Somarra’s sound recording apparatus had been activated, even though it was not her turn to speak, amplifying the sound of her breathing hugely and causing ripples of alarm through the other Fremen. Subtle twitches of the eye and tendons told Jessica that Kevn had his attention on another screen none of them could see; and Ohnlifanz, the youngest and most desirable of the Fremen females present, possessed a surprisingly high-quality camera and lighting rig for some reason.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Beautiful.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's :discourse:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Absolutely fantastic

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tree Bucket posted:

Zum Meeting

Superb.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm queer and have had a strained relationship with my dad, but it had more to do with us having totally different outlooks on things, some depression and me being a smart rear end as a child. It could be coincidence. I do find it hard to square with Duncan getting told off by Leto II for being weird about the Fish Speakers having sex.

Then again if an old horny guy is going to have a double standard for gay stuff it's gonna be for some girl on girl.

so in conclusion Frank Herbert is a land of contrasts

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
"May your wife chirp and chatter."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

He gives his water to the tribe

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shoehead posted:

He gives his water to the tribe

He’s not a “no nut naib”

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You gotta drown the baby worm in order to release the water of life.... iykwim

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber