Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

No Wave posted:

Doesnt switch already use SSD? No spinning plates in my handheld. Idk if any nintendo system has had a spinny hard drive.

EDIT: oh SD vs SSD? I'll read up on it I think.

It uses another type of flash storage in the console itself (because it's cheaper than a SSD), plus a microSD card slot.

The only Nintendo consoles to use spinning plates were those where the games came on disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

No Wave posted:

Doesnt switch already use SSD? No spinning plates in my handheld. Idk if any nintendo system has had a spinny hard drive.
Switch's internal memory is an eMMC module, basically a precursor to SSD. It's notably faster than microSD cards, but also slower than modern SSD speeds. Cheaper, though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Waffle! posted:

And then Sony or Namco patented loading screen games, so no one else can do it. Same with WB and the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. Such wasted potential.

It expired a while back:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/12/loading-screen-boredom-may-behind-us-thanks-to-expiring-patent/

Having a noticable loading screen in the day and age of SSDs is a bit of a sin tho.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like loading screens that have cool concept art or little dongles you can play with, like how the Fire Emblems on the Switch have a little sprite that runs back and forth as you tilt the controller, and jumps if you press a button.

The best one was in Okami, because you could mash buttons (either as fast as possible or in a rhythm, depending on the screen) to get more Demon Fang items.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

https://twitter.com/poncle_vampire/status/1687494369362817024

Enjoy, Switch friendos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, 10% off is huge. It was too expensive before but I can't imagine turning it down now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I mean TOTK was good but this will challenge for GOTY…

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I was obsessed with vampire survivors for like three or four days it was a ton of fun. Definitely helps that I'm a Castlevania nerd and the theme/monster designs are basically straight up lifted from cv

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not just basically. Alot of sprites were straight up stolen from Castlevania games. But over time they had to change them. Weirdly not all at once though. So I have no idea what was going on with the legal side of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
VS is still one of the best for very good reason.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hrist posted:

Not just basically. Alot of sprites were straight up stolen from Castlevania games. But over time they had to change them. Weirdly not all at once though. So I have no idea what was going on with the legal side of it.

Not according to the dev.

https://www.pcgamer.com/vampire-survivors-didnt-rip-off-castlevania-sprites-after-all/

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Vampire Survivors on the bus and train, hell yeah.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vampire Survivors was a good week (and notable enough that even I tried to make a clone) but I personally find Brotato more satisfying overall.

Though VS going berserk and bringing the framerate to its knees is definitely a high high.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

lol ok, the bone pillar enemies were just a weird coincidence

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Time to buy VS and all its DLC for the third time 🫡🫡🫡🫡🫡

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Wrex Ruckus posted:

lol ok, the bone pillar enemies were just a weird coincidence

There's a large difference between "referenced a game we've taken aesthetic cues from" and "literally ripped the sprites"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

How does Crisis Core run on Switch? Kind of regret getting it on ps5, im in the mood to be doing missions during my lunch break. Im assuming theres no cross save compatibility like cool games like Hades.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For me, it was seeing the mud men in the Inlaid Library, and remembering them looking essentially exactly like that in Castlevania 3.

But I absolutely love CV3 (and SotN), so I don't give a poo poo if it's a super close rip-off; the Castlevania style is what sold me on it in the first place.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vampire Survivors saying they didn’t steal Castlevania sprites:

https://youtu.be/6TLo4Z_LWu4

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
well yeah the Vampire Survivors are saying that

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have Vampire Savior on my switch already

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Are you surviving vampire attacks or a vampire surviving attacks?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

otter posted:

Yes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

otter posted:

No.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

otter posted:

Kinda.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

otter posted:

That last one is the other Vampire Survivors.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They are both great platformers with backtracking and manual attacking

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish Nintendo would release a Wii Classic, specifically so I can play Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort without finding a Wii. It’d be even cooler if I could transfer my og Miis to the Wii Classic from a Switch.

Switch Sports was fun but fell short in so many random ways.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can get a WiiU!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Aren’t Wii’s like $20 on every corner? They sold a billion of them, just go find one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I assure you your local Salvation Army has a dozen Wiis they’re dying for you to take

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wii’s are both cheap and comically easy to mod with custom firmware, it’s worth it to just pick one up OP

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just started xb1 future connected and if anything tries to hurt kino then I shall tear them asunder

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

Aren’t Wii’s like $20 on every corner? They sold a billion of them, just go find one.
There's a good chance a Wii won't work with your current TV though, at least not without an upscaler.

Now I like gaming on a 13" CRT as much as anyone but that's not the ideal Wii Sports experience.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have TVs dropped the old composite inputs? I wouldn’t know my TV is a decade old lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Question: Is there any way to hook up a sim racing wheel/pedals to a Nintendo Switch? I use a Thrustmaster T128 on PS4 and was wondering if it would work on a Switch (for Grid Autosport or WRC10)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hatty posted:

Have TVs dropped the old composite inputs? I wouldn’t know my TV is a decade old lol
Yeah they're gone. S-video and component are long gone too.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a good chance a Wii won't work with your current TV though, at least not without an upscaler.

Now I like gaming on a 13" CRT as much as anyone but that's not the ideal Wii Sports experience.

A 19” CRT works for this but drat it takes up a ridiculous amount of room.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Most TVs still have at least an AV-In port that takes a TRRS jack and breaks it out into audio and composite RCA jacks. Unfortunately, you either have it plugged in already or probably lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kvlt! posted:

Question: Is there any way to hook up a sim racing wheel/pedals to a Nintendo Switch? I use a Thrustmaster T128 on PS4 and was wondering if it would work on a Switch (for Grid Autosport or WRC10)

There are Switch wheels by Hori supported by a bunch of games, so that PS4 one might work with the Mayflash NS adapter.