Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe with automator you can have your watch set for the appropriate time zone during work hours?

Ooh that may solve it! Seems like it’s not as simple as automation - set time zone, but this would be the smoothest way for daily use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Heading to Florida this weekend. Does a series 5 watch or SE have any issues with salt water? Or is the recommendation to not have it in salt water and sand?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Heading to Florida this weekend. Does a series 5 watch or SE have any issues with salt water? Or is the recommendation to not have it in salt water and sand?

go nuts, rinse it off afterward and make sure you rinse the holes + do the purge when you're done

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, the Series 3 (first to get waterproofing) had its ads showing people swimming in the ocean. I don’t think it’s ever been an issue.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you're much more likely to gently caress it up blasting it with shower jets than submerging it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, I’m not sure there is much difference between salt water and fresh water IF the waterproofing holds up. The issue is generally that any leaks with salt water are much worse.

I think.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Theres been reports that the seals deteriorate over time on their own, like absolutely should work as advertised when new but it gets riskier as time goes on. On the plus side if you bring it in when the seal breaks and they refuse to do a replacement you might be able to leverage it into a small discount on a new one :v:

Violator
May 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It's pretty annoying you can't use your watch to make a note.

Can you create a Shortcut to do it?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

None whatsoever. All the surfers around me wear them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Violator posted:

Can you create a Shortcut to do it?

There's the voice memo app too. Which sucks if you want text and not audio because it has no transcribe feature.. but there are apps for that if one were interested.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zwille posted:

Theres been reports that the seals deteriorate over time on their own, like absolutely should work as advertised when new but it gets riskier as time goes on. On the plus side if you bring it in when the seal breaks and they refuse to do a replacement you might be able to leverage it into a small discount on a new one :v:

I'm pretty sure this happened to my 6. After a day at the beach (not the first with that watch) the touchscreen stopped responding. Other functions still worked but it looked like maybe some breakdown of the screen seal.

It was replaced at no cost under Apple Care.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

You don’t want this heat.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Half of the US has been hotter than Florida lately. Maybe they do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

go nuts, rinse it off afterward and make sure you rinse the holes + do the purge when you're done

Yeah rinse it off with fresh water and make sure you turn the crown. Mine got kinda gunky with salt.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

smackfu posted:

Also, I’m not sure there is much difference between salt water and fresh water IF the waterproofing holds up. The issue is generally that any leaks with salt water are much worse.

I think.

Salt is both abrasive and corrosive to metal.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
My mom is in the market to replace her old watch (I don’t know what series) and was looking at S8. Is S9 coming out soon(within 2 months?) or should she just get the S8 now?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

My mom is in the market to replace her old watch (I don’t know what series) and was looking at S8. Is S9 coming out soon(within 2 months?) or should she just get the S8 now?

By December probably.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

By December probably.

If by December you mean September sure.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Expectation of the S9 is that they'll feature a new SOC that's less power hungry on top of whatever other features are included. The worthiness of waiting vs just getting something now will differs from person to person but short of the Watch being unusable day to day due to battery life or some other physical dysfunction, I'd wait.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Once you get to July/August you're definitely better off waiting for whatever is dropping in the fall. Either the new poo poo is amazing and you'll get that, or you can pickup previous years models on sale as they clear out inventory.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering the battery time I get out of an S8 (and back then out of an S6), I wouldn't be mad if they'd trade any potential battery savings for true 24/7 HR monitoring a la Fitbit.

Also, I'd like dual-frequency GPS in the non-Ultra one.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Half of the US has been hotter than Florida lately. Maybe they do.

Good grief. If half of the entire country has been hotter than South Beach, Miami, stay strong.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
St. Louis is hotter than Miami right now.

Being surrounded by ocean has an advantage, kind of. Sure in Florida it's in the 90s for at least three months every year, but it very rarely gets above 95. At least in the places people live.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Not to keep the derail going, but it was 109 yesterday :v:

e: grilling steak on the beach sidewalk and sweaty thongs are a thing for now. Hope my watch makes it.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 30, 2023

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

drat, did two laps in a pool with my Series 6 (in swim mode) and the screen died shortly thereafter on the way home. The watch itself worked long enough to format/reset but the screen is definitely kaput.

I never really considered how dependent I was on wrist-accessible info before it died, or for fitness tracking and Siri (when she worked).

As an out of warranty repair is $300 I guess I'm slumming it with an analog watch before September comes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
drat. I know poo poo happens but that sucks.

How old is the watch? Were there any signs of damage like bulging or cracks? Anything to indicate something broke a seal? I know the water proof coating they put on that poo poo can wear off after time, but I've never seen it for myself.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Every other surfer in the water out in LA has an apple watch on while surfing. Sucks you lost the lottery on that one. Sorry man.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

drat. I know poo poo happens but that sucks.

How old is the watch? Were there any signs of damage like bulging or cracks? Anything to indicate something broke a seal? I know the water proof coating they put on that poo poo can wear off after time, but I've never seen it for myself.

I've had it since April of 2022 and the original owner got it March of 2021. Other than light scratches on the case I've never had an issue with it even with prior water activity. The biggest issue I've had was it being iffy about responding to screen presses until completely dry.

The real crime here is I just spent $20 on half-dozen knock-off Alpine, Trail, and Ocean bands that looked really good with it (the CRESTED store on AliExpress).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my watch 6 is going on 3 years old and the battery is noticeably not as good, getting through a day is still very doable but starting to stretch it.

For now I just charge it during downtime , but the 9 seems like a no brainer upgrade if you have a 6 or older (once released this September if the rumors are correct).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rumors going around about the AWU2 getting a black anodized version (or whatever the process is called with Titanium).

Goddamn you, Apple.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My little series 5 is barely making it through the day, just need you to limp into September little mate.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeast posted:

My little series 5 is barely making it through the day, just need you to limp into September little mate.

Yeah, my 5 is around 80% battery. I usually charge it around 11am, which takes an hour or two, then it lasts me until the next day.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

besides amazon where can i shop for cool watch bands? ideally cheaper than apple but nicer than $14 alibaba drop shipped stuff. for fashion not utility. i want nice feeling leather and cool fabrics and poo poo

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’ve been getting a ton from Temu. Same drop shipped stuff but without the markup at least

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My spouse and I’ve liked ours from epicwatchbands.com

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’ve been getting a ton from Temu. Same drop shipped stuff but without the markup at least

ordering anything from Temu is a rly good way to get some nsfw ads served if you don't have good blockers

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ok Comboomer posted:

ordering anything from Temu is a rly good way to get some nsfw ads served if you don't have good blockers

…why are you using the internet without an adblocker?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

having worked in ad tech, you'd be shocked how many people do!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m not, but I recently did some weekend tech support for a family member who was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Do you know how many people are blown away something like UBlock Origin exists?