Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Swing State Victim posted:

After bouncing off this game a couple times, since the last DLC it’s finally grabbed me the way CK2 did. All the stuff to do is great.

Opened up as king of Great Moravia in 867, which is one of my favorite starts. The king is ancient and his life is basically used getting an heir and a stable succession. Ended up getting a mediocre hunchbacked son whose only saving grace was his skill in diplomacy. Didn’t look great as the Magyars were breathing down my neck.

As luck would have it, young, backhumped Budivoj turned out to be the finest poet in all of Christendom. He won a recital in Venice at 16 when a clap back at someone who insulted his height turned into the most savage diss track in a century. On the return home he met a lowborn Slavic knight who is now his best friend and personal champion. Together they’ve won 5 more tourneys including a chess tourney where my knight beat me in the semifinal and then in the final pulled out a surprise upset victory against a 38 learning giant lorebeard (literally known as “the Bearded”).

It’s like 50 years in and I haven’t even declared a war yet. His fame from winning poetry slams means smaller Christian lords beg him for vassalage and even hostile pagans adore this stooped over virtuoso.

im in year 1310 starting from 867, highest title held was duke (not counting the time that the basileus granted me the kingdom of moldavia which i lost immediately when all my vassals joined an overthrow faction) and having declared no wars, playing at 2x speed, and i ve been engaged almost the entire time. the slow part is right now where i ve reached my development goals, make plenty of money, and am basically just building stuff while throwing tournaments every once in a while to level up my accolades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
turns out quote is not edit :thunk:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Getting back into this after a hiatus, which DLC are worth it?
Some of them have some rather scathing reviews.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

as always with Paradox games, 90% of negative reviews for DLCs are people upset with stuff in the free patch and people upset that there are DLCs at all (this should've been in the base game!!!!!!!!11)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sure, but when stuff is mostly negative, it raises some eyebrows. And it's not like Paradox hasn't released DLC of questionable quality in the past.

Which is coincidentally why I figured I'd ask here.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 4, 2023

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I really like tours and tournament. I think it adds some fun things into the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

AlbertFlasher posted:

I really like tours and tournament. I think it adds some fun things into the game.

I've been eyeing that, but the price is pretty steep. Still worth it at asking price, or best to wait for a sale?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Broken Cog posted:

I've been eyeing that, but the price is pretty steep. Still worth it at asking price, or best to wait for a sale?

Eh, I can't really say. It depends on how much you like CK3. Like most games I would say wait until it's on sale but if you have $30 that's burning a hole in your pocket and you like CK3 then I would say go for it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Just did a very slow and methodical Count of Mann > Varangian adventure to Caligari > concert to Hellenism > Dismantle the Papacy run. There are few things I enjoy more than crucifying the pope and shaking my head at the false pontifex Maximus.

Stayed unreformed for the 200+ years it took me to pull this off. Have now reformed Hellenism and am gonna get to work on dynasty of crowns.

Just genuinely one of my most enjoyable playthroughs .

Hybridized with Catalan early on in order to snag High Partition in the first generation and man that made all the difference. Let me keep Sardinia the whole time and now it’s a moneymaking fortress

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

Broken Cog posted:

Getting back into this after a hiatus, which DLC are worth it?
Some of them have some rather scathing reviews.

The Royal Court one is almost mandatory imo, just adds a lot of character and fun options to the game. Tours and Tournaments does something similar but is admittedly a bit steep rn.

Old Gods changes how the Viking civs work completely and for the better, you can become ridiculously powerful.

Otherwise it's really whatever catches your eye. There's a new one coming soon that looks pretty good. Only DLC I would actively avoid is the Friends & Foes one, it just adds random events and a lot of them can just torpedo a run instantly.

Dec 30, 2008
The only bad DLC they've release is the Iberia one.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
new dev diary - wet nurses, rites of passage and brainwashing influencing ward's personality

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Don't feel great about the way they're presenting the rites of passage stuff, really gives the vibe of "I watched a National Geographic special about Tribal Peoples and their Rituals and decided to put that in the game" lmao. Specifically making it a tribal-only thing feels exoticizing and just inaccurate. All kinds of societies and cultures have rites of passage to mark transitions between life stages—getting your driver's license is just as much a rite of passage as receiving tattoos or performing a hunt, we just more heavily anthropologize one than the other.

And by making it just a mishmash of "the most common or interesting rituals" it feels like they're treating all tribal societies as functionally interchangeable. Which on top of reflecting old racist ideas is just really boring and flat! If rites of passage were cultural traditions and extended beyond just "tribal" peoples it could be really cool! Give me specificity and texture, not regurgitated colonialist slop.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's pretty much exactly the vibe I got yeah. And making the whole world generic as gently caress murders replayability, I think the generalized approach to everything is a huge failure.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unrelated, I'm extremely impressed with the Elder Kings 2 progress so far, the devs have put an insane amount of detail into the game already. And it'll only get better as they work on more stuff for the rest of the map.
Highly recommend checking it out if you want a break from the base CK3 experience.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 8, 2023

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Broken Cog posted:

Unrelated, I'm extremely impressed with the Elder Kings 2 progress so far, the devs have put an insane amount of detail into the game already. And it'll only get better as they work on more stuff for the rest of the map.
Highly recommend checking it out if you want a break from the base CK3 experience.

Can you play as an Argonian?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neurion posted:

Can you play as an Argonian?
Yeah, you can play basically anything you're familiar with from the ES universe, including some extinct races like Dwemer if you use the character creator. There's unique cultures and religions for everything too.

The map is mostly filled out, it's just more feature complete in the Skyrim and Cyrodil areas, and I think Morrowind might be next to get more content.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've seen the following a summary:

CK2 + DLC > CK3 + DLC > CK3 > CK2

Is this fair?

There's like £150+ of CK2 DLC so prob not keen to do that. Is CK3 base game just a blank foundation to load DLC and mods on?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I don't think it's accurate to say that CK2 + DLC is better than CK3 + DLC anymore, the CK3 DLC in general is very good with one kinda miss (Crab Mentality of Iberia), but even then it does make that specific region very interesting. The other expansions are legitimately fantastic.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Omnicarus posted:

I don't think it's accurate to say that CK2 + DLC is better than CK3 + DLC anymore, the CK3 DLC in general is very good with one kinda miss (Crab Mentality of Iberia), but even then it does make that specific region very interesting. The other expansions are legitimately fantastic.

You used to see Hispania get created fairly reliably, but now it practically never happens organically.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any decisions that take all your land/vassals and make it part of a de jure title? Im working on my Dyre -> Genghis run, and the slow drift of titles to my little Mongolian-Norse empire is bumming me out

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Is this fair?

There's like £150+ of CK2 DLC so prob not keen to do that. Is CK3 base game just a blank foundation to load DLC and mods on?

I really think you should think of them as very different games. CK2 is more mechanically complex across the map and it is harder to expand. Each DLC tends to improve some area of the map and offers more replayability in different regions. CK 3 on the other hand very much is an RP simulator and the DLC really leans into that. The strategy elements are dead easy and expanding is no sweat. So if you are just a map painter, CK 3 offers much less than CK 2 right now.

Fundamentally they are different games with different aims.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Moreau posted:

Are there any decisions that take all your land/vassals and make it part of a de jure title? Im working on my Dyre -> Genghis run, and the slow drift of titles to my little Mongolian-Norse empire is bumming me out

I don’t know anything aside from putting your chancellor to work.

There are a handful of unique decisions like reforming the Roman Empire, or creating the North Sea Empire that will do the trick, but that’s all I know of.

Anyone have tips for unlocking a legendary hunt? I’ve never seen one yet.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t know anything aside from putting your chancellor to work.

There are a handful of unique decisions like reforming the Roman Empire, or creating the North Sea Empire that will do the trick, but that’s all I know of.

Yeah unless it's a title with it's own special decision I've never seen anything like that.

quote:

Anyone have tips for unlocking a legendary hunt? I’ve never seen one yet.

There's a perk that makes them more likely, but other than 'hunt on cooldown' and 'have a lot of land with low dev' I'm not sure there's any reliable way it's just RNG I think?

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Is this fair?

If you haven’t played either game, most of the joy is in the roleplay and character dynamics. You will get that from either game. The DLC just adds more around that.

In general I think CK3’s DLC has gotten close to CK2 in depth and quality. The base religion mechanics as well as the culture stuff added in Royal Court are straight up better in most ways. Warfare is very gameable in both, but in different ways. Where CK3 still lags a lot is in regional flavor, especially a few specific areas such as missing a lot of the extra Catholic events/mechanics (College of Cardinals, children’s crusade, 4th Crusade, etc.) and the eastern 1/3rd of the map needing something like the China interaction mechanics from CK2.

CK3 also has way less memey/joke content like the satanists, immortality, horse popes, Sunset Invasion, etc. for whatever that means to you.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Is this fair?

Steam charts shows 7x more people are playing CK3 than CK2, so no, I'd not say that it's accurate. If it were actually better, people would play CK2.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only thing CK2 as on 3 is regional flavor and more different types of governments

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Do they offer the subscription service for CK2 where you are? Steam says it's free to play with a $5 dollar a month subscription for all the DLC's. You could try it out to see if you like it if that is available. CK2 feels more isolated and different areas feel like they play differently. Everything government wise seems more similar in CK3, but the personal events and court intrigue are more fun IMO.

Both of the games play pretty similar though, I was able to jump in from CK2 and basically understand everything about CK3.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
CK3 needs republics and trade, though

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Cheers everyone. Sounds like CK3 is more my thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CK3 has a much better UI, so if you're just starting out it's absolutely the way to go.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, setting aside everything else, CK3 is just flat-out more comprehensible when you pick it up.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

When you’ve done …dynasty of many crowns(?) I can’t remember the name of it… run, do you normally just gobble up empires, give kingdoms to your family, and then dissolve the empire? Or do you do it differently?

My issue now is that no one likes my faith so no one will marry my family. So the way to get kingdoms is via war

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Trevor Hale posted:

When you’ve done …dynasty of many crowns(?) I can’t remember the name of it… run, do you normally just gobble up empires, give kingdoms to your family, and then dissolve the empire? Or do you do it differently?

My issue now is that no one likes my faith so no one will marry my family. So the way to get kingdoms is via war

That’s probably the easiest way to do it. You can also get there by attrition just by having a dynasty so huge that people have to marry them. Crusades also help you put a family member on the throne if you win.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I did it in a tall Sardinia run where I sat around doing intrigue for a couple generations. Betroth your dynasty members to various king's/emperor's children (matrilineally where necessary, and usually you are targeting secondborns), then the people further up the line of succession suffer a series of oopsies and what do you know, you're married to the next king and a generation later the kids bear your dynasty name. (Can also marry daughters, kill any male successor kids, then kill the parents so that the daughter becomes queen, then you have kids in your dynasty etc etc.)

But yes, taking over the land yourself and then just handing it to dynasty members and making them independent is the much more immediate and probably easier route.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, you don't even have to do any shenanigans with destroying titles, all you need to do is capture land and then either give them a kingdom or two and grant them independence, or give them one of your spare Emperor titles (since emperors can't be vassals this automatically makes them independent).

If you're earnestly going for Dynasty of Many Crowns you'll likely get powerful enough that you'll be steamrolling AI kingdoms or empires just for something to do (caveat, I haven't actually PLAYED a game with Tours and Tournaments yet because I've been waiting for mod updates, but a lot of people say that DLC has made peacetime a lot more interesting so I'm looking forward).

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Trevor Hale posted:

Usually it's a mix of winning crusades, then granting independence to a few kingdoms in a large empire (Krete/Cyprus/Sardinia/Venice are great for this if you don't want to lose too much territory)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Trevor Hale posted:

I did it combined with the iberian decision that makes each de jure kingdom an empire and each duchy I kingdom. I just granted all the kingdoms and duchies to people in my dynasty til I hit the threshold then gave them independence and hit the iberian compromise decision

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Say "Thanks, Mr. Skeltal"