Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

and yet i still feel like this fake employee's salary was shockingly low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

cash crab posted:

and yet i still feel like this fake employee's salary was shockingly low

And with how fast food has been running on skeleton crews she probably was actually doing the work of two or three people anyway.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Raldikuk posted:

And with how fast food has been running on skeleton crews she probably was actually doing the work of two or three people anyway.

They made sure to list the 20k because that sounds like a lot of money to poor people, especially in a state like Pennsylvania where the min wage is 7.25.
I wouldn't be surprised if she effectively made up a ghost employee to recapture the OT she wasn't getting paid. Until 2021 the exempt employee minimum salary was sub 40k and is now a princely 45k -but up to 10% of that can be bonuses.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Raldikuk posted:

i work in bars mostly, but i'm sure the post-pandemic dynamic is the same for fast-food service, too: companies realized they could burn out one or two people for a serious discount by constantly telegraphing to them that "no one wants to work anymore" and saying that people simply weren't applying. i have zero doubt that this woman didn't get caught until she earned another 20k simply because on paper, she was probably demonstrating the productivity of an entire rear end other human being for an extended period of time. anyway, i hope she uses her administrative prowess to develop a fake identity and swindles some other company out of even more money.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

my dude this aint it chief but yall aint ready to have that conversation

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Snippets from the article:

quote:

The company said full-time employees can book a room at an on-campus hotel in Mountain View for $99 a night in what it’s deeming a “Summer Special,” according to materials viewed by CNBC. The description states that the special will run through Sept. 30 in hopes it’ll “make it easier for Googlers to transition to the hybrid workplace.”

Since the promotion is for unapproved business travel, the company will not reimburse their stays, but will require employees to use their personal credit cards, the special’s description states.

“Just imagine no commute to the office in the morning and instead, you could have an extra hour of sleep and less friction,” the description reads. “Next, you could walk out of your room and quickly grab a delicious breakfast or get a workout in before work starts.”

The ad goes on to say that after the work day ends, “you could enjoy a quiet evening on top of the rooftop deck or take in one of the fun local activities.”

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

lmao the company doesn’t cover the cost

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lol steal 20k and you're a crook steal 2 million you're a genius

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just got an email about our "back to work" plan:

1) if you come in four days a week you get a desk and they will allow you TWO storage tote boxes.

2) three days a week? you get a hybrid/shared desk and no storage boxes.

3) everyone else figure it out on your own. there are some hoteling stations.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Work from home as a service

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i tried to go back to a 9 to 5 after 7 years of wfh and nope, even for that salary, it ain't happening

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I struggle to find 8 hours worth of stuff to do even when I'm physically there.

i guess I just hate working. poo poo sucks.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

If you can't pay the 99 bucks a night google police force you out of the room and take you to google prison, which is the hotel room you were just in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how much does housing cost in Mountain View if you wanted to move back ?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I struggle to find 8 hours worth of stuff to do even when I'm physically there.

i guess I just hate working. poo poo sucks.

I have yet to meet anyone who worked a white collar job who actually spent more than like 4 hours working, tops.

Now when I worked with janitors it was closer to 7 hours, with the caveat that we talked constantly while working.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

euphronius posted:

Average rent is $3,230. 99$ a month comes out to about 3,000 a month. That's a 230 dollar value! Plus one extra hour of sleep!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmfao jesus gently caress

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Average rent is $3,230. 99$ a month comes out to about 3,000 a month. That's a 230 dollar value! Plus one extra hour of sleep!

Don't forget to factor in the water, electricity (Aircon), wifi, cleaning and bedsheets laundry

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bet they make you leave every so often to avoid you getting actual rights

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

Don't forget to factor in the water, electricity (Aircon), wifi, cleaning and bedsheets laundry

It's a hotel, you don't have to pay for any of that

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

quote:

The description states that the special will run through Sept. 30

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

euphronius posted:

Hahahahahaha. A 1-bedroom apartment averages at $3200-3600, depending on who you believe. You don't want to know the housing prices.

e: Note that in a real apartment you can have a partner sleeping over with you, throw parties, have a fish or two and maybe even a cat/dog and in general live as though this is your own space.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

I have yet to meet anyone who worked a white collar job who actually spent more than like 4 hours working, tops.

Now when I worked with janitors it was closer to 7 hours, with the caveat that we talked constantly while working.

i work on film sets and I often don't break at all for 6 hours, eat and use the bathroom in my half hour meal break, and then do another 6 or more hours non stop. I'm making like a commercial for winter jackets in 100 degree los angeles heat and absolutely murdering my body

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

teachers work way more than 4 hours a day

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Teachers aren't white collar, though, they're "essential"

*euphemism overload*

Edit: my white collar 40 weekly hours break down as follows
4 h actual work
8 h meetings
2.5 h lunch
2.5 h toilet breaks
23 h procrastinating while worrying about being found out

jeebus bob has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Aug 4, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

jeebus bob posted:

*euphemism overload*

4 h actual work
8 h meetings
2.5 h lunch
2.5 h toilet breaks

I would like one of those jobs please

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jeebus bob posted:

*euphemism overload*

4 h actual work
8 h meetings
2.5 h lunch
2.5 h toilet breaks

This is eerily similar to my work-week. More hours of meetings but I'm WFH so mostly I'm just browsing the forums during those calls 🤙

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life

Unfortunately nobody wants to pay me to lay in bed and moan about my hangover

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Just imagine these perks that you've already grown accustomed to via WFH but in a company town! Wow! Amazing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would like one of those jobs please

learn to code

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

jeebus bob posted:

yep there she is

also: knowing that I'd have to really piss someone off for it to ever matter.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Antonymous posted:

cmon it's literally a famous phrase

"the north won the war, but the south won the peace"

Well I had never heard it!

I will remember it tho

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Shame Boy posted:

It's a hotel, you don't have to pay for any of that

Yes, why do you think I specified only bedsheet laundry? ...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

learn to code

at this point learning to code won't help

learn to AI prompt engineer?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Note that in a real apartment you can have a partner sleeping over with you, throw parties,

slow down there, these are google workers

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Antonymous posted:

i work on film sets and I often don't break at all for 6 hours, eat and use the bathroom in my half hour meal break, and then do another 6 or more hours non stop. I'm making like a commercial for winter jackets in 100 degree los angeles heat and absolutely murdering my body

whats the closest thing you've used thats like that imax backpack rig thing

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

tokin opposition posted:

I've worked in packing plants/warehouses and such that actually paid p decent, some even offered reasonable benefits/growing wages and you would absolutely be able to have a reasonable solo income or dual income comparable to low level office jobs. The real hitch with these jobs is you'd see p much zero white people other than supervisors because that work is just non stop production. They follow the bare min of labor laws, you get your two breaks, your lunch, and that's it. Cellphone in a locker but it's not like even if you had it there'd be time to look at it, you're just working as hard and as fast as you can to barely keep up with speed of the lines. Whatever role you're on it's just a torrent of it. Every minute you get paid for you're doing something and it really does wear you down.

It's crazy that people refer to these lower tiers of employment as lazy options, literally no one saying that poo poo could last a week in a plant like that. Probably not even two days in a row.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
yeah, I once worked a job where for the entire shift it was standing in front of a loud machine spitting out hot, wet styrofoam products that I had to quickly stack onto pallets. There was multiple machines running so it was a constant stream without any chance to stop for hours on end and you had to dextrously stack finicky light items in specific orientations over and over and over

low skill job

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tokin opposition posted:

at this point learning to code won't help

learn to AI prompt engineer?
learn to code*

*in a language that nobody other than large banks or the feds have used since 1985, or in a newly invented language and happen to pick the right one for startup bros to ride the wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

Yes, why do you think I specified only bedsheet laundry? ...

Yeah ok I misinterpreted :shobon: