Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I uninstalled Slack due to communication tool overload. If you guys made a discord I'd be likely to be on that instead!!

Discord might be a better fit for goons but I'll idle the slack channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BadOptics posted:

God I hate bitlocker and this org even more so for not having some way of getting recovery keys without remembering to pull them each time you work on a PC or depending on the user (lol). Hospital being ran like it's a SOHO.

Your AD admins suck, those keys should be on the computer object.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

KillHour posted:

You did that on purpose so we'd all have to google it didn't you

Doing my part for the IWW

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mllaneza posted:

Your AD admins suck, those keys should be on the computer object.

Or intune and entra, it's incredibly easy to query those(along with the new WinLAPS data).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Was forced to defend switching to SharePoint because the alternative is staying with the loving mapped network drives over a bargain basement VPN that breaks so often users have just stopped sending in tickets to get it fixed

My coworker wanted the later

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

for clarification sake I hope you mean sharepoint online

if so, it's a perfectly reasonable solution for that

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Fool posted:

for clarification sake I hope you mean sharepoint online

if so, it's a perfectly reasonable solution for that

yeah SPO, I just know that this thread has had Opinions on sharepoint before

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our mapped drives equal about 1PB.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

yeah SPO, I just know that this thread has had Opinions on sharepoint before

I mean I think the general consensus is that Sharepoint, the on-premises server solution, blows and should never be used ever. SPO is a relatively different beast because A) Microsoft deals with all the bullshit of the product and B) it works reasonably well as the back-end file storage for Teams.

We've moved entirely to using the Teams-linked Sharepoint libraries as the modern replacement for network shared drives, synced locally to machines via the OneDrive client, and it works quite well once you've gotten the library IDs and reformatted them properly to paste into the Intune config profile. Rudy Ooms' blog (call4cloud.nl) has all the info for this - note that while he documents a way to reconstruct the library IDs by clicking the sync button in Sharepoint and looking at the dev console in Chrome to check the response details, you should be able to get the pop-up that allows you to copy the library ID if the user you're using is granted Global Admin or Sharepoint Admin, and that seems to take a few hours to propagate into Sharepoint - if you've just upgraded the role of the user you're using to sign into Sharepoint to get the library IDs, wait a few hours or even a day because otherwise the Sync popup won't contain the "Copy Library ID" link. (And remember that copied library ID is using HTTP representation of characters, so you need to find/replace to change %2A to hyphen, for example). You also need to set up the TimerAutoMount reg key so that the libraries map immediately rather than "up to 8 hours" - Rudy has a blog page about that using Remediations in Intune to detect and reapply the reg key up to every hour if you want.

So yeah, not necessarily easy to set up, but it works well and basically mimics how Dropbox works so users are pretty comfortable with it. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well Sharepoint Online seems to perform as a file storage backend - I've always thought of Sharepoint as really clunky and slow, but SPO, while not necessarily speedy (and still clunky as a product), works decently as the sync/sharing platform for the rest of the M365 platform.

GreenNight posted:

Our mapped drives equal about 1PB.

Haha yeah this wouldn't be a good target for SPO because performance issues aside, SPO storage is loving expensive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah we have hundreds of gigs in SPO already too. Not my money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SharePoint just doesn't seem like a great file storage platform. It's been pushed that way because Microsoft needed a Google Drive / Dropbox / whatever competitor, but the performance is worse than all those things. They could do with coming up with something better.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I thought the consumer onedrive had a different backend for a while

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

like, iirc, consumer onedrive was its own independent client and for business they had groove sync which evolved into onedrive for business which eventually evolved into onedrive nextgen sync which combined the consumer and business clients

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That sounds right. I can recall back in the Lync days at least that they were separate back ends.

Anyone else working to migrate to IPv6 now in AWS for their personal poo poo? I was always to lazy to do so, but I dont want to get charged next year. So ugh I guess Ill work with IPv6.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Not my problem thankfully, but anything's better than a VPN that goes down on a weekly basis. We're looking around 1-2TB, and hopefully some spring cleaning in the meantime.

Punchline: next week both the people who know how to restart it are going to be unavailable and hopefully I'll be able to point to that fact to get some loving training on rebooting our weird servers for the time being.

If the VPN (that runs the actual service we provide to people and is our entire reason for being) goes down my only answer is "lol that sucks, let me see if I can call my boss on PTO"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not telling you stuff like that feels like intentional gatekeeping

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Modern SharePoint Online has a lovely UI, but the functionality of it is currently Fine(tm).

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I am in trouble for using Pulumi, not Terraform.

e: i am the change that needs to happen.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

guppy posted:

Modern SharePoint Online has a lovely UI, but the functionality of it is currently Fine(tm).

yes this. Also I meant to mention yesterday guppy, you are Not Alone in still thinking the pandemic is ongoing and being shocked that everyone else has just breezily decided to ignore it, especially the possibilities of long COVID. Sure yes vaccines help immensely, but it still isn't "just the flu" and I continue to be amazed that everyone has so blithely gone about their business just accepting that they're just gonna catch COVID (probably for the 3rd or 4th or who the gently caress knows how manyth time) and it's no big deal. So the rest of the world may think you're crazy for still wearing masks and not just partying like it's 19-er, 2019, but you're not the only one and to me anyway the rest of the world are the insane ones sticking their head in the sand. I've accepted I'll probably catch COVID at some point simply because the odds are firmly stacked against me, but that doesn't mean I'm just gonna roll over and give up on trying to avoid it.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Today was neat, sat down with two nVidia engineers (in the AC, thank gently caress) and learned a bunch about the direct architecture on these new servers we're going to be repairing soon.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I learned some terrible things about EKS

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've never used eks before but I can't imagine it being worse than aks

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

much worse

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can get long covid from a pretty mild case of covid, and that can put you on your rear end for a year+. I'm mostly back to normal now, but I still have bad days every once in a while.

Spent the back half of 2020 and most of 2021 on sick leave, most of 2022 I worked full time, but I would be lying if I said I worked at pre-covid 100% capacity.

If you have a history of getting post-infection issues, e.g. you were sick for a long time after getting mono when you were young, you are more at risk, too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

Shockingly, it sort of is. GKE’s the winner here by miles.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Re: covid my partner and I got it about two weeks ago and it really sucks! Totally knocked us down for almost two weeks, of which I took a couple days here and there off. It’s absolutely still a thing, and a disruptive thing at that.

However, I’m also 27, so still going to concerts and plays and musicals mostly maskless because how else will I dazzle the crowd without the perfect lipstick to complete a look?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:jerkbag:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those who use Ansible at their jobs, can you give me some examples of how it's being used? Sometimes the marketing talk and blogger dazzle doesn't match up to the reality of how a product is used.

*I'm curious because I'm thinking about applying for an associate-level Devops job and I have a lot of what they're looking for except Ansible experience.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Iron Rose posted:

Or we could just let it die and enjoy chatting on forums like the old fucks we all increasingly are.

The Iron Rose posted:

However, I’m also 27,

:magemage:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t wear any masks anymore, I followed all the pandemic poo poo, who cares anymore. We’re all gonna die someday. COVID chat is goddamn boring, the entire planet has moved on

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I use a mask still when I want to do Bane voice, or else Id feel foolish

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

i am a moron posted:

I don’t wear any masks anymore, I followed all the pandemic poo poo, who cares anymore. We’re all gonna die someday. COVID chat is goddamn boring, the entire planet has moved on

Late stage capitalism, micro-plastics in the ocean, climate change and the impending water wars are all far more interesting topics.

EDIT:

Dandywalken posted:

I use a mask still when I want to do Bane voice, or else Id feel foolish

:hmmyes:

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 4, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

happy Friday, everyone

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

kung fu jive posted:

Late stage capitalism, micro-plastics in the ocean, climate change and the impending water wars are all far more interesting topics.

I’m guilty of inserting this kinda poo poo into the thread sometimes but it’s honestly great when it’s about IT and careers and not another insufferable doom posting thread

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

i am a moron posted:

I’m guilty of inserting this kinda poo poo into the thread sometimes but it’s honestly great when it’s about IT and careers and not another insufferable doom posting thread

You're not wrong. i think I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic in my mind but made zero effort to translate convey that in any meaningful way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's worse: covid or the cloud

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

kung fu jive posted:

You're not wrong. i think I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic in my mind but made zero effort to translate convey that in any meaningful way.

I thought I was just agreeing with you lol

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
there is no agreeing.... on the internet

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

kung fu jive posted:

there is no agreeing.... on the internet

I'd agree with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm 27 and already a decrepit corpse shambling thru life already losing track of the rizz... I now long for death