Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A thing I always want and probably exists :

Something that will play a string of notes at me and I respond by playing them back on my instrument. If correct, there’s a new string of notes ; otherwise, it repeats.

That has to exist right? You could do that in pairs pretty easily, but I don’t have a buddy to do that every day.

I basically want flashcards, but for training my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Earpeggio and likely other apps kinda do this and call it melodic dictation. You enter the notes in on the app instead of playing them though

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah the playing is the part I specifically can’t find.

Which seems eminently feasible since my phone with Earpeggio is also my back-up tuner in case my real one dies. I know it can tell what notes I play!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

webcams for christ posted:

any kind of basic spectrometer software would let you easily visualize it, as long as you have a mic picking up the metronome click/beep and whatever you're playing, whether that's an Audacity plugin, something on your DAW, or stand alone software like this

but the Starer book is really, really helpful for locking in your subdivisions and helping with rhythmic sight reading skills imo

Ok thanks to your suggestion I tried using the built-in oscilliscope in my DAW. It has a neat feature where you can have two sources with different colours. Here the clave is in blue and the bass is in orange. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for :D

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Where does one find likeminded musicians in their area without knowing anybody? I moved to Seattle a year ago and have the itch. There's a subreddit for area musicians but it seems pretty small and slow-moving.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Where does one find likeminded musicians in their area without knowing anybody? I moved to Seattle a year ago and have the itch. There's a subreddit for area musicians but it seems pretty small and slow-moving.

- go to smallish local shows. more often than not you'll meet other musicians in the audience, such as the members of the bands on the bill who are not currently onstage at that particular time. talk with them. also, take good pics of the bands playing that they will appreciate, and tag them on ig. if your own account makes it obvious that you too are a musician, usually theyll follow back and you can start talking

- there's an app called "vampr" thats supposed to be a matchmaking app for musicians. ive tried in LA with mixed, not great results. was invited to audition for a band out in the burbs but they were too far away and i had some rough poo poo going on in my life at the time and had to back out anyway. so i only just started with it, but im about to dive back into it.

- dating apps are actually a pretty good way to meet musicians, apparently? i'm newly single and just starting to explore them for the first time, but like the first person i connected with on tinder is a great musician and we've been texting back and forth about music every day since we met. and the app "bumble" has a non-dating mode thats specifically just for meeting other people to collaborate or be friends with.

- talk to musicians you know back wherever you came from and ask them who they know where you live.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
troll the craigslist wanteds. that's how i found my last two bands. sounds stupid but it can work

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
After decades of playing brass, I want to learn violin. The idea of using my left hand for anything other than emptying the spit valve is exotic and thrilling.
Any thoughts on first steps?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Is there anywhere where like, all of the common drum patterns in modern music are collated? Developing an ear for finding drum lines I like but I'm seeing patterns that would suggest there's probably like some theory on this subject out there that would probably accelerate my knowledge in the area.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Tree Bucket posted:

After decades of playing brass, I want to learn violin. The idea of using my left hand for anything other than emptying the spit valve is exotic and thrilling.

Find a teacher through your local music store so you can at least learn how to hold things properly. A few lessons up front will give you a solid footing. You can also likely get an inexpensive rental. I played brass through high school and took elective violin lessons in college. I didn't stick with it, but I did end up sticking with guitar.

It's been a while but I think there are a few standardized pedagogical methods for violin - it seems more defined than other instruments, so there's plenty of guidance to draw from.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Definitely get a teacher and stuff. Do the rational things first.

But if you want a crazy outside-the-box idea : you can buy a cheap mandolin for a hundred dollars. It's not gonna sound great, but it'll play. It has the exact same tuning and positioning of notes as a violin, but it has frets so you can see how the notes make a very nice and convenient pattern. With the frets you can see stuff like "O hey, here's the whole A scale in a giant cool pattern I can do without moving my hand", "O cool I moved it 2 frets and now it does B".

No idea if that actually helps, but it might depending on how well navigating the fretboard works for your brain.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Is there anywhere where like, all of the common drum patterns in modern music are collated? Developing an ear for finding drum lines I like but I'm seeing patterns that would suggest there's probably like some theory on this subject out there that would probably accelerate my knowledge in the area.
There's a famous book by Ray F Badness called Drum Programming: A Complete Guide to Program and Think Like a Drummer and some other book called 260 Drum Machine Patterns and any number of similar books by genre that you can find as pdf files on the internet if you look hard enough.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Where this can maybe get complex is how real drummers apply (intentionally or not) swing to drum patterns.
Whilst I'm thoroughly medicore at most music things, one thing I do think I'm maybe good at is copying/programming drum patterns, and this mostly comes from having cut my teeth on the ReDrum sequencer way back in Reason 2, which is what is a 16 step or x0x style sequencer.

The visual nature of it really helped me gain an understanding of how patterns are made, a great way to get used to it is to put a closed hi hat playing 8ths/every other beat and a snare on the 2 and the 4 (or steps 5 and 13 in x0x parlance), but all this can be done in a single bar loop in any daw with a midi roll.
The you can spend time with moving kicks about, and rapidly you will pick up a _lot_ of common kick patterns, whether it's 4/4 house/techno/edm, common hip hop patterns, the "rock robot rock/smack my bitch up" pattern, the D-beat that informed a billion punk bands, the classic Pendulum 2 step beat in hundreds of DnB tunes, the Lars Ulrich/Tommy Lee stompy beat....

Don't neglect the importance of tempo either, a lot of genres have a set bpm range (though not all by any means). On a superficial level if you ignore intricate chops, many beats work for multiple genres and it's as much about tempo and the timbre of the drums that gives that feel.

If you'd find it helpful I'm happy to post up some images of common drum programs as midi over the weekend?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That would be pretty dope!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Don't forget velocity either, this is extra important on drums as they're usually in control of the dynamics of a track. Also, velocity is the main way to change the timbre of a drum.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s also cool to program velocity into your drum track before you decide what exactly it does to the timbre.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I mainly meant acoustic drums which change timbre in a particular way as you hit them harder. With electronic drums you can do whatever you want :cool:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yes you can and it fucken rulez

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Yes you can and it fucken rulez

I think we did it, everyone. We found Animal's alt account.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

https://youtu.be/3AZz9TSjZCM

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJh9W3Gcpmo

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Anybody know where I can find that damned shakuhachi sample everybody and their dog used in the 1980-1990s? I just heard it in the Legend soundtrack, I think it's also on "Principles of Lust" by Enigma and probably Peter Gabriel used it, I dunno.

It's the one where if you hold the key down for a few seconds, it pops up an octave for a second.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It was part of the Emulator II factory library and should be present in the Arturia version.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know im a lazy poo poo but honestly, for most purposes, i'd just grab it directly from the intro to sledgehammer and stick it in any contemporary sampler

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

It was part of the Emulator II factory library and should be present in the Arturia version.

Wow, thank you. Another SA Forums success story.

Earwicker posted:

i know im a lazy poo poo but honestly, for most purposes, i'd just grab it directly from the intro to sledgehammer and stick it in any contemporary sampler

You know, that's probably what everybody else did, too.

e: just listened to Sledgehammer again. I think he messed with it too much to be easily usable as a sample. But I probably wouldn't have to look too hard to find a song that didn't.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I have a music adjacent question and thought this might be a good place to ask. I am a photographer (digital/film) and moving into video. As much as I enjoy shooting for the sake of it, it would be nice to see what I produce be actually used for something. I've been thinking collaborating on projects might be a good way to accomplish that and creating creating album art, those short ~10 second video clips you see on spotify, or even a full music video could be interesting/rewarding. I'm guessing that musicians typically find those people within their own social circles, but if not, are there any places I should check out to find those kinds of projects? I also thought if I managed to find an artist I like early enough, I could reach out and ask. Although in my experience by the time I find someone they already have the people they need. But I'll continue to keep an eye out, can't hurt to ask as those opportunities present themselves, especially if they're local to me. Anyway, appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Upcoming bands are always into making music videos because it's the best possible promotional material nowadays. If you don't mind that the band is just some guys who will realistically never amount to anything, make a nice post on the local musicians Facebook page and tell what you want.

roy harder
Jul 14, 2005

The things I've seen...
Wrong thread. sorry.

roy harder fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 18, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

BonHair posted:

Upcoming bands are always into making music videos because it's the best possible promotional material nowadays. If you don't mind that the band is just some guys who will realistically never amount to anything, make a nice post on the local musicians Facebook page and tell what you want.

Yeah, given that bands usually have to pay a decent chunk to make any sort of music video or promo material any sort of free or budget offer will be snapped up pretty drat quickly. Local bands I know shoot videos in their backyards, so that's the sort of funding you're looking at to be honest.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I guess i was wondering if “findotherartiststocollabwith.com” existed, but I hadn’t thought of Facebook as a place to search, I’ll create an account and have a look. It’s also good to know that “just ask” is a viable strategy and I wouldn’t be committing some kind of awful faux pas by reaching out cold, appreciate the feedback :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im not sure which of the many megathreads is right for this question so im putting it here

i have a longrunning touring live theatre gig performing a live soundtrack to a fictional story from a podcast. so basically one or two actors and me on stage doing background music

i have used the same basic setup for about ten years. a macbook running ableton live in which i have about 8 tracks going playing various loops that i fade in and out, controlled with an apc40, and then i play a live instrument - a keyboard or mandolin or both - on top of those tracks. if i use a keyboard it usually goes direct to the house, if i use a mandolin i usually run it through ableton for some effects, and then its just part of the laptop signal. i use an interface (scarlett 2i2) to connect the mandolin to the laptop, and the laptop to the house's di.

i would like to replace this setup. basically i would like to make it smaller, more mobile, and if possible maybe even useable for busking. i want to still be able to play keyboard or mandolin on top of backing tracks that i can fade in and out, or change the effects on them live. but i'd like to get rid of the laptop if i can. and i'd like to be able to do this in such a way where i can easily have the sound coming out of a bluetooth speaker or something, so the signal would be mandolin->(device playing loops)->bluetooth speaker, something i could easily set up in a public park and also ideally, everything fits in a backpack. even if i cant make a version of this setup that's portable enough for busking, i'd still love to get the laptop off the stage while essentially still performing in the same way

ive been kind of looking into the native instruments maschine line but not sure if thats quite appropriate? any advice would be appreciated! i also recently got a new-ish ipad (10th generation) and have barely explored the live music possibilites with it

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

you could try an rc505, maybe? you'd only have access to 5 loops at a time and you'd need a bluetooth transmitter, but it's self-contained with a bunch of built-in effects, has faders for each track so you could fade them in and out pretty easily, and depending on the model you can keep the mando and keys plugged in at the same time. it might be overkill if you're just planning on having premade loops, but bluetooth aside it sounds like it would do the job.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

i would like to replace this setup. basically i would like to make it smaller, more mobile, and if possible maybe even useable for busking. i want to still be able to play keyboard or mandolin on top of backing tracks that i can fade in and out, or change the effects on them live. but i'd like to get rid of the laptop if i can.

Have you looked at the Ableton Push 3? There’s a stand-alone version which is kinda like their version of an NI Machine, but runs all the built-in Live devices. It has an audio interface built in and some other I/O - so you’d have to come up with something for your speaker / PA, but there are options there at least.

I suggest this in part because you could probably port most of your current Live setup over to it with less fuss that most other options.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i just watched a couple push3 videos and it does look pretty great, especially the fact that you can transfer a set from a computer super fast with very little work. but its very expensive. ive also started looking at the akai force which is a bit more affordable, curious if anyone here has used one of those? in the past akai and ableton stuff played very well together, like the apc40 ive been using for years works with the daw seamlessly, but it dates from before ableton started making their own hardware, so i dont know if they started making other company's stuff more of a pain to use in consequence now that they are in direct competition

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
What instrument is this anyway, when the word "Television" fades in? I've tried googling it but came up short.

https://youtu.be/ILvvLygO97o?t=53

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Sounds like a waterphone played with a bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63yI1vGg6IY

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Lester Shy posted:

Sounds like a waterphone played with a bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63yI1vGg6IY

Okay someone in the stupid questions thread (I asked there first before being directed here because I have the dumb) correctly identified it as a bowed cymbal, so you were close! I knew it wasn't a waterphone, it was too harsh, but the bowed cymbal is 100% the sound.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is it customary to tip a piano tuner (in the US if that helps)? My instinct is to just pay the fee but this is my first time getting a piano tuned and it suddenly occurred to me there might be etiquette.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I tipped my piano tuner a bottle of rum last time he was here but he kinda kept hinting that's what he was lookin for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I heard if you tip a bottle of rum when the tuner arrives, you can get that wildly detuned ragtime sound.