Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was making a friend a drink the other day. While I was grabbing bottles, I handed him the creme de cacao from tempes fugit and had him smell it. Then I gave him mr black to try. He said they would go well with hazelnut. I remembered someone gave me frangelico a while back.

I feel like those three could work together. But it seems like something might be missing? Is there a drink using them already?

I was thinking that a shot of espresso and maybe some half and half or straight cream might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mr black by itself has a strong chocolate taste. You don't really help it by adding the cocoa too much. A quarter ounce won't hurt, but it's not really able to do much because the Mr black is so freaking strong.

Sweet vermouth is what I'd recommend more. I'm still experimenting with the right ratio, but Greg from HTD has a drink, iron nightcap, that is a good starting point. Maybe like a Manhattan riff, 1:1:1 rye/Mr black/vermouth with a touch of creme de cacao?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Add vodka and half and half it’s a white Russian++.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Okay so I found a recipe that absolutely 100% does not work with that formula.

equal parts:

Rum (havana club)
creme de banane
mr black
lemon juice

You taste the lemon juice and mr. black. And they are not friends.

This was a bad idea. I kinda knew it as I made it, but I wanted to prove Greg wrong for sure.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Didn’t he mix lemon and Mr Black in one of the drinks?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Probably. Lemon and coffee is a good combo, though I also like acidic coffees and I know some people really don't.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Didn’t he mix lemon and Mr Black in one of the drinks?

I guarantee not in equal parts.

It just doesn't work at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't think mr black fits in the formula. It's not lemon/lime, a base spirit, a fruit spirit or an herbal. If you want to be pedantic, you can say that coffee is a fruit but c'mon now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My diarrhea drink was a Mr Black-like coffee liqueur, creme de cacao, lemon, and rum and I loved it. I am a lemon fiend though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

My diarrhea drink was a Mr Black-like coffee liqueur, creme de cacao, lemon, and rum and I loved it. I am a lemon fiend though.

that's basically what I did except sub creme de banane for cacao. And it was undrinkable, both my wife and I agreed.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Equal parts brandy, medium dry madeira, pineapple amaro, and lemon worked well. Possibly needs a barspoon of simple, but i'd do it again.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ben Nevis posted:

Equal parts brandy, medium dry madeira, pineapple amaro, and lemon worked well. Possibly needs a barspoon of simple, but i'd do it again.

If you found it lacking sugar, what about moving from a verdelho Madeira (assuming that's what you meant by medium dry) to a bual?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Grand Fromage posted:

I did this except it was Kahlua for the coffee as the sweet and amaro montenegro as the herbal and it was pretty good but more importantly tasted almost exactly like a tootsie roll.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I did a Washington (literally just a dark & stormy with apple brandy instead of rum) and added a few dashes of chocolate bitters and it tasted exactly like those green apple lollipops you used to get at halloween as a kid, it was awesome

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

If you found it lacking sugar, what about moving from a verdelho Madeira (assuming that's what you meant by medium dry) to a bual?

This is probably a good plan, but would require me to buy one rather than this I grabbed from the grocery store.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This is my kind of thread! I got into cocktails during the pandemic, starting with watching How to Drink and branching out from there (and accumulating an excessive number of liquor bottles along the way). Recently I've been on a tiki kick, and have been going through Smuggler's Cove, various Beachbum Berry recipes, and Easy Tiki. Just made a delicious variation on Planter's Punch that I wanted to document. It's based on the Smuggler's Cove recipe:

1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz 2:1 demerara syrup
1/4 oz allspice dram
1/2 oz Chinola (or other passion fruit liqueur)
1 1/2 oz Hamilton pot still gold
1 1/2 oz Hamilton 86
20 drops (2 dashes) Bitterman's Tiki Bitters

Shake with crushed ice, open pour.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 2, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Sounds great, adding Chinola to my liquor run list.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I keep almost buying Passoã but stopping short. Sounds like passionfruit liqueurs are on the rise

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a raspberry lavender French 75

.75 oz fresh lemon juice
.75 oz raspberry lavender syrup from a local lavender farm
1.5 oz Aitil House Gin from Aimsir Distilling Co

shake over ice

Splash of Roederer Estate Brut in a flute, double strain the above into the flute, top with Brut, about 4 oz. Garnish with a lemon twist.

French 75s are one of my favorite non whiskey cocktails. Delicious!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 4, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Been working on this drink:

1 oj
1 pj
1 lime j
1 pineapple rum
1 banana liqueur
.5 apricot
.5 blackberry
2 peychauds
1 ango

Flash blend w/ crushed ice until the cup is cold. 5-10 seconds

Open pour.

It's really tasty but I feel it needs something else. I might try some scotch.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Made a riff on a House of Payne last night.
3 blackberries
1.5oz blackberry gin
1oz gin
.5 Cynar
.5 cascara syrup

Muddle blackberries, add ice, add other ingredients, stir, serve over a big chunk of ice and garnish with another blackberry.

It didn't quite do what I wanted it to, but it was still pretty tasty. I'd probably use more blackberry gin next time.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Been working on this drink:

1 oj
1 pj
1 lime j
1 pineapple rum
1 banana liqueur
.5 apricot
.5 blackberry
2 peychauds
1 ango

Flash blend w/ crushed ice until the cup is cold. 5-10 seconds

Open pour.

It's really tasty but I feel it needs something else. I might try some scotch.

Your instinct is right, but scotch would not be my first choice. There’s a lot going on there with no backbone to tie it all together. Try an apricot and blackberry drink, try a pineapple and banana drink, but yea, add a proper spirit to give it some bite. Unless you’re going for a lower abv cocktail.

In general, if I’m making a drink and it’s not working right, it’s usually a bad idea to add another ingredient. Removing one or replacing one is the way to go. The OJ is just going to smash all those flavors to bits and muddy up the whole profile.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I cut the banana in half and replaced that with yellow chartreuse and that helped. It was good before and is still good. But it seems closer now.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Sounds like you're enjoying it but it's missing a bit of proof and depth? Maybe add a half ounce of overproof dark rum like OFTD or Lemonhart 151. An ounce of dark rum could do the job but might tip the balance if you're enjoying how the fruit liquors come through.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From my calculations, the drink is 6 oz of stuff and around 2.5 oz is 40%. So not a strong drink but not weak at all. The point is to make a good tasting drink, not one that tastes like alcohol.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

A half ounce of OFTD won't make a 6oz tall drink taste like alcohol.

But yeah, if your fruit brandies are all 40% I guess I could see not trying that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just cut the pineapple rum down to half an o and sub in that half o of OFTD. You already have an ounce of pineapple juice in there you're not going to taste the loss of half an o of pineapple infusion and the OFTD will give you that extra kick of flavor.

OFTD is like rum cocktail ketchup, a little bit goes a long way towards completing an unfinished cocktail

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I actually used HamDem86 instead of the pineapple rum when I changed it up. Forgot to mention that.

So it is now:

1 lime, orange, pineapple juice
1 hamdem86 43%
.5 yellow chartreuse 43%
.5 banana 26%
.5 apricot 25%
.5 blackberry 20%
2 peychaud
1 ango

I've never seen a way to calculate alcohol so I just use basic math. It seems that 2 oz of 20% is equal to 1 oz of 40%. However, that 2 oz seems to be a bit stronger. Anyway, when I add up the alcohol values I get 100 across 3 oz or 2.5 shots at 40%.

43 + .5(43 + 26 + 25 +20) = 100

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Waltzing Along posted:

From my calculations, the drink is 6 oz of stuff and around 2.5 oz is 40%. So not a strong drink but not weak at all. The point is to make a good tasting drink, not one that tastes like alcohol.

Alcohol tastes good though? :confused:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I actually used HamDem86 instead of the pineapple rum when I changed it up. Forgot to mention that.

So it is now:

1 lime, orange, pineapple juice
1 hamdem86 43%
.5 yellow chartreuse 43%
.5 banana 26%
.5 apricot 25%
.5 blackberry 20%
2 peychaud
1 ango

I've never seen a way to calculate alcohol so I just use basic math. It seems that 2 oz of 20% is equal to 1 oz of 40%. However, that 2 oz seems to be a bit stronger. Anyway, when I add up the alcohol values I get 100 across 3 oz or 2.5 shots at 40%.

43 + .5(43 + 26 + 25 +20) = 100

Yea that’s the way to do it. Just missing the decimal points, they’re percentages.
You have 1oz of pure alcohol in a 6oz drink before dilution, so 1/6 is 16.7% ABV. Depending on if you’re shaking (you should) or just building, ice could contribute as much as 2oz of water dilution. Call it just an oz and it brings the ABV down to 14%. Basically as strong as a glass of wine.

If it tastes good and you like it, that’s the point. For folks newer to creating drinks, the tendency is to over do it, ingredients-wise - that’s all I’m saying. Simpler is usually better. It reads like a Jamba Juice - pineapple, lime, OJ, blackberry, apricot, banana

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 4, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I don't know why it works but OJ, Rum, Orgeat, Citrus, and Brandy is a magical combination. It's the boilerplate for the only OJ cocktails I drink now, the Fogg Cutter and the Molokai Mule.

I would try to boil it down to something like this and then start adding from there. This would be Molokai Mule with fruit brandy:

1 oz lime
2 oz OJ
1 oz banana, apricot, blackberry or other brandy
2 oz ham 86
1 oz orgeat

I don't think the botanicals and bitters are necessary here. Might still seem like a lot of ingredients but its half the fun of making tropical drinks.

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 4, 2023

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well I took the wild suggestions of the thread and got a bottle for my wife. I'll be sure to update with my terrible ability to break down tasting notes in approximately 2 and a half months.

I can't wait to be able to joke with my wife that some terrible peanut garbage she bought while wasted in Mexico is no longer our most expensive bottle of booze.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bartender whipped up his own concoction. Not sure of proportions but it was complex and delicious.

Mezcal
Lime juice
Punt et Mes
Cynar
Ancho liqueur
Garnish with shaved dark chocolate

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I love the crazy cocktails with long ingredient lists, but man it's nice how good even simple cocktails are. Made a bacardi cocktail and it sings! Just rum, lime, grenadine.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I drank a Kentucky River

2 oz. Jim Beam Bourbon
.5 oz Tempus Fugit Crème de Cacao
3 dashes Bitter Housewife Orange Bitters
Stirred with ice looooong time to dilute
Expressed orange peel

Pretty good dessert cocktail. JB White isn’t great as a showcase in a cocktail though. Needed more dilution than normal to help take the edge off. And I subbed orange bitters because I don’t have any peach bitters.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The LCBO in Ontario finally started carrying Cocchi. Holy poo poo what a step up over any other vermouth I've had so far, I can see why its so popular. Well worth the extra $15 over a bottle of Dolin.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sashimi posted:

The LCBO in Ontario finally started carrying Cocchi. Holy poo poo what a step up over any other vermouth I've had so far, I can see why its so popular. Well worth the extra $15 over a bottle of Dolin.

It is stellar, it works in everything I've made with it. Carpano can work better in dessert drinks, but for any classic sweet vermouth recipe I've not found anything beats cocchi. Makes great Manhattans with any whiskey, goes well in negronis, is good neat even, very versatile.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Based on the last word riffs:

Lime
Peach (mathilde)
Yellow Chartreuse
Laphroaig

It's....bizarre. The scotch dominates but it works.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dunno if this is a thing:

1 lime
1 pineapple juice
1 86 demham
.5 probitas
.3 ginger syrup (liber)
.7 passionfruit syrup
.5 creme de banane
.5 apricot

It sure is good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Last night I made this Ramos Gin Fizz based on a recipe from the Cocktail College podcast. I could tell it was going to be good because the guest clearly put a lot of consideration into his process and didn’t shy away from cutting through the bullshit surrounding the drink (both its mythology and its composition.)

Richie Boccato’s Ramos Gin Fizz Recipe 

Ingredients 

- ⅜ ounce fresh lemon juice 
- ⅜ ounce fresh lime juice 
- ⅞ ounce demerara syrup (2:1)
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1 ½ ounces Old Tom Gin, such as Barr Hill, Hayman’s, or Greenhook 
- 4 or 5 drops orange flower water 
- 1 ½ teaspoons pasteurized egg white powder 
- Pinch (tip of teaspoon) charcoal salt 

Directions 

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender with a heaped scoop (8-10 ounces) crushed ice. 

2. Blend on a high setting until chilled and all ingredients fully incorporated. 

3. Pour into a chilled Collins glass. 

4. Garnish with an orange “rose,” made with a mint sprig and a cherry on a bamboo skewer. 

It comes out really nice! Made in the blender, it’s airy and fluffy on top like you want from a Ramos. It doesn’t have the stiff “souffle,” but that isn’t really very good for drinking anyways. Instead it has a nice head of foam that you can sip through. Served up in a collins, it’s a truly singular textural experience, like drinking a cloud. This would be easy and fun to serve a batch of for a small party.

I deviated from the recipe in a couple of ways. The one I’m most interested in is the powdered egg white. Boccato only outlined practical service reasons for using the powdered egg that don’t hold much weight for a home bartender. I’m curious if it also impacts the drink’s texture and consistency, and for better or worse.

I also didn’t have a smoked salt to use, so I went with white maldon salt, and I used a white sugar simple as I didn’t have a rich demerara handy. These two things together changed the character of the drink to be very simple and clean, which was nice, but I’m interested how the smoke and molasses would change the impression of the drink. I’ll try it again with those sometime soon.

I also didn’t use any xanthan gum, which I usually add to blended drinks for consistency purposes, because I wanted to stay as close to spec as I could. It didn’t seem to need it, but I would not hesitate to try adding some just to see what happens.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 24, 2023