Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2. (deety’s Lady Thrillers) John Grissmer’s Blood Rage vs. 7. (Goat’s All Hail Stephen King) Brian DePalma’s Carrie

Yeah so no real shock here. I thought Blood Rage was a pretty dull and poorly made 80s slasher. It didn't surprise me to read the director quit the film before it was finished. It was so generic and silly at times that i couldn't tell if it was being serious or campy. That kind of made me come up with a theory that "80s Slasher" has become an idea that so embraces its flaws that the more generic or trite your movie is the more it will be celebrated and loved as the perfect 80s Slasher. You can only really lose by trying to do something different. And that's just what I felt here. All the standard tropes and elements complete with a totally pointless incest tease. The main guy is solid in his dual roles but there's not enough depth there especially to the traumatized brother to really do anything with it. People seem to see Louise Letcher's performance as some kind of over the top camp bit of brilliance or something but I think its just basic melodrama. It just feels camp because again... the 80s Slasher vibe is so thick this thing feels like a comedy at times. Ultimately I was bored and got nothing from it. But I hate 80s Slashers. So no surprise I hated the movie called Slasher.

Carrie on the other hand was great and historic. Spacek and Laurie are great. You could nitpick some of it I guess. I maybe would have liked to see more of Sue and the teacher. I've seen this before of course but its been a long time and between the other adaptions and the book its all kind of a blur so I was a bit surprised they took such a back seat. Of course that's in service of focusing on Spacek and Laurie and the incredibly brutal character trauma at play. And that's a good choice. Of course its DePalma so we can't discuss choices without addressing the choice to do slow panning shots of naked young women and a bathing Spacek. DePalma is a creep and that's a hell of a way to open the film. But still the good definitely ends up well overpowering that first impression. And I forgot Travolta was in this so tht was fun especially after rewatching Face/Off recently. Who would think the movie about the raging psychic power teenager would be the more grounded film?

So yeah I'm voting for King. And I'll be salty if it loses. But what else is new?

Fun Fact: I went to prom with a redhead named Carrie. Things didn't get quite that hairy but she was a wildfire. I guess I've always lived that King fanboy life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
1. (Serv’s Lewton Bus) Jacques Tourneur’s Cat People vs 9. Mario Bava’s Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs

2. (deety’s Lady Thrillers) John Grissmer’s Blood Rage vs. 7. (Goat’s All Hail Stephen King) Brian DePalma’s Carrie

I gave Dr. Goldfoot and Blood Rage a chance, but these are both easy votes for me. I'm saying I voted for the other movies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know, I liked Dr. Goldfoot. Its a bit of a mess and I'm not sure its good. But its got a weird fun manic energy and Vincent Price is great. He sounds like he had a terrible time filming it but you'd never tell watching because he really seems to enjoy playing the role. And of course he does. Price played so many madmen and villains. Its basically Dr. Phibes or the dude from House on Haunted Hill but played completely for laughs. And he just goes and breaks the 4th wall a bunch because why the hell not? So I had fun.

Still. Its Cat People. So I'll probably vote for it after rewatching tonight or tomorrow. But I enjoyed that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Blood Rage was just kinda.....stodgy? I dunno I'm looking for the right word but it had that quality that a lot of low budget slashers have where everything has a layer of falseness to it due to less than competent acting and workmanlike directing. Sometimes movies like that can kinda loop back around into being entertaining if they're goofy enough but in this case I don't think Blood Rage made it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Saturday! I forgot yesterday was Friday! Its been a long week. That means there's still some time but less than usual. About 30 hours left to watch movies and vote in this week's poll. Then summer vacay next week. And clearly I could use the recharge before the Sweet Sixteen.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST July 23rd (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
Summer Vacay! And then the Sweet Sixteen!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
The first five minutes of Dr Goldfoot was actually really fun in a "hey, look at this!" kinda way. Price was the biggest part of this. It couldn't hold my interest, though. Cat People gets the vote.

I am still going for Blood Rage, but I'm fine admitting that's it's nostalgia for the local horror theater that's in the driver's seat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Carrie falls just one vote shy of the unanimous win but otherwise this is a clean sweep. Cat People becomes the fifth film of the tourney to get the unanimous win and 4th to get 100% of the votes. That improves Tourneur to 2-1 in Bracketology and sends the Lewton Bus into the Sweet Sixteen for a matchup with rather appropriately Alfred Hitchcock. Carrie nets Brian DePalma his 5th Bracketology win putting him in the top 10 all time and sends All Hall Stephen King into the 16 for a matchup against Wyrd Woods and Macabre Magick. Which also kind of sounds appropriate? Unfortunately this is the end for Mario Bava and deety’s Lady Thrillers and it might be the end for Bava’s run in Bracketology at least as a solo director. But he does have more movies and he’s got a son so we probably haven’t seen the last of him.

And that’s all I got for you this week because its Summer Vacay. I think the recharge and given our low turnout lately maybe everyone else does too. Or maybe we’re losing momentum and a week off will kill it dead? Who knows? but I need the rest. I was gonna writeup previews for the Sweet Sixteen and stat recaps but… I didn’t. I’m tired. Sorry. I am working on stats and I’ll update the directors and movies through the second round this week. For now here’s a quick look at our Top movies, directors, and teams this year.

Like I said I’ll work on the rest this week. I had hoped to get it done this week but besides business and tiredness I kind of did everything up to this or last week and then lost track of what I did do so I just deleted what I did add and decided to start over. My brain is dumb.

But we do have a Sweet Sixteen. And its a pretty strong looking one.

Of note we only have 3 solo directors in the Sweet Sixteen this year so I guess the fears of the tourney switching to a team thing have finally cemented? It is three big names so we’ll see if any of them can make it further. And inexplicably I have 4 teams in the 16, 1 in each bracket. Which means its possible I could take up the entirety of the Final Four! But surely I have to start losing again eventually.

Ok, that’s all I got. I hope everyone enjoys their week and will be back again next week for the next round. And hopefully through this week for some stat/spreadsheet drops.

Next Week!
The Sweet Sixteen!
- 5. John Carpenter vs. 8. Universal Horror Classics
- 7. Tales From the Necronomicon vs. 11. Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
No surprise whatsoever except for the one person who voted Blood Rage over Carrie. What a dreadfully boring movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Summer vacation is over. Too drat hot anyway. Its time for the Sweet Sixteen!

5. John Carpenter’s They Live vs. 8. (Serv’s Universal Horror Classics) Karl Freund’s The Mummy

A hell of a matchup to start the Sweet Sixteen off. Carpenter vs Universal. And both drew classics off their list. They Live is arguably one of the most cult classicy films of Carpenter although that’s kind of a tough needle to thread. I don’t know what I can really say about it besides it having the most memorable fight scene in film history in it and a twist/premise that might seem hokey now but basically is like a modern meme grandfather or something. On the flip side The Mummy is considered by some to be a lesser of the Universal classics with it repeating some beats from the other films but its still the movie that launched dozens of questionable remakes and sequels. Its kind of the OG in that department. Before any of those 80s franchises were even conceived of let alone run into the ground with bad sequels and reboots and “requels” or whatever the Mummy was milking everything it can out of of them tana leaves. And that comes from somewhere including Boris Karloff getting to play a villain without the makeup and grunting. Plus Karl Freund’s already picked up a win in this tourney with Mad Love so can he make it two in a row? Its a tough as hell matchup with two films that can be fairly labeled “classics” but maybe with a little debate and wiggle room? One of these heavyweights will advance and one will go home. We’ll see.

They Live is available for streaming on the Internet Archive
The Mummy is available for streaming on the Internet Archive

7. (Basebf’s Tales From the Necronomicon) Stuart Gordon’s The Black Cat vs. 11. (Goat’s Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities) Troy Nixey’s Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark

Its our third Masters of Horror episode of this tournament, 6th in Bracketology history, and second in a row for Stuart Gordon. He advanced Tales From the Necronomicon into the Sweet Sixteen with Dreams In the Witch’s House so now he’s hoping to repeat that going from Lovecraft to Poe. And he’s brought Jeffrey Combs along for the ride so like… that’s a pretty drat good combination of guys with a solid track record, no? On the flip side its one of the older team entries from the “GdT Presents” era of this team. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark isn’t made by GdT and isn’t especially critically well regarded but its written and produced by GdT remaking one of his favorite tv movies from his youth. Big budget mainstream creature feature doesn’t tend to make for a Bracketology winner but it does create an interesting RNG draw contrast. We have one TV movie from an acclaimed movie director and actor vs a less acclaimed big feature remake of a TV movie. Its interesting at least. And Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark isn’t poorly received so it certainly seems like it has a chance on paper against the equally not critically acclaimed Masters of Horror series. But it sure does seem like Gordon, Poe, and Combs have the edge here and who can argue? But you never know until it plays out.

The Black Cat is available for streaming on Roku, Vudu, Scream Box, Plex, and TubiTV as Season 2, Episode 11 of Masters of Horror.
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is out there and available upon request.

That’s our week! The Sweet Sixteen is underway and that means we’re in the home stretch here to crowning our new Bracketology champion. What better way to beat the heat than with Carpenter, Gordon, Universal, and GdT?

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Aug 6th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
- 9. Indonesian Insanity vs. 13. Chucky and His Pals
- 6. Ladies Night vs 7. #ThrowbackThursday

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They Live!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ready for my doodles to be spooked again!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Black Cat is one of my favorite Masters of Horror episodes, I hope a few people get to see it for the first time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a hoot

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Started watching Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and realized I have seen it before. So it's not quite good enough to be very memorable. Though I do recall there are some creepy scenes later on. It's not awful, just kind of mediocre.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love when Bracketology gives me an excuse to rewatch one of the pricey UHDs I bought, it makes me feel better about my dumb life choices. Highly recommend that They Live UHD!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love when Bracketology gives me an excuse to rewatch that goofy skull Masters of Horror set I use to decorate my horror movie shelf.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The masters of horror intro is so loving baller used to get me hype so easily even if the episode ended up disappointing (black cat is one of the best tho)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is a movie about creepy crawlies in the shadows that commits the cardinal sin of fully showing the drat things a third of the way through the movie and never hiding them again.

They can't be creepy crawly shadow dwellers if they ain't in the shadows, Guillermo.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't believe DbaotD ends like that. Laughing in disbelief nobody even TRIES to save Katie Holmes?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

I can't believe DbaotD ends like that. Laughing in disbelief nobody even TRIES to save Katie Holmes?

gotta save something for the sequel!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Friday. I think. I'm all messed up. But my phone says its Friday. That means you have just over 48 hours to watch our movies and/or vote in our poll this week. These are the big ones that decide who will be in our Elite Eight and one step closer to the championship. So gotta take this seriously. Or don't. Its really not that big a deal and I can't stop you. Just have some fun.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Aug 6th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
- 9. Indonesian Insanity vs. 13. Chucky and His Pals
- 6. Ladies Night vs 7. #ThrowbackThursday

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm having some second thoughts about the They Live/Mummy matchup, just in the sense that when I watch They Live I really don't feel like I'm getting any spooky vibes whereas The Mummy is classic Universal monster stuff. Is it the best of that era? No not by a long shot, but it's still Karloff and it has the great spooky atmosphere that I always look for. They Live is more like a sci-fi action movie.

Hmmm I will let this marinate for a while....

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I'm having some second thoughts about the They Live/Mummy matchup, just in the sense that when I watch They Live I really don't feel like I'm getting any spooky vibes whereas The Mummy is classic Universal monster stuff. Is it the best of that era? No not by a long shot, but it's still Karloff and it has the great spooky atmosphere that I always look for. They Live is more like a sci-fi action movie.

Hmmm I will let this marinate for a while....

In this case, I think you're voting for future rounds as much as anything. Do you want more John Carpenter spookiness, which is (I agree) much more likely in a different movie than They Live? Or are you banking on more gloomy 1930s/1940s Universal b&w spookiness?

The choice is yours, and yours alone...

I voted for Carpenter, FWIW.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Mummy is underrated and imo is the better version of Dracula.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Mummy is underrated and imo is the better version of Dracula.

As the years and rewatches go by I find myself pushing Dracula further and further down my Universal rankings. Like, for sure I have Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and Creature From the Black Lagoon ahead of it. And that feels almost blasphemous to say but when it comes down to it I do look forward to my October rewatches of those movies much more than Dracula.

It could have something to do with my undying love(LOVE NEVER DIES) for Coppola's Dracula. Nothing else really compares.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

As the years and rewatches go by I find myself pushing Dracula further and further down my Universal rankings. Like, for sure I have Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and Creature From the Black Lagoon ahead of it. And that feels almost blasphemous to say but when it comes down to it I do look forward to my October rewatches of those movies much more than Dracula.

It could have something to do with my undying love(LOVE NEVER DIES) for Coppola's Dracula. Nothing else really compares.

i mean, Dracula was huge and groundbreaking and has some great moments (love the bee coffin), but i don't think it's even really close to any of the others you mentioned. I'd maybe put it over Creature from the Black Lagoon, but then, maybe not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its fine to have Dracula as a second tier Universal. Its definitely got some rough edges in the talkie adjustment period. There's clearly not a great sense of pacing or how exactly everyone should be delivering lines or the camera should be lingering or what. At times it very much feels like a filmed stage play. And its been said before that the spanish version is the technically superior one since the director was able to watch and try different things. Its definitely the more "modern" film shot. And those other Universals are just better films than Dracula despite the number of tremendous performances.

My take on The Mummy has always been that its just kind of a mediocre at best movie even with Karloff. I do want to give it a fresh watch to give it a chance divorced from any of the other Universal films or Mummy films or whatever. Just judging it alone. Just haven't gotten the chance yet this week. Actually weirdly sleeping so no late night movie marathons. Its strange.

I started The Black Cat but couldn't get into it. I actually am not sure I have seen it. Or if I saw it was a long time ago and I've forgotten it. But I had a hard time settling in with it so again, been meaning to come back to it but no real time yet.

I sorta intend to watch the GdT film too but I watched that one recently and have a pretty good sense of it. Mostly just a question of whether Gordon beats it or not.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Just while we're on the subject of universal monsters, Moomin Dreams gave me a Creature from the Black Lagoon LP weight today for my birthday and he looks great spinning around at 33 1/3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChKzZfdLf3k

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol awesome

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Black Cat really sort of dragged for a movie that short. Also don't quite see what the deal with it is, what's good about it? Still got me the usual reaction for any Black Cat version, nooo the kitty, yesss the kitty. Still the cat eye mutilation was quite gnarly, more than what I cared for, then the cat revenge was not good enough. I guess I liked that it was all a dream?

Don't be afraid of the dark I actually quite enjoyed but I don't think I can actually deal with how bad the ending was. At the risk of going all tactical realism/cinemasins, [spoiler]but why not at least scoop up the gremlin corpse, show it to the cops, confirm with the dude in the hospital, and then maybe try and get someone to get your girlfriend back?[spoiler]. Also there was not nearly enough pulping of those little fuckers.

Voting Cat, reluctantly

For the other, They Live is just too much of a fun movie, I think it's no shame for The Mummy to lose to that.

Also didn't realize I still had a team in the running, stoked!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I feel like Black Cat is a pretty well-made version of a mediocre adaptation. I don't really like how goofy it is, but I did like the effects and how it just goes for it most of the time. It's maybe too glib to say that Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is, in contrast, a mediocre version of what should be a good story. It didn't really work for me (as I mentioned before, it was totally forgettable). So Black Cat gets my vote.

They Live is one that makes me think it should have a bit more horror in it given who made it, but when I think about it this is kind of somewhere between Escape From New York John Carpenter and straight horror Carpenter. The Mummy has a lot of creepy atmosphere going for it, but it's also more than a little unpleasantly racist, and the plot just kind of leaps around. I enjoyed They Live a lot more.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Gotta give it to They Live, sorry Mummy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a shutout for Stuart Gordon’s Black Cat although not a unanimous victory since there were some absent votes. But a decisive victory nevertheless that sends my GdT team home with its tail between its legs not scoring a single vote. That’s also Gordon’s 7th victory in Bracketology drawing him even for 2nd overall with Takashi Miike and William Castle and just one behind Ken Russell. Its also the third victory for Masters of Horror this tournament joining Gordons Dreams from the Witch’s House and John Carpenter’s Pro-Life. And it could be a Gordon vs Carpenter matchup in the elite eight as Carpenter advances as well, albeit not as decisively as the Mummy did get a very respectable 3 votes. Still a decisive victory for They Live that ALSO gives Carpenter 7 Bracketology victories and advances him further in the tournament that he’s ever gone. There’s no guarantee that it will be Gordon vs Carpenter competing for their 8th victories next round, but boy would that be cool, huh?

Time to get to Fozzie’s Freaky Sweet Sixteen and find our next two Elite Eight members.

9. (mbd’s Indonesian Insanity) H. Tjut Djalil’s Lady Terminator vs. 13. (C3KS’s Chucky and His Pals) John Lafia’s The Rats

Its more Indonesian Insanity! Djalil’s making his 4th appearance, his 3rd of this tournament as he’s been single handedly carrying this team albeit with a tie in the first round. Still his wild energy got him a win last round and a trip into the Sweet Sixteen and now he draws another one of his well regarded and crazy as gently caress movies. Some sort of Species/Terminator mash up with tentacle rape and poo poo? God only knows. On the flip side Team Chucky once again doesn’t draw Chucky. That’s the luck of the draw, but hey at least they’re thinning the field. Last time the team drew Fright Night which pretty much guaranteed it a win but this one’s a little more iffy. A low budget, under the radar creature feature. Not necessarily a loser. This is a style clash for sure and its easy to see a fun creature flick beating out an edgy trash film. Or vice versa. Rats or genital snakes? Which is more your thing?

Lady Terminator is availble for streaming on DailyMotion
The Rats is out there and available upon request.

6. (Goat’s Ladies Night) Chloe Okuno’s Watcher vs 7. (Sam’s #ThrowbackThursday) Adam Wingard’s Godzilla vs. Kong

Its my most successful team vs one of my favorite old teams that is doing better without me than it ever did with me! Wingard is making his third Bracketology appearance but first of this tournament. Looking to pick up his second win with the most bombastic blockbuster we may have ever had in this tourney. I mean we’ve had the Matrix and others and we’ve done Godzilla. But now its Godzilla vs Kong time! On the flip side is about the opposite five as Ladies Night serves up another “Hitchcockian” Rear Window compared thriller with the lady themes. I’ve been meaning to watch this for awhile and saving it once I drew it for this tournament, but its a pretty wild double feature and a tough contrast to draw. How people are gonna react to each film and to the matchup of what horror is is gonna be interesting.

Sequel alert: Godzilla vs Kong is the sequel/mashup of the previous two Godzilla and King of Monsters movies as well as Skull Island. Its the 4th film in the “MonsterVerse” and while it very much does include continuity, carry over characters, and Kong and Godzilla as characters with story and stuff you can probably definitely just go ahead and watch the movie about a giant lizard and giant ape fighting without missing all that much. Yeah, you might miss a few details but nothing that will probably really take away from the intended experience of the film.

Watcher is available for streaming on AMC+, Shudder, Hulu, and DirectTV.
Godzilla vs Kong is available for streaming on Max.

That’s our week. A monster mash blockbuster, a low budget creature feature, a low key thriller, and pure unbridled trash cinema. its a wild week. I ope people enjoy and one and participate. And then another week once Fozzie is done and its Gonzo’s turn. Or Piggy’s. I haven’t looked. But more of what you have come to expect, which is kind of having no idea what to expect.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Aug 13th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
- 5. Wes Craven vs. 8. The Brutal Brits
- 7. Bracketology Redux vs. 11. Foreign Horror for American Teenagers

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Lady Terminator was my actual introduction to midnight movies, I'll never forget walking into my local arthouse at 2am and seeing an eel bite off a man's dick before the knockoff A-Team gets high and blows up an airport. It's the reason that every Indonesian film in this tournament gets a handicap from me. I haven't seen The Rats but it would take a perfect film to stand a chance.

Godzilla vs Kong is not a perfect film but it has a few moments that are really, really fun. It shares the biggest issue with the Sam Raimi Doctor Strange Multiverse movie, where you can palpably feel the scenes that the director was allowed to craft vs those that the studio insisted on. In both cases the passion project scenes are incredibly fun while the studio scenes range from inoffensive to actual slogs. That being said Moomin Dreams insists we have watched the other film and I can't remember a single thing about it. That kinda makes G vs K win by default.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I went back to letterboxd and found my review for Watcher, I'm remembering it now. We picked it because we love Maika Monroe, but:

"This is an entire genre of films, the one where no one will believe the lead because she's a woman, and after all, ~bitches be crazy~.

Very few of them are good, and the rest fall apart when you realize that the only reason you are siding with her that nefarious things are actually going on is because the musical stings are literally Pavlovian and you've been conditioned by Big Orchestra to not laugh at scary strings. Were this a real person you'd be waiting to round the corner before you block her number, because she is about to start talking about gang stalking."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A big part of the problem I have with horror fans these days is ideas like “we have too many movies about womens issues and perspectives” when on the flip side it will be stuff like “here’s a 100th Godzilla movie”.

The purpose of Ladies Night is to give women the showcase as creators and voices. I haven’t seen Watcher so I don’t know how it will do. And I think GvK is very stupid but that’s probably a bad sign for my team. But hey, it’s the lady who brought “Hail Raatma!” to us.

Im dreading Lady Terminator. Which I’m sure means it will win.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I write my reviews very, very fast so if it came off as though I think we have too many movies about women I'd like to pump the brakes on that.

I think that there are too many of that very specific plot though. That was why I said it has become a whole genre, despite being too narrow to deserve being a genre.

Trying to make an analogy here, it would be like someone saying dramas that kill the dog at the end to make you sad are so ubiquitous as to be a genre, and someone else thinking that means they have a problem with too many movies about dogs. No, but it would be great if we differentiated our dog stories a bit.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Watcher does a great job in providing possible non-scary justifications for things but as coincidences start to pile up, it's almost like you're being asked how much it will take for you to believe a woman. I get that there are a lot of movies using this as the frame, but Watcher does it really well imho. Godzilla vs Kong was silly fun but Watcher has my vote. Not sure if I will get to the other match-up.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Godzilla vs Kong is fine and all, but I feel like it's one of the weakest films in the whole series, story-wise, because of the nonsensical reliance on all that "Hollow Earth theory" garbage in the middle half and keeping all of the leads separated into different storylines that don't really feel like they gel together at the end. It survives on the spectacle, but the all the stuff when there isn't a giant monkey punching a fire-breathing dinosaur in the face makes it harder and harder to wait for those bits.

I remember really liking Watcher when I watched it for one of the Challenges a few years ago, but I don't remember much of it besides Maika Monroe being great in it and the very end of it. But what I do remember of it makes it an easier vote than the Godzilla movie.

I don't think I'll get a chance to watch the films for the other match this week, but I'm throwing The Rats a vote. Mostly a pity one for my own team, because I'm fully expecting that the other film is gonna be more in line with thread sensibility and end up taking the W. My consolation here is that a) the team actually got through a round or two this time, as opposed to being blown out immediately in the first round like last year, and b) if we do this again next year (and considering Goat's sanity that may be a big if) and I get a chance to field this team again, most of the random dross that cropped up via the "no cherry-picking" rule will finally have been churned through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Godzilla vs. Kong is worse than Godzilla '98 and it's not close