Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just realized my FFLGS (former FLGS) dropped the ball on my subscription. Need to go get Cyclops and Phoenix post haste.

LifeLynx posted:

"Unlimited" is a we-ran-out-of-names name for a TCG. All the good names were already taken by failed two-player competitive Star Wars games.

Ah, yes. Vastly inferior to names like Star Wars: The Collectible Card Game, Star Wars: The Trading Card Game, Star Wars: The Deck Building Game, and my favorite, Star Wars: The Card Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

Interesting. My tier ranking would be more like this:

S: Storm, Wolverine
A: Shadowcat, Gambit
B: Rogue, Cyclops
C: Phoenix
D: Colossus

Shadowcat I like but her kit has some cards I think are kinda meh and don’t really do anything for me. Which brings her down a bit in my eyes. Gambit is amazing. I love him in Justice with the new cards because he can be super impactful thwarting even in alter ego, and his ability to toss cards is amazing. Went up against Sandman and being able to toss Rhino minion from the encounter and then thwart 3? (4 if you have the guild) Yes please. He’s so fun.

Cyclops is good, but kinda boring. Rogue I don’t like that much. Her kit is okay and her ability can cause some awesome combos. I’ve seen my friends pull off standing her back up because she’s now an android, or having her touch my Champion ally so she benefits from Go for Champions, but she’s kinda fiddly and takes a bit too long to get going. It’s work to setup the combos.

Phoenix is C tier for me because while she has some insanely powerful stuff, her drawbacks are just too much. She’s a glass cannon. Heaven help you if you get her Nemesis as well because you’ve turned on hard mode. I don’t hate her, but she squarely falls into the “why put in the effort to have fun with her, when I can pick so many other heroes and have fun instantly?

Colossus I agree. Solid D. Oh cool I got all this stuff that relies on tough? Oh, what’s that. An enemy has piercing, which tons of them do? Okay well I’m screwed, lol. I don’t think the scenario designer for Sabertooth and the person who made Colossus ever spoke to each other. “Hey, I made a hero all about tough” “Oh cool, the very first villain of this expansion can easily destroy it” “…”

Knew I forgot someone, Wolverine for me is low S to high A, leaning A. It's hard not to call him S though when he probably has the best rush damage the game has ever seen.

Gambit, I found, just lacks a lot of control. In protection, he's great. In everything else...not so much. He needs the benefits of protection cards to make sure he can withstand powerful attacks and still be standing to either defend again or drop down and heal/use his ability. Playing a game with him and not hitting his armor, and not having a way to ready him is extremely painful. He's A tier in protection and everything else is D, which makes him overall D tier. I was really looking forward to him and he just really let me down with how fragile/slow he is. I know Ironheart is a bad comparison, because she's amazing, but she's a hero that still feels good while she's building up and Gambit feels like a hero that is very weak in the beginning and only becomes above average in the mid to late game. Having his defense card be tied to actually having to defend is bad, even you should be theoretically readying from it every time due to his armor. I'll admit to a bit of bias here because I really wanted him to be good and him, combined with the last cycle made me give up True Solo(and as a result solo entirely).

Rogue I think is just fun to play because there's always something new to try with her deckbuilding wise and her cards are pretty fun and interesting to play. She plays well from any aspect but for obvious reasons leadership does give her some amazing tools. I put her in A because similar to Jean, when she goes off she goes off she has some stuff that will undoubtedly break the game(arguably Go For Champions already did).

Speaking of Jean I didn't find her drawbacks to be that bad. Obviously her nemesis is one of the worst in the game to hit with Shadows, but it made surprisingly little difference to be when I ran her through the campaign. She was one of the easier ones I had running through the campaign actually.

Shadowcat being able to block every attack a villain makes in a turn of a 4 player game and not take damage is quite frankly the most broken thing they've every designed. You could make an argument that she's not good in anything but Protection. She's probably the most satisfying hero to play since Ironheart for me.

CitizenKeen posted:

Just realized my FFLGS (former FLGS) dropped the ball on my subscription. Need to go get Cyclops and Phoenix post haste.

Ah, yes. Vastly inferior to names like Star Wars: The Collectible Card Game, Star Wars: The Trading Card Game, Star Wars: The Deck Building Game, and my favorite, Star Wars: The Card Game.

Off the top of my head you also forgot Star Wars: The Customizable Card Game. There was also another TCG from the mid 00s I have laying around somewhere that was a model game(like that old Pirates of Spanish Main game).

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

Off the top of my head you also forgot Star Wars: The Customizable Card Game. There was also another TCG from the mid 00s I have laying around somewhere that was a model game(like that old Pirates of Spanish Main game).

I believe the first C on SWCCG from Decipher switched from Customizable to Collectible at some point? That was the game I was referring to; same one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CitizenKeen posted:

I believe the first C on SWCCG from Decipher switched from Customizable to Collectible at some point? That was the game I was referring to; same one.

That's not the one I was thinking of, as you mentioned everyone thinks the CCG stands for Collectible, but on googling the one I was thinking of had the Episode 1 tag.

edit: Found the "other" tcg too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

That's not the one I was thinking of, as you mentioned everyone thinks the CCG stands for Collectible, but on googling the one I was thinking of had the Episode 1 tag.

edit: Found the "other" tcg too.

I stand corrected!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Shadowcat can be amazing in aggression, she gets a free use of surprise attack every time she defends. She can deal with side schemes really well in solo justice, due to phasing. Moxie leadership could be fun as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Yo, holy cow. I never knew there was a Star Wars version of Pirates of the Spanish Main. It's wild how good those models are, considering.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Magnetic North posted:

Yo, holy cow. I never knew there was a Star Wars version of Pirates of the Spanish Main. It's wild how good those models are, considering.

they loving collapsed immediately. wizkids was on some wild poo poo back then

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Arkham Horror GenCon Discussion Today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUbBTqEHlz8

Marvel Champions GenCon Discussion Tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiNTn5qRGo

(Both by FFG.)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Speaking of Arkham Horror, how's the latest stuff? A friend and I bought in fairly heavily back at release but we've since switched largely to Marvel because, even though I think Arkham is the cooler and more interesting game, out of the 20 or so games of it we played, we never once had a game without some rule question we could not answer (almost always what the gently caress does this scenario even mean when it says to do X) and just had to wing it. Are they better about that?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

All of your questions can be solved online, possibly on discord. But unless something massive happens on Gen Con, the problem with arkham is we are eight months into the year and they haven’t mentioned the next release.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well that's only a problem if you have everything right, if somebody hasn't played all the campaigns (failboattootoot mentioned buying stuff at release but possibly not for awhile) then you'd have a wealth of potential stuff to play.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The Feast of Hemlock.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/8/4/a-feast-of-hemlock/

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I like Arkham, and I tried to get into it again but I only have so much free time and very limited time to play with friends and they’d rather play Champions.

I should maybe still try to get more. I’ll have to see what the future holds.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Almost certainly a dumb question. I bought into LOTR LCG a while back. Have the old basic set, gray havens, and over hill and under hill. As far a I can remember, I only ever played the scenarios in the base box.

With all the changes that have happened in the last few years (campaigns, repackaging, etc.) I’m kind of confused as to what, if anything, I should do to catch up. Is there a single box campaign comparable to Arkham horror that I should purchase at the onset?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Deadpool Hero pack

We all knew he was coming, but the surprises would be a new 5th aspect that introduces a new encounter that works like Shadows of the Past.

The funny thing is I was talking to a friend and my guess for how Deadpool’s hero mechanic would work was 100% right. Like, I got it exactly right that they would copy his basic card. The rest was completely out of left field.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Deadpool Hero pack

We all knew he was coming, but the surprises would be a new 5th aspect that introduces a new encounter that works like Shadows of the Past.

The funny thing is I was talking to a friend and my guess for how Deadpool’s hero mechanic would work was 100% right. Like, I got it exactly right that they would copy his basic card. The rest was completely out of left field.

Official Determination aspect!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Star Wars Unlimited is the most paint by numbers dull rear end TCG FFG has ever made. The star wars deckbuilder does more in that tiny cheap box mechanically and thematically. Actually shocked how vanilla Unlimited is.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Star Wars Unlimited is the most paint by numbers dull rear end TCG FFG has ever made. The star wars deckbuilder does more in that tiny cheap box mechanically and thematically. Actually shocked how vanilla Unlimited is.

I've been playing a lot all weekend and I find the sequencing really interesting. It's pretty simple, but that's okay by me - more games need to follow Magic and have emergent complexity. No more L5R please.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Some of the FFG games the last 5-6 years have felt like contractually obligated minimum efforts to maintain the licenses. Mostly the Star Wars games.

At least this one has art that hasn't been recycled since 2012? :laugh:

I legit miss the LCG though. I have a full collection sitting around that needs to see more play.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

well good news, they announced today that they have stuff in the pipeline to support and expand the deckbuilder!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I've been playing a lot all weekend and I find the sequencing really interesting. It's pretty simple, but that's okay by me - more games need to follow Magic and have emergent complexity. No more L5R please.

I like the aspects and alternating activations but everything else is exactly what we've done in hundreds of games at this point.

Carteret posted:

well good news, they announced today that they have stuff in the pipeline to support and expand the deckbuilder!

:yeshaha: that games not as good as Shards of Infinity (the best market row dueler) but it's close and way better than it should be.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

I like the aspects and alternating activations but everything else is exactly what we've done in hundreds of games at this point.
Yeah, SWU does not appear to be in any way novel. It's basically taking the WoW TCG's resource system (which feels great), EDH's Commanders, and the alternating actions and two-lanes we've seen in a lot of other games, and made a game out of that.

I feel like at this point, in the CCG space, it's a pick-two-of-three scenario: novel, familiar, and easy to teach. You can't do all three. I don't think FFG wants to shake up the model any (they tried with Destiny and failed), so it's got to be familiar. And I think they've struggled with complex card games (L5R and Netrunner and AGoT), so it's got to be easy to teach like Pokemon/Lorcana. If it's going to be familiar and easy to teach, it's not going to be novel.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Was Game of Thrones complex? I never thought so. It always felt the big issue was that there was so many houses that the character pool for that house was burned through rather quickly and by the end of their runs you always had 3 different versions of the same character.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The board states got complex but the game wasn't. It was a hard game to play well, but not because of rule load.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, that’s true.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I feel like AGoT isn't that complex when you're a goon nerd who subscribes to the LCG thread.

But when you teach it to somebody who has only played kitchen table Magic or Pokemon, its got a lot more core mechanics.

So you've got two different hands... You've got two different kinds of discard piles... You've got three different kinds of battles with different outcomes for each. What's the difference between crests and traits? You've got roles to claim.

One of the (many) reasons Magic is so successful is that its core loop is trivial, its complexity is emergent. I can build a deck of French vanilla creatures and sorceries and teach Magic in minutes and it would be a decent game.

By comparison? Yeah, AGoT is complicated.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
The thing is, the Star Wars Unlimited game is going to ask you to pay CCG prices for half assed design, awful borders and el cheapo art? Given its only going to hook in the diehards, that sets it up for 1-2 years of life. Who wants to be the sucker cracking boosters on that model.

I bought the Transformers CCG because I liked the game, love Transformers and I bought it EXPECTING it to die in a year, and knowing I could build 10-20 decks and have an awesome convention game forever. Does Star Wars Unlimited fit into that space?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I feel like AGoT isn't that complex when you're a goon nerd who subscribes to the LCG thread.

But when you teach it to somebody who has only played kitchen table Magic or Pokemon, its got a lot more core mechanics.

So you've got two different hands... You've got two different kinds of discard piles... You've got three different kinds of battles with different outcomes for each. What's the difference between crests and traits? You've got roles to claim.

One of the (many) reasons Magic is so successful is that its core loop is trivial, its complexity is emergent. I can build a deck of French vanilla creatures and sorceries and teach Magic in minutes and it would be a decent game.

By comparison? Yeah, AGoT is complicated.
Explaining timing rules and the stack to a non gamer is more complicated than every LCG combined. Magic doesn't have emergent complexity, it has decades of keyworded mechanics layered on to the base game.

MtG is only simple to someone that has been playing it for decades (and even then players will frequently have rule disputes).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 7, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HidaO-Win posted:

and have an awesome convention game forever. Does Star Wars Unlimited fit into that space?

Star Wars Destiny is probably perfect for that, especially if you build a draft set or themaric premades.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

HidaO-Win posted:

The thing is, the Star Wars Unlimited game is going to ask you to pay CCG prices for half assed design, awful borders and el cheapo art? Given its only going to hook in the diehards, that sets it up for 1-2 years of life. Who wants to be the sucker cracking boosters on that model.

I bought the Transformers CCG because I liked the game, love Transformers and I bought it EXPECTING it to die in a year, and knowing I could build 10-20 decks and have an awesome convention game forever. Does Star Wars Unlimited fit into that space?

The critiques I've seen of SWU are:
  • The art is ugly. I like it, but it's heavily stylized and Star Wars art had historically not been.
  • The layout sucks. I'm ambivalent but it really pops on the table. It's super easy to read. I've been playing all weekend and it's one of the more visually clear card games in my collection.
  • The design is boring. Okay. Granted. I'm fine with good amalgamations but others want novelty.
  • It's not a good game. I'm having a lot of fun. The sequencing is tight. I'll happily play limited for a year or two.
  • FFG can't steward games. Agreed 100%. My confidence in them to not drive this into the ground is not super high.

I'm not signing up to defend SWU, but I've liked what I've seen enough to know I want to see more. I like the team behind it, I've liked all the FFG LCGs. I'm in an optimistic wait and see mode.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Explaining timing rules and the stack to a non gamer is more complicated than every LCG combined. Magic doesn't have emergent complexity, it has decades of keyworded mechanics layered on to the base game.

MtG is only simple to someone that has been playing it for decades (and even then players will frequently have rule disputes).

Yeah, but all of the timing issues in Magic can be layered on. You can build fun teaching decks without engaging in that mode at all. After a person has played four or five games you can start to introduce all that complexity.

To be clear, on my earlier post I was thinking about the complexity of the teach, not complexity as a whole. I probably didn’t make that clear, so at the risk of being accused of moving the goal posts, that’s what I’m talking about.

That's the problem with half the LCG/CCGs out there: they compare their base game with the entirety of Magic and think they're not that complicated, when you don't teach a new player the entirety of Magic in the first game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You also don't teach someone GoT by putting them in a multiplayer game where they have to choose roles. I've taught that game to people that have never played any TCGs and it was fine. Don't underestimate people, especially if they're interested in the theme. Playing modern games does not require a special skill set or level of intelligence, only time and enthusiasm.

I don't get your pick two line of reasoning, as novel and familiar are diametrically opposed by their nature. SWU could have easily done something novel like a Force tug of war for a victory condition or alternate victory condition instead of the ole reliable "kill enemy". If you're concerned about games being familiar to ease the teach, why are you talking about new players coming in? Nothing is familiar to them, so why not do something interesting for veterans of the space.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
honestly, its fine if it keeps prices where they are but it always feels like FFG's packaging for Champions is dirt cheap. All of the hero packs look like clip art in cheap clamshell packs, I'm surprised Disney is cool with it

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

John Romero posted:

honestly, its fine if it keeps prices where they are but it always feels like FFG's packaging for Champions is dirt cheap. All of the hero packs look like clip art in cheap clamshell packs, I'm surprised Disney is cool with it

I don’t disagree but somehow it still looks better than any Legendary game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cable and Domino are in hand. ETA was Monday but the post office here moves fast. Look forward to trying them out and will probably proxy the neutral side schemes for Cable from the upcoming sets.

Fingers crossed that the True Solo experience is better than last time. I really hate playing 2 handed.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Solo cable feels like a boom and bust kind of thing. In justice, if you can complete techno virus purge on the first round and get the Asani’san out quick, it should be very easy to get your basic activations. Clear the area+skilled investigator means card draw handled, hopefully the plasma gun can zap everyone else out. Easy enough to clear a side scheme every turn, and that means your psionic cards are going up to six damage/7 threat easily.

Normally solo Justice is overkill, but cable leadership has a lot of expensive allies. I’m personally planning to go through the campaign with Justice cable and Leadership domino; make the call feels essential for getting the posse together. And the big reason to run cable in leadership is a one card discount on mission leader. Uncanny X force can be played on any identity; he should have it while domino keeps the posse together.

In our test game against expert Ebony Maw, we got out Captain Britain, X force recruit, uncanny X-force. Automatic 4 THW on any side scheme for the rest of the game with zero consequential damage.
Remember that Uncanny deactivates if you go to alter ego.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Trip report:

Cable(Justice): First thoughts are that since Cable really wants to hit all his side schemes hitting Build Support out of the gate to get Professor is probably the best plan. It also helps as clearing 5 off Technovirus on the first turn is more of a risk unless you hit a stronger thwart card, and you really aren't missing those stats right away, and he can wait a few turns before he needs Psionic as well. Once he's rolling, Cable is pretty strong. I'm almost thinking he's better in Protection than Justice since you kind of want to make use of his nice DEF stat and his thwart upgrade card has fantastic synergy with hard to ignore to really ensure that the main scheme is empty at all times.

Scenario 1: Right out of the gate I'm loving that you get an extra Morlock for 1 handed so that's nice to see. The scenario I thought was a little fiddly and probably not the best for new players to learn the game but I can't say that Sabertooth was any better so I guess they don't really think that way. The scenario was pretty tight though. Whack a mole with Marauders is good times and I love that they've put more enemies into the encounter decks, back in the first cycle it really felt like there wasn't enough minion density and now it feels a lot better.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Correct me if I’m wrong here.

I play Luck be a lady tonight and it’s a wild, Domino then gets to pick 2 options, right? Can I pick the same option twice? I’d assume so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Pick two will always specify if you need to pick differently.