Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Might be a jungle crow then. https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-topics/g01004/ for a couple pictures half way down.

In NA that beak would have definitely pointed to a raven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Gosh that happened quickly.

Once I started shooting the birds on my back porch I jumped from the cheapo kit lenses to the 70-300 to the 150-600 in a matter of weeks. I've been having a blast and some of my photos are starting to come out half-decent.

I have some noob questions:

- The Tamron 150-600 G2 sometimes fails to autofocus when it's at the opposite end of the focus range as my subject, and I have to grab the focus ring to help it out. Once it's in the ballpark the AF kicks back in, I've never had it stop focusing entirely. Is this normal behavior for a big zoom lens, especially with an older consumer body (D5200)?

- How do you manage the files that come off the memory card? Do you discard bad shots right away on import? I'm just dumping everything onto my PC currently because I don't have an actual workflow yet but that doesn't seem sustainable.

- Do you have any wildlife-specific post processing tutorials to recommend? I'm planning to start with Lightroom but I'm open to suggestions there as well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The autofocus is probably down to the body. That’s a pretty modern lens that shouldn’t have that issue, however I’m not intimately familiar with it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had focus issues like that on my pre-G2 150-600 lens but that is known to have subpar electronics. If it was sort of close to being in focus on a subject it'd latch on fine. But if it was a big swing it'd sweep back and forth twice before giving up. It very well could have been the body as I was using a midrange canon DSLR.

I'm less knowledgeable about the G2 but maybe it has the same issues.

My 70-200 G2 was insanely good at focus though. :iiam:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

I had focus issues like that on my pre-G2 150-600 lens but that is known to have subpar electronics. If it was sort of close to being in focus on a subject it'd latch on fine. But if it was a big swing it'd sweep back and forth twice before giving up. It very well could have been the body as I was using a midrange canon DSLR.

I'm less knowledgeable about the G2 but maybe it has the same issues.

My 70-200 G2 was insanely good at focus though. :iiam:

I had the same issue with a d750, g1 lens. These are budget lenses and they still punch way above their weight, but they won't focus like a big prime telephoto with the Good poo poo internals.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Gosh that happened quickly.

Once I started shooting the birds on my back porch I jumped from the cheapo kit lenses to the 70-300 to the 150-600 in a matter of weeks. I've been having a blast and some of my photos are starting to come out half-decent.

congrats!

quote:

I have some noob questions:

- The Tamron 150-600 G2 sometimes fails to autofocus when it's at the opposite end of the focus range as my subject, and I have to grab the focus ring to help it out. Once it's in the ballpark the AF kicks back in, I've never had it stop focusing entirely. Is this normal behavior for a big zoom lens, especially with an older consumer body (D5200)?

At some level I think this is unavoidable in some cases? I get it occasionally with the G2 on an R6. I seem to recall somewhere there is something you can tweak to change how long the lens will hunt when it's woefully out of focus but I can't remember if that's an advanced AF setting in the camera or somewhere else. Don't forget you have a focus limiter too, so if you're camped at your feeder turn it to close birds and if you're out in open country you can set to the far range.

quote:

- How do you manage the files that come off the memory card? Do you discard bad shots right away on import? I'm just dumping everything onto my PC currently because I don't have an actual workflow yet but that doesn't seem sustainable.

I transfer to the appropriate folder on my HD then import into Lightroom from that folder. I have a structure like:

Raw files/My local park/Month

I try to do at least a first pass to get rid of the terrible or clearly inferior ones from a sequence. I'll try to run through the new import and flag the bad ones ('x' on my system), then delete them all, making sure I delete from disk and not just from the catalog ('command-delete' for me).

Getting rid of the oof ones, really bad composition or irrelevant based on something else I got in the sequence (like bird covered with branches then I moved a step to the left and the branch and got a better pic, overhead hawk that's already heading away when I have better photo showing its face, etc) isn't too hard but only gets me down around 1/2 to 1/3 of what I shot. What I'm terrible about is making choices among otherwise technically ok photos. Do I need a marginally OK photo of this towhee looking left, up down, straight ahead, looking left but head slightly cocked, etc etc etc. no I don't, but it's exhausting for me to try to choose which one to keep...

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Fruit beaks!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

drat, after dicking around with .JPEGs off the camera for three weeks, editing RAWs in Lightroom feels like cheating.

First Batch I by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch III by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch II by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch IV by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch V by Zach S, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

^^^ Holy crap that's awesome!

DSC_1748 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_1774 by Brian G, on Flickr

This is Rodney the (Cooper's?) hawk and it gets no respect, no respect at alls I tells ya: Shortly after these pictures it got chased off by a very, very angry hummingbird only to land in another tree where it was assailed by a group of pissed off Stellar's Jays. I could hear it's irritated screeching for hours after no doubt still being chased from tree to tree.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 6, 2023

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cheers! Here's another Finch.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
I think this is a juvenile Red Shouldered Hawk. The tail looks wrong for a Coopers and he's a bit chunkier like a Buteo rather than an Accipiter. This is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk for comparison:

Fabulousity posted:

DSC_1748 by Brian G, on Flickr
DSC_1774 by Brian G, on Flickr

This is Rodney the (Cooper's?) hawk and it gets no respect, no respect at alls I tells ya: Shortly after these pictures it got chased off by a very, very angry hummingbird only to land in another tree where it was assailed by a group of pissed off Stellar's Jays. I could hear it's irritated screeching for hours after no doubt still being chased from tree to tree.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Common Yellowthroat by Zach S, on Flickr

Barn Swallow by Zach S, on Flickr

Yellow Warbler by Zach S, on Flickr

this is surprisingly addictive

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Puffin by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Black-tailed godwit by Aves Lux, on Flickr

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sharing is caring. :3:

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I also shot some sparrows:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Wow. This doubles as an abstract. Incredible.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

All I have is urban birds, on my windowsill.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Zoo birds, but still:

Ostrich by Elanna, on Flickr

We lucked out, this ostrich was eating right up next to the edge of the enclosure and popped its head up to check us out.

Rhinoceros Hornbill by Elanna, on Flickr

This hornbill was very involved with taking a bath in the mister.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jadeilyn posted:

Rhinoceros Hornbill by Elanna, on Flickr

This hornbill was very involved with taking a bath in the mister.

Very jealous of this birb's mister with the weather we've been having.

The little duckies are out though, so that's adorable.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Common tern juvenile demanding food

Common tern by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

a lot of people hate these birds, but i like them. and how ugly they are

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

toggle posted:

a lot of people hate these birds, but i like them. and how ugly they are

Definitely hideous but the colors and detail are very cool!

I just moved a few days ago and these three Sandhill Cranes were hanging out my new backyard. Can't believe how close I was able to creep up to them but the action out here definitely makes me want to get a lens with some zoom. Turns out my county has prepared a super detailed bird guide with all the best spots and seasons / times / conditions, so I might get into snapping some birds more often!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 25, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Long-eared owl by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Some taken at a lake earlier this summer in southern Alberta:

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
And some others - there were some trumpeter swans there and the swallows would play while the sun broke with the shed feathers they left near the shore

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Birudojin posted:

And some others - there were some trumpeter swans there and the swallows would play while the sun broke with the shed feathers they left near the shore

These are amazing. Nice work

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

A green heron and some great blue herons

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 1, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A hummingbird and a finch.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Late season for the birds, I'm putting out 6 cups of feeder a day right now.

Almost Flash Photography by B. B., on Flickr

Identifying Photo by B. B., on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Man I wish hummingbirds were a thing we had here

And Birudojin I love those Loon shots and the osprey is great to see on a natural perch.

Musket by Aves Lux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

Man I wish hummingbirds were a thing we had here

And Birudojin I love those Loon shots and the osprey is great to see on a natural perch.

Musket by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Nice! I'm pretty limited to pygmy owls I can successfully shoot here.

As yard birds go, hummingbirds are my favorites, personality wise, too.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got my zoom!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Birb is staring into my soul