Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I pirated the stream and didn't have a single issue, it never even buffered once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Mayer just posted that Dead and Company are still a band, they just don’t know when they’ll play next. So who knows, maybe in 6 months they’ll be bored or want more money and announce another tour and people that spent a shitload of money to see the final show on Sunday can get outraged.

https://twitter.com/JohnMayer/status/1681395162138951680?s=20

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Mayer, Chimenti, and Oteil would be foolish not to try something and I say they've earned it.

To me, the exact finality of the tour was pretty clear.

(In other news, Wolf Bros. just announced tour dates.)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

trem_two posted:

Mayer just posted that Dead and Company are still a band, they just don’t know when they’ll play next. So who knows, maybe in 6 months they’ll be bored or want more money and announce another tour and people that spent a shitload of money to see the final show on Sunday can get outraged.

https://twitter.com/JohnMayer/status/1681395162138951680?s=20

There's some chatter that the thing no one saw coming that Mayer alludes to here is that they had a blast playing and while it was inteded to be the final tour, they had too good a time to stop completely. Dare I say it but maybe Billy was the deciding factor there. Maybe they were just riding a wave because they knew it was the last tour. But it's a weird place to be in where you've announced the end of the band but also that the band is going to carry on.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
It definitely sucks for the people who paid final tour markup on tickets this summer. I went to all three nights of FTW at soldier field, I learned my lesson

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I don't care if it makes me a rube, that drone poo poo is the coolest thing I've ever seen in a concert context, even in youtube quality

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I don't care if it makes me a rube, that drone poo poo is the coolest thing I've ever seen in a concert context, even in youtube quality

I did legitimately enjoy it in person, and I was even sober that night

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Lol it took Nugs almost a week to come up with the most banal apology statement

https://twitter.com/nugsnet/status/1682392129639706624?s=20

And all those social media accounts they blocked was just a total accident

https://twitter.com/nugsnet/status/1682396848605249536?s=20

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
this summer has really turned me into a summer 84/85 tours head

I've been Brother Esau-pilled

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

trem_two posted:

Yikes

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Saw Phil last night, it started loving POURING during set break and the lightning was kicked up steadily when set 2 started. They cut the show short, got a good 45 minute set 2, will never forget hearing Eyes and Terrapin in the middle of a lightning storm. Man, I hope he just loving usurps TAB's horn section, they sounded so good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

Hell yeah brother

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

trem_two posted:

hell yeah to both. my favorite Esau versions are the 83 roller skates / real estate lyrics... also worth your time for the true Esaubros is the version on the In The Dark cassette which has some nice Apocalypse Now soundtrack leftovers on the intro, which iirc is only on that release

for the late pre-coma period, 6/28/85 is a personal fave, and the fall 84 Berkeley Community Theater run is nutso. Jerry Band starts getting really good around that time too

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

JamesKPolk posted:

...late pre-coma period...Jerry Band starts getting really good around that time too

:thunk:

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

I'm still thinkin bout that Dew

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I absolutely love the taper drama at the start of today’s 82 Red Rocks show, I lol every time

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao fuckin Wise

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed this

https://twitter.com/sadiesargar/status/1684609264671940608?s=20

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I haven't finished the article and I can tell there's a lot of love and knowledge there, but I'm throwing a flag on that first paragraph. The not-quite implication that Jerry didn't have vocal talent or stage presence doesn't stand up to the evidence.

Jerry's singing can be an acquired taste, sure - just like the music. But we weren't ALL Stockholm Syndromed into liking his voice just because he was so drat good at guitar.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dicere posted:

I haven't finished the article and I can tell there's a lot of love and knowledge there, but I'm throwing a flag on that first paragraph. The not-quite implication that Jerry didn't have vocal talent or stage presence doesn't stand up to the evidence.

Jerry's singing can be an acquired taste, sure - just like the music. But we weren't ALL Stockholm Syndromed into liking his voice just because he was so drat good at guitar.

Dead and co was really bad, so is that article

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dicere posted:

I saw a Donna stan in a comments section once insisting that she was the best vocalist in the band simply because "she's a professional singer!" Subjective take, you like who you like as a singer and that's cool, but every now and then I think about it and think "you know Jerry and Bob and Phil sang, right?" and I don't think they had day jobs or anything, so they were all professional singers. None of them were/are technically amazing singers, but they're all pretty adored by legions of fans and rightfully so. Hell, Billy Corgan and Bob Dylan are professional singers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I saw a Donna stan in a comments section once insisting that she was the best vocalist in the band simply because "she's a professional singer!" Subjective take, you like who you like as a singer and that's cool, but every now and then I think about it and think "you know Jerry and Bob and Phil sang, right?" and I don't think they had day jobs or anything, so they were all professional singers. None of them were/are technically amazing singers, but they're all pretty adored by legions of fans and rightfully so. Hell, Billy Corgan and Bob Dylan are professional singers.

Wasn’t Phil’s deal that he had perfect pitch until he hosed up his voice along the way?

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I'm a Donna appreciator. Her contributions to the music, on balance, really work for me. Sometimes there was a styles clash. So it goes.

But Jerry had a great voice for blues and bluegrass and soul. JGB is great because Jerry didn't have to sing these complicated nursery rhyme Americana prayer sutras. And he seemed a lot more relaxed and just ... louder.

Dude wasn't Mick Jagger or Rick James, but nobody else was The Grateful Dead. I'm a Mayer appreciator too, but if most fans had to pick their favorite Stella Blue, there's no question.

Phil sang a little at his 83rd birthday bash. I don't think he was pitch perfect. But I never went to any fancy music schools so ...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dicere posted:

Phil sang a little at his 83rd birthday bash. I don't think he was pitch perfect. But I never went to any fancy music schools so ...

Yeah, if it’s true, he hasn’t had perfect pitch since the 60s. I love when he sings but he’s not a great singer. Jerry had one of the best voices in rock n roll, though. George Thorogood has a better voice than John Mayer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think some of my favorite jerry singing is on the pizza tapes. It's not his best at all but the way he just kind of gently croons and wanders fits the vibe of the record so perfectly.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I enjoyed it too, criticisms notwithstanding.

Unlike at a sporting event, there is no sense of aggression because there is no opponent. Unlike at a mass church gathering, there is no sense of propriety or even reverence; the enthusiasm is ungated.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think some of my favorite jerry singing is on the pizza tapes. It's not his best at all but the way he just kind of gently croons and wanders fits the vibe of the record so perfectly.

I absolutely love that Shady Grove on that record.

Tony Rice is just amazing and the interplay is fun, as it's the first time he and and Jerry had met

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Dead and co was really bad, so is that article

quote:

Dead and Company long ago developed a reputation in the wider Deadhead community for their slackened tempo—Dead and Slow, they’re called—but all tour, they play the song at a blistering pace that they’ve never even tried before. Mayer reels off lines in the breaks, getting notes out like he’s bailing out a boat. By the time they get to San Francisco in mid-July, “Cumberland Blues” has transformed from a lovely bit of electric bluegrass into a country dervish, a spinning, hyper-rotating hurricane of a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZqLV6j94o

Bruh what

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coming up on 30 years of Fall '73 in October, which I think is if not the best tour the second best tour in history.

Begins with October 19, released as Dick's Picks 19 and most shows I think are either released or have soundboards.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

All I can say is this: I never hosed with Dead and Co. before this year. Didn't listen to Fare The Well, didn't care for what little I heard.

I bought a ticket with low expectations. I wanted to see some of the guys who made this art and give my respects. I never saw The Grateful Dead. I saw an Other Ones show 20 years ago and that's about it. Wanted to see Robert Hunter but he canceled. Wanted to see Phil and Friends at Bonnaroo but it was one of the last acts and nobody I came with gave a poo poo. I'd REALLY like to see Billy and Daniel Donato but who knows if I'll get the chance.

A few years ago, I met a girl who I turned onto the music. It was something we could share. Slow dancing in the kitchen to Sugaree - stuff I dreamed about when I was younger. I got her a ticket too. Told her it might not be great.

What I got was a pretty drat good show. I don't know if I would have liked Dead and Co. in 2017 or even 2022. I've seen some pretty not stellar clips. But we got the experience of a huge stadium performance of Grateful Dead music and it was mostly good if not great. I'm a satisfied customer.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Deadco to me was less about the music and more about getting the scene back together for a few more years. Ain't nothing quite like the Dead rolling into town and everything it brings with it

E: I'm almost 6 years sober. 2019 tour, I'm they're with my wife, first Dead show sober, a bit nervous still. About twenty minutes before the first set, I get a text from my sponsor, it's a picture of the stage from about two sections to the right of me. "You will never believe where I am right now" That doesn't happen with just any band imo

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 8, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Arms_Akimbo posted:

, I get a text from my sponsor, it's a picture of the stage from about two sections to the right of me. "You will never believe where I am right now" That doesn't happen with just any band imo

I don't know what sobriety programs or sobriety culture is like but this sounds really validating and good and meaningful and I'm happy you had that experience.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I'm really liking these session tapes from Wake of the Flood they just dropped.

https://youtu.be/oYVbqDLWDpE

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/-cV1uvXSjAo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has anyone ever dubbed a Grateful Dead song/show/album? I'm aware there are some dub/reggae inspired Dead cover bands but I'm talking someone who actually took the Dead's music and dubbed it

Looking for Dead/Phish first and foremost but feel free to recommend any tasty jam band stuff that has been dubbed

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's Grateful Dub

E: sorry, I see you mentioned something like this

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 7, 2023

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Dub Side of the Moon is great

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dub Side of the Moon is really good.

There's an MF DOOM x Dead mashup on bandcamp and youtube called DOOM'S Not Dead that is pretty good. Not dub though.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Gov't Mule's Dub Side of the Mule live album with Toots Hibbert is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Kvlt! posted:

Has anyone ever dubbed a Grateful Dead song/show/album? I'm aware there are some dub/reggae inspired Dead cover bands but I'm talking someone who actually took the Dead's music and dubbed it

Looking for Dead/Phish first and foremost but feel free to recommend any tasty jam band stuff that has been dubbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQaSwR5UOFQ

E: he's got a few on his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0DXW-ZFX4o

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 7, 2023