Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Doom 2016 claimed to have cut the music into chunks that could be randomized based on player actions in-game, which is what I'm assuming OP was discussing as being AI-adjacent enough for language to be important.

This is untelated to the Doom Eternal issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Toshimo posted:

Doom 2016 claimed to have cut the music into chunks that could be randomized based on player actions in-game, which is what I'm assuming OP was discussing as being AI-adjacent enough for language to be important.

This is untelated to the Doom Eternal issues.

That's something LucasArts games were doing in the early-to-mid 90s already when they developed iMUSE. Calling that "AI" is just stapling on a modern buzzword.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I’m going to start selling AI light switches that know to turn on the light when flipped.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Arivia posted:

The Doom 2016 music had nothing to do with AI?

One of the tools in Doom 2016's soundtrack was Morph for sound processes:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/nz54xk/how-the-doom-soundtrack-was-made-will-melt-your-puny-mortal-mind

http://www.zynaptiq.com/morph/

bit of a black box, but it may contain neural net components.

disposablewords posted:

That's something LucasArts games were doing in the early-to-mid 90s already when they developed iMUSE. Calling that "AI" is just stapling on a modern buzzword.

Creatures used that too. I wasn't thinking of playback. Effectively, it makes tools like morph or that lining thing in Spiderverse kosher, but keeps out legal corium like the poo poo driving the current bubble.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lots of games have dynamic music that fades between different loops depending on what's going on. I've heard it said that it's hard for composers and programmers to pull off properly but when it works it really works. If anyone things that qualifies as "AI-generated content" somehow then they need to think a little harder before they slap buzzwords on things.

edit:

StratGoatCom posted:

One of the tools in Doom 2016's soundtrack was Morph for sound processes:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/nz54xk/how-the-doom-soundtrack-was-made-will-melt-your-puny-mortal-mind

http://www.zynaptiq.com/morph/

bit of a black box, but it may contain neural net components.

Creatures used that too. I wasn't thinking of playback. Effectively, it makes tools like morph or that lining thing in Spiderverse kosher, but keeps out legal corium like the poo poo driving the current bubble.

That doesn't seem much different than any number of weird filters that musicians use and it only "may" use neural networks in some unspecified way, but even if it does it's still just a filter effect and not an IP theft genie.

Like whoa people using electric guitar effects pedals are using AI to make music!!!

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 2, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

BattleMaster posted:

Lots of games have dynamic music that fades between different loops depending on what's going on. I've heard it said that it's hard for composers and programmers to pull off properly but when it works it really works. If anyone things that qualifies as "AI-generated content" somehow then they need to think a little harder before they slap buzzwords on things.

That doesn't seem much different than any number of weird filters that musicians use and it only "may" use neural networks in some unspecified way, but even if it does it's still just a filter effect.

Like whoa people using electric guitar effects pedals are using AI to make music!!!

Yeah, as I said, I think this policy is worded in that way to so that possible cases like that can be used, while keeping out spammy liabilities like Stability output.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something at Patreon broke and now a bunch of charges are being flagged as fraud, which might also be resulting in people being forcefully unsubscribed from creators. https://twitter.com/JasonKPargin/status/1686783605551382530

If you're backing someone on Patreon or running one yourself, you might want to take a look just to be sure. So far the ETA on things being unfucked is a big ol' shrug.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
apparently they moved their payments from san francisco to dublin and shockingly a bunch of banks and cards started declining the transactions

patreon just refuse to sit there taking a nice big cut for doing very little when there's something they could gently caress up instead

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

No official confirmation but in a thread on Reddit someone has taken a look at the D&D Bigby's book and apparently it uses a fair amount of AI art.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/15i0lam/ai_art_in_the_new_bigbys_giants_book

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
really putting their best foot forward

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lamuella posted:

No official confirmation but in a thread on Reddit someone has taken a look at the D&D Bigby's book and apparently it uses a fair amount of AI art.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/15i0lam/ai_art_in_the_new_bigbys_giants_book

ok so this is the art in question:

Hrm, sucks pretty bad, certainly bad enough to warrant a look. Let's see who the artist is, it's credited to someone named Ilya Shipkin. Alright let's see just Google them and check their portfolio, maybe they just have a really weird style or something.

This was the first result on Google:

https://aiartweekly.com/interviews/ilya-shkipin

quote:

[AI Art Weekly] Hey Ilya, what’s your background and how did you get into AI art?

As a child, I knew I wanted to be an artist. My grandfather and father were both artists, so the desire to create came naturally to me. I have always been fascinated by art history, and some of my influences include painters who create gritty, weird, and disturbing imagery such as Frank Auerbach, Richard Diebenkorn, Francis Bacon.
About a year and a half ago, I was introduced to neural networks by Nikita Panin and slowly began to embrace this new medium as it continued to develop. This is when my career took a different path: neural net art seemed like the most natural fit for me. I didn’t care about mediums or “purity” anymore; the most important thing was achieving my own aesthetic and voice.

lmao gently caress.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Hrm, sucks pretty bad, certainly bad enough to warrant a look. Let's see who the artist is, it's credited to someone named Ilya Shipkin. Alright let's see just Google them and check their portfolio, maybe they just have a really weird style or something.

lmao gently caress.

Awesome, we can reuse the 'I :h: MY hosed-UP LOOKING WOLF' gang tag that the Warhammer crew cooked up a few years ago!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Awesome, we can reuse the 'I :h: MY hosed-UP LOOKING WOLF' gang tag that the Warhammer crew cooked up a few years ago!

I like how the wolf's back paws are hosed up little hands lol. Truly astonishing that this got passed through, and there's multiple images credited to this weirdo in the book!!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
WOTC really just can't stop stepping in poop.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
What fuckin garbage. Yeah, gently caress WotC. The race to the bottom is in full swing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

lmao gently caress.

Jeez, that quote he gave doesnt at all suggest that he wasn't actually talented at art and leapt on AI art to make up for it....nope, not a all the vibe that gives off at all :thunk:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Halloween Jack posted:

Rob Liefeld's Dungeons And Dragons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

lmao gently caress.

They're also big into NFTs, which is a given. All their poo poo sucks so much rear end.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

lmao gently caress.

17 minutes from the first post here to this explanation.

Original Reddit thread took around 7 hours to arrive at the name Ilya Shipkin (though the first post misspells the last name).

Glad I'm here.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What actually makes me mad about that image is how perfectly viable it would have been to fix those glaring errors with inpainting and any kind of critical eye for your own work. There’s even Krita plugins for Stable Diffusion, you have no excuse, Ilya.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

"your own work" lmao

Or you could just be a real artist

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

They're also big into NFTs, which is a given. All their poo poo sucks so much rear end.

Hey now they've also got a band, maybe their true talent lies in music? Let's see the band is The Laytcomers and they have 3 albums on spotify which is coincidentally enough the same number of listeners they have there. And all their YouTube videos struggle to crack that vaunted 4 digit views ceiling. Probably because they all sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT8tFk4kkys

Oof. Ouch.. To be clear I LOVE post-punk in it's many variations, I'm an old queer and I was there when the genre was born, I listen to poo poo like this literally every day.

This whole thing just smacks of someone born into money who was just aggressively mediocre at literally every creative endeavor they attempted. And rather than actually picking a craft and working hard to improve it they then furthered their mediocrity by leaning heavily on the AI crutch, earning them these dogshit commissions from a big name like Hasbro because, I assume, they payed to get their name in an AI Art "magazine" and charged absolutely rock bottom for their commissions. I can't imagine an editor (assuming there actually was one) looked at these dogshit pieces and was like "oh man we gotta pay this person whatever they want!!"

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Hey now they've also got a band, maybe their true talent lies in music? Let's see the band is The Laytcomers and they have 3 albums on spotify which is coincidentally enough the same number of listeners they have there. And all their YouTube videos struggle to crack that vaunted 4 digit views ceiling. Probably because they all sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT8tFk4kkys

This was significantly worse than I expected

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Too bad WotC doesn't have access to artists.

Has AI gotten onto any MtG cards yet?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
And on Monday, whether truthfully or not, we are going to get the statement.

"We contracted this artist to make some art for this book, we were not aware it was AI generated, in future reprintings blah blah blah etc etc"

Doing some more digging, it looks like this person has art credits going back before AI art was a thing.

They obviously are responsible for anything that gets printed in their books, but gun to my head I would guess is this is more of a case of just comically poo poo oversight. Than WotC either test trialing or pivoting to AI art in their books.

As dear god why would you pay someone external to make that poo poo, vs having some intern whip that poo poo up on some random slow day.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Dexo posted:

And on Monday, whether truthfully or not, we are going to get the statement.

"We contracted this artist to make some art for this book, we were not aware it was AI generated, in future reprintings blah blah blah etc etc"

Doing some more digging, it looks like this person has art credits going back before AI art was a thing.

They obviously are responsible for anything that gets printed in their books, but gun to my head I would guess is this is more of a case of just comically poo poo oversight. Than WotC either test trialing or pivoting to AI art in their books.

As dear god why would you pay someone external to make that poo poo, vs having some intern whip that poo poo up on some random slow day.

Ilya was, at one point in history, very much a real painter and apparently has an art degree and everything. This is an older pre-AI piece that's pretty representative of his work:

But that's exactly what strikes me as odd about this whole thing. Hasbro has a literal army of real deal artists already on the payroll at MtG, like whole rolodexes of people you could get an illustration from at the drop of a hat. Hell half of them probably have old pieces lying around that would match requirements that they'd let go for cheap just to get so they got something out of it. So why did they choose this rando failson-vibes-soaked nobody? And not just for one piece but MULTIPLE pieces in the book? He has no fantasy background, he's never done any RPG work near as I can tell, and all his current portfolio is a giant jumbled mess of samey wannabe-surrealist AI garbage.

So why him? Well he's an actual trained artist, he's very familiar with AI generation, and, well, he's a nobody. There's just no way for this guy to even be on your radar as a publisher unless you're specifically looking for an AI artist. If somebody sees the name in the credits their first thought is just gonna be that he's just some artist who sucks. You gotta do some digging to spot his AI obsession, which is vastly more than 99% of people are gonna do. As someone said it took internet detective hive reddit 7 hours to even see his name after it was added to D&DB. If that first image hadn't been so chock full of AI wonkiness this whole thing would have 100% skated under the radar and nobody would have thought anything other than "drat the art sucks nowadays."

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
This is one of his works from before AI poo poo. It's fine I guess

He did a few things in the monster manual too:

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 5, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Ilya was, at one point in history, very much a real painter and apparently has an art degree and everything. This is an older pre-AI piece that's pretty representative of his work:

But that's exactly what strikes me as odd about this whole thing. Hasbro has a literal army of real deal artists already on the payroll at MtG, like whole rolodexes of people you could get an illustration from at the drop of a hat. Hell half of them probably have old pieces lying around that would match requirements that they'd let go for cheap just to get so they got something out of it. So why did they choose this rando failson-vibes-soaked nobody? And not just for one piece but MULTIPLE pieces in the book? He has no fantasy background, he's never done any RPG work near as I can tell, and all his current portfolio is a giant jumbled mess of samey wannabe-surrealist AI garbage.

So why him? Well he's an actual trained artist, he's very familiar with AI generation, and, well, he's a nobody. There's just no way for this guy to even be on your radar as a publisher unless you're specifically looking for an AI artist. If somebody sees the name in the credits their first thought is just gonna be that he's just some artist who sucks. You gotta do some digging to spot his AI obsession, which is vastly more than 99% of people are gonna do. As someone said it took internet detective hive reddit 7 hours to even see his name after it was added to D&DB. If that first image hadn't been so chock full of AI wonkiness this whole thing would have 100% skated under the radar and nobody would have thought anything other than "drat the art sucks nowadays."

This person did do some work in some WotC book in like 2019 or 2020

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I doubt WoTC specifically hunted for AI art and probably just cheaped out on the commission and/or the oversight. No need to complicate things.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It doesn't really matter, it took half a second to see it was AI art. They have proofreaders, editors, art directors, &c. Whether it's incompetence or malice, they're still culpable.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

whydirt posted:

I doubt WoTC specifically hunted for AI art and probably just cheaped out on the commission and/or the oversight. No need to complicate things.

Yeah, it's this. He's a known quantity to them, they hired him for more work on that basis, and didn't do enough QA on what he submitted to spot the weirdness. Turns out traditional artists with actual resumes and pieces published in the Monster Manual also use these tools, and sometimes their output is worse than what amateurs achieve because they're not willing to put in the time to fix the weirdness. When they do put in the time, we don't get these conversations, because nobody notices.

I'm almost positive I recognize the checkpoint he used, or at least the one he used as the foundation for a custom merge. It works pretty well for the WotC house style, but I wouldn't trust it to do something that is both non-human and has anatomy as familiar to people as a wolf without going over the results with a fine-toothed comb. This was just lazy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm curious what the art review standards are for WotC at this point.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dexo posted:

I'm curious what the art review standards? are for WotC? at this point.

Fixed

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Halloween Jack posted:

I have no idea what identifies this is AI art

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Zoom in on part of it. The laws of the wolves. The left foot of the central figure especially stood out to me. The waist just kinda being a mess of lines where you can tell if something is cloth or leather or what have you.

The horn on the left shoulder is just floating up there. Under it is a general mess of shapes and colors?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Random parts making no sense with the perspective of the rest of the image is the big tell.

The giants left foot got ran over by a train

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There are telltales when you've looked at enough Stable Diffusion output, which is what this is. I'm inclined to an effortpost on this a bit later since I'm quick-posting in between Beyond All Reason matches right now, but the thing that is the real dead-giveaway is the wolf on the right. It has a hosed-up front paw that is a mess in the exact way that Stable Diffusion likes to make a mess of limbs, particularly non-human limbs. There's other things about the composition that I want to comment on later that people might beat me to.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

There's other AI art in the book as well, including a dinosaur that's very clearly missing a leg.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

senrath posted:

There's other AI art in the book as well, including a dinosaur that's very clearly missing a leg.

ns has a neck made of "textures"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There's also the axe-face: