Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just don't see how Avowed could be any better than Unavowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Any comparisons will be Disavowed, I'm sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Beartaco posted:

This is a heinous issue I've been dealing with for months now. Whenever I press the left thumbstick on my Xbone controller, Steam opens up an unclosable on screen keyboard. How do I disable this?

My solution up until this point has been to close the client whenever I play games outside of Steam, but now the client has started activating the keyboard while I'm playing games on their service. It overlays on top of all other applications and it captures every controller input. As far as I can tell there's no way to disable it without closing the whole program.

How do I disable this?

I don't know why it's sometimes unclosable, I got that too.

To disable it you need to change or disable the Desktop controller layout

Settings > Controller > Desktop Layout (Edit)

It's mapped to L3 by default, so you can unbind that. Or you could switch the entire layout, if you never make use of the Desktop functions.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Hwurmp posted:

It should be in Steam - Settings - Controller - Guide Button Chord Layout - Edit Layout - Joysticks. If anything says Show Keyboard, disable it.

I've disabled every setting in that menu. I've clicked on the configuration cog wheel and selected "Disable Steam input". I'm currently having to type underneath the onscreen keyboard because it simply won't go away lmao

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

I don't know why it's sometimes unclosable, I got that too.

To disable it you need to change or disable the Desktop controller layout

Settings > Controller > Desktop Layout (Edit)

It's mapped to L3 by default, so you can unbind that. Or you could switch the entire layout, if you never make use of the Desktop functions.

Yes, thank you so much! You are a hero and a saint. So what's the difference between Desktop and "Guide Button Chord"?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Beartaco posted:

Yes, thank you so much! You are a hero and a saint. So what's the difference between Desktop and "Guide Button Chord"?

Guide Buttons Chords are always active, even in game (which is useful for, for instance, changing the volume). The Desktop layout is how the controller behaves when no Steam game is active (which can be also be useful for games that are hard to get on Steam, though that's finicky in its own way and still doesn't work with everything).

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

I had a similar issue that popped up a few months ago which ended up being due to firmware problems with the xbox controller.

Have you tried updating that? There's a Microsoft Store app called "Xbox Accessories" that updates it for you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is Generation Zero worth playing these days? I played it with a friend back in 2020 after it just came out and it was fine but only held our attention for 10 hours or so before we fell off. I see they've been patching and adding new stuff (a lot of DLC) since then, has any of that made it a better game?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

claw game handjob posted:

The two major studios doing them are jank or collapsing (Spiders and Bioware respectively). A few others dabbled and realized "it is a better use of our time and resources to go a little more stock CRPG".

I feel like Spiders started out trying to make Mass Effect with no budget, but I think every one of their games has improved over the previous one. Mars: War Logs was pretty atrocious back in the day, but I had a really good time with Greedfall. It's nice to see them out there still doing it.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 4, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

Is Generation Zero worth playing these days? I played it with a friend back in 2020 after it just came out and it was fine but only held our attention for 10 hours or so before we fell off. I see they've been patching and adding new stuff (a lot of DLC) since then, has any of that made it a better game?

Kind of but it’s still essentially the same thing but just more of it and the more is a bit better designed. It’s one of those games where there’s only so much you can do to improve what’s there without completely redesigning it. So in short I guess “Its better but still just a better version of what you already had.”

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Substandard posted:

I feel like Spiders started out trying to make Mass Effect with no budget, but I think every one of there games has improved over the previous one. Mars: War Logs was pretty atrocious back in the day, but I had a really good time with Greedfall. It's nice to see them out there still doing it.
I think Steelrising is a Genuinely Good game. The jank is still there, you can tell it's on low budget, but it's the first game of theirs I managed to actually finish and I had fun doing so, can even imagine replaying the thing a couple years down the line.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I predict within a year people will think Lies of P and Steelrising were the same game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rise of Stee

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Steel Lies: Rise of P

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ShadowMar posted:

"but what about the deluxe edition dlc?"

they gave that to everyone who bought the game during early access for free
i mean, that is cool and all but it doesnt help anyone who didnt buy the game during early access. the $10 mtx pack still exists.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

I predict within a year people will think Lies of P and Steelrising were the same game.

Hell, I learned from this post that they aren't the same.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I still believe they are the same, even though I've played Steelrising

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Awesome! posted:

i mean, that is cool and all but it doesnt help anyone who didnt buy the game during early access. the $10 mtx pack still exists.

Oh no

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Awesome! posted:

If the worst mtx they do with BG3 is a :10bux: DLC pack, that's still better than 99% of the competition.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Commander Keene posted:

If the worst mtx they do with BG3 is a :10bux: DLC pack, that's still better than 99% of the competition.

sure, but saying there are no microtransactions when there are is weird to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Awesome! posted:

10 bucks is a macro transaction

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Awesome! posted:

When people talk of a game having microtransactions in 2023 they're probably talking about an in-game cash shop, not a one-time DLC available on the Steam page.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's 2023 and 592,770 people are playing a new Baldur's Gate game.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GhostDog posted:

It's 2023 and 592,770 people are playing a new Baldur's Gate game.
I've never played a baldur's gate game and I would be tempted except this review makes me think it might not be for me

quote:

P.S: It's impossible to get a refund, because the character creation alone will take at least a couple of hours.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mystes posted:

I've never played a baldur's gate game and I would be tempted except this review makes me think it might not be for me

If you don't want to do that, they have a bunch of interesting and varied PCs readymade that you can just grab and go.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Plus you can just click through custom creation quickly if you've got an idea in mind and aren't going to spend forever on tweaking your appearance and little choices, and still get to trying it out pretty promptly.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm about 5 hours into BG3 and so far it feels like DOS2 with a D&D skin and cinematic cutscenes. Not really blown away by the dialogue or writing, but it is a step up from their precious games.

Awesome! posted:

It's a bunch of useless cosmetics and cheap consumables. The best item casts a level 1 spell.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Man, this is the coolest poo poo. Blind SF6 player at EVO.

Videogames... good?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Videogames... good?

He probably just button mashes.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

MarcusSA posted:

He probably just button mashes.

Dude, he's playing on Classic controls and is in the winners pools, dude's smashing it. I just watched him block a crossup. Absolute loving legend.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

Videogames... good?

would be more impressive if he was the one using the controller imo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Capcom actually did something really cool with SF6 and worked with several blind players and an agency that's focused around removing accessibility barriers in e-sports to make it more accessible. They designed an alternate set of sound cues so that it's entirely possible to know what's happening on-screen without actually seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBIcy5z7kkM&t=2s

It's essentially playing a fighting game via echolocation which is cool as gently caress. Some real Daredevil poo poo

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 4, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why is he wearing a blindfold?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

awesmoe posted:

would be more impressive if he was the one using the controller imo

Lmao, that was someone setting up the blind options for him. :v:

Dude won 2-1. Man, this is some great poo poo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

MarcusSA posted:

The vast majority of people categorized as blind have some form of vision at a significantly reduced degree - I think the US census definition is worse than 20/200 even with correction. Probably wearing the blindfold to block out the light which could be a distraction in a bigass venue hall

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Propaganda Hour posted:

The vast majority of people categorized as blind have some form of vision at a significantly reduced degree - I think the US census definition is worse than 20/200 even with correction. Probably wearing the blindfold to block out the light which could be a distraction in a bigass venue hall
I have legally blind family members and yeah, this is true.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Been playing the System Shock remake after never being able to get into the original even with the remaster and this might be one of my favorite shooters/immersive sim maybe type games in years. Think I'm heading into the last portion of the game (just got the objective to go blow up antennae) and will definitely be putting this on my list of games I replay every year or two.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Propaganda Hour posted:

Stolen valor IMHO.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

KakerMix posted:

10 bucks is a macro transaction

10 bucks for an expansion pack is a macro transaction
20 bucks for a mount skin is a microtransaction
what a world

e:

MarcusSA posted:

he even wears it while streaming on twitch
many forms of blindness aren't really outwardly visible, i guess this is a way to play it up and show the audience that he really is playing without sight without having to explain it every time

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

MarcusSA posted:

Respectfully averting his eyes from Chun-li.