Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
how the hell do you even become able to do a body slam without lifting weights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sloppily

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Nea posted:

By lifting dudes, I'm guessing.

EDIT: Traditional wrestling training, even without weight training on top, builds a decent amount of strength and muscle. While those guys might not look as jacked as weightlifters do, they've got great functional and core strength, which are great for slamming folks.
IIRC, most All Japan guys (including Baba) received training from legit catch wrestling guys, which might have influenced his views.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 3, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I wonder if this is what those guys in the Wall Market squatting minigame in FF7 are tapping into as well?

In ff7 it’s 100%

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nea posted:

As it happens good technique and assistence by the guy being thrown can overcome a lot of strength deficit. Its fairly trivial to bodyslam someone who is around your same size or even slightly larger, the strength comes in when you want to be someone like rey mysterio to pick up big show.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Definitely an upper limit to that too, like the time Kevin Nash tried to power bomb The Giant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Famously strong athlete Kevin "Big Daddy Cool" Nash

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
"Amateur" wrestling training has produced some of the most freakily athletic pro wrestlers.
IIRC, some wrestler talked about how Shelton Benjamin didn't used to do weight training in his early years, he just did wrestling training, and was an incredible all-around athlete.

Just to sum up: Weight training is the most straightforward way to gain power, but it turns out training to throw people your size will also make you very strong. Especially when it comes to moving objects that aren't shaped like barbells.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I asked Swerve on Twitter but I don't expect an answer. Does that head kick he does have a name?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Suleman posted:

EDIT: Traditional wrestling training, even without weight training on top, builds a decent amount of strength and muscle. While those guys might not look as jacked as weightlifters do, they've got great functional and core strength, which are great for slamming folks.
IIRC, most All Japan guys (including Baba) received training from legit catch wrestling guys, which might have influenced his views.

oh absolutely, and you definitely need to do it to do it, it just seems hard to get from 'normal, above average fitness guy' to the point where you can even begin to mostly lift other guys. but the other posts mentioning how the other guy assists a lot make sense to me.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I asked Swerve on Twitter but I don't expect an answer. Does that head kick he does have a name?

I feel like I've heard it called Killshot in reference to his Lucha Underground character but not sure it's been consistent

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it'd be a real good name for it honestly

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you asked the question rudely he might have named it "Your Mom"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like I've heard it called Killshot in reference to his Lucha Underground character but not sure it's been consistent

That's what I've been calling it just because that's the first time I saw the kick.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

flatluigi posted:

it'd be a real good name for it honestly

except that it never finishes anyone even though it's clearly cooler than the stomp

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Suleman posted:

it's particularly worth mentioning that folks like Karl Gotch trained with stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreCOrf9ExM

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gotch-Style mace to the head.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Definitely an upper limit to that too, like the time Kevin Nash tried to power bomb The Giant.

I mean certain lifts are gonna be way harder. While a power bomb is probably out of the question just because of the physics of the thing, a scoop slam, suplex, or firemans carry shouldnt be much of an issue. edit: Kevin Nashes legendarily lovely legs not withstanding.

CaptMrWill
Jan 26, 2004
www.will-o-rama.com
People reminisce so strongly about late-90s All Japan, but what was the more successful company at that time? All Japan or New Japan? I know All Japan was big before the NOAH split-off, but was it bigger than NJPW?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CaptMrWill posted:

People reminisce so strongly about late-90s All Japan, but what was the more successful company at that time? All Japan or New Japan? I know All Japan was big before the NOAH split-off, but was it bigger than NJPW?

I'd presume New Japan. They ran multiple dome/stadium shows throughout the '90s, All Japan ran the Dome twice, in '98 for the 25th Anniversary and in '99 for the Giant Baba Memorial. Meanwhile in '99 New Japan ran the Tokyo Dome 3 times.

The attendances are all worked as hell in that era so you can't look into that part, but if AJPW could do 35,000 in the Dome instead of 16,000 at the Budokan I'd assume they'd have done that

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

It was njpw they were the most successful wrestling company in the world for much of the early 90s

edit meant to say most of the 90s. They had a bonaza string of sellouts in a row.

Suplex Liberace fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 4, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i cant find if Dave did a full 90s bussines rundown quickly but heres some figures over the years.

Big Dave in 1993 posted:

Once again, no correlation between a significant (16.4%) attendance increase and a slight decline (5.2%) in television viewership. New Japan boomed this year with the interpromotional feud with WAR creating all the new “dream” match-ups. As the “dream” matches rantheir course, combined with the weakest foreign crew in the company’s history, the boom subsided largely after the September series, particularly in the weak tag team tournament. Most feel the quality of the New Japan house shows, particularly the headline matches, was the lowest in years because the WAR and Skinheads vs. New Japan feuds. New Japan sold out an estimated 70% of its house shows this past year, slightly up from last year, which is a lower percentage than All Japan, but they booked a substantial number of larger arena shows during the year. Of the major promotions, New Japan drew the greatest average attendance, the largest gates and had the best television ratings during the past year. Signs going into the year because of the feuds no longer being fresh and weak foreign talent are that its 1993 success will be difficult to duplicate.

Big Dave in 1995 posted:

Final 1995 attendance figures in Japan (we'll cover the United States in a few weeks and also have a rundown of the biggest drawing cards of the year--Keiji Muto was the No. 1 drawing card in the world in 1995) saw All Japan run 138 shows and draw 442,850 fans or a 3,209 per show average, a slight drop (-4.5%) from its 1994 average of 3,359. In 1992 and 1993 the group averaged in the range of 3,800 per show. New Japan drew 1,084,066 fans in 164 shows (that's including shows that are really New Japan shows but weren't New Japan in name such as Anton Promotions, Heisei Ishingun and a few late year UWFI shows) for an average of 6,610 fans per show which is probably the highest average per year for any promotion that runs a regular (as opposed to once monthly) schedule in at least the recent history of wrestling. It's a whopping 42.9% increase over averaging 4,627 in 1994. The company averaged about 5,000 in 1993.

Big Dave in 1997 posted:

NJPW
(’95 / ’96 / ’97)
Attendance - 3,047 / 3,674 / 3,280
Gate - $158,410 / $169,523 / $134,190
Sellout percentage - 22.7 / 71.8 / 61

Big Dave in 1999 posted:

Japanese wrestling hit its peak a few years back, and for numerous reasons, among them stale booking and the inability, because of lessening television exposure, to create new stars coupled with the country’s economic woes, it has been on the decline ever since. Vader gave All Japan a shot in the arm, but his signing is still in the long run like putting a band-aid on cancer. But All Japan still had a successful year largely because of the revenue drawn on 5/1 when it drew 58,300 fans for its first ever Tokyo Dome show. It will, over the next few days, officially announce a show on 5/2 for a return at the Dome, with a lot of speculation again about making a deal with WWF to put the show over the top. And then there’s New Japan. For years, New Japan was the model wrestling promotion. In the 80s, the company created more wrestling superstars than any company in history, enough to stock numerous major successful promotions, which is, in fact, what happened. By the mid-90s, with its interpromotional feuds and emphasis on creating the race of “super athletes,” it reached levels that no other companies had up to that point. After a great 1996 built around interpromotional angles, it declined but still had a very financially strong 1997, but got stale in 1998, while still presenting some awesome matches, particularly the best matches in the world every night in the mid-cards. There were exciting main events as well, the best of any major promotion on a consistent basis although the All Japan big show main events beat them out, and there were no shows anywhere in the world that could hold a candle from top-to-bottom with the G-1 Climax shows in August. But with WCW providing weak foreign talent and the company smartly limiting the exposure of its created foreign heels, Don Frye and Brian Johnston, the main events were often stale. As is often the case, instead of blaming themselves for not creating enough new stars and new angles to keep the product fresh, and instead relying on the athletic aspect above the soap opera (and in any combat sport, its boom periods are when the hype for creation of dream matches peaks and not the athletic peak of performance in the ring), the blame was placed elsewhere.

I trust big dave to have the non papered numbers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_wrestling_attendance_records_in_Japan

none of the attendance on any of these shows are legit but this list is also 80% NJPW events.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, New Japan by a considerable distance. All Japan probably could have made more money than it did at its peak in the early-mid '90s but Baba was very conservative and risk-averse as a promoter -- he was happy to do the exact same tours year on year and was content with ending them on a Nippon Budokan sellout. Later in the decade they were still doing good business in Tokyo but they badly started to decline outside of the capital. As Meltzer says, their match-ups got pretty stale and they didn't have much exposure on TV (they had like, a half-hour graveyard slot on Nippon TV). If I remember correctly, the 1998 and 1999 Dome shows were largely financed by NTV.

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
Out of curiosity how come this place doesn't do threads for raw or smackdown. All I see are threads for AEW.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Professor Skittles posted:

Out of curiosity how come this place doesn't do threads for raw or smackdown. All I see are threads for AEW.

We used to. The interest just really isn't there anymore to warrant a thread per show. There's threads for Raw and Smackdown... for the year.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

There are threads for Raw and smackdown, but they aren't made on a weekly basis. Like 2 people watch the shows live.

Raw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021075
Smackdown: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021371

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
there's also nxt but it hasn't been posted in in a couple days short of a year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997499

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

No one watches WWE, Trump supporters and the Saudis just use it as a weird Sound of Freedom like front to cycle money to Linda's America 1st PAC. They learned how to game the ratings from Bubba the Love Sponge and use the tickets they buy to allow Vince's fans to attend shows.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fed’s dead

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

wwe/vince dangled the carrot so loving often that as soon as something like aew showed up, that was large, american, and averse to pulling that kind of poo poo, psp just turned around and (mostly) never looked back

also vince mcmahon is so much more massively evil than tony khan, who is just minorly poo poo as far as billionaires are concerned

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tony Khan has the heart of a true poster even though he’s a billionaire and that’s why people love him

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Tony Khan has the heart of a true poster even though he’s a billionaire and that’s why people love him

Tony Khan is also absolutely the kind of nerd much of PSP is, running e-feds or the spreadsheet wrestling games as a younger man and now drawing on that experience to book television and PPVs on actual by-god TV. It’s amazing.

Still don’t know which account is his. I’m guessing Cavauro.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

*says theodicily* WWE has made more money than ever this year and its rapist owner is once again worth billions.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The jumping kick? In Defy it's called the House Call, because Defy is where the whole Swerve's House thing came from. I haven't heard them call it that in AEW though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Bonk posted:

The jumping kick? In Defy it's called the House Call, because Defy is where the whole Swerve's House thing came from. I haven't heard them call it that in AEW though.

Now that you mentioned it I'm pretty sure I remember Excalibur calling it the House Call at some point. I've only ever watched Swerve in AEW so it'd have to be that

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did they call him Harley Race? He didn’t look very fast to me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Because it was his name.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Rusher Kimura didn't rush enough either good headbutts tho

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah he could harely race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

On foot maybe, driving town to town…