Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Truga posted:

playing with friends is more fun, and these days good mmos tend to have level sync or similar so you can play with all your friends regardless of their individual progress, it's great

hell, it's not even limited to mmos, even path of exile has level sync. i touched it a few times over the years, but since it got that in i've played a lot more

Rad, when did POE add that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

Rad, when did POE add that?

i think in delve so... 2018?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I now have 110 hours in DQX and It's very FTW. Fun comfy mmo even though I basically never have to interact with other players lol

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Yeah, I think you guys hit the nail on the head: not only do MMOs have this hopeful mysticism, dynamism and scale about them that makes you think that anything could happen, but the whole 'tangible recorded progression' is something that really digs into my brain and gets me addicted despite my better judgment. It's funny, that feeling that an MMO is like a 'job' that you can put 'work' into and 'earn' rewards: you'd think it would be an immediate demerit against it, and it should, as games should be fun, but somehow it can really trick you into thinking that you're doing something important with your time, more important than other games, despite it very much being not the case. Whenever I quit an MMO is usually when the initial fog clears and the treadmill with carrot dangling becomes too obvious, and I look at all my stockpiled potions and gil and suddenly feel very silly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I now have 110 hours in DQX and It's very FTW. Fun comfy mmo even though I basically never have to interact with other players lol

Welp, here I am interested in learning about another MMO. I'd never heard about this until now: what's the deal here? All I'm seeing is videos saying that it's Japan only: is this something like a mod-translated version you're playing? I'm also seeing talk about an offline version? And it looks like FFXI: does that sound accurate?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 2, 2023

Pryce
May 21, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Welp, here I am interested in learning about another MMO. I'd never heard about this until now: what's the deal here? All I'm seeing is videos saying that it's Japan only: is this something like a mod-translated version you're playing? I'm also seeing talk about an offline version? And it looks like FFXI: does that sound accurate?

Japan-only but they didn’t region block it. There’s an English client mod you can install; I believe originally it was all machine-translated but over time the community went back and did it by hand to the point where the first two expansions are fully “done”?

A huge part of the game is completely “free” with an optional subscription, and setting it up was not a hassle if you follow the many guides out there on the internet. Game itself is a fully turn-based MMO, so it’s genuinely just a multiplayer “Dragon Quest” game in that sense.

They did recently announce (or released?) what’s effectively an offline single-player revamp of the MMO, but I believe that’s not getting an English release either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did Crowfall ever come back? Or did that go the way of exactly where I thought it would; the source code going into the trashbin?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it shut down last year pending a cool ground-up redesign that will absolutely, surely happen. They were bought out by some other company who are likely stripping them for parts. Also the official discord went read-only a few weeks ago lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pryce posted:

Japan-only but they didn’t region block it. There’s an English client mod you can install; I believe originally it was all machine-translated but over time the community went back and did it by hand to the point where the first two expansions are fully “done”?

Basically the main story is hand translated (although it's still definitely a bit rough, def not professional quality) but all the NPC dialogue you get just from interacting with them in the world is MTL but it doesn't matter much since 99% of the actual important stuff is in the cutscenes themselves. They actually are up to the current expansion as of july, unless they meant they MTL'd it (I'm still here in the second expac)

The Offline version I think is up to the second expac now but yeah they're not bringing it over either for some reason.

It's a pretty unique game in that it has some real old MMO design ethos where balance and stuff does not matter so you have classes like the Armamentalist that can give everyone infinite MP and huge buffs or the gadabout that can nuke everything for ridic damage or possibly kill themselves on a coinflip, etc.

https://dqxabbey.com/pages/getting_started.html

For anyone interested, it's pretty simple to get going. You do have to VPN if you're from the EU though but theres no gaijin filter for NA

e: I just unlocked flying and you travel on like an old JRPG world map when you do it which I find really charming lol.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 3, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KiraTV has a pretty good documentary on the history and scam of Shroud of the Avatar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMxjwtxn6NI we don't see this game discussed really anymore in MMORPG circles. The game was always trash, and never had many people playing it. But its interesting to understand how someone like Richard Garriot, created such a garbage game and attempted to steal from people.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

KiraTV has a pretty good documentary on the history and scam of Shroud of the Avatar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMxjwtxn6NI we don't see this game discussed really anymore in MMORPG circles. The game was always trash, and never had many people playing it. But its interesting to understand how someone like Richard Garriot, created such a garbage game and attempted to steal from people.

He stole a lot though. People were eating up this poo poo, I was extremely mad at the time by how outrageous a scam this game was. Garriott and that bald dude must have made a killing

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 3, 2023

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Mr. Pickles posted:

He stole a lot though. People were eating up this poo poo, I was extremely mad at the time by how outrageous a scam this game was. Garriott and that bald dude must have made a killing

Garriott is also going down the NFT/Crypto path with his next "mmo", that obviously doesn't exist and never will.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My pet theory is that garriott was always a conman and Raph koster carried Ultima online

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I recall hovering the mouse over the garriott game donation button then thinking "nah, this is gonna be star citizen 2 at best, lets wait a few days" and snapped out of it the last moment. Then in 2-3 days time the game had hit the crowdfunding goal 2x and donations kept pouring in regardless so I realized its gonna be a grab and run no matter what

others were not so lucky and got scammed

then they sent some gaming blogger goon called lum the mad to shill for the game here on the SA topic which was a low blow but... honestly I cant imagine anyone turning down a job offer by richard garriott. anyway

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Richard Garriot is one of those devs who were great as the hungry young solo dev making a game by themselves, but could never grow out of that or be of any value as the member of a team. They could always go back and just start making games by themselves again, but that'd require a now rich person to do honest labor.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Hra Mormo posted:

Richard Garriot is one of those devs who were great as the hungry young solo dev making a game by themselves, but could never grow out of that or be of any value as the member of a team. They could always go back and just start making games by themselves again, but that'd require a now rich person to do honest labor.

I honestly think he was just a result of "right person, right time". He was making his first Ultima games back when few people were making games and by the time he peeked with Ultima 7 he had really gotten good at the origional open world RPG. He also had minimal competition accross the market which I am sure helped massivly. People like this who came from Table Top gaming were great assets as they could put togeather a full world and story quickly in those days.

Today hes forced to lead people, I am sure he keeps getting told to stay in his lane as a producer or lead story teller or some such.

Someone should give him a neverwinter style playground with tons of assets and a pre-built engine and tell him to go hog wild making games. But of course he never uses the same engine twice (Forgetting the Pegan / Crusader / Ultima 7 part 2 stuff).

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mr. Pickles posted:

Compared to Chris Roberts they are amateurs though.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

My pet theory is that garriott was always a conman and Raph koster carried Ultima online

Not sure Koster is much better at this point.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Compared to Chris Roberts they are amateurs though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Dackel posted:

Evercraft Online had an impromptu alpha for a few hours without much warning. Of course this had to have been during the Diablo 4 open beta while i was playing with hubs and friends. Oh well, time to wait 6 months for the next one

they're doing another one now

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

they're doing another one now

right when everyone is playing BG3 lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Today is a red letter day in the DAOC freeshard scene!

Eden - by far one of the most popular free servers - shut down Season 1.

In a game first, eden is the first "seasonal" server we've seen.

Previously, the lifecycle of the free servers was super predictable - a clunky but well played beta period, a huge launch, a few good months of action and then 6-12 months of decline as people's progress slowed down and the meta became static and boring, until the population dropped enough that admins/bankrollers said "nobody's playing" and shut it down. Then another team would announce their server, cycle begins anew.

Eden is attempting a long play by doing seasons. the tldr:

Characters wiped at season 2 start
If you reached level 50 and a certain (very attainable in like 2 days of PVP) realm rank, you keep your character's name and realm points. Basically I'll log in to a bunch of level 1's that are already there.
Housing gone but items inside are kept - so you can buy a house again and put all your trophies and doodads right back up
Crafting skills carry over, so if you got Legendary Grandmaster Armorer, you'll be able to make the best armor straight out of the gate.
All ingame currency wiped
Titles for X PVP kills or Y tower defenses remain.

Realm points (your PVP points) stay, but Eden has a ratcheting cap. So, at launch, you can level to 50, you still have 1,000,000 realm points in the bank, but nobody on the server gets any benefits (increased damage / perk points / etc) beyond rank 2 level 9 (decimal system.) Then each week they ratchet it up so cap is 3L1, then 3L3, 3L5, so on. If you're over the cap on your character? You still earn points and they go in the bank, but you don't have to actually do anything as long as you're overcapped on points.

It's a fascinating idea and we're all really excited to see how it goes. Season 2 adds a few classes from one of the expansions and a lot of new missions and content, both pve and pvp. After a 6-8 week beta period (that includes free max level characters to experiment with), the wipe happens and we do it all again.

---

The advantage is pretty clear. Instead of totally throwing all your work in the trash and starting as a level 1 with no skills, no resources, you've got _something_ to boost you along. And since we are very familiar with how this particular team balanced and set up the PVE, we will be able to tear through leveling very quickly and get out into PVP in just a day or two, versus the couple weeks that Season 1 (or a brand new server) would take.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Jonny 290 posted:

Today is a red letter day in the DAOC freeshard scene!

Eden - by far one of the most popular free servers - shut down Season 1.

In a game first, eden is the first "seasonal" server we've seen.

Previously, the lifecycle of the free servers was super predictable - a clunky but well played beta period, a huge launch, a few good months of action and then 6-12 months of decline as people's progress slowed down and the meta became static and boring, until the population dropped enough that admins/bankrollers said "nobody's playing" and shut it down. Then another team would announce their server, cycle begins anew.

Eden is attempting a long play by doing seasons. the tldr:

Characters wiped at season 2 start
If you reached level 50 and a certain (very attainable in like 2 days of PVP) realm rank, you keep your character's name and realm points. Basically I'll log in to a bunch of level 1's that are already there.
Housing gone but items inside are kept - so you can buy a house again and put all your trophies and doodads right back up
Crafting skills carry over, so if you got Legendary Grandmaster Armorer, you'll be able to make the best armor straight out of the gate.
All ingame currency wiped
Titles for X PVP kills or Y tower defenses remain.

Realm points (your PVP points) stay, but Eden has a ratcheting cap. So, at launch, you can level to 50, you still have 1,000,000 realm points in the bank, but nobody on the server gets any benefits (increased damage / perk points / etc) beyond rank 2 level 9 (decimal system.) Then each week they ratchet it up so cap is 3L1, then 3L3, 3L5, so on. If you're over the cap on your character? You still earn points and they go in the bank, but you don't have to actually do anything as long as you're overcapped on points.

It's a fascinating idea and we're all really excited to see how it goes. Season 2 adds a few classes from one of the expansions and a lot of new missions and content, both pve and pvp. After a 6-8 week beta period (that includes free max level characters to experiment with), the wipe happens and we do it all again.

---

The advantage is pretty clear. Instead of totally throwing all your work in the trash and starting as a level 1 with no skills, no resources, you've got _something_ to boost you along. And since we are very familiar with how this particular team balanced and set up the PVE, we will be able to tear through leveling very quickly and get out into PVP in just a day or two, versus the couple weeks that Season 1 (or a brand new server) would take.

That’s loving cool as hell

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Warning: archeage talk

Archeage classic was released last week and I am absolutely amazed at just how well a private server could run.

No p2w, 3.0 patch, exceptionally smooth servers. Boosted labor rates, XP, and honor.

Huge nostalgia overload from AA classic but without the drama. Got that sandbox feeling I've been looking for.

Just astonishing how a small dev team can deliver what was promised for NA launch the first time. Worth checking out if you've ever been interested in archeage at all AA-Classic.com completely free.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the drama was the best part of that game

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I never played it because I missed the original launch by many years and when I finally learned about it everyone said it was absolute poo poo.

How’s the combat and exploration?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

the drama was the best part of that game

It was absolutely incredible, I think only New World's drama has surpassed it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

rip new world thread, taken from this world too soon

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Hmmmm

how is housing?

i loved dead server AA. being the only person zooming around with the pre -nerf good car (that i built twice from scratch..)

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

The New World thread is limping along, with almost no one participating in it.

So it's basically just like a real MMO in and of itself :v:

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 16, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Cutedge posted:

It all comes full circle :aaaaa:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cutedge posted:

i had no idea that a new thread was opened shortly after the old one got locked for ??? reasons. probably a lot of people who didn't catch that

time to catch up and get some lols/lmaos

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I think the last thread got locked because the OP just didn't want to be attached to it anymore, which is fair. Then someone picked it up again because the game still exists, and AGS still keeps loving up, and the lols and lmaos, much like New World's continued development, have significantly slowed down but continues to trickle in.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
anyone doing the wayfinder early access? curious to see how it's going as the early steam reviews don't seem to be encouraging at all :smith: i thought they'd be learning and leveraging all of the experience from warframe...

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Last King posted:

anyone doing the wayfinder early access? curious to see how it's going as the early steam reviews don't seem to be encouraging at all :smith: i thought they'd be learning and leveraging all of the experience from warframe...

They failed on the core principle of "people can play the game." Most of the bad reviews are people who haven't played at all or did the tutorial and couldn't zone out of it. They delayed the EA by two days then most couldn't play the first day after that, it's grim.

They're owning it on their discord but they're getting slaughtered in public perception. Not that it matters, if the game is good when people can actually log in and play it people will forget this pretty fast.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah from what I can tell right now the problem is that people just can’t really play. I’m happy to wait for that to be resolved and see what people think about the actual game.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah the game might be great but it's completely unplayable at the moment. Two of my friends have ~10 hours in-game with less than 5 minutes of actual play time

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Phoix posted:

Yeah the game might be great but it's completely unplayable at the moment. Two of my friends have ~10 hours in-game with less than 5 minutes of actual play time

yikes.... :smith: another one bites the dust? or too early to tell? how has the gameplay been (or can people still not log in)?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Its a fun game but nothing unique tbh. Pretty by the numbers.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ah yes, exactly what this dying genre needs. Another game of the same mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

All the stupid loving broad shouldered purple uniformed characters in that awful wayfinder game look like what an AI would spit out if you asked for dollar store moba guys