Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.gameinformer.com/2023/07/26/why-didnt-sonic-mania-2-happen

Sonic Mania 2 was never in the works. Neither side was interested in doing another pixel art Sonic game. Evening Star was involved in the planning stage of Sonic Superstars.

I still cautious about Arzest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A direct Mania 2 was never in development, but a spiritual successor that used HD graphics instead was in development early on, but ultimately they decided not to continue. Some of those ideas may have become superstars, I guess.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did they think pixel art was required for Mania 2? I think most people would have been happy with polygons or high-res sprites.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I would prefer a stylistic low-poly look

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Did they think pixel art was required for Mania 2? I think most people would have been happy with polygons or high-res sprites.

I think all they're saying here is 'We only would've called it Mania 2 if it was a pixel art game in the same style.' That was never on the table, so Mania 2 was never considered. They did explore a 2.5D game like you're suggesting with the Mania team, that would just have been considered a different, non-Mania sub-IP even if it was functionally Mania 2 with a different graphic style. And it looks like even when the Mania team backed out the momentum carried on to Superstars.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Give me a 2.5D Sonic game with Paper Mario-esque graphics, but the 2D characters are hand-drawn by Hesse.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Oh dude, if they did a hand animated Sonic game done Cuphead style? I could die happy.

(Not like rubber hose Fleischer stuff, just having all the stuff be hand animated in the Sonic Mania shorts style)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ngl pretty much everything Iizuka says about pixel graphics in this article makes my blood boil.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I do think Mania is a game that probably didn't attract as broad an audience as it could have, but not because it was pixel art - I think the specific issue is that so much of the game was reused/remixed content that casual fans might've dismissed it as a pure rehash, and if it had been 100% original it might have hit bigger.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/tmark365/status/1684357951480541184

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We finally get to be in a game with our friend, Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What’s this?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Filed trademark, purpose unknown. Categories seem to indicate some kind of game or electronic service rather than other media like TV or comics or etc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, with the title I first assumed it was another cartoon show or something

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Aww yeah, bringing back the Sega Pico & making new edutainment titles.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

TriffTshngo posted:

ngl pretty much everything Iizuka says about pixel graphics in this article makes my blood boil.

I mean, that's kind of a problem with Sonic Team and Sega in a nutshell: The people in charge have absolutely no idea what they're doing and every time the team is able to make something that works they inexplicably decide to move in a completely different direction with subsequent titles. It's kind of the reverse problem a lot of western properties have, where instead of the rights to a particular property being in the hands of people who didn't originally create it and have no idea how to handle it, Sonic is still being primarily controlled by a bunch of the same team members who first created him but they're a bunch of out of touch old guys with no idea what they're doing...

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sonic should go slow sometimes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Overbite posted:

Play Sonic Labyrinth then

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Sonic should get a job. Make the new game about Sonic dealing with office work drudgery.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Sonic should get a job. Make the new game about Sonic dealing with office work drudgery.

He was a cop at one time:

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Waku_Waku_Sonic_Patrol_Car

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Overbite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

Any excuse to post this video

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
A sonic supermarket warehouse restocker employee simulator. You have to intentionally go slow so you don’t destroy product. At the end of the week sonic is unable to make rent and has to crash with his friend vector who allows him to sleep on his patio, but it keeps raining every Friday night.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
To be fair, even within canon, Sonic is basically that guy everyone knows in college who doesn't actually have a permanent residence and has just been couch surfing for the past few years.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Use Sonic’s speed to avoid debt collectors. Hide on top of the warehouse stacks. In a harrowing scripted sequence, sonic accidentally locks himself in the freezer while smoking a blunt. Generate heat by running in place to cook frozen chicken nuggets so you have something to help with your munchies while trapped. If you fail the QTE sonic is forced to eat them frozen and will have an upset tummy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Not the Garfield & Friends parody I was expecting, but I'll take it

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The logo kinda reminds me of Sanrio a bit. So maybe it'll just be something aimed at younger fans.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Google translate mentions equipment and paper, so that implies school supplies and the like, or maybe books? I don't know how this works. Probably for young kids though, whatever it is.

The return of Sonic educational CD-ROMs?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sega Pico is back, babee.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's been a recent push of standalone edutainment devices with preloaded module "cartridges" which might fit.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That’s a cute logo.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Scourge was literally evil Sonic. He's an evil Sonic from an alt dimension. He used to look exactly like Sonic, (but wearing a punk outfit) but messing with the Master Emerald turned him green, and following that he decided he wanted to further differ himself from Sonic and named himself Scourge.

In the new IDW continuity he's been replaced by Surge the Tenrec

I feel like it's worth noting that he's not "an" evil Sonic, he's "Evil Sonic." As in, there's Cowboy Sonic and Cyborg Sonic and Multiverse Cop Sonic and Noir Sonic ect. ect. and all of them are good and there's Evil Sonic. Sonic with an Adjective. Past a certain point, Scourge seems to realize that on a cosmic level, he's the knock off. And he loving hates it so much he conquers his entire planet and forces everyone to change their names.

I generally hate the Chosen One type "You're Sonic Prime, the most important Sonic of them all" stuff, but someone realizing that they're the AU version and not the other way around is pretty great. There's some difference, but Surge swiped a bit of that from him with Starline making her a Sonic Bootleg and it's still great.

The big difference between them is that aside from that one sore spot, Surge is angry, while Scourge is bored. At some point in his life, he was basically Sonic, in a world at peace with no villains and no adventures. And, as Archie and a bit of the Adventure games and I think an episode of Sonic X implied sometimes, a Sonic with no reason to fight will fight anyway. And that's how, in-his-universe, he became Evil Sonic. It's less of a factor after he realizes he's Evil Sonic, but Scourge keeps that whole "mostly I just love doing this poo poo" attitude along with his "there is nothing on my entire planet that can stand up to me" ego the whole time, to the point where Sonic beats Super Scourge by tricking him into gloating and taunting and toying with him for too long. Surge is an angry bundle of trauma lashing out because that's all she can think to do with some of Sonic's fun traits literally grafted on, Scourge is all of Sonic's funnest traits pumped up to their worst by a lifetime of getting his way and zero bruises to his ego until it was way too late for him to learn to accept them. I almost can't see Surge not becoming a good guy at some point, while I could pretty much never see that happening to Scourge by the time he got wiped from continuity.

I miss Scourge.

But anyways they're both still cool, love Surge too, as an added bonus she's super fun to play in SRB2 and busted as hell in SRB2 Persona, and while she's personally less of a dark mirror to Sonic than Surge is as an individual, her relationship with Kitsunami (her Tails) mirrors a hosed up version of Sonic and Tails way more than Surge and Miles' whole Megatron and Starscream thing.

Dunno why I just did a super long post about that. If this post is bad I blame 4am, if it's good then of course it's good it's a post about Sonic and two of his three best villains.
(Actually, I wonder if meeting Scourge would give Surge some actual self reflection?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wonder if Surge is meant to eventually become the antihero that Shadow used to be and isn't really able to be in the way that they want anymore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’d be a long trip to reach that point, especially now that kit is cracked enough to actively feed her persecution complex instead of meekly going along with it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sonic! He can really move,

Captain France posted:

Sonic with an Adjective.

Sonic! He's the fasted thing alive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bless these writers

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1686376313387667456

Lego versions of Sonic, Tails and Amy have also been added to the mobile games Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces Speed Battle (the latter also has Lego Eggman)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1687131215856644096?t=tQRpIAzJTX5tWPOsmoVNOg&s=19

Neat, always appreciate a carnival/theme park style level.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Strong OVA vibes from that concept art.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/LiquidKonata/status/1686796911930482693

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sonic and Friends has been revealed! It is a new series of 3D animated shorts for kids that’ll be on Tik-Tok in Japan. Here’s the first short:

https://www.tiktok.com/@segaofficial/video/7264487259229932801