Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Barefoot Bart and Lisa? Gross.

Give me barefoot Simpsons female ninjas and then we'll talk.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bart, get out! I'm piss!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Watched the first episode of the new Futurama. So Fry is like canonically in his mid 40s now? Wait shouldn't Cubert be an adult then? What's the deal with that?

I liked the gag about the atomic calendar but otherwise it wasn't funny.

e: holy poo poo Billy West is 71

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 27, 2023

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Principal Skinner, I need some shoes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fry being in his mid 40s and still exactly the same is if anything way too relatable now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought that they were implying that for the revival there was some time distortion and yadda yadda yadda that's why it's 3023 now.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
the john waters episode rules and is 0% offensive (i am gay)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They should of let him write and direct the episode as well.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the mark hamill/homer becomes a bodyguard episode is great minus the part at the end when fat tony beats quimby with a baseball bat.

also, i came across one of my most hated clips of all time, which is from one of the seasons where it became REALLY hard to tolerate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb7peg0gq-o&t=27s

this is a great example of one of the big problems i started having with the show post season 15. most of the poo poo that goes on in that clip isn't particularly funny, and that's because they seemed to be focused on spectacle. it's kind of like how with family guy, when they started leaning heavy into the musicals, in many cases, they weren't even parodying/mocking the musical in question. but rather, they were just simply going "hey, let's take the musical from X, but have the cast of FG sing it instead!". so kind of like what it started doing with references in general as time went on, even the references wouldn't be funny a lot of the time, but just the fact that they made the reference was supposed to make you go "hey, i know that thing!" and make you laugh, even though there's no actual funny or clever joke being made.

edit:

hatty posted:

my only takeaway is that Billy West's Fry voice sounds kinda scraggly

hermes sounds 100 times worse

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 28, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

this is a great example of one of the big problems i started having with the show post season 15. most of the poo poo that goes on in that clip isn't particularly funny, and that's because they seemed to be focused on spectacle. it's kind of like how with family guy, when they started leaning heavy into the musicals, in many cases, they weren't even parodying/mocking the musical in question. but rather, they were just simply going "hey, let's take the musical from X, but have the cast of FG sing it instead!". so kind of like what it started doing with references in general as time went on, even the references wouldn't be funny a lot of the time, but just the fact that they made the reference was supposed to make you go "hey, i know that thing!" and make you laugh, even though there's no actual funny or clever joke being made.

Hadn't seen it before, and when It started with the general industry/dog incorporated joke, I was like oh that's a pretty decent dumb joke, maybe this won't be so bad, and yeah the jokes just sort of stopped and there was just this seemingly endless stretch of "oh look and epic cardboard box for fight, how whacky!". Really should of just had it as a two second background gag later in the episode or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright felt like torturing myself today.

In "Clown v. Board of Education" Krusty gets sad because clowning is a dying art, so he opens a clown-based private school. The Simpsons enroll Bart, who excels. Him, Nelson, and Milhouse get so good they beat Lisa and other nerds in Academic Bowl. The Mob sees how successful the new school is so they insist on getting cut in. "Education is the last untapped scam in America". Krusty goes to the cops and wears a wire. The Mob figures him out but then the kids come in and save him by livestreaming it. The Mob burns down the school for the insurance.

Sucked

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Last night I was talking to a friend who has been watching the full run. She mentioned how season 32 and onward are by far her favorites so far. She at least agrees that Lisa is the worst, and that she hates everything the writers do with her political views and the vegetarian stuff. But then she told me Marge and Comic Book Guy are her favorite characters. I mentioned I just remember the later stuff giving cbg a Japanese girlfriend, and how the stuff I did see from that era seemed really cringe about it and like they made a big segment of one episode about the couple boil down to "Dude, Miyazaki lmao," because they don't know what else to do with a foreign character or the culture. Even though my friend is half-Japanese, she didn't really mention being bothered by it. And she kept talking about the show the way you would expect a person to describe a serious live action drama series to you. Her only complaint was that the later seasons seem to be aimed at "millennials and younger."

Either this is the most earnest troll I have ever met, or this is finally a first-hand answer for who watches zombie simpsons and somehow enjoys it. Possibly meaning the show has sunk so low, that people now enjoy it for the serious scripts(?), and not for comedy in any sense.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

some people are just dumb, can't do anything about it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Homer's Adventures through the Windshield Glass"

They put 750 characters in the intro.

https://twitter.com/StreamtheVote/status/1660661720581390336

Homer's mad at Marge for unexplained reasons and drives home angry (he stops to talk to the crazy cat lady in a series of grunts that are subtitled.) He hits something and flies through the windfield. Time slows down as he flies through the air. One of Maggie's toys among the debris starts talking to him (Lizzo). She helps him recount why he's angry.

He tries to open a safe deposit box to store a potato chip that looks like John Travolta. The banker (played by Bowen Yang) tells him the Simpsons already have one. It contains Marge's dad's will which gives her $1,000 a month for the last decade.

The kids appear in shards of windshield glass and say they've known about the money for a long time. Lizzo sings a song about how Marge was really bailing him out with the money the whole time.

https://twitter.com/ctlovesanime/status/1660506696006135809

There's a flashback to Marge and her dad where her dad calls him a loser. Homer wonders how he can see stuff he wasn't around for and Lizzo reveals he's dead from the crash. Homer goes to hell.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1662866430071537669

He meets Marge's dad in hell. He shows Homer a future where Lisa brings home a loser.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1663228774945636366

Homer survives the crash after all. Also the credits say Tim Robinson was in this episode but I'm not sure where it could have been. Lizzo and Lisa play the theme song in the credits scene.

There I finished the dumb season

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

Alright felt like torturing myself today.

In "Clown v. Board of Education" Krusty gets sad because clowning is a dying art, so he opens a clown-based private school. The Simpsons enroll Bart, who excels. Him, Nelson, and Milhouse get so good they beat Lisa and other nerds in Academic Bowl. The Mob sees how successful the new school is so they insist on getting cut in. "Education is the last untapped scam in America". Krusty goes to the cops and wears a wire. The Mob figures him out but then the kids come in and save him by livestreaming it. The Mob burns down the school for the insurance.

Sucked

Still not sure if having Krusty run a school that the mob takes an interest in is a troll or, judging by the low Simpsons knowledge displayed by some of their current writers/showrunners when they guest on the Doughboys podcast, they’ve really never seen Homie the Clown & think it’s a new idea.

PostNouveau posted:

There I finished the dumb season

Thank you for your service

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still not sure if having Krusty run a school that the mob takes an interest in is a troll or, judging by the low Simpsons knowledge displayed by some of their current writers/showrunners when they guest on the Doughboys podcast, they’ve really never seen Homie the Clown & think it’s a new idea.

The meta angle doesn't come up unless I missed it, which is entirely possible it didn't really hold my attention like the Lizzo one did.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

dr_rat posted:

Hadn't seen it before, and when It started with the general industry/dog incorporated joke, I was like oh that's a pretty decent dumb joke, maybe this won't be so bad, and yeah the jokes just sort of stopped and there was just this seemingly endless stretch of "oh look and epic cardboard box for fight, how whacky!". Really should of just had it as a two second background gag later in the episode or something.
Looking back, the giant cardboard fort feels like a Phineas and Ferb premise that wound up on the wrong show.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is the Lizzo episode the one with the twerking robot butler? Twerking robot butler.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is the Lizzo episode the one with the twerking robot butler? Twerking robot butler.

Yes, this is one of Homer's fantasies about what Marge has been doing with the money

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
wait is this just a hamfisted excuse as to why everything's back to normal after one of Homer's Zany Schemes, and they came up with it in like season 37? lol

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I’m up to season 19 in my rewatch (I’m gonna go through the whole thing, it’s my background show while I’m working atm so I’m not too fussed) and maybe it’s because this thread has set my expectations too low but so far the bad eps are a lot better than I remembered. Once you lower your expectations, and minus the odd really cringy moment, they have been pretty watchable even with the odd laughs still. I’m sure that’s gonna change as I get further.

On the flip side, the movie is a lot worse than I remember. It’s way worse than the seasons from the same time. The humour just doesn’t work in this format, every joke feels overly workshopped and over complicated and then isn’t even really a joke. It’s like a Simpsons movie for people who are only half aware of the Simpsons, like it was made in mind of the parents taking kids to go see it rather than the fans.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

I’m up to season 19 in my rewatch (I’m gonna go through the whole thing, it’s my background show while I’m working atm so I’m not too fussed) and maybe it’s because this thread has set my expectations too low but so far the bad eps are a lot better than I remembered. Once you lower your expectations, and minus the odd really cringy moment, they have been pretty watchable even with the odd laughs still. I’m sure that’s gonna change as I get further.

I didn't watch the Gaga episode until maybe a few years after I found this thread and if anything it's the one episode that's somehow even worse than anything that's been expressed here. Otherwise, I tend to tap out by the end of 12 or 13 at the latest any time I've done a rewatch, but I think there's also a factor of general overexposure to anything regardless of quality by that point.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
At least Lady Gaga is like, cool though? I think the strongest possible contender for actual lowest point is the episode that's all about fellating Elon Musk. Uh, figuratively. This was of course before we fully knew what a colossal douche he is, but still, doing an entire episode all about how great a billionaire is and being blatantly obvious that he asked to do it and they agreed to it is precisely the type of thing the show would have defiantly mocked in its good days.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Lady Gaga isn't really the reason that episode is so bad. It's bizarrely unfunny and grotesque. It's not just cringy hero worship, it's much worse than you expect.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've yet to subject myself to the Elon ep, if I'm feeling brave or bored I might seek it out soon, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being worse IMO.

But yeah I'm a fan of Lady Gaga and as ^ says, the problem wasn't really her.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Lady Gaga isn't really the reason that episode is so bad. It's bizarrely unfunny and grotesque. It's not just cringy hero worship, it's much worse than you expect.

go on

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hrist posted:

Either this is the most earnest troll I have ever met, or this is finally a first-hand answer for who watches zombie simpsons and somehow enjoys it. Possibly meaning the show has sunk so low, that people now enjoy it for the serious scripts(?), and not for comedy in any sense.

No dude, zombie simsons are starting to eclipse the Golden Years as the more relatable simpsons for the current audience. It's not the first time I've seen this sentiment either, whoever is watching it seems to prefer the current iteration over the classics.

It's an Omen for other shows to end on top before you lose your entire identity to be replaced by the echoes of your echoes afterwards.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Homer and Marge being Millennials fucks with me in a way I can't explain

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
They are not

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bart is Gen X.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happy Landfill posted:

Homer and Marge being Millennials fucks with me in a way I can't explain

It was weird enough when they became Gen X

Remember when Homer fronted a grunge band?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
just wait till there gen z

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The worst thing about the Lady Gaga episode was that loving train. Like… the show gives a little leeway to reality, but that was just too drat wacky. Even wackier than jockey elves.

I feel bad for Gaga because she’s great, but that episode is butt rear end. She deserved better.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Junk posted:

just wait till there gen z

It'll be another 10 years before that happens

Harry Shearer will be pretty close to Mr. Burns's actual age by that point

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I like how the original joke for the simpsons doesn't even make sense anymore. They're yellow cause Matt wanted to make it seem like people needed to adjust the color knob on their television set, now it's that way Just Because.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DaveWoo posted:

It'll be another 10 years before that happens

Harry Shearer will be pretty close to Mr. Burns's actual age by that point

Groening will have surpassed Mr. Burns’ wealth by then.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

White Light posted:

I like how the original joke for the simpsons doesn't even make sense anymore. They're yellow cause Matt wanted to make it seem like people needed to adjust the color knob on their television set, now it's that way Just Because.

I didn't know that :pusheen: that's brilliant

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

White Light posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Having a hard time processing what’s in the bowl.

Luv 2 eat uncooked ravioli during TV time.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 5, 2023