Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

dead gay comedy forums posted:

To remake a demon you need raw demonstuff and then mask it, right

Maybe something to what happened to white chain also happened to cio? A demon throws herself to certain death in order to save her love, etc? The identity is gone, but the transformation of that primordial stuff under that mask remains

Maybe, but it's probably more complicated than that. What I've taken from the explanations in the past is that the mask IS what makes up the "person" of the devil - Cio said her husband reassembled her mask, not her flame, so presumably that part is interchangeable with rest in the formless chaos that makes up unbound devils.

It seems like this is the first piece of a mask this devil has gained, it's hard to say it was "Cio" in any way before this moment. But then again, White Chain proved there were more to angels than was originally thought, so maybe there's also more to devils and the rules aren't so correct...? After all, the masks and binding were a human invention, it doesn't mean it's their inherent nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sindai posted:

We have Cio at home

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I name thee Pee-e-pee Esseye Cioelle

Last name Ciay Efefeye Ene Efaree-ee

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 4, 2023

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

I wonder if part of the weirdness is that, iirc, you generally restart back on the lower rungs- like, Yabalchoath and Vladok got kicked back down from ebon to blue when re-masked. And in this case, missing even more bits of mask than last time, she might be back to pale...? Doesn't look like any pale devil we've seen before, but the funky speech bubble and pale devils being unable to speak made me think of it. Probably more going on, but that could be part of things.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Harvey Birdman posted:

I wonder if part of the weirdness is that, iirc, you generally restart back on the lower rungs- like, Yabalchoath and Vladok got kicked back down from ebon to blue when re-masked. And in this case, missing even more bits of mask than last time, she might be back to pale...? Doesn't look like any pale devil we've seen before, but the funky speech bubble and pale devils being unable to speak made me think of it. Probably more going on, but that could be part of things.

Pale devils are still supposed to at least have a mask. This thing doesn't seem to, at least that I can see.

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, usually a mask and multiple red eyes, so even if I was right, something's up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I suspect it's an unbound devil. Those can be like what Vladok/Princess turned into at the end of the drinking contest, but they're also what power ships and go in liquor. And there has to be something that you put the mask onto to create a bound devil. So there could be a lot of forms unbound devils take that we haven't seen.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Storebrand Ciolle

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Before I recognised the mask shard my immediate thought was “an angel?” Because it has that vibe, I feel like we’re looking at a constructed shell to house her.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That thing looks more like some of the angels we've seen. Maybe WC swung for the fences and incorporated the bits of Cio's mask into angel armor?

AFAIK there isn't any way to make new angel armor though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

coolusername posted:

Before I recognised the mask shard my immediate thought was “an angel?” Because it has that vibe, I feel like we’re looking at a constructed shell to house her.

I mean... Maybe? I don't think, so but it does kind of remind me of the Petal Knight bodies.

Xand_Man posted:

AFAIK there isn't any way to make new angel armor though.

Zoss literally created the bodies the angels have now to be the peacekeepers for the conquered Throne, and Thorn knights obviously had new bodies made for them by Metatron.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 4, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean... Maybe? I don't think, so but it does kind of remind me of the Petal Knight bodies.

Zoss literally created the bodies the angels have now to be the peacekeepers for the conquered Throne, and Thorn knights obviously had new bodies made for them by Metatron.

I thought their shells had just mutated. I don't think the petal knights commissioned their new look

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
There's a similar blue/red to the mask along the stomach, maybe white chain thought she could 'magical bullshit in my head' her way back into The Fool or something similar and got any mask shards she could find. You don't build a devil a new body, you reconstruct their mask, so its probably not a Cio last-ditch rescue attempt.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Also, doesn't Operant live in Southeast? The alt-text should mention Waffle House instead of McDonald's.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

I thought their shells had just mutated. I don't think the petal knights commissioned their new look

We see White Chain presented with a new, empty spiked Thorn body during her banishment interlude.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats Thorn Knights. Petal Knights just dress up fancy I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe, but it's probably more complicated than that. What I've taken from the explanations in the past is that the mask IS what makes up the "person" of the devil - Cio said her husband reassembled her mask, not her flame, so presumably that part is interchangeable with rest in the formless chaos that makes up unbound devils.

Not necessarily. Vladok's old mask was completely destroyed before they became Princess.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oh nooooooooooooooooo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sindai posted:

We have Cio at home

but also lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think it was the God Koss, not Zoss, who made the old law bodies.

Megatron and friends can definitely make new armor though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

Yeah I was wrong about that and edited Petals out of the post. Their armor changes itself as they indulge.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I think it was the God Koss, not Zoss, who made the old law bodies.

Megatron and friends can definitely make new armor though.

Nah, the angels in their current form - Root Knights - are human-created as police for Thorne after its conquering. It could be lost knowledge now though.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 5, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sindai posted:

We have Cio at home

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Also, doesn't Operant live in Southeast? The alt-text should mention Waffle House instead of McDonald's.

McDonald's is an interuniversal chain

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sindai posted:

We have Cio at home

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

That thing’s about to spasm and birth a lil’ baby Cio

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE HELPING ME RIGHT NOW.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

habeasdorkus posted:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE HELPING ME RIGHT NOW.

Her half-sapient flesh puppet is right behind me, isnt it?

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
So I just noticed White Chain still has her right arm and eye. How did she manage to come out of Jagganoth's attack as Aspected Chaos unscathed? Cio was missing the same arm and eye as Allison iirc.

I'm definitely intrigued at seeing what remains of the Cio we knew in that tiny shard.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

EL Skirvo posted:

So I just noticed White Chain still has her right arm and eye. How did she manage to come out of Jagganoth's attack as Aspected Chaos unscathed? Cio was missing the same arm and eye as Allison iirc.

She explains that: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wheel-smashing-lord-2-35/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

EL Skirvo posted:

Her body was pretty new, it was still under warranty

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

:doh: Ah thanks, I had totally missed that somehow.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I name thee Pee-e-pee Esseye Cioelle

Last name Ciay Efefeye Ene Efaree-ee

.... god drat, how dumb can i be that i never sounded it out before

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gnome de plume posted:

Storebrand Ciolle

Arscie Cioelle

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whenever Abaddon draws Allison from the right, I keep forgetting and thinking that she's got both eyes closed. It's kind of funny.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

oh my God

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
White Chain got that place for a great rate 1000 years ago and like hell she's moving in this economy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IIRC from the comic and tumblr: Koss made Prime Angel armour. None of the other angels were ever incarnate in Throne during the time of the gods. Their armour was created after the Demiurges called the lesser angels into Throne in the Concordance, crafted using the ash that falls in the void as the material. Thorns aside, no new armour has been made in a very long time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My understanding is that... it's a bit like a glass of water. The glass gives it shape, the water is both interchangeable but the most important part.

I think with Vladok, he seemed to retain some memories partly because he was still in the process of dissolving back into unbound flame at the time and still had a bit of the shape of what he was with the mask on, and partly because Allison thought what she was masking was Vladok when she put the new mask on.

(Also, we've seen devils negotiating for new masks, but I'm guessing there's some kind of transfer process we haven't seen where the new is reformed to mimic the old or something)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 5, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wonder who moved into their skull apt or if its been boarded up for 4 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

ThaumPenguin posted:

McDonald's is an interuniversal chain

Bearer of the word FRIES and instigator of the seven-part bypass