Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

I think FIFA ratings might be bullshit y'all...

Doesn't look too terrible overall, 10 of the 13 highest-ranked teams are in the knockouts, versus 5 of the bottom 13...
Sure it's not a perfect prediction but it seems generally reasonable.

Main issues I can see:
- Canada should be lower & Japan higher based on their performances
-- 7th-ranked Canada are the only team in the 13 highest-ranked to finish the group stage with a negative goal difference
-- 11th-ranked Japan crushed their group despite being ranked as second-best behind Spain
- Germany and Brazil being knocked out feels like proper upsets not linked to particularly poor performance on their behalf...
-- Germany goes out with the fifth highest goal difference, and not off the back of spanking a minnow or already eliminated team, but one of the teams that qualified ahead of them. They were beaten by Colombia and drew South Korea in tight games that any team will have during a WC (England v Haiti, Norway v New Zealand, Australia v Nigeria, USA v Portugal, ...)
-- Brazil weren't favourites in their group according to the ranking, and it's more of a testament to Jamaica's strength that they're eliminated than any failure on their behalf
- CAF (Africa) countries are severely under-rated by the ranking, with all four being in the eight worst-ranked (including the three lowest-ranked)... But not only did none finish last in their group, three of the four are in three knockout round
- AFC (Asia) and CONCACAF (North America) seem to have many weak qualified teams, with six of the eight groups having a team from these confederations in last place, as well as sending all four of the teams that lost all of their matches. In absolute it's not a big issue (someone has to be last, after all!), But it would be interesting to see if FIFA can balance out the qualifiers to give more room to CAF (Africa) and CONMEBOL (South America) even if the additional spots results are also teams that lose all 3 games
-- [and FIFA should probably also remove one spot from UEFA (Europe) who already send 12 teams, despite two thirds qualifying for the knockout rounds and half of the eliminated teams being behind another UEFA team in their group but... this is the WC, not the Euros]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

FIFA are more likely to expand the tournament and assign the new spots in a way that favors the "lesser" federations than they are to ever EVER remove a spot from the "stronger" federations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't know where else to put this but the 2023 world cup is losing me friends! Had a guy I've known for over a decade go off about how much he's enjoying the US women looking like they're less than shoo-ins for the cup after they demanded more pay. "If they wanted more money they should generate more revenue," he says to me.

Maybe it's a good point. While they're out there kicking balls around, maybe I should ask the US women's team to control their marketing and somehow control how heavily a channel pushes their games.

Sucks to find out someone sucks!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well this game got crazy in a hurry

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Shitzerland

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

....what the poo poo?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:wtc: was that

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Ahahahhahahahah

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Danke! :lol:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well this match certainly isn't boring!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Action packed already

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The Swiss defense is so full of holes like...something...dammit, I had something for this.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

why Putellas on the bench?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Case in point, that.

(Lovely footwork from the Spaniard though)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's a Swiss melt

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

whypick1 posted:

The Swiss defense is so full of holes like...something...dammit, I had something for this.

as holey as a cuckoo clock

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Rude, I missed the first 30 minutes and somehow four goals

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Swiss

Rest in piss

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

...so how exactly did Switzerland win their group?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Love a good goalmouth scramble

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

whypick1 posted:

Norway (Snoreway, Boreway), New Zealand, Philippines.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Spanish asking a lot of questions so far

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That was a pretty neat sequence from the Swiss...so of course it's shot right at the keeper.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nobody's scored yet this half, wtf?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Norway took time to figure things out, New Zealand and Philippines were the others...

look I thought this was nailed on to be a boring match, but it sounds like Spain got a wake-up call :staredog:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:laffo:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Hegerberg starts on the bench against Japan.

Norway (4-3-3): Mikalsen - Bjelde, Mjelde, Harviken, Hansen - Syrstad Engen, Bøe Risa, Reiten - Graham Hansen, Román Haug, Haavi.

Japan (3-4-3): Ayaka Yamashita - Hana Takahashi, Moeka Minami, Saki Kumagai - Risa Shimizu, Yui Hasegawa, Fuka Nagano, Jun Endo - Hinata Miyazava, Aoba Fujin, Mina Tanaka.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

loving hell, just saw that incredible own goal

hell of a backpass to play (and receive), literally 10 minutes into your senior debut

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
here to watch vikings get nadeshikod

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Dang the store is out of Japan scarves

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Japan already won the jersey game.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i stan for fujinos bowl cut

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Gonna buy an Endo jersey at some point.

slorb
May 14, 2002
Norway only just got their poo poo together and now they have to play a team that beat Spain 4-0, seems unfair somehow.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Jesus christ.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Grimson posted:

Jesus christ.

I don't think he really cares about the Japanese team tbh

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It is going to be a pummeling.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Japan are the absolute nemesis of Australia’s men’s team so this feels weird, but let’s go glorious Nippon

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Well well well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
YESSSS inevitable