Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yukari's was the one where she like, held it in two hands and pointed it at the front of her head right?

Yeah honestly kind of a shame if they lose that. Everyone having different ones iirc had a lot of personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the victory screen is gonna be so funny when we're fighting strega

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Upon looking at it again, I get what they're going for, they're trying to replicate P5's mask ripping by having the character raise the Evoker to their head when you enter the skill menu. But it's a bad choice, I think, because it means you don't actually get to see the whole animation of the character raising the Evoker to their head and firing. You only see them firing it, and since the camera cuts directly into it, it lacks impact. It's a shame because those Evoker animations had a lot of character.

Also the animation itself just isn't dramatic enough, imo. Needs more oomph.

Yeah well put, I agree entirely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yukari's was the one where she like, held it in two hands and pointed it at the front of her head right?

Yeah honestly kind of a shame if they lose that. Everyone having different ones iirc had a lot of personality
yeah. mc had a bit of flair to his, femc just did it, yukari seemed hesitant about it, junpei didnt even seem to get the imagery, akihiko and mitsuru's were both confident, ken's looked like he had to psych himself up about it, and shinji's was laidback. it was neat.

and i think chidori actually kissed the barrel of hers?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It might also be an attempt to quicken the pace of battle, because P3's combat can often be described as "languid" and the Evoker animations were a big part of that, but it really saps the energy from attacks at the same time. At the very least they need to make the effect when it fires more pronounced.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The random expression cut ins during conversation also makes it feel very much like 'Persona 5 Royal engine with a different setting', which is fine but I dunno, one of the neat parts of each Persona game is how different it felt from the other games.

I think I'm just being a grumpy old person, I'm sure I'll love it once I get into it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't know why it took me until today to learn that Rise's 'Moronji' was actually 'Bakanji' in Japanese, which is a much cleverer insult.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i can think of another insult that replaces the kan in kanji but i dont think Rise has the Australian pass

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
'Kanjidiot' :)

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
how come nobody calls him Yosucker

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

yeah. mc had a bit of flair to his, femc just did it, yukari seemed hesitant about it, junpei didnt even seem to get the imagery, akihiko and mitsuru's were both confident, ken's looked like he had to psych himself up about it, and shinji's was laidback. it was neat.

and i think chidori actually kissed the barrel of hers?

Chidori does a little prayer motion, then puts it under her chin.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's very technically a new Persona 3 Reload trailer, but I'm qualifying that statement because it leaked or something like two months ago, lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoQ_B-rW5ps

The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because the lines at the beginning are from Yukari's dad, IIRC, and they're clearly voiced by Yuri Lowenthal here, which is lol

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That's this month's full moon update then? :laffo:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

New Japanese P5T trailer.

Watch til the end for DLC info.

Kale
May 14, 2010

anakha posted:

New Japanese P5T trailer.

Watch til the end for DLC info.

The just absolute lack of interest in this game whatsoever is pretty staggering still. I still don't really know if it's just the simplified art style, the fact that it's a tactical game which a lot of people just seem to reject or just general Persona 5 fatigue. I'm kind of waiting on a possible demo before I pass much judgement on it, but I get the sense Atlus is going to be really disappointed with the results of this one the way it just seems to have generated barely any interest. Even Persona 3 Reload seems to have more people interested and that's a remake of a PS2 game.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The new P3 remake is aided by the fact that they lazily shat out a version with terrible audio and graphics quality, so people want a version that's playable on modern hardware that isn't garbage.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm excited for P5T but I actively avoid prerelease info, so I won't have opinions on it until it's out. It's got the Phantom Thieves in it and has music by Lyn, that's all I need to know.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

I think a part of that is Persona 5 brought in a ton of new fans that haven't played P3 or P4, so there's a lot more excitement for a 'new' cast and standard Persona game than a different styled tactics game.

Also people fuckin love Persona 3

Prowler
May 24, 2004

There are also dozens of folks who only played 4 and 5 due to the rereleases and didn't bother playing the 3P port for several reasons (among those, rumors of a modern remake in the works). People aren't going to be as excited for a seemingly low budget spin-off game with a different art style and genre.

I'm one of those people, and I'm someone who bought a GBA and a PSP for Tactics Ogre.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I played the P3P port and am not interested in any remake until it contains FeMC. Which is fine, I'm not in the target audience and they did release the port for people like me, so it's not like I can complain.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes, you can

You can easily complain

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Today I was thinking about how Persona 2 let you fight/kill nazis. That was neat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, today I thought about Kouzeon for the first time in a while. What a hilarious Persona design.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Prowler posted:

There are also dozens of folks who only played 4 and 5 due to the rereleases and didn't bother playing the 3P port for several reasons (among those, rumors of a modern remake in the works). People aren't going to be as excited for a seemingly low budget spin-off game with a different art style and genre.

I'm one of those people, and I'm someone who bought a GBA and a PSP for Tactics Ogre.

I guess I was one of those people to notice the Persona series around the time FES came out. That's the version I ultimately ended up playing though I actually had to start over twice due to making way too many mistakes the first playthrough and then losing my PS2 shortly after the restart. Ended up finishing it on the emulated version for PS3 with the sometimes glitchy flickering effects.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I played the P3P port and am not interested in any remake until it contains FeMC. Which is fine, I'm not in the target audience and they did release the port for people like me, so it's not like I can complain.

The way they do Persona 3 updates kind of reminds me of how Square Enix has handled FFIV-VI releases where despite all the additional content in the GBA versions of the games it's like the current management of the company is unaware that they even existed and we just get kept getting the most basic ports of the SNES version after that up until the Pixel remaster versions where despite not containing those parts either at least they did something different with those other than just a straight port. Persona 3 Reload looks like it's going to be quite a bit more polished than those were though. I guess you can basically just see The Answer as non-canonize at this point. I don't think Metis has ever been acknowledged in any other games since anyway.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 5, 2023

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Nearly everyone I know who played P5 has only played that and no other persona or SMT game, so the 3 remake will be good for me to at least entice them to play my favorite persona. People just really love P5.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Kale posted:

I guess you can basically just see The Answer as non-canonize at this point. I don't think Metis has ever been acknowledged in any other games since anyway.

Metis specifically hasn't come up, but P4 Arena shows Erebus on-screen and establishes that Aigis knows Elizabeth, which only happens in The Answer, so unless they de-canonize P4A, then The Answer is still canon.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Answer is very explicitly canon. Insane to suggest otherwise.

Metis hasn't come up because Aigis accepted her back into herself at the end of it. That's the whole thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Anyway, today I thought about Kouzeon for the first time in a while. What a hilarious Persona design.

Kamui is funnier to me. Why did it shove its missile up his butt on evolution?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kamui is funnier to me. Why did it shove its missile up his butt on evolution?

'if I can't score with anyone, might as well score with myself' - Teddie :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The music track is labeled "I'll gently caress Myself" afterall

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm currently playing through P3P as FemC and all I can say is thank gently caress you can change the difficulty level and experience gained, the combat in P3 is such a godawful slog and by far the worst thing about the game. I'm loving just breezing effortlessly through so I can get back to what I am truly passionate about with this series, which is Persona fusing, listening to the music and doing social links.

I'm psyched for P3R; I'm looking forward to seeing this story with a bit more oomph and hopefully some less cringy voice acting, and I can't wait to hear the new soundtrack.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something seems vaguely "off" about the clips I've seen from P3 Reload. The best way I can describe it is that it's like if someone did a very good job of imitating the "modern Persona game style." Like it's high quality, but somehow uninspired and rougher around the edges than the absurd polish to the styles from P4/P5? Hard to explain.

Arist posted:

Upon looking at it again, I get what they're going for, they're trying to replicate P5's mask ripping by having the character raise the Evoker to their head when you enter the skill menu. But it's a bad choice, I think, because it means you don't actually get to see the whole animation of the character raising the Evoker to their head and firing. You only see them firing it, and since the camera cuts directly into it, it lacks impact. It's a shame because those Evoker animations had a lot of character.

Also the animation itself just isn't dramatic enough, imo. Needs more oomph.

This is a good example of what I mean - like they were directly trying to "create something similar to past Persona games"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I speculated after that post that the reason behind it was likely to speed up the pace of battle since it can half an eternity to fight a trash battle in P3, but they're kind of hitting the worst of both worlds with those changes because not only have they siphoned out the fun, characterful animations, but the new animations aren't actually that much faster.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I did pick up the different evoker animations in P3P in a way that I didn't really when I played through P3FES for the first time. As has been said previously in the thread, they're a really good indicator of each character's headspace.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1688598698048077832?t=v2whqVmbKrv8v5Zj6HlEVw&s=19

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
it should come with this soundclip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHaObtZ8sU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A: they left off Futaba
B: which is funny because they put Sumi and Akechi on there
C: P5 in general is an incredibly cat-person game between Morgana and Ann, this feels poorly targeted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pawsonify?

Edit: whip 'em, Pawsona

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So Makami?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair