Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
You can also spend too much time in the upper temp ranges if you're like me and neglected to check the coolant level from the prior owner and spent a year riding with the reservoir tank dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

how do i tell if my aircooled bike is getting too hot? so far i've just kinda been going off how hot I feel. i figure if I'm not getting enough airflow to stay cool, the explosions arent either

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

how do i tell if my aircooled bike is getting too hot? so far i've just kinda been going off how hot I feel. i figure if I'm not getting enough airflow to stay cool, the explosions arent either

In general it will start running like crap, trying to stall, etc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in my experience the first sign will be that the idle rises by a few hundred rpm, as the fuel comes in preheated and burns more completely. this isn't yet strictly overheating, but getting near the top of the safe range.

after that it will start running poorly and wanting to stall at stoplights and stuff yeah. you'll also maybe smell an indescribable but characteristic difference in the exhaust, or detect a hot metal smell coming off the engine. and you'll feel waves of heat coming off the motor in a way that isn't normal. just stuff you have to learn with experience i guess.

extreme overheating will be announced by pinging or clicking from the engine top end, which means pull over and stop immediately lest you blow a hole in a piston.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It's been nearly a year since I first passed the MSF and picked up a Z400. The reason I decided to get a license in the first place was because cars are now so loving expensive, especially the used market which at the time was out of control

SINCE THEN, I can't believe how far I've come. I was in the canyons yesterday in NorCal, and a flow state just took over. I used to be extremely nervous and scared of twisty roads until instinctually, the leans just felt incredibly natural and the familiar feeling of anxiety was replaced with "holy poo poo, I'm really doing it". The whole thing is so addicting, especially once I got used to upper body leaning and trail braking. Still have so much more to learn though...

What I thought would be a fun skillset to obtain before the car markets cool down again now has me looking up track schools to really start exploring advance techniques. Thanks thread for all the good advice in here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cars are awful and evil, you've seen the light

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Cars are awful and evil, you've seen the light

car propaganda is real, can't believe it took me this long to figure out that a clapped out ninja 400 with an aftermarket slip on is infinitely more fun to scoot around in than your average 80K+ german car

I also ended up selling my Z400 for a BMW F900R as I now daily (ride?) to work and wanted something with a bit more power for highways, love it so much. Definitely on the heavier side, but so so so planted and confidence inspiring

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
It’s true, I can’t even explain how much I feel my newbie journey has been improved by this thread.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah this thread is great and it has helped me a lot too.

And yes cars are a plague upon humanity on the whole.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I dropped the bike today, first time since I got my licence. Just being dumb mainly, but there were lots of contributing factors, two of them being soft ground and loaded panniers. These two saved me from any damage, so I'm really grateful for that - l'm at the furthest end of a week long moto camping trip in Norway, and having to deal with a broken anything including myself would suck extra hard at this time. Magical riding when it isn't raining in this country. Just silly how good the riding was today, I don't have the words to describe it. Pictures don't do it justice neither.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

how do i keep my summer riding gear from smelling like a bum's nutsack

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wash it frequently, and something like this in between washings: https://a.co/d/aDx1YMe

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Is this stinking thing more of a textile problem? I've been sweating into the same leather jacket for 8 years with nothing but an annual oiling, and it still smells as good as the Fonz's nutsack.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I haven't washed my textiles since I got them in summer 2021 but I do air them out generously between uses and they don't smell bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. My textiles never stink. It’s only my helmet that gets gross from sweat in the summer

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dk2m posted:

What I thought would be a fun skillset to obtain before the car markets cool down again now has me looking up track schools to really start exploring advance techniques. Thanks thread for all the good advice in here.

Do this for sure, but also know you can go ride at the track "on your own" for a fraction of the price and still learn a lot if you have the right approach. These are the providers in the area

Z2 Track Days
Fun Track Dayz
Carters@theTrack
Pacific Track Time

I haven't ridden with PTT, but they have a good reputation from what I've seen. There is "Yamaha R World" at Sonoma on August 15. It's "only" $200 (half of what it normally costs) and there will be a load of Yamahas there you can demo, if you're so inclined. Anyway feel free to PM me if you're interested in any track stuff in NorCal. I know it can be kind of intimidating if you've never gone before.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thanks for the tips. it's primarily my gloves that seem to get a weird feet smell, jacket and pants have been fine. i'll try a disinfectant spray. it probably has something to do with the gloves not ventilating. are ventilated gloves a thing

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have mesh gloves that breath pretty well, haven’t had them long enough to see if they develop a smell yet.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Signed up for the Total Control's Intermediate class on the 11th. Hoping it won't be warmer than 85 out.

I was just going to jump into the advanced class, but I'm guessing the local spot has stopped running that one for the year.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
First clip, really sad this person was allowed to buy a shiny new red bike without having target fixation drilled into them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Bk92nBKaI

(sorry, don't know an easy way to extract just that clip from the rest of the nonsense)

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I nearly did the same thing on my first trip out of the driveway after getting my license, but at least had the sense to stop and back up before plowing into/over the curb.

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
Finally got my full class motorbike license (nz). Yes. Think i might buy a panigale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And a gopro, dont forget. If you've got Panigale money, youve got GoPro money

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Get With the times old timer, all pro v bloggers use insta 360 x3 cams now. Invisible mount stick cams so you can see from all angles when you target fixate in the most mellow corner into a ditch with your 20k usd bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The insta 360 is an excellent tool for pausing the video and putting in big red arrows pointing to the totally irrelevant poo poo you blame for your crash

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Furious George posted:

First clip, really sad this person was allowed to buy a shiny new red bike without having target fixation drilled into them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Bk92nBKaI

(sorry, don't know an easy way to extract just that clip from the rest of the nonsense)
my thoughts and prayers for the E30 owner

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the trend in the last five years of people building literbikes into off-road monstrosities is one of my favorite things to ogle from a distance. beautiful maniacs putting their insanity to action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSd6eJ7iNSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXThiGlUN8o

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the other trend, of chopping old dirtbikes into hardtailed, suicide clutched cruisers is probably more my speed, if only because that speed is <45mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChxZBKmb-jA

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 5, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the trend in the last five years of people building literbikes into off-road monstrosities is one of my favorite things to ogle from a distance. beautiful maniacs putting their insanity to action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSd6eJ7iNSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXThiGlUN8o

There’s also the Swedish (I think?) guys who turned a GSXR1000 into a snow bike, fell through the ice of a frozen lake, recovered the bike after it sat at the bottom of the lake for hours, and immediately fired it up only to have it run perfectly.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

There’s also the Swedish (I think?) guys who turned a GSXR1000 into a snow bike, fell through the ice of a frozen lake, recovered the bike after it sat at the bottom of the lake for hours, and immediately fired it up only to have it run perfectly.

Believe it or not this is part of Suzuki’s QA process

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Do this for sure, but also know you can go ride at the track "on your own" for a fraction of the price and still learn a lot if you have the right approach. These are the providers in the area

Z2 Track Days
Fun Track Dayz
Carters@theTrack
Pacific Track Time

I haven't ridden with PTT, but they have a good reputation from what I've seen. There is "Yamaha R World" at Sonoma on August 15. It's "only" $200 (half of what it normally costs) and there will be a load of Yamahas there you can demo, if you're so inclined. Anyway feel free to PM me if you're interested in any track stuff in NorCal. I know it can be kind of intimidating if you've never gone before.

This is awesome - thank you so much for the tips!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

Z2 Track Days
Fun Track Dayz
Carters@theTrack
Pacific Track Time

I'm doing R World at NJMP in a few weeks, looking forward to it. Only $99 out here too.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
The used market suuucks around here and I'm probably going to have to travel quite far to find something used for a reasonable price. :smith:

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I have become very comfortable on the bike lately. I still get nervous every time I get on, which is probably a good thing, but I've been much more comfortable with maneuvering and riding around. I found myself splitting at like 40 mph and not realizing I broke my "no splitting above 20mph because I'm a newbie" rule. I'm mostly posting about it here to remind myself that the confidence is unearned on account of how new I still am. I need to remind myself that even though I feel comfortable I'm not an expert yet.

I have been reading Proficient Motorcycling though, pretty good so far.

Things that are really fun about riding:

* When you see other riders you give each other the peace sign.
* Even on my little 300 acceleration is fun, engine go brr. Can't imagine what it feels like on the big boys.
* Wobbling back and forth (don't worry only small wobbles and I only do it when no cars are around.)
* When you go over a bump your rear end comes off the seat.
* I have not yet spent more than $15 for gas.
* Turning

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Korean Boomhauer posted:

The used market suuucks around here and I'm probably going to have to travel quite far to find something used for a reasonable price. :smith:

:unsmith: On the bright side, once you do get a fair price and take care of it you might be able to resell it in a few years for close to what you paid for it.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

:unsmith: On the bright side, once you do get a fair price and take care of it you might be able to resell it in a few years for close to what you paid for it.

lol thats actually a good point :unsmith:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
It has been almost two years to the day that I wrote out how bad I am at chain maintenance and got a very detailed reply from Slavvy about how not to suck at it. Every time I forget to check his advice and a ten minute job turns in to two hours, which probably out of alignment even if the tension is right. Don't be a forever newbie like me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think the fortnine video about chain maintenance is so good. It's the right mix of what works, amount of effort etc.

Honestly cleaning it once per year, spraying with WD 40 and then lubing with gear oil has given me lots of trouble free miles with a dirt bike chain to boot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All chain lubing stuff is an exercise in reconciling which compromise position you find acceptable on a triangle. The three points of the triangle are economy of effort, lubrication + protection, appearance. The more you move towards one, the more you sacrifice the other two.

Mainstream aerosol lube is inferior to just slathering it in gear oil but it's lower effort and leaves you with a less filthy bike so it's a healthy middle ground.

Slathering it in gear oil is mechanically optimal but it sucks to do and looks like poo poo. Scott oilers and stuff are basically doing the latter but with drastically reduced effort which is why they're popular with people doing huge miles and/or seniors.

Doing literally nothing is the lowest effort but leaves you with an awful looking bike and a rapidly hosed chain.

Everyone finds their own place.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Everyone finds their own place.

And that's routing the half baked ktm pcv system through a 80s honda xr600l oil separator working like a pitot tube like contraption that barfs oil that isn't returned to the crankcase onto the chain at the front sprocket.