Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

My tingoose experience is that I'm really struggling to merge them, I have so many bits the babies slide along but very rarely get anything to slow them down or bounce them back up. Not sure if I'm just too dumb to use my endless stream of conveyor belts correctly or what but I feel like the targets for each level are increasing significantly and my income just isn't. I've never seen a baby beyond the third tier and I've only had one setup capable of doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deformed Church posted:

My tingoose experience is that I'm really struggling to merge them, I have so many bits the babies slide along but very rarely get anything to slow them down or bounce them back up. Not sure if I'm just too dumb to use my endless stream of conveyor belts correctly or what but I feel like the targets for each level are increasing significantly and my income just isn't. I've never seen a baby beyond the third tier and I've only had one setup capable of doing that.

Not sure what level you're on but I wasn't able to get high level merges until the goose neck gets longer and there's more room for sprouts which means more things to bounce Tingii around with. For me the first 3-4 rebirths were sorta like you're describing where I could get some merging going on but nothing real advanced. It all started to click for me 6-7 levels in, I think the one with really strong crosswinds was the first one where I was able to get level 4 merges and even up to level 2 on the blue babies that come out of the red chambers. Now that I've super ascended and gone back to level 1 I'm sorta going through the same thing again. Sometimes though it really is all about just moving *everything* you have around and going for a completely different strategy that gets you there.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm on 6 (almost done, only a few metres to go) so maybe I'm juuuust shy of some better stuff, never seen a red tube so hopefully that's something to look forward to. Right now I feel like there's plenty of neck, it's just all conveyor belts and tiny stuff they kind of just brush on the eay down. I hope the final release is a bit more generous, even the good tools I've unlocked just don't seem to be appearing much.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

something weird happened to my goose and now my test tube blossom is releasing tingi after catching 2 of them instead of 3, and its really messing up my income...

:(

also, as far as merging goes, the higher level geese unlock different blossoms that behave differently too, which helps a lot

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
test tubes seem to act really weird for me. if i get 3 base tingii in one they merge into a heart and drop out the bottom fine. if i have a second test tube and merge the hearts into ...the ice cream sundae?? the resulting merge stays in the tube until there's the ice cream thing and 2 hearts, then just dumps its contents meaning i miss out on another merge of hearts

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

i think that's because the sundae is really light (i've noticed different tingi get different levels of height from being knocked around or whatever) so when it merges, it "jumps" up a little and gets caught by the test tube again

im actually trying to put 3 sundaes into my test tube, which worked fine yesterday??? but mysteriously not today???

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
oh my god it's lighter because it's balloons

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Simple icecream setup

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think this is the first idle game I've seen where it's not only the descriptions, but also the screenshots that look like schizophrenic fantasies
Hats off to the dev

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Anything good come out or updated recently that's not phone based? Need something new to diddle around with and I keep bouncing off FAPI (mostly because it absolutely refuses to save my progress).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Anything good come out or updated recently that's not phone based? Need something new to diddle around with and I keep bouncing off FAPI (mostly because it absolutely refuses to save my progress).

This one's kinda neat, it has some puzzle elements so don't go clicking like a maniac or you'll use up all your oxygen:
https://semenar.itch.io/lost-in-space

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

two quick QoL things on that one - it matters where on a sun you click, and you want to actually click the flashlight

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also don't feel bad if you get crunched on oxygen; there is a prestige mechanic based on your progress.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Deformed Church posted:

I'm on 6 (almost done, only a few metres to go) so maybe I'm juuuust shy of some better stuff, never seen a red tube so hopefully that's something to look forward to. Right now I feel like there's plenty of neck, it's just all conveyor belts and tiny stuff they kind of just brush on the eay down. I hope the final release is a bit more generous, even the good tools I've unlocked just don't seem to be appearing much.

This feels like me. My progress really slowed on the 6th one with the crosswinds because they would keep switching sides and I would have to rip everything up. Eventually I got some good merges going and could get the blue baby out. Right now I'm on 7 with the removal body parts (but actually I've kept most of them because they're bounce fodder) but I'm struggling to get anything past a heart merge. I do have two test tube combiners lined up which is nice, but I don't have the money to remove the kidneys so I can actually lineup. Maybe I need to buy more from the oven or be more aggressive in my rerolls in order to set up more merges.

If people have some more simple/unconventional merge combos like those two overlapping stairs from the past page and the above sunday merge, I'd appreciate any advice! I feel sooo far away from ultra ascend.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This may sound obvious but a Tingus strategy that seems to be working well for me now that I'm consciously doing it is to try and tightly pack anything that bounces them upward and preferably back and forth. The simple goose neck flipper thing is good for this, the drum, the single jumping guy all work. You just want to get as many of them juggling and passing over one another and eventually things just start merging because there's enough of them in play. Slow down their descent while popping them upward to cross over tingii on their way down through the same path. This is not always the easiest depending on how unlucky you were with draws and you will have to reorganize as your goose gets longer but something to keep in mind!

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017
It didn't seem like I was going to get through generation 7, so I moved all the golden egg butts to the top so I could maximize egg income and get to ultra ascend sooner. It seems like cooking 100 eggs every 6h is mostly bad at the start because it keeps you away from ultra ascend.

But I've also had population problems since the golden eggs don't merge, so it can reduce your cash income to have them up too high. Cause they spend a long time bouncing their way down, holding up population slots.

Re: ultra ascend - do we know if you lose the fried egg income bonus if you spend them? Games have generally moved past that but Tingus instruction text is pretty sparse.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Tried Vacuum Warrior for a few hours but it does that thing where you're 100% active and idling is way worse and any sort of automation has to be farmed for every time you reset. No thank you.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
yeha it struck me as a worse leaf blower revolution and the reviews mirrored that so I didn't even download it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm back on my Evolve bullshit again. I want to ascend but I know I need so, so much more mastery and crspr upgrades before it's feasible. I also don't want to wait around for 4 star cheevos so I'm cruising really well doing 3 stars.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

MattDarling posted:

It didn't seem like I was going to get through generation 7, so I moved all the golden egg butts to the top so I could maximize egg income and get to ultra ascend sooner. It seems like cooking 100 eggs every 6h is mostly bad at the start because it keeps you away from ultra ascend.

But I've also had population problems since the golden eggs don't merge, so it can reduce your cash income to have them up too high. Cause they spend a long time bouncing their way down, holding up population slots.

Re: ultra ascend - do we know if you lose the fried egg income bonus if you spend them? Games have generally moved past that but Tingus instruction text is pretty sparse.

I didn't see the bonus itself but there's a stat for total fried eggs next to your other bonuses on the patient sheet; so probably?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

MattDarling posted:

It seems like cooking 100 eggs every 6h is mostly bad at the start because it keeps you away from ultra ascend.

This probably explains why I feel like I haven't sniffed Ultra Ascend at all.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This one's kinda neat, it has some puzzle elements so don't go clicking like a maniac or you'll use up all your oxygen:

I really liked this one! I enjoy an idle game that's only about a day long, otherwise I end up wasting too much time on them.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I really liked this one! I enjoy an idle game that's only about a day long, otherwise I end up wasting too much time on them.

I want to echo this, short idle games like this one that explore a main idea/gimmick and finish up are :discourse:

Not that there isn't room for long-term games of course, but there's a lot to explore in the design space of idle games and these small games can help quickly find what mechanics can be fun (unlocking rooms with minigames using inventory items!) and what aren't.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I dunno about this CIFI game, I've been at it for about 2 weeks and don't really feel like I'm making significant progress. I've unlocked mk5 gens but it feels like I'm just doing loops unlocking insignificant upgrades that aren't doing much.

Is there a trick to this or do I seriously need to use this overly complicated spreadsheet?

I wish I could just play spaceplan for the first time again, I miss simple fun clickers

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shredder posted:

I dunno about this CIFI game, I've been at it for about 2 weeks and don't really feel like I'm making significant progress. I've unlocked mk5 gens but it feels like I'm just doing loops unlocking insignificant upgrades that aren't doing much.

Is there a trick to this or do I seriously need to use this overly complicated spreadsheet?

Being at Mk5 is about right when it comes to gens at that timeframe. What ships have you unlocked, are you at Demeter yet?

Basically the gameplay loop after beginning is doing a long run to push for levels/achievements/shards/research/etc followed by fast loop resets for mod points while not trying to reset too much so you don't get stuck at too big loop requirement. When fast runs don't yield much, do a long (days, possibly weeks at late game, I'm personally not there yet) run, and when progress on that starts to slow down, switch to fast ones. Spend your level points at 1:2:2 ratio.

There's a trick about farming mod points once you have Hephaestus; as mod point buffs aren't retroactive, you want as much of them open before you start to run loops. So once you can get the Hephy augment on right for mod points, get as many points in it as is reasonable without wasting too much time, and then open Zagreus so all your loops get the buff from it. I think all the ships after Zag have mod skills that can be used this way, so it's a core part of the game so to speak.

Spreadsheets can definitely help, especially when it comes to spending your tokens and diamonds, and what I've noticed is that people have hard time evaluating good loop mods, so taking a bit of time to set them up can help you to get started and you can abandon it once you've got a sense of what's good at what price and what's not. Anything that goes up from mk1+mk2 duo is great, just as everything that goes down from the start. There's a lot going on in game, so it's hard to give specific advice without knowing the point you're at. Tokens and diamonds also make a massive difference, so two people can have very different experiences depending how active they are clicking those chests.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Spaceplan is still on of my favorites

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Sayara posted:

Being at Mk5 is about right when it comes to gens at that timeframe. What ships have you unlocked, are you at Demeter yet?

Basically the gameplay loop after beginning is doing a long run to push for levels/achievements/shards/research/etc followed by fast loop resets for mod points while not trying to reset too much so you don't get stuck at too big loop requirement. When fast runs don't yield much, do a long (days, possibly weeks at late game, I'm personally not there yet) run, and when progress on that starts to slow down, switch to fast ones. Spend your level points at 1:2:2 ratio.

There's a trick about farming mod points once you have Hephaestus; as mod point buffs aren't retroactive, you want as much of them open before you start to run loops. So once you can get the Hephy augment on right for mod points, get as many points in it as is reasonable without wasting too much time, and then open Zagreus so all your loops get the buff from it. I think all the ships after Zag have mod skills that can be used this way, so it's a core part of the game so to speak.

Spreadsheets can definitely help, especially when it comes to spending your tokens and diamonds, and what I've noticed is that people have hard time evaluating good loop mods, so taking a bit of time to set them up can help you to get started and you can abandon it once you've got a sense of what's good at what price and what's not. Anything that goes up from mk1+mk2 duo is great, just as everything that goes down from the start. There's a lot going on in game, so it's hard to give specific advice without knowing the point you're at. Tokens and diamonds also make a massive difference, so two people can have very different experiences depending how active they are clicking those chests.

I'm topping out at about e62 for currency, demeter is at e75. I've been spending the coins equally, diamonds I had enough to buy the ceti card and I'm saving up for the fenix card, I figure those are the best uses?

Maybe this just isn't the one for me.

Here's my tech tree: https://imgur.com/a/4x09BsY

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Shredder posted:

I wish I could just play spaceplan for the first time again, I miss simple fun clickers

I don't bother with the spreadsheets anymore, I just keep an idea of what ratio I want on the various resources and go from there. Looking at my in-game stats, it was about 2 weeks from start to unlocking Mk5 generators, then about a month and a half to Mk6. And it was honestly an annoying slog for that whole time, and up until I finally unlocked the Koios not long ago, around which point all of my resources started shooting up and the game was actually fun again. I think it was when I finally broke into the sextillions of mod points, where every two or three days I could move up another 3 OoMs of mod points and I went from 1 sextillion to 1 decillion in two weeks or so.

There is definitely a slog between Mk5 and Koios, though. One tip I had been ignoring and really helped: The number of loops to do a loop reset growth is really overblown, don't be afraid to do a few 20-30 minute resets every now and then to get a bunch of mod points. I like to take some time every weekend to do it, then usually 1 day loops the rest of the time, with a 2-3 day loop every couple weeks to really push some of the long term goals. But the game really is a slow burn of number going up-ness.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Factory Town Idle on steam is super great, and pretty new. You manage a little town, and unlock other towns, and there's trading between the towns. You can automate basically everything if you want, or you can micromanage everything, or anywhere between. I played through using both methods and the micromanagement was fun and challenging enough to make it a real game. 10/10 idle game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BigHead posted:

Factory Town Idle on steam is super great, and pretty new. You manage a little town, and unlock other towns, and there's trading between the towns. You can automate basically everything if you want, or you can micromanage everything, or anywhere between. I played through using both methods and the micromanagement was fun and challenging enough to make it a real game. 10/10 idle game.

It's amusing to me that they took that cool world simulation game and turned it into an idle game. It makes perfect sense, and that's an easy $4 spent.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

tango alpha delta posted:

Spaceplan is still on of my favorites

The ending!

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really wanted to like this one, interesting theming and a good mix of puzzles for opening the doors, but the core energy-refill -> printing gameplay loop was just too grindy to feel worth it, esp when the limited-oxygen mechanic disincentivizes getting any upgrades that are time-based rather than click-based (or too many upgrades in general). I fell off around the time I got into the battery room and realized only too late that connecting rooms to the power grid costs way too much oxy for almost no return at that stage of the game :/

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I found it was pretty easy to not run out of oxygen as long as you make it your first priority to get the autocraft upgrade, and then get the oxygen capacity upgrades for your suit.

Finished the game with three spare tanks even with pretty inefficient refill timing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, as long as you get to the suit upgrading room fairly quickly you don't have much to worry about. I finished with 2 tanks remaining and 50% oxygen, and I never actually interacted with anything in the oxygen room, it just wasn't necessary.

Also a tip, in case anybody missed this like I did: upgrading your max oxygen capacity also upgrades how much oxygen tanks heal you for, because they always restore 50%.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shredder posted:

I'm topping out at about e62 for currency, demeter is at e75. I've been spending the coins equally, diamonds I had enough to buy the ceti card and I'm saving up for the fenix card, I figure those are the best uses?

Maybe this just isn't the one for me.

Here's my tech tree: https://imgur.com/a/4x09BsY

Ceti isn't the worst card, and neither is Fenix as they both have mod points, but in the long run you want to max token boosts with diamonds first. From token shop you want tokens and diamonds. After those with diamonds it's probably best to get ~15 points to pure mod points boost, as that's quite cheap compared to what you can get with cards, like 300 diamonds for 7% while Fenix costs 5 times as much for same boost. There will be better cards later on (e.g. Juno at Demeter for 2.5k, Typhon and Sigma at Koios for 4k), and eventually all are needed so it's not like they're completely waste, but early on they're kind of traps where I went as well and bought whole top row before knowing any better. In token shop after maxing tokens and diamonds, have the mod points boost cost ~20 times as much as your generators, and keep generator costs equal. If you're active time skip is good.

Your tech tree looks fine. I don't remember if you can get Accumulative level growth alpha before demeter, but that's probably only big one before that. If/when you get to Demeter you want to stay there for a while. I stayed until I got 5x mod points gain from shards, but now I'd cut it a bit shorter, maybe 4-4.5x. Game clicked for me, but it's not for everyone, and the part where you are was probably the worst part of the game. Some people hate Demeter even more, but I liked it. Then again I got through it in two weeks, and others have taken months in it so ymmv.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I did the game, hooray for short games.

I liked it overall, but some gripes:
  • auugh tabs tabs. I spend all my time in games like this switching between tabs trying to remember what the next good upgrade is. Maybe things would work better if I took notes.
  • Is there any way to switch auto printing from one thing to the other without turning 'auto' off on the first, waiting for it to finish printing a thing, then pressing 'print' on the second?
  • The oxygen room is hella useless unless you've fully screwed yourself out of tanks and really have to eke out every bit that's left. But in that case it takes so long to do its work you may as well restart and manage the tanks better.
  • I only died once, early on, which taught me to be careful with O2. Very glad I only had to do that sudoku puzzle once

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i saw the big suduko and immediately googled a suduko solver lol

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It was a super straightforward one! I liked that puzzle. The water moving one was the one I hated.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah that's dumb as hell. why can't you reuse pipes!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I really loved lost in space right until the oxygen room puzzle, having to assemble half a million beacons (I guess) with barely any upgrades because you can't really afford them was way too much busywork for my liking. I'll ride it out and hope I keep some of my stuff on prestige or whatever, but if it's just 20% less oxygen consumption I'm out.