Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kineticist is cool and good and I have theorycrafted 4 already and am excited to build more. Haven't played one yet but I will soon.

Kineticist dedication, meanwhile, seems...not great in a non-FA game. If you take it you're basically dedicating at least 5 class feats to keep your elemental blast up to par and you still never get higher than expert. Elemental barbarian seems fine but it's big gimmick is being able to pair with kineticist for a ranged option which is nice but I'm not sure if 6 feats is worth having an expert-level ranged option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Kineticist archetypes for blasts is extremely bad, but for access to impulses it’s pretty great; take a stance or some non overflow impulses to have a no MAP ranged damage option or a cool aura to work with.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Hellioning posted:

Kineticist is cool and good and I have theorycrafted 4 already and am excited to build more. Haven't played one yet but I will soon.

Kineticist dedication, meanwhile, seems...not great in a non-FA game. If you take it you're basically dedicating at least 5 class feats to keep your elemental blast up to par and you still never get higher than expert. Elemental barbarian seems fine but it's big gimmick is being able to pair with kineticist for a ranged option which is nice but I'm not sure if 6 feats is worth having an expert-level ranged option.

You don't advance past expert, so multiclassing for a blast seems like a terrible idea when a bunch of cool utility that scales with your level is right there, available instead.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Is one of the new classes gonna be a psionic thing? Have they finally given up that grudge?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

New Humble Bundle that has more than 20 books worth of stuff in Hero Lab. I find this tool to be a little better than Pathbuilder for PFS related things and for actually playing your character at the table with a digital interactive sheet

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/wolflair-heros-lab-software-bundle-software

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Hero Lab has some neat functionality and the company has some pretty dedicated people, but they have the long-running problem that their official communication with users is usually completely nonexistent and they never do anything to keep people updated about what they're actually working on.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Give me a 4e warlord and a Tome of Battle/Path of War martial you cowards

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
They already have a warlord-esque archetype! It’s been around since the APG!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
A Tome of Battle/Path of War martial would probably be a martial with a set Focus Point spells to replicate special maneuvers. You will end up mechanically fairly similar to the Magus doing that. If you want more at will martial moves, that's basically the Fighter.

What would be the critical aspect of a ToB/PoW martial for you?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

Is one of the new classes gonna be a psionic thing? Have they finally given up that grudge?

They already have a Psychic class. Though I could imagine some kind of occult counterpart to the Magus.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 4, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

They already have a Psychic class. Though I could imagine some kind of occult counterpart to the Magus.

Yeah, but that’s pretty different from a 3.5 style psion with a power pool. Maybe they’ll flavor or call it something different, but it’s something they haven’t really done yet

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

sugar free jazz posted:

Yeah, but that’s pretty different from a 3.5 style psion with a power pool. Maybe they’ll flavor or call it something different, but it’s something they haven’t really done yet

Aren't original psionic implementations pretty core to D&D, and risk running afoul of OGL?

That said, power pool psions are pretty against PF2 design ethos, so it'd have to be completely different to make it in.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Cyouni posted:

Aren't original psionic implementations pretty core to D&D, and risk running afoul of OGL?

Yeah, but you can't copyright raw mechanics. They could make a class that uses a point system with different flavor, like how the Kineticist mechanically is very similar to the 3.5 Warlock but the flavor is different enough to never be sued.

(I agree with Cyouni that power point-based spellcasting is probably more trouble than it's worth for PF 2e design, but it could happen.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, 3e-style Psionics is both very OGL and allows for a more “nova” playstyle than PF2 tends to allow. And I’m not sure what the point of including it would be, aside from making the game more like D&D and allowing “nova” play.

Edit: Interesting point about reflavoring it, though. A power point system for a divine spellcaster (representing a concept more like a Favored Soul than a Psion) or an arcane spellcaster (representing a more extreme version of the logic behind the Spell Blending Arcane Thesis) would make sense if they wanted to include a point-based caster for some reason.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 4, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Make it a martial or some poo poo, pool of flexing points and u can pull a muscle if u fail ur concentration check. Lotta ways to make it work. Bonus on the check if u oil up beforehand

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

sugar free jazz posted:

Make it a martial or some poo poo, pool of flexing points and u can pull a muscle if u fail ur concentration check. Lotta ways to make it work. Bonus on the check if u oil up beforehand

Flex Mentallo loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h48seVcgDlU

(watch Doom Patrol)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
aren't you just basically describing focus points

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

aren't you just basically describing focus points

Focus points can be regained between encounters. Psionic power points were daily.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

there were also up to about 400ish points max

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Arivia posted:

They already have a warlord-esque archetype! It’s been around since the APG!

The marshal archetype is only "warlord-esque" in a very loose sense, especially at lower levels; the more direct influence is 3e's marshal class. The marshal doesn't have any of the warlord's actual healing abilities, and their ability to use their own actions to have allies move or attack is very strictly limited. Some of their more support-oriented feats do map more directly onto warlord encounter powers, but that's about it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sugar free jazz posted:

there were also up to about 400ish points max

what the gently caress this sounds like a nightmare

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Just had a session 0 with my group, we're all gonna be playing PF2 for the first time, and I'm DMing for the first time. Going to do a homebrew adventure because I'm stupid, and I think we're going to go from 1-4 or so.

So far, my players are mostly decided on a Magus, Investigator, and some flavor of shapeshifting Druid. The soft suggestions I made to them were that it would be good to have at least one person who isn't afraid of being touched by a monster, and someone should really take the Medicine skill, and I think they have that covered.

I also presented them the option of bringing along a Mercenary hireling to have a 4th body in the party, which they voted yes on, and in spite of my best efforts to get them to choose for themselves, they left it up to me to decide what kind of mercenary would complement them. I made a very clear point of articulating that this character would be following their lead on everything, not insert themselves in any narrative stuff unless it would be weirder to ignore it, and require them to collectively issue basic "orders" for what the merc should do in combat while I handle the specific mechanics for them. I wanted to give them an option that might lessen the pressure on covering roles in a 3 player party while also being careful to not step in any of the infamous DMPC pitfalls.

If anyone has suggestions or general advice for how to cater to these specific classes or this specific composition, both in terms of scenario design and also item rewards to help them feel good about their characters, I would be glad to hear it. I would also appreciate any suggestion about what kind of hireling character would work well to sort of force-multiply the players and help them succeed more at the things they want to do-- from what I could extract from them they are probably hoping for some kind of support caster.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scoss posted:

Just had a session 0 with my group, we're all gonna be playing PF2 for the first time, and I'm DMing for the first time. Going to do a homebrew adventure because I'm stupid, and I think we're going to go from 1-4 or so.

So far, my players are mostly decided on a Magus, Investigator, and some flavor of shapeshifting Druid. The soft suggestions I made to them were that it would be good to have at least one person who isn't afraid of being touched by a monster, and someone should really take the Medicine skill, and I think they have that covered.

I also presented them the option of bringing along a Mercenary hireling to have a 4th body in the party, which they voted yes on, and in spite of my best efforts to get them to choose for themselves, they left it up to me to decide what kind of mercenary would complement them. I made a very clear point of articulating that this character would be following their lead on everything, not insert themselves in any narrative stuff unless it would be weirder to ignore it, and require them to collectively issue basic "orders" for what the merc should do in combat while I handle the specific mechanics for them. I wanted to give them an option that might lessen the pressure on covering roles in a 3 player party while also being careful to not step in any of the infamous DMPC pitfalls.

If anyone has suggestions or general advice for how to cater to these specific classes or this specific composition, both in terms of scenario design and also item rewards to help them feel good about their characters, I would be glad to hear it. I would also appreciate any suggestion about what kind of hireling character would work well to sort of force-multiply the players and help them succeed more at the things they want to do-- from what I could extract from them they are probably hoping for some kind of support caster.

A bard that inspires courage and just sustains it every turn while plinking with cantrips or a bow is probably the optimal merc for this; load him up with out of combat exploration or recovery oriented spells that they can simply demand the bars use (and provide them a list), and in combat, just put up that meaty +1 status bonus and call it a day.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Chevy Slyme posted:

A bard that inspires courage and just sustains it every turn while plinking with cantrips or a bow is probably the optimal merc for this; load him up with out of combat exploration or recovery oriented spells that they can simply demand the bars use (and provide them a list), and in combat, just put up that meaty +1 status bonus and call it a day.

And of course, said bard can be off to the side flirting with someone in most social scenes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Less complicated than vancian casting lol

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Sword and Board fighter can be incredibly simple to run for a GM. Grab Sudden Charge and round 1 just Raise a Shield and Sudden Charge. Take Intimidating Glare and training in Intimidate and they can then just either Demoralise + Strike + Raise a Shield every turn or even just Strike + Strike + Raise a Shield. Demoralise helps set up the rest of the crew.

Attack of Opportunity either locks mobs in place or gives them a free attack if they move off. Aggressive Block, Shielded Stride and Advanced Weapons are fine later pick ups, Aggressive Block lets you flat foot the guy in melee for the ranged to pick off, Shielded Stride lets you Raise and Shield and Sudden Charge with no worries and Advanced Weapons lets them get a Falcata as a weapon upgrade.

Simple to run, supports well, soaks up hits, party will love them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HidaO-Win posted:

Sword and Board fighter can be incredibly simple to run for a GM. Grab Sudden Charge and round 1 just Raise a Shield and Sudden Charge. Take Intimidating Glare and training in Intimidate and they can then just either Demoralise + Strike + Raise a Shield every turn or even just Strike + Strike + Raise a Shield. Demoralise helps set up the rest of the crew.

Attack of Opportunity either locks mobs in place or gives them a free attack if they move off. Aggressive Block, Shielded Stride and Advanced Weapons are fine later pick ups, Aggressive Block lets you flat foot the guy in melee for the ranged to pick off, Shielded Stride lets you Raise and Shield and Sudden Charge with no worries and Advanced Weapons lets them get a Falcata as a weapon upgrade.

Simple to run, supports well, soaks up hits, party will love them.

Yeah, this was my initial instinct before OP said the party kind of wanted a support caster.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
When I was GM'ing Abomination Vaults, I often had a situation where one of the players couldn't show up due to obligations.
I didn't really feel like scaling every encounter depending on the player count, so I came up with a dumb idea to keep the player count at four.
An eccentric Tian Xian Goblin scientist gave them a bunch of experimental gachapon balls with Palbots in them. Small automaton characters I made based on which person was missing.
During a session my players could just crack open a ball and command the little bot. Kinda like pokémon I guess! Except they expire at the end of the session :lmao:

That way I could still build and play characters as an ever DM while also showing my players all the cool stuff you could do in Pathfinder 2E.
My players grew really attached to them and were always looking forward to seeing what bot they would get this time if a player couldn't make it to the session :)

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The Palbot idea is pretty awesome, I'm going to use it for the game I'm about to GM for, we usually have at least one person missing a session. Did you give them limited abilities from the character or just use a copy of there sheet?

The only issue I could see with giving the party a fighter mercenary is that it might outclass them in lower levels because it's the only character that has AoO. I would try to convince them to switch between who controls the character each session because if he's just a tank/attack guy than it's pretty easy to control, but they get to feel like the person who does the awesome damage that session.

Edit: Plus, if you can get them to switch between the fighter, they can all see how much fun they are to play in this game.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 5, 2023

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

I exported the statsheet from pathbuilder, that was generally enough for them!
Once my players were more comfortable with the game system, I had them pilot the Palbots.
The bots I made did fill a similar role to what the players were missing, but with different kinds of builds to show what options you have in Pathfinder and how martials are really cool in this edition.
Like a twin weapon fighter with picks, a warpriest with just heals and magic weapon (to reduce the amount of choice the players needed to make), etc...

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Whenever somebody in our AV party can't show and we have an important encounter ahead our GM simply asks one of us to pilot two instead of one characters. It works alright even if Foundry permissions can be a bit clunky sometimes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah, getting people to pilot two people in combat is generally what we do. Or if it's exploration rather than encounters, sometimes splitting the party and dealing with what one group get up to versus what the other do when the others come back.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The best workaround we found for foundry permissions was just sharing passwords and having someone log into the missing person's account in another window. We had a lot of trouble with enabling and disabling permissions and doing it that way fixed things.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

boxen posted:

The best workaround we found for foundry permissions was just sharing passwords and having someone log into the missing person's account in another window. We had a lot of trouble with enabling and disabling permissions and doing it that way fixed things.

I've just configured ownership for the actor. Has that caused issues?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The Magic Sword's write-up for the remaster preview at gencon is up.

Some pretty neat changes here IMO. I really like the new Reposition action, and the fact that maneuvers now work with Agile. I do wish that the Wizard spell schools had an extra spell or two per level, but overall I don't mind the changes there either.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Blockhouse posted:

In practice, it played like a spontaneous caster with more bookkeeping, with the important distinction that your power wasn’t tied to level-specific spell slots, so you could cast more high-level spells per day. Since there were also ways to spend more points in order to make a spell more powerful, this lead to psions dumping all their points into huge nukes.

It wasn’t bad per se, but was heavily reliant on the psion’s player paying attention and planning their turn out in advance so that they weren’t fumbling with a calculator for two minutes in order to figure out if they could afford to erase the boss this round.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

VikingofRock posted:

The Magic Sword's write-up for the remaster preview at gencon is up.

Some pretty neat changes here IMO. I really like the new Reposition action, and the fact that maneuvers now work with Agile. I do wish that the Wizard spell schools had an extra spell or two per level, but overall I don't mind the changes there either.

I am really hyped about this, as are my players.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

The changes to the Witch look nice. I like how there's more emphasis on the familiar.
One of my players wanted to do more with her familiar during combat and I think she'll be really happy with this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Can't wait to read Witch changes in depth for one of my players. She definitely wants more for her familiar to do.

Also loving this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Lamuella posted:

I've just configured ownership for the actor. Has that caused issues?

We ran into issues doing that... things like the permissions not properly being reset, or multiple tokens staying selected when you were trying to select only one, vision permissions getting wonky...
I had some issues as a player and so did another player, not sure how the DM was doing things but it ended up being easier to just leave the permissions set normally and have the person running the second character to just have a second tab/window open.