Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah, there was a lot more headroom for improvement back then, and consoles generally lagged behind PCs considerably in terms of power so a new generation meant getting a lot closer to the state of the art. These days not only is that not true anymore but consoles are starting to surpass even relatively good PCs. I would argue that one of the main reasons that the PS4 continues to be supported is not necessarily because of anything to do with the PS5, but because supporting the PC in a way that doesn't exclude the majority of people automatically makes supporting the PS4 a lot simpler. For one thing I think there needs to be a big shift towards requiring SSDs for PC games now that they're so cheap, and then you'll start seeing a lot more games that simply wouldn't be feasible on the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't buy the consoles so I see them mostly as an outside force that kind of pegs graphics to a certain level for a number of years. When my computer is bad or aging I am glad consoles keep things in check so even a mediocre PC can run any console games. When my computer is good and relatively new I want excessive heat warnings in my room so I can feel the absurd price of GPUs in my bones as it takes a marginal step closer to dirt so realistic I can feel the sun light radiating from it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hatty posted:

In my somewhat limited experience actual kids were somewhat excited for the PS5. I got one for my cousin a year or so ago for Christmas and he was showing off to all his friends on discord and stuff. It’s probably just an old person thing

Nah.

It's because once we hit 3D era most console generations effectively became iterative in terms of graphics which leads to cross-gen compatibility, so while there's always upgrades it's hard to see that slow progression of time anymore, and there's only a handful of studios that are fully capable of putting out ~ultra realistic~ poo poo that take years to get to market.

The other problem is that some studios will just poo poo stuff out because they still make a reasonable profit - so there's no reason to go all in.

It was easy to see the generational leaps when it was 8 bit -> 16 -> 32 -> 3D.
Now it's harder because it's more technical stuff like Correct Lighting

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Things like DLSS3 are the modern day generational leaps you used to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5XYuuqgWg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Things like DLSS3 are the modern day generational leaps you used to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5XYuuqgWg

I can't tell the difference between those two. Is it just the big number in the top right

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Dabir posted:

I can't tell the difference between those two. Is it just the big number in the top right

Yes, that's the point. DLSS runs the game at a significantly reduced resolution and then uses machine learning to upscale it with the intention of no loss in graphical fidelity. If you run a modern AAA game right now in 640x480 resolution, it's gonna allow for a crazy high FPS. DLSS makes that 640x480 look like 4K while maintaining that crazy high FPS.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
DLSS 3.0 does frame generation as well, so even if the game is only rendering at 50fps, it can generate the in-between frames to make it look like 100fps with only minimal artifacting (and the higher the native framerate, the less artifacting there is).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dabir posted:

That's using the same hardware to get better results.

DLSS3 will downscale the game to a lower resolution, then upscale it in realtime with AI.
It looks exactly the same, but you get a higher frame rate

So it frees poo poo up for ~Better Lighting~ with proper raytracing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk7Zbzd-6fs

Once that sort of stuff hits consoles it'll be great, which we might see with Unreal 5 powered games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkEOEEKYD0

It comes back around to.. your PS5 and Xbox are capable of poo poo like this.. it's just we don't know when we'll see games that fully utilise it, cause you have to have studios willing to develop at that level.

Case in point, beards in Starfield looking like decade old nonsense

AAAA gaming experience with Capt Pubebeard

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Volte posted:

You're right, Sony really screwed over gamers by, uh...not forcibly stagnating the game development industry by requiring all new games to support 2013 hardware in perpetuity

That particular gambit is a Microsoft Console Exclusive. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm waiting for either a PS5 slim or something like that. I'd get the digital version for the hundo cheaper, but without like the option to get a disc drive later, I'm not comfortable with instantly consigning myself to only buying digital

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EightFlyingCars posted:

we're all old enough that we remember when a new console was a Holy poo poo Look At This mindblow, that's all.

i'm not saying the ps5 isn't a worthwhile hardware upgrade but i'm not gonna get super excited about it either

That's never going to happen again until someone makes a console you can plug into your brain or something

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

That's never going to happen again until someone makes a console you can plug into your brain or something

and then it will no longer be figurative

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

:unsmith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/AC_Roald/status/1687443799096655872

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dabir posted:

it would be a a better comparison if it was on a slower shittier gpu because running at 140fps instead of 60 is another of those things that you don't really care about unless your hobby is spending money on graphics cards
but like a 3 way comparison showing "here is this scene with dlss and high settings at 60fps, here is the same thing with dlss off at 20fps, and here is it with the graphics turned down enough to get back to 60 with dlss off" would be way more illustrative
but do they even have dlss support on any budget gpus for normal people who want to play at 1080p 30-60fps or is it still only on the $1000+ ones

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Happiness is a big kirb

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://twitter.com/LucBernard/status/1686509797955584000

The first Holocaust Museum in Fortnite has been approved today by Epic Games.

I really don't understand fortnite.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wanna hug that kirb

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that not satire

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unsure how I feel about the ability to do this. How do you access this content within Fortnite? How does it work exactly? Can a player only wander around the virtual recreation and nothing else?

[edit]
Honestly this seems like its probably fake?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dabir posted:

Is that not satire

no, they've done other things like this before, like this Martin Luther King museum thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4vPPizyXjc

edit:

Fortnite disables dance moves in Martin Luther King, Jr. tribute
March Through Time recreation of 1963 "I Have a Dream" speech quickly marred by disrespectful and racist use of in-game emotes

I said come in! posted:

Unsure how I feel about the ability to do this. How do you access this content within Fortnite? How does it work exactly? Can a player only wander around the virtual recreation and nothing else?

That's the part I really don't understand

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

I think they show up as special modes with PVP disallowed, and also with some emotes considered extra tasteless disabled. You can wander around the virtual recreation or go play normal Fortnite but they aren't mixed together

quote:

[edit]
Honestly this seems like its probably fake?

After the MLK stunt a few years ago, I absolutely believe it

https://twitter.com/campster/status/1430910664223072258

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no, they've done other things like this before, like this Martin Luther King museum thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4vPPizyXjc

Not surprised by the reaction.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

:kirby:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

After the MLK stunt a few years ago, I absolutely believe it

https://twitter.com/campster/status/1430910664223072258

Okay so it is real, just feels very out of place to me, but I don't know all of the details.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's custom gamemodes in fortnite. This stuff like the MLK thing s not just in the game itself, but a special map you choose from the main menu.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

"80% of Americans haven't visited a museum"

Like, any museum? Aren't there NASCAR and wrestling museums?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They took us to museums periodically in grade school.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think Mr. Bernard might be mistaken. The actual statistic seems to be "80% of Americans have not visited a Holocaust museum"

Personally, I'm skeptical of the effectiveness of this kind of virtual outreach.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How do I reach these keeeeds

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I've been to Namco Museum.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never saw the fortnight Holocaust museum episode of Nathan For You

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmfao I can't believe this card will become reality in 2025

wotc just announced a Final Fantasy MTG product, marked as "tentpole", meaning it's probably a full set like the LOTR set, meaning we are probably getting an actual legitimate Sephiroth MTG card :unsmigghh:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I might come back to arena for a final fantasy set lmao

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whoever made that FAKE card has a lot to learn about Magic grammar.

« Pick up cards off the top of the library until a creature is found? »
Do you mean « reveal cards on top of their library until a creature is revealed »?

Double Strike is double capitalized?

flavour text is a quote from the creature, you don’t need to add the creature’s name at the end there

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

https://twitter.com/LucBernard/status/1686509797955584000

The first Holocaust Museum in Fortnite has been approved today by Epic Games.

I really don't understand fortnite.

This rules. I love fortnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Whoever made that FAKE card has a lot to learn about Magic grammar.

« Pick up cards off the top of the library until a creature is found? »
Do you mean « reveal cards on top of their library until a creature is revealed »?

Double Strike is double capitalized?

flavour text is a quote from the creature, you don’t need to add the creature’s name at the end there
--sephiroth