Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kazy posted:

So you're one of the ones that logged in early and stayed up for days until you finished it due to the queue times? :v:

More or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Kazy posted:

So you're one of the ones that logged in early and stayed up for days until you finished it due to the queue times? :v:

Me too. It was wild doing Ultima Thule at 4 in the morning, in an almost utterly empty zone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kazy posted:

Yeah, same here.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

While I was doing the Omicron tribal quests (when they were new) I wondered about the experience of players in Endwalker for the first time surrounded by people fishing and gathering. Especially since, just my observation, most people seem to use gathering jobs for their swimwear glams (those who aren't just wearing a bikini all the time at least).

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm mostly happy with how Eulmore had been handled but do think that maybe that couple laughing about a servant being tossed over the railing to splatter on the rocks should have a dialogue change, if not a change of heart, at least make it so they've moved somewhere more discreet to whine about not being able to do the cruel poo poo anymore.

Everyone else got dialogue updates.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is all reminding me, the Ondo are probably starting to get pissed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm mostly happy with how Eulmore had been handled but do think that maybe that couple laughing about a servant being tossed over the railing to splatter on the rocks should have a dialogue change, if not a change of heart, at least make it so they've moved somewhere more discreet to whine about not being able to do the cruel poo poo anymore.

Everyone else got dialogue updates.

Most of Eulmore are okay people who bent to mob mentality and went along with a bad crowd.

Those two are that bad crowd.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The zone tech the game uses lets them phase any zone entirely at will but you can tell they really don't want a situation where player A is standing on top of something that is invisible on player B's screen, hence the collision stuff

For example P12S P1/P2 take place in the same spot and all the geometry in the background of P2 is loaded on demand, nothing stopping them from doing that in like Northern Thanalan or something, the zones run on the same tech

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1687379658109784064

Oh, it turns out if you give Emet-Selch some shampoo and conditioner, he and Hyth become Sailor Moon villains. Is this what all the Emet-fuckers were seeing this whole time?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Might get me a Venat

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1687379658109784064

Oh, it turns out if you give Emet-Selch some shampoo and conditioner, he and Hyth become Sailor Moon villains. Is this what all the Emet-fuckers were seeing this whole time?

This bit would work better if these looked any different from the in game models at all in design.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This bit would work better if these looked any different from the in game models at all in design.

The followup shows from a different angle and makes it clear there's a lot more body in Emet's hair in particular. It looks way less greasy and stringy than it does in-game. Probably less deliberate design and more just that one is way easier to do in-game and the other is way easier to sculpt for a model.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1687386572088569858

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah the close up makes it clear that Emet does actually look a lot less, hmmm, I dunno. It's the medium more than anything, the design is the same but the medium makes what Emet has going on a lot softer/smoother looking as a statue.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He's definitely got softer features.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They are ever so slightly softer and under glamour lighting to make them photogenic instead of FF14's often harsh and very rarely smooth lighting. It isn't a massive difference.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It kind of looks like the statue has makeup on to me. Like his lips are differently colored which really makes him appear different even without the lighting difference softening a lot of features.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

He’s also smiling.

When does Hades ever smile? Never, if you ask him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Someone took a model of Cher and put it in a robe.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

why does that link out to some random store and not the SE store

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vitamean posted:

why does that link out to some random store and not the SE store

Because they're only selling those in Japan, and that store's whole business is middlemanning this sort of stuff overseas. The person tweeting is the CEO of it.

(I've heard that store's not exactly one you'd want to rely on unless there's no alternatives, though)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I don't know if CD Japan will carry them but I've had great experiences with their proxy buying when the encyclopedia Eorzea's weren't so easily available

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Because they're only selling those in Japan, and that store's whole business is middlemanning this sort of stuff overseas. The person tweeting is the CEO of it.

(I've heard that store's not exactly one you'd want to rely on unless there's no alternatives, though)

?? they're in the new round of fanfest merch

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vitamean posted:

?? they're in the new round of fanfest merch

I think it'd be necessary for other countries than America. Australia rarely gets this stuff direct, for example.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So a question I have after playing FF16 is: is there a law of the conservation of aether in this game? Like primals drain the land of aether and that’s bad, but when we kill them the aether returns to the land - it doesn’t get burned off. The reason the Burn exists is because the aether that was there formerly is now recirculating in Azys Lla, not because it’s just gone forever. Is that right?

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 5, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I believe that is all accurate. And a big part of why the Final Days was so scary is that those transformations were actually completely destroying aether.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Regy Rusty posted:

I believe that is all accurate. And a big part of why the Final Days was so scary is that those transformations were actually completely destroying aether.

Specifically, they seemed to be destroying souls. Which is... y'know, pretty major. (Although they might've just been getting sent to Ultima Thule instead.)

Beyond that, my read is generally that conservation of aether exists for the most part, but primals have the capacity to break it. This gets into my own guesswork, but my read is that all aether consumed by primals is just gone forever, but when you kill one, all the aether currently comprising them disperses; that'd explain why Alexander moving could have caused a Calamity, but the Eden primals were for for their purpose.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

It was getting taken away, but it looked like it was destroying it yes.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I read it as Primals sucked up aether to grow and they just keep growing. A Garuda is going to work to make herself big but even a doofy one like Bismark is ultimately a threat because it will kill everything eventually. Killing one is like popping a balloon and you get it all back even if it's aspected weird now. Ascian trained summoners make one with the dial turned up to 11 but like Ifrita was used to suck up fire and move it so it feels like either an original feature or very minor bug that didn't matter back then. Using up aether doesn't seem to make sense with all the magical poo poo in the setting

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 5, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Even if there is no net loss of total aether, a Primal that sucks a chunk of land dry of every drop of life doesn't just put that life back when it dies. It's not JUST a question of energy, at least if you're not working on a time scale or with the level of power Eden was using.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

A though has occurred to me, is Stardiver (canonically first used by Nidhogg's hatred/ghost/soul posessing Estinien) the method Dragons employ to traverse space so fast. Since it is more or less an aetheric railgun the Dragoon shoots themselve through (and very similar to the method we use to get to Ultima Thule via Sharlayan's teeny tiny little ship).

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I assumed big dragons just have an interstellar cruise mode where they shoot akh morns out of their rear end tbh. Magic nuclear pulse propulsion

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pretty sure that ships and interstellar beings in the FFXIV verse are powered by the mysterious force only known as plot

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A dragon could probably also sleep through most of an interstellar trip.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nessus posted:

Even if there is no net loss of total aether, a Primal that sucks a chunk of land dry of every drop of life doesn't just put that life back when it dies. It's not JUST a question of energy, at least if you're not working on a time scale or with the level of power Eden was using.

This is a pretty good example.

The issue that the Ea identified is that on long enough timescales everything eventually 'cools off' to an even gradient. The aether is still THERE, but the differences in potential energy that make interesting things happen would be exhausted.

Or, at least, that's what they were absolutely convinced would happen.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Gearhead posted:

This is a pretty good example.

The issue that the Ea identified is that on long enough timescales everything eventually 'cools off' to an even gradient. The aether is still THERE, but the differences in potential energy that make interesting things happen would be exhausted.

Or, at least, that's what they were absolutely convinced would happen.

I mean, the thing they figured out was "The Heat Death of the Universe is a thing that will eventually happen", and their response was "guess we'll kill ourselves, then".

Forgive me for not weeping oceans over the Ea.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Entropy real; so what

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On that note, did anyone else find it odd that Ultima Thule is basically Y'shtola and Estinien going "Ehh, who cares?" to the woes of the aliens and only G'raha tries to talk his listener through their problem?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

On that note, did anyone else find it odd that Ultima Thule is basically Y'shtola and Estinien going "Ehh, who cares?" to the woes of the aliens and only G'raha tries to talk his listener through their problem?

I dunno, I feel like "I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't actually matter to me" is the kind of shock the Ea needed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's the Everything Everywhere school of nihilism: "Nothing matters? Okay, so?"

If nothing matters, the fact that nothing matters doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Estinien is the all-time champion of brow-beating Dragons out of depression.