Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah I am trying to understand what I'm getting for my extra $250. I would value quiet over grind quality dollar for dollar, but I already don't like grinding my own coffee so I feel like a manual grinder will make me want to scream. How long would it take to grind for 14-16oz of brewed coffee on a manual one? (Two normal human mugs, 5-6 "cups" coffee.)

I also need to figure out what to exchange this thing for at Seattle Coffee Gear. I'm not a grind snob in general, we used the hell out of one of a capresso at my old job to make espresso and it worked fine. It will make drip coffee grinds just fine.

You aren't going to find much in the way of a decent electric grinder that is significantly smaller than the Capresso. The Lagom Mini is probably the only good electric grinder that's meaningfully smaller than the Capresso, which is why amenenema mentioned it. I'm not sure its a terribly good fit for your use case though, since the hopper only takes about 30g of beans.

The Fellow Ode v2 is a better fit for multi/large cup brews, but its also in the mid $300's range and has a bigger footprint than the Capresso. What you get for that premium is much more consistent grind size, which makes for better and more consistent coffee. Its also reasonably quiet and fast and has a metal (re no static) grounds bin. All that pretty much applies to the Lagom Mini as well.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah I am trying to understand what I'm getting for my extra $250. I would value quiet over grind quality dollar for dollar, but I already don't like grinding my own coffee so I feel like a manual grinder will make me want to scream. How long would it take to grind for 14-16oz of brewed coffee on a manual one? (Two normal human mugs, 5-6 "cups" coffee.)

I also need to figure out what to exchange this thing for at Seattle Coffee Gear. I'm not a grind snob in general, we used the hell out of one of a capresso at my old job to make espresso and it worked fine. It will make drip coffee grinds just fine.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/eureka-mignon-silenzio-espresso-grinder
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/fellow-ode-coffee-grinder-gen-2

Extra money gets you an all- or mostly-metal build, bigger and sharper burrs, a more powerful motor, and a more precise and repeatable grind adjustment. These will get you, with some diminishing returns, better-tasting coffee and a nicer (less messy, quieter, faster) workflow. It's up to you how much you want to spend on that. For espresso I have previously suggested spending around half the budget on the grinder; for drip coffee (or pourover, obviously) I would spend potentially much more than that.

Cheap hand grinders are bad and painful to use but good (expensive) ones with larger, sharper burrs can make very good coffee and can grind 30g of beans, enough for 500ml of coffee, in under a minute. Kinu, comandante, and 1zpresso make hand grinders in this category. I think SCG only sells harios which are bad hand grinders which will make you unhappy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Thanks everyone. I'm generally assuming I will need to spend some extra $ to get smaller, trying to figure out if I care. I'm not wed to Seattle Coffee Gear for the grinder. I can always buy like 20 boxes of moccamaster brand filters or 5 bags of coffee or whatever from them to use up the $89.99 in store credit I would theoretically get.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If sound is a concern you must simply wrap your grinder in a pillow, obviously

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks everyone. I'm generally assuming I will need to spend some extra $ to get smaller, trying to figure out if I care. I'm not wed to Seattle Coffee Gear for the grinder. I can always buy like 20 boxes of moccamaster brand filters or 5 bags of coffee or whatever from them to use up the $89.99 in store credit I would theoretically get.

Yeah, you'll be spending 3x or more for a grinder, but if you're only using that mochamaster, you probably won't notice a large difference (or maybe any difference). I use my Capresso Infinity for pour over or french press, but it's also the second grinder in my coffee station. It's on for maybe 20-30s at a time, so the volume isn't a big issue unless you're in a studio or small apt and you have someone sleeping really close by when you want to use it. The options that everyone is posting are all very good grinders too, but you'll have to decide how much you're willing to pay. I really like the look of the Fellow, and when this Capresso dies in the next year or two I'll probably grab that to replace it. But it's been a very serviceable grinder for the price for a long time already.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eureka Mignon Chrono is fantastic value for filter coffee but if your grind isn't set perfectly it doesn't have the distribution to kinda average it out. I have two and I like them, espresso burrs in one.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
A manual grinder for 14-16oz is probably like 40 seconds of grinding depending on a bunch of things like grind size and how fast you're turning the thing

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Lagom mini apparently has a pretty harsh sound. Honestly the best sounding grinder for the lowest cost is probably a Niche but that's $600+

My 1zpresso JXPro could grind 18g espresso fine in like 20 seconds. Huge difference from like a 20-50 dollar hand grinder both in terms of speed as well as feel (i.e. not getting bogged down/starting and stopping)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gwrtheyrn posted:

A manual grinder for 14-16oz

Come again?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

"of brewed drip coffee" it's like 28g of grinds according to the manual that came with the moccamaster.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

nothing beats a good quality hand grinder in terms of footprint and noise, imo

much simpler to clean, too

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Makes my arm tired tho.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not me my right arm is used to the workout

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Something Awful Forums > Goons With Spoons > Coffee: crankin' it until I have a sloppy puck

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Something Awful Forums > Goons With Spoons > Coffee: crankin' it until I have a sloppy puck

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

BrianBoitano posted:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Sometimes you can find the perfect title

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm going to regret asking this but if anyone can find another thread tag (from anywhere on the forums) to go with the title, I will ask an admin to hook it up.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There's an I ❤️ cum one, but my vote is for

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

BrianBoitano posted:

There's an I ❤️ cum one, but my vote is for

I think the "kiddo" one (below Tails in the image you posted) complements the new thread title, myself.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any steam wand cold foam tips? First I did steam-with-ice which had pretty good texture but muted sweetness. Then I thought maybe steaming hot breaks down the sugars so I steamed hot then iced it down but that ruined the texture

Is the truth that cold foam just doesn't taste as sweet? I'll do some syrup next time. Any advice for what you like?

Good old backup for hot weather is espresso tonic though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone know where I can v60 02 filters in a store? I’m out and accidentally bought 01s on Amazon

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Is the truth that cold foam just doesn't taste as sweet? I'll do some syrup next time. Any advice for what you like?

The heat hydrolyzes the one lactose molecule into two sugar molecules with more net sweetness. You can just add more sugar to your desired sweetness, but I suppose you could also add lactase powder to accomplish the same reaction enzymatically for what I guess would be the closest taste to steamed milk.

No idea if that is an actual thing anyone does though. You might get a similar effect with Lactaid milk, it is noticeably a bit sweeter than normal milk for that reason.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well "cold foam" drinks are a thing at Starbucks and I want to experiment, for personal interest and maybe for the local café

So I think the only commercially reasonable option is a little syrup unless others have experience :)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Any steam wand cold foam tips? First I did steam-with-ice which had pretty good texture but muted sweetness. Then I thought maybe steaming hot breaks down the sugars so I steamed hot then iced it down but that ruined the texture

Cold foam is made with a frother not a steam wand.

Almost all cold foams are also going to contain sugar (usually syrup but you can do table sugar) for 2 reasons. One is because it won’t be as sweet as steamed milk due to the sugar breakdown when steaming. The other is because the sugar stabilizes the foam (like a meringue).

You can achieve the same effect with a whisk by hand, an egg beater, or an immersion blender if you don’t have a frother. Look up all those whipped coffee recipes from the pandemic if you want additional suggestions for how to whip it.

BrianBoitano posted:

Well "cold foam" drinks are a thing at Starbucks and I want to experiment, for personal interest and maybe for the local café

So I think the only commercially reasonable option is a little syrup unless others have experience :)

Starbucks uses a frother.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cheers thank you!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cold latte update: yeah, it's great with the added sweetness.

1/2 as much ice as milk
Steam it, almost all the ice melts
Espresso stirred with 1 tsp simple or 2 tsp chocolate syrup
Combine with more ice

Even without the sugar to stabilize at the beginning, this is a huge upgrade to the café'a default iced latte being just plain milk. 2 baristas and 2 customers much preferred it. Maybe we'll call it a silky latte? Marketing is hard.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
What if you freeze distilled milk, steamed that, and used the leftover milk ice from the freeze distilling instead of regular ice? Idk probably too much work for a cafe but maybe I’ll try that

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You know, what you're describing sounds like trying to keep a higher concentration of milk flavor. This has me thinking of playing with sweetened condensed milk and/or evaporated milk, to make supermilk lattes :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tres leches coffee

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

You know, what you're describing sounds like trying to keep a higher concentration of milk flavor. This has me thinking of playing with sweetened condensed milk and/or evaporated milk, to make supermilk lattes :v:

Sounds like a Vietnamese iced coffee. I'm sure you could just add espresso instead of using a Phin filter, but you'd still need to add some chocolate flavor to complete the reproduction and I'm not sure it would work with chocolate syrup unless you have a dark chocolate syrup? Maybe if you had a bean that really tastes of cocoa to make the espresso?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's already an invention better than a cold latte and it's called affogato.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mu Zeta posted:

Affogato 'bout that one.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mu Zeta posted:

If calories weren't a thing it'd be my sole consumption method.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

If calories weren't a thing it'd be my sole consumption method.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

You lot weren't joking about the Zojirushi thermos cups. I was still sipping warm coffee at 4pm today (made at 0745). Slightly more of a faff to clean than the Contigos, but worth it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can’t imagine drinking warm coffee at 4PM because I’ve slurped that delicious bean juice within the hour of making it. How does it last so long?!?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only happens if the office is busy and I forget about it somehow. Otherwise it's all gone within the first hour of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
My wife really likes warm foamed milk in her drip coffee.

I've used this style and it works fine for what we need.

I'm on my second one of them in a few years though. The one linked lasted for about 2, then the most recent one lasted about 10 months. Slightly different version.

Thought it was because I got water on the switch while cleaning it for the first one, second one dying makes me think it's just cheap garbage.

Recs? Adding in a manual microwave / French press or other handheld wand bit is a bit too much for me to deal with.