Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

AlternateNu posted:

Thunder Junction is the dumbest loving name for a Wild West plane.

Yep, it’s perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Captain Invictus posted:

what would you call it then

Something less boring and cliche at the very least.

FF universes beyond might get me if it isn't predominantly FF7 focused tbh

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

is it actually confirmed to be the plane name? strixhaven isnt the name of the plane its on, just a place ON the plane, so it could be a similar situation here

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I love basically all of this except rear end creed

Oh lmao I legit thought it was just a joke. Shoulda known, too elaborate and specific for a shitpost

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whacky Races is a cool idea, would be fun to have some race mechanics and it doesn't have to be "whacky" like cartoony, Magic version could easily be instead people in a carriage, kaldheim cat chariot, some gold filagree shooter etc etc. That and vehicles we already have could just as well work as reprints for it potentially

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It might be funny if the AC set has cards of real historical figures

Leonardo da Vinci thopter tribal

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Khanstant posted:

Whacky Races is a cool idea, would be fun to have some race mechanics and it doesn't have to be "whacky" like cartoony, Magic version could easily be instead people in a carriage, kaldheim cat chariot, some gold filagree shooter etc etc. That and vehicles we already have could just as well work as reprints for it potentially

Dragons Maze was supposed to be a combined murder mystery+ whacky races set and it sucked!! Hope they've learned from then.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The non UB stuff sounds cool. Sounds like everything is mostly standalone? There’s no big arc going on connecting the sets?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ryan Pancoast sold the art for Bloomburrow recently without mentioning set name, etc.. No price for the sold listing but his art easily goes for tens of thousands so I bet this sold for at least that much

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ITS HAPPENING HA HAH

Sets all sound dope. Love that we're finally getting back to Shadowmoor.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 5, 2023

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It might be funny if the AC set has cards of real historical figures

Leonardo da Vinci thopter tribal

Bring back the satanism scare by having The Pope from the second game as the flagship commander of one of the decks

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Miss me with the horror poo poo, but the rest of the original MTG stuff seems alright. UB is not for me but I am glad for the people who enjoy it.

Modern Horizons 3 is just an absolute joke but I can't fault them for printing what sells. Let's see what it does to Legacy, I don't play Modern unless I have to for an event.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like some great stuff overall. I was literally just thinking that FF would make for a pretty good UB set yesterday so that's kinda eerie!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mix. posted:

is it actually confirmed to be the plane name? strixhaven isnt the name of the plane its on, just a place ON the plane, so it could be a similar situation here

If it's that kind of situation, it would have to be something incredibly simple and on the nose right?

Wild West -> the Alamo -> wizard in Spanish = "el mago" -> Alamago

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Bloomburrow is giving mouse guard vibes and I love it. Excited about all the standard legal stuff they showed but nervous about everything that's going to be legacy legal.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbqh the wildest thing to me is that they're putting modern horizons 3 on arena

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Katana Gomai posted:

Miss me with the horror poo poo
I dunno if it's an entire plane that's literally just one giant building, like the entire plane is a single construct, that'd be fascinating

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno if it's an entire plane that's literally just one giant building, like the entire plane is a single construct, that'd be fascinating

yeah its confirmed to explicitly be this, the whole plane is just one big horror mansion, the art they shared of an "outside"-like room gives vibes somewhat closer to like. darkseed/giger poo poo. it loving whips

fadam posted:

Sounds like everything is mostly standalone? There’s no big arc going on connecting the sets?

we are apparently in the "omenpaths" story arc, which seems like its going to be more of a focus on how the different planes are slightly blending together now that non-walkers can sometimes show up on other planes. there is apparently going to be some kind of overarching thread, since they did say the arc will be over the next few years with a culmination set in 2026 similar to what war of the spark or march of the machines were for the bolas/phyrexia arcs

honestly think its a good thing theyre just straight up saying how long the arc is gonna be even if 2026 is a year that's just static in my head because thats 3 years away. better to set a defined period than just nebulously go 'guess we're doing this for an indefinite period'

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

tbqh the wildest thing to me is that they're putting modern horizons 3 on arena

It seems completely pointless TBH. But almost all their anthology like products on arena confuse me completely and make me question the competency of everyone involved in those processes start to finish.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

It seems completely pointless TBH. But almost all their anthology like products on arena confuse me completely and make me question the competency of everyone involved in those processes start to finish.

is pointless the right word? people are gonna play with the cards and draft the limited format like they usually do

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

is pointless the right word? people are gonna play with the cards and draft the limited format like they usually do

Than virtually any cards fit that low bar. Going through any kind of effort to put partial list of modern cards into arena is dumb when modern doesn't exist in arena. Who wants more incomplete formats on arena?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

Than virtually any cards fit that low bar. Going through any kind of effort to put partial list of modern cards into arena is dumb when modern doesn't exist in arena. Who wants more incomplete formats on arena?

modern horizons is almost notoriously not a reprint set and 3 is likely to be similarly full of powerful new cards

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Me.

The more arena content the better since for me it’s my only way of engaging with Magic at the moment. Plus margins on these Arena releases must be amazing

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Not for nothing but assuming Arena's card parser works as well as it does, they'd kind of be foolish to not add arena dev time to MH3 parallel with its normal operations

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Thunder Junction is the dumbest loving name for a Wild West plane.

It's very Disney-esque, and if we don't get a cowboy creature type then what's the loving point???? Ooooh and it brings back banding with a Cavalry creature type.

It could also be the name for a kick rear end water park.

LifeLynx posted:

New Universes Beyond alert! Jurassic World coming with Caverns of Ixalan, featuring mechanically unique cards in packs.

Then there's Fallout with four Commander decks. That'll be interesting, even though I'm a huge fan of the Fallout games I couldn't name a single character I'd be excited about. The world of Fallout is good, but not too many memorable characters. Dog Meat?

Also Assassin's Creed.

Duskmourn, a plane that's one giant haunted mansion, with modern horror tropes instead of Innistrad's classic ones.

Could always use more good dogos, also why Fallout??? Why not Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, or the earlier poo poo that is actually fantasy themed???

As long as I can have like 3-4 different Ezios where the win con is being sexy suave men with horrible Italian accents it may be okay. Also more pirates.

Modern Horror tropes? Like "Hereditary" and "Scream" or "It Follows" modern horror??? I really don't see why they couldn't just make that a return to Baron Signir's Vampireland castle and actually make a good Signir card for once.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 6, 2023

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The commander decks have pardner

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sickening posted:

I really want to draft it on arena and I’m glad I’ll be able to. Both formats have been bangers for limited

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

THERE IS ALREADY A FINAL FANTASY CARD GAME THAT IS BOTH POPULAR AND GOOD.

gently caress.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Next UBs will be Petticoat Junction, Wagon Train, and the Searchers.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rickiep00h posted:

gently caress.

But can you cast scan, or shell? Or gravija???

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Do you think The Wanderer will show up in Thundergun Express as the man with no name analogue?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OneDeadman posted:

Bring back the satanism scare by having The Pope from the second game as the flagship commander of one of the decks

They said rear end Creed isn't going to be Commander decks. It's basically going to be an Aftermath style booster set. New booster style too, mixing the new cards with reprints.

Wild West plane is going to be a villain focused story about all these different villains from other planes meeting up Hateful 8/Magnificent 7 style.

Edit: sounds like the new story structure is meant as a compromise between current style and blocks. With the barriers breaking down they can run a continuous story over several sets and still have those sets be mechanically different. Wild West wraps up the Omen Path arc that we're on now and Bloomburrow kicks off The Dragon Storm.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 6, 2023

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

rickiep00h posted:

gently caress.

Can't wait for universes beyond: pokemon

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Do you think The Wanderer will show up in Thundergun Express as the man with no name analogue?

Wandering Emperor lost her spark and is just traveling around Kamigawa with Kaito since she never got to as a kid.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The commander decks have pardner

I hate this and love this at the same time. :clint:

The art on Reddit showing concepts of the Cowboy world shows some jank rear end fashion that you would see at a Santa Fe outdoor market worn by a suburban mom.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Captain Invictus posted:

Very pumped for the piranesi plane

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm loving pumped to draft triple Khans on MTGA.

Gonna save all my draft tokens and poo poo for that. Best draft format.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

They pretty deliberately adjusted their standard set release schedule to leave a gap in the summer for an additional draft release on Arena (the Baldur's Gate set last year, the LotR set currently) so them bringing MH3 to Arena in that slot shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

A deck can have up to sixteen copies of Cid

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1687907732467089408

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Odds the MH3 totally shakes up Modern and has several $60+ new mythics added that are must haves?
This is part of why I play pauper, I can't justify spending $1000+ to build a deck that might not even be good in a year