Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Does this count for the thread? Found some poop in my yard and checked the camera. Last two times this has happened, it was because of horses.

:texas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Friend posted:

Does this count for the thread? Found some poop in my yard and checked the camera. Last two times this has happened, it was because of horses.

Pictured:cattle
:texas:

Is that the joke? ‘Cause those aren’t horses. Or did you forget to post the following picture with a cowboy on horse back lassoing them and dragging them back home? If that’s the case, are you sure you didn’t find cowboy scat in your yard?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I heard about some cows roaming in a Dallas neighborhood pretty recently. It was on the local news! How often does this happen!!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Bored posted:

Is that the joke? ‘Cause those aren’t horses. Or did you forget to post the following picture with a cowboy on horse back lassoing them and dragging them back home? If that’s the case, are you sure you didn’t find cowboy scat in your yard?

No, sorry, I meant last time I found big poops in my front yard it was horses who got loose at 2am, so seeing cows on the camera this time was a surprise. Here are the horses from last year.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Hungry buddy

https://i.imgur.com/DkKdKNQ.mp4

Also this freeloader who keeps eating flies before my plant can

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Friend posted:

No, sorry, I meant last time I found big poops in my front yard it was horses who got loose at 2am, so seeing cows on the camera this time was a surprise. Here are the horses from last year.

Sorry if I came off aggressive. My misunderstanding of the post just tickled me. Yup. Looks like you got yourself an infestation of livestock.

I was driving home a few months ago and had to stop because a bunch of calves had gotten loose from their pastures. They finally wandered back to their moms after I rolled down my window and said,”You’re so loving cute!” Their moms were all still in their pasture. The calves were probably all,”You’re not the boss(y) of me!” when their moms told them not to leave the pasture, but I was scary. The car wasn’t a concern, only me.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Black Redstart being very dramatic on a piece of modern art

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Winklebottom posted:

Black Redstart being very dramatic on a piece of modern art

Great shot! Reminded me to post this one:

And here's a tiny bee enjoying some of the many wildflowers we planted in our yard:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Great shot! Reminded me to post this one:

Thanks! What's the pole bird? I'm thinking crow but the wing has a hint of brown

I call this one "would you PLEASE move away from the backlight so I have even the slightest chance of identifying you" feat. every bird of prey I spotted last week.

they were probably all common buzzards anyway

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Winklebottom posted:

Thanks! What's the pole bird? I'm thinking crow but the wing has a hint of brown

I think it's just a crow in very intense sun showing some iridescence.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The wee-est of lizards.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

This big dude was moving very fast along the pavement this afternoon. My dog was perturbed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chernobyl Princess posted:

This big dude was moving very fast along the pavement this afternoon. My dog was perturbed.

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember what that caterpillar was, and I think it's a polyphemus moth based on the green body and little brown head?

Those things are some of my favorite looking moths, especially for coming from such a simple little caterpillar.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Here's a big fat Bedstraw Hawk-moth caterpillar. And it's somewhat less chunky neighbor on my pants so you can admire its horn.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Tiny nest of some tiny creature. Can you imagine a more perfect way to live?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chernobyl Princess posted:

That’s a Luna moth caterpillar I think nvm I think captain hygiene is right

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Six-spot burnet (very goth)

Large ringlet, maybe?

had to run up and down a few mountains but I found a alpine marmot!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

beautiful critters lately. such a cool caterpie. i love this thread, everyone keep posting their critters!!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Had to move this little idiot off my car. Just because it's orange doesn't make it a flower!

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Had to move this little idiot off my car. Just because it's orange doesn't make it a flower!

"Oi mate, you want some mate?"

Have some ducks
https://i.imgur.com/JKmhLXD.mp4

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

One of the girl hummingbirds, not pictured because no hummingbirds are pictured above, was about 5 inches away from my face today before being body-checked by one of her sisters. I have no clue what she is trying to inspect on me, since she hovers over very slowly.

I also don’t know if it’s the same hummingbird that keeps trying to sneak over to study me closer than she gets while watching me over the feeders.

I do have a 30s video of one of the periodic hummingbird battle royales that happen throughout the day. No clue where to upload it to post it here though.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

^ imgur seems to work fine for video clips!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/9gOTo7s
Video and img tags don’t want to work. I’m wondering if the sound towards the end there is actually made by them doing something with their tail feathers, since you can hear that sounds a lot when they hit eachother during their fake fighting frenzies, but I don’t know that they are actually hitting hard enough to make that cracking noise.

In case anyone doesn’t know about them making noises with tail feathers:

https://youtu.be/Biagyb7AcK8

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

^ Amazing! Yeah it does kind of sound like it even if it doesn't come across as clearly as in the second video. That's so cool that you get them visiting your garden!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bored posted:

https://imgur.com/a/9gOTo7s
Video and img tags don’t want to work. I’m wondering if the sound towards the end there is actually made by them doing something with their tail feathers, since you can hear that sounds a lot when they hit eachother during their fake fighting frenzies, but I don’t know that they are actually hitting hard enough to make that cracking noise.

In case anyone doesn’t know about them making noises with tail feathers:

https://youtu.be/Biagyb7AcK8

Imgur makes it a pain to access the actual mp4 on mobile depending on your exact browser setup, but you can embed it if you know the filename:
https://imgur.com/yVds2Z8.mp4

That's neat, I wonder if the sound is something like a whip crack where they're switching direction abruptly enough for their tail to whip around?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Imgur makes it a pain to access the actual mp4 on mobile depending on your exact browser setup, but you can embed it if you know the filename:
https://imgur.com/yVds2Z8.mp4

That's neat, I wonder if the sound is something like a whip crack where they're switching direction abruptly enough for their tail to whip around?
I think that’s often what it is with some of the sounds I hear them making while fighting, when it’s obviously not a mating display.

They fan their tails periodically while flying, so maybe both parties are fanning their tails so that when one tackles the other, the speed makes that cracking sound? Since these aren’t mating displays, but do appear to be mostly non-serious fights, they wouldn’t sound the same as the hummingbirds: warrior junkies videos.

The girls all have 2 feathers with white dots in their tail feathers that are probably the specialized noise makers.

So what I’m thinking is that a lot of hummingbirds use the WWF type moves of making tons of noise to make everyone think they are hitting super hard.

Many of these appear to be play fighting, since I’ve seen them, like, hover a few inches away from each other while deciding what they actually want to do next. Or one will follow another to a tree and look at the other until it notices them and gives chase.

I think hummingbirds usually have 2 or 3 eggs in a nest. So most of these are probably sets of nest mates. They are also probably all Wee Mad Arthur’s children.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How often do you change out the feeders? Our honeysuckle died and until we replace it, the birds will stay away :(

IIRC the nectar can't be left for long before it harms them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I do a week at most, if it goes cloudy change it immediately. Being hot and in the sun will make it go bad quicker.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

It’s been daily since the latest generation of hummingbirds hit the feeders. Also, while the original hummingbirds were kind of leery of the refrigerated nectar until it warmed up, the new kids think refrigerated nectar is awesome.

None of them will use my diy hummingbird fountain, still, though. :(

Edit: another tree frog making use of a hollow pipe in a swing set for day time slumber.

I used some of the water from the hummingbird fountain to make a nice, unchlorinated frog bath, if he would like to take a soak prior to hunting tonight. Most of the tree frogs at my mom’s house soak in the water bowls she has around outside before they started their nightly hunt. Then they soak again before heading to bed in the morning.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 6, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Something happened to the caterpillars that were on my dill.

This was guarding my garbage can.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Very pretty. I guess we must've had some of those back home but I was subconsciously expecting the much lighter tiger swallowtails, they were the default version I remember seeing all the time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

caught this monster again, this time on dry land

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Very pretty. I guess we must've had some of those back home but I was subconsciously expecting the much lighter tiger swallowtails, they were the default version I remember seeing all the time.

We also get tiger swallowtails around as well. I think this particular one is male.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

FBS posted:

caught this monster again, this time on dry land

I love this guy's expression, like he knows he's cool.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Gamera, Gamera
He is filled with turtle meat
He knows that he's really neat

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A handsome cricket

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

This was from a few years ago but I untangled this lady from a spider web at work one night. Can still see a bit of it on the back left leg.

She hungout for a bit before I sent her off.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1131908946727288963/1137916590558560276/VID_20200729_215813_s01.mp4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alterian posted:

This was guarding my garbage can.

Oh hay I found one of those too, right next to my front steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

This was from a few years ago but I untangled this lady from a spider web at work one night. Can still see a bit of it on the back left leg.

She hungout for a bit before I sent her off.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1131908946727288963/1137916590558560276/VID_20200729_215813_s01.mp4

:unsmith: Glad she got out, mantises are cool and don't deserve to deal with spiders' bs.