Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So when you say to put raster graphics in a PDF, the benefits of PDF over straight raster like PNG are physical units/sizes, and a vector cut line?

e: "convert any text to paths" sounds very much like Solidworks' "dissolve sketch text", which would solve the font issue

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ryanrs posted:

So when you say to put raster graphics in a PDF, the benefits of PDF over straight raster like PNG are physical units/sizes, and a vector cut line?

e: "convert any text to paths" sounds very much like Solidworks' "dissolve sketch text", which would solve the font issue

Basically right, yes. I've run into scenarios where the receiving software will interpret some default DPI when viewing a raster image and change the physical size as a result. That's usually easier to fix if it's caught, though. The entire point of PDF (in theory, nothing's perfect) is to have the document/image viewable how you intend it to be, anywhere.

And right on the second bit, dissolving the text or converting it to regular vector paths in Inkscape eliminates the font issue. Much more important as you've figured out.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I swear, about 70% of the problems people post about on the Facebook fusion groups are related to fonts.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Fonts are a gently caress and no one gets them consistently right, even online vs desktop ms office products will render fonts totally differently. Different programs will somehow do different line weights/size/justification even with stock fonts in a universal file format.

I often use vector PDFs to share documents and it works pretty well as they seem to render correctly as a raster image but also you can often open them in illustrator and get full vector representation again for editing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yooper posted:

How is revisioning and group usage for OnShape? I've been the only designer in house using Fusion, but now that other people may have touch my designs, I'm seeing a pretty big black hole functionally.

I haven’t done anything too crazy, but I’ve fuggled a workspace (Onshape for active design window) with another guy working on it with me having it open too. I was designing, he was watching.

Revision is dope — you can see every single thing that’s been done (infinite undo history) and insert a revision from there with commenting. Branching is also available and AFAIK not a Fusion feature.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Wait are you saying onshape has an undo function that actually works?!?!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

lol you hosed with this curve 20 times and it still looks like poo poo

it's all on your permanent record

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Wait are you saying onshape has an undo function that actually works?!?!

Literal infinite undo, it’s pretty wild.

Property tax bill went up, got some medical bills coming up for NewFatSpouse so I threw in a job application for Onshape. Cross those fingers that they’ll bite for my desired salary.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I spoke to the OnShape people in 2013 when I first made an account. They called me up after I started playing around with the software and invited me over to see their place. I was living in Boston at the time so I could have walked like 6 blocks to get to their office. I regret not going bc they sounded like really cool and nice people.

Anyway, I hope that's still the case and that it works out for you. It sounded like a nice place to work. I was just 23 at the time and only had like a single year of design experience and no software experience.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm feeling really dumb in Fusion and I think something must have changed in the latest update. In sketches, my fractional inches always used to round to 32nds or 64ths and I feel like I could control that as a preference somehow, but now suddenly it is going all the way down to 256ths or 128ths if applicable and my brain just doesn't think in those units. I can still make it round to whatever unit in the drawings interface, but not in sketches.

My unit settings:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm feeling really dumb in Fusion and I think something must have changed in the latest update. In sketches, my fractional inches always used to round to 32nds or 64ths and I feel like I could control that as a preference somehow, but now suddenly it is going all the way down to 256ths or 128ths if applicable and my brain just doesn't think in those units. I can still make it round to whatever unit in the drawings interface, but not in sketches.

My unit settings:

It is part of the Document settings in the drawing itself.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yooper posted:

It is part of the Document settings in the drawing itself.
I figured out how to change it in the drawings workspace like you show, but am still having the issue in sketches in the design workspace.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I figured out how to change it in the drawings workspace like you show, but am still having the issue in sketches in the design workspace.

Doh! My bad, yes, I see what you mean. I usually work in decimal but yah, swapping to Fractional sticks me in 128th land.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I recently updated DraftSight and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the hell is wrong with it. The problem is that I pan with a middle-click and drag, and the model view just doesn't update/refresh/rebuild. I have to zoom in/out or rebuild it. It used to work just fine before this update, but I have NO idea what search terms to use to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I'm sure its some issue between it, drivers, and some personal setting that got reset or hosed up.

I hate this software but I just assume that everything else is worse. I'm forced into using it for 2D stuff, which I guess it could be worse.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

It's pretty sick that you use a flattened, crumpled piece of paper as a monitor

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Piling on the questions:

Has anyone here tried 3D Coat for digital sculpting? Is the interface any better than zBrush?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spaghett posted:

It's pretty sick that you use a flattened, crumpled piece of paper as a monitor
For some reason imgur was not wanting to upload a screenshot from my computer but would happily upload a terrible pic from my phone.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If y’all are doing 3DX stuff, I’ve been at the PDM Summer Camp all day and it’s been enormously useful. I’ve been getting a lot of info direct from the mothership and it’s filled in a lot of gaps.

https://www.meetup.com/PDM-SWUG-SolidWorks-User-Group/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My unit settings:

Welp, turns out I wasn't dumb and this is a known issue as of the update that came out yesterday. Talked to a very nice helpful guy at Autodesk tech support who said 'yep, that's been broken since yesterday, we're working on it, wish I could tell you a workaround but we don't have one right now'

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Adding wheels to my drill press. Lean it back and it becomes a hand truck, so I can move it around.

I'm working out the kinematics now. I think I need to measure my drill press's center of mass.

It would be cool to get a graph of the "handle weight" as the machine is tipped back onto the wheels. I wonder if that is something that basic Solidworks can spit out without the simulation add-on? Maybe yes because it doesn't involve calculating strains?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just spitballing, I’d guess that standing there, the center of mass is real close to right over the middle of the base plate, if you’re willing to assume they did a similar analysis as part of the design process that determined the size/shape of that plate.

But of course that only gets you a line, who knows where it is vertically. But hey you’re 2/3 of the way there! :haw:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I can roll a 1/4" steel rod under the base and find the balance point when the machine is standing vertical. Then I can tip it onto the back edge of the base, and find the angle where it balances on the edge. Assume left/right symmetry. That should be good enough, I think?

e: not sure if I can balance it in the front edge of the base, it has a stupid curve there

me determining the center of mass:

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 6, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, that’s gotta be close enough for your purposes. You’re not trying to land a shuttle, you just want to tip a drill press comfortably. You could surely wing the whole thing and get close enough, for that matter. Unless my sense of scale is comically off and that thing weighs like a literal ton, in which case, don’t do any of this.

e: Have you considered just putting it on an actual hand truck and saying, “yep, that feels pretty good, now I know where the wheels should be”

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 6, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

Adding wheels to my drill press. Lean it back and it becomes a hand truck, so I can move it around.

I'm working out the kinematics now. I think I need to measure my drill press's center of mass.

It would be cool to get a graph of the "handle weight" as the machine is tipped back onto the wheels. I wonder if that is something that basic Solidworks can spit out without the simulation add-on? Maybe yes because it doesn't involve calculating strains?

Oh look who's too cool to rock it back and forth to walk it around the shop.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If he’s actually cool he’ll put a little sidecar on it to hold any cordless drivers

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Ya balance it on each edge with an angle finder to see the balance angle. Then rough out the overall shape in cad and draw planes at each edge at each balance angle. they should come together close to the center of mass point.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OP, how many gallons of mercury do you have on hand?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t drop it while balancing tho.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Use your crane to hoist it up in the air twice and measure the angle of the dangle instead.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Next step, what's the design criteria?

The drill press will first pivot on the back edge of the base. Then once the wheels touch the floor, the pivot becomes the bottom of the wheel and/or the axle.

Whether the drill press wants to right itself or fall over backwards depends on the lean angle and which pivot is active. You could place the wheel so that the drill press is stable when perched on the back edge and the wheel. Is that good or bad?

The wheels do not affect how close you can park it to a wall, because the motor overhangs the back of the base by a lot.

e: Here are two examples I just thought of.

1) When leaning back a hand truck from vertical, you put your foot against a wheel to keep the hand truck from moving backwards. That will not be necessary for the drill press if the CoG is beyond the wheels by the time they touch the floor. In that case, the wheels will want to roll forward. This motion is different from a standard hand truck where the wheels are always in contact with the ground.

2) When rolling the drill press around, you want the natural carry angle to be such that the CoG is comfortably behind the wheel axle at all times. If the CoG bobs back and forth over the axle during normal walking and maneuvering, the drill press will alternate between wanting to fall back and wanting to 'stand up straight'. Managing those force reversals through the handle would be super annoying and bad ergonomics.

Corollary to (1) when parking a hand truck and standing it up straight, there's a little kick at the end where the wheels roll back a little and the load hits the ground. The drill press won't do that if the CoG is is still beyond the wheel axle when the edge of the base touches down.

OK, I think these constraints narrow the universe of possible wheel locations quite a lot.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 6, 2023

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

NewFatMike, I have an up-to-date Solidworks license, and I want to add Simulation. I was even tempted by the $658 price tag until I saw that wasn't even the annual license fee, that was for just 3 months. Is there some way I can get Simulation for less, even for maker/non-commercial use?

The problem with Simulation pricing for me is that it's not unlocking some major capability, it's for optimization. So I have to look at my projects and ask myself is there $2,194 worth of value to optimize a few personal projects a year? And there really isn't. The biggest value would be me learning and getting good at FEA. But as a $2k/yr ongoing subscription, ugh that is a lot of money.

SimulationXpress is cool, but extremely limited, even for something as simple as adding casters to my drill press. For example, I'll need some fidelity in simulating the bolted connections, because that's where the max stress will be.

Or I guess I can get OnShape Professional for $2,500/yr which is probably less than what I'm paying for no-simulation basic Solidworks. I note this would also allow me to ditch my Windows machine, which I only have for Solidworks. Hmm.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fusion costs waaay less than either of those and does include simulation stuff, though don’t have much personal experience with that part of it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

NewFatMike, I have an up-to-date Solidworks license, and I want to add Simulation. I was even tempted by the $658 price tag until I saw that wasn't even the annual license fee, that was for just 3 months. Is there some way I can get Simulation for less, even for maker/non-commercial use?

The problem with Simulation pricing for me is that it's not unlocking some major capability, it's for optimization. So I have to look at my projects and ask myself is there $2,194 worth of value to optimize a few personal projects a year? And there really isn't. The biggest value would be me learning and getting good at FEA. But as a $2k/yr ongoing subscription, ugh that is a lot of money.

SimulationXpress is cool, but extremely limited, even for something as simple as adding casters to my drill press. For example, I'll need some fidelity in simulating the bolted connections, because that's where the max stress will be.

Or I guess I can get OnShape Professional for $2,500/yr which is probably less than what I'm paying for no-simulation basic Solidworks. I note this would also allow me to ditch my Windows machine, which I only have for Solidworks. Hmm.

I'm not a sim guy, but if you have some keywords I can look through. Sounds about right for pricing, sadly. I believe Onshape only has static linear sim at the moment, but assembly mates are automatically read in the simulation kinematics which RULES. I know on 3DX sim offerings you have to call out screws and pins. They only added sim last year, so hopefully they'll have more types soon. Assembly mates are counted in the sim kinematics right away, though which RULES. I believe on 3DX stuff you have to call out screws and pins.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Fusion costs waaay less than either of those and does include simulation stuff, though don’t have much personal experience with that part of it.

It's fine, and they'll charge you more if you have difficult simulation that you want to run on Autodesk's servers. We've already talked a bunch on the last few pages that "not paying Autodesk" is a pretty solid incentive for folks that have been burned by them already. I did some generative design work on it a few years back and popped int something earlier to check it out, and it seems about the same.

I also tried firing up a BOM earlier today in Fusion for another project and it was not great. No customization or management tools (e.g. part numbers vs description vs names or any ways to reorganize the BOM). There are a lot of great tools in Fusion 360, but it positively flubs a lot of basics. OP wouldn't even be able to override the mass properties of his drill press in Fusion to run the sim correctly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NewFatMike posted:

I also tried firing up a BOM earlier today in Fusion for another project and it was not great. No customization or management tools (e.g. part numbers vs description vs names or any ways to reorganize the BOM). There are a lot of great tools in Fusion 360, but it positively flubs a lot of basics.
Yeah this is definitely an issue that I've noticed more. The drawings workspace just kind of sucks and is clunky as hell, and I wish it could spit out a dimensioned parts list without some insane addon or 3rd party app.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Do you need the Simulation Extension to do simple static stress analysis in Fusion? Because then it's $545 for base Fusion + $1,600 for Simulation = $2,145/yr.

Which is cheaper, but still seems like big money for hobby use.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Not being able to override mass properties is just like still completely bananas to me. You have to create a custom material if your part isn’t correct in there. It’s just baffling.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ryanrs posted:

Do you need the Simulation Extension to do simple static stress analysis in Fusion? Because then it's $545 for base Fusion + $1,600 for Simulation = $2,145/yr.

Which is cheaper, but still seems like big money for hobby use.

I think it will do some simulation in the basic one? I haven’t tried to use the simulation thing in a good while so they may have changed that.

E: I am also a complete idiot and the simulation thing didn’t do what I thought it would do anyway. I think if you’re looking for ‘will this thing fall over’ you can do that in the animation space. Simulation doesn’t let things move, it just analyzes stresses IIRC.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Also lmao at using MMO gold to obscure the fact that Tom Nook here is charging me $20 per sim run in the cloud.

e: no I need two separate things. The kinematics/motion/CoG stuff non-FEA which is easy and I can solve in my head. But I would use FEA simulation to determine how thick the sheet metal needs to be, deflection under load, and von mises stress to predict yielding, etc.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 8, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yah I’ve always done renderings etc. locally. I think you get some amount of autodesk money with a subscription? I know I did a cloud simulation once and it didn’t charge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Plain static stress analysis costs 0 cloud credits. Not sure if you need the Simulation Extension for those simple analyses, but maybe yes? Because Fusion's Simulation Extension costs nearly as much adding Simulation to Solidworks (the big cost difference is base Solidworks is a lot more expensive than base Fusion 360).