Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I think Mr. Bernard might be mistaken. The actual statistic seems to be "80% of Americans have not visited a Holocaust museum"

Personally, I'm skeptical of the effectiveness of this kind of virtual outreach.

I think when he said “Museum” (note the capitalization), that’s what he meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

veni veni venias

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maybe he meant only 20% of Americans had an exciting adventure overnight in a museum when all the exhibits come to life

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only overnight museum adventure I had was when me and my Boy Scout troop slept over at a museum and some of my troop mates threw water balloons at the night watchmen and we all got kicked out at 1AM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Things like DLSS3 are the modern day generational leaps you used to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5XYuuqgWg

Yeah, totally pointless.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

lmfao I can't believe this card will become reality in 2025

wotc just announced a Final Fantasy MTG product, marked as "tentpole", meaning it's probably a full set like the LOTR set, meaning we are probably getting an actual legitimate Sephiroth MTG card :unsmigghh:

It owns that magic the Gathering is now in all ways just tabletop Fortnite.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, totally pointless.

What non-pointless generational leap you expecting?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

A bunch of video games that are exclusive to the new consoles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Be realistic. Why should we expect games on a console.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gripweed posted:

It owns that magic the Gathering is now in all ways just tabletop Fortnite.
if the sets are as good as the LOTR set I'm all for it tbh. aside from a few outliers(the one ring, orcish bowmasters) it's a phenomenal set, especially for drafting

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinitum posted:

they're expecting some technological improvement along the lines of "you couldn't make this game on the last gen", like the ps2 vs super nintendo
but the last 2 console generations (and probably many future generations, unless some vr or motion gimmick catches on) have pretty much been "you could definitely make this game on the last gen console, it would just be less visually impressive"

which is a lot harder to care about

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Teaching those fortnight zoomers about the Holocaust

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't understand the conflating "pointless generation" with "it just runs and looks better". Is the argument that console games should just look progressively worse and run progressively shittier as consoles intentionally fail to keep up and that's a good thing? Sony gamers would really be happy with being limited to a 1080p 30fps Elden Ring and find the ability to play it at 4K 60fps pointless? I say that rhetorically as a Sony gamer myself but I'm happy as a clam with my PS5 that mostly just plays cross-gen games really well. If a game comes along that really needs the PS5 and nothing else to run, then that's cool, but I can't fathom such a thing existing because the tech in terms of what is possible is just not that different from other platforms and never will be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aren't most PS5 games unable to do both 4K and 60fps at the same time which is why they have the fidelity and performance modes

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Waffleman_ posted:

Aren't most PS5 games unable to do both 4K and 60fps at the same time which is why they have the fidelity and performance modes
Well it's often a sub-4K reconstructed signal but it's better than PS4, that's for drat sure.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Developers should do away with performance modes and make all games 4K 60fps and make whatever visual compromises they need to make

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they're expecting some technological improvement along the lines of "you couldn't make this game on the last gen", like the ps2 vs super nintendo
but the last 2 console generations (and probably many future generations, unless some vr or motion gimmick catches on) have pretty much been "you could definitely make this game on the last gen console, it would just be less visually impressive"

which is a lot harder to care about

I wasn't expecting that. I already said what I was expecting, new games that are only available on the current-gen systems.

You guys are the ones who take no games as a given and start talking about how shadows are 17% more defined on PS5 versions of PS4 games or whatever,

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

if the sets are as good as the LOTR set I'm all for it tbh. aside from a few outliers(the one ring, orcish bowmasters) it's a phenomenal set, especially for drafting

Same, as long as the cards are fun then the art and themes are eye candy. I get why it rubs folks the wrong way but Pandora's box has been opened and at least it's fun so far.

I wish they'd reinvest some of that back into their own IP, they used to put a lot more effort and extra non cards products about it. Supposedly making an MtG show they've not mentioned in years.

Also the UB set I want is Earth History.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

I wasn't expecting that. I already said what I was expecting, new games that are only available on the current-gen systems.

You guys are the ones who take no games as a given and start talking about how shadows are 17% more defined on PS5 versions of PS4 games or whatever,
But there are lots of games that are only available on the current-gen systems, and more coming out all the time. But it seems like you're saying you want games that not only are only available on the current-gen systems, but could never conceivably even be possible on previous-gen systems, which just isn't possible anymore. The Super Nintendo had obvious limitations in terms of what kind of things it could output to the screen and its computational power was extremely low. The next generations removed those limitations and thus opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Consoles haven't had any such limitations for generations now. With enough concessions to performance and fidelity, you could make basically any game for the PS3 generation. The things that new generations have to offer are going to be things like "loading times are lower than ever" and "we can push out more frames than ever would have been possible at this fidelity before". And the one thing that is genuinely newly possible, raytracing, has largely been met with disdain.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Volte posted:

I don't understand the conflating "pointless generation" with "it just runs and looks better". Is the argument that console games should just look progressively worse and run progressively shittier as consoles intentionally fail to keep up and that's a good thing? Sony gamers would really be happy with being limited to a 1080p 30fps Elden Ring and find the ability to play it at 4K 60fps pointless? I say that rhetorically as a Sony gamer myself but I'm happy as a clam with my PS5 that mostly just plays cross-gen games really well. If a game comes along that really needs the PS5 and nothing else to run, then that's cool, but I can't fathom such a thing existing because the tech in terms of what is possible is just not that different from other platforms and never will be.

Actually, we would have those superior games already if the xbox series s wasn't holding us back

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Volte posted:

But there are lots of games that are only available on the current-gen systems, and more coming out all the time. But it seems like you're saying you want games that not only are only available on the current-gen systems, but could never conceivably even be possible on previous-gen systems,

It really doesn't seem like I'm saying that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Video games cost more to make than ever but I'm cautiously optimistic that the next new console will solve this

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gripweed posted:

It really doesn't seem like I'm saying that.

idk what you mean then. you just want more games to be exclusives? and not get like backported or whatever?
armored core 6 is releasing on ps4 & ps5 in less than a month. if it was the exact same game but the ps4 release was deleted from time would you be happier with it? idgi

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 6, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idk why people thought there'd be bigger generational leaps at this point, diminishing returns was inevitable. like from SNES to PS1 we went from 2D to 3D, and since then it's just been better 3D each time. there's not a 4D or 5D or 6D to move to

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do Not Engage With Gripweed

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I want one billion troops and advanced AI

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

idk what you mean then. you just want more games to be exclusives? and not get like backported or whatever?

yeah. I want there to be more reasons for me to own a PS5 instead of a PS4, beyond the fact that it plays UHDs and at some point I'll be able to play Space Marine 2.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

armored core 6 is releasing on ps4 & ps5 in less than a month. if it was the exact same game but the ps4 release was deleted from time would you be happier with it?

yes.

Escobarbarian posted:

Do Not Engage With Gripweed

I don't understand why you people are having trouble understanding this. I said that there really wasn't a point to the PS5 since all the games on it can also be played on the PS4, and the response has been, "well of course, no one could possibly expect better games on the PS5 than were on the PS4", but somehow they're turning that into a disagreement with me? You are all agreeing with me, you're just doing it for some weird nerd reason that lets you talk about ray tracing and FPS.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 6, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hatty posted:

I want one billion troops and advanced AI
devs don't do advanced AI because enemies that are too smart would just piss players off and AAA games have to allow the lowest common denominator to see the majority of the content

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

what the fujck

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't get it. If you're happy playing games with dogshit visuals and performance than you should be thrilled with PS4's longevity.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Volte posted:

I don't get it. If you're happy playing games with dogshit visuals and performance than you should be thrilled with PS4's longevity.

OK if you think games on the PS4 looked like dogshit then you're either a full on moron or entirely arguing from a point of reflexive contrariness.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also the reason ps5 has so few exclusives is because Sony micromanaged JP Studio into a mass exodus and brain drain, and there's only the astrobot people there now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it's fine, the remaster of the last of us remake will be out soon

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The 7th Guest posted:

also the reason ps5 has so few exclusives is because Sony micromanaged JP Studio into a mass exodus and brain drain, and there's only the astrobot people there now

the reason is because nobody could even buy them during the pandemic due to silicon shortages etc, so the customer base is tiny compared to the ps4 base. and the "generational gap" in technology is too small to make it actually worth most dev's time developing a ps5 exclusive when they could go ps4+5 multiplat and get a way bigger base to sell to while the game stays basically just as good

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

OK if you think games on the PS4 looked like dogshit then you're either a full on moron or entirely arguing from a point of reflexive contrariness.
Yeah the PS4 output looks bad on my 4K TV. It also runs poorly and the load times are bad. There's a reason I didn't touch my PS4 for like two years before the PS5 came out. The last game I played on it was God of War 2018 and it was a struggle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If it has too much graphics for the switch, it has too much graphics

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The PS4 didn’t have too much going on in It’s third year either. It had Uncharted 4, FFXV, and the Last Guardian. PS5 had FFXVI and Spider Man 2, Pretty similar I’d say

cheetah7071 posted:

This

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the reason is because nobody could even buy them during the pandemic due to silicon shortages etc, so the customer base is tiny compared to the ps4 base. and the "generational gap" in technology is too small to make it actually worth most dev's time developing a ps5 exclusive when they could go ps4+5 multiplat and get a way bigger base to sell to while the game stays basically just as good

Right. So what we're circling back to, the point that you all agree with, is

Gripweed posted:

this console generation was completely pointless. They could've just kept chugging along with the PS4 and Xbox One and things would've been exactly the same.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sony are consistently pretty loud about how fast the system is selling, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I have now moved this bar, to anything that has too much graphics for the steam deck