Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

webmeister posted:

I dunno what you guys are watching but this game the US keep threatening while Sweden can’t string 3 passes together and barely get out of their own half

Sweden looked much better during the first 20 minutes, but yeah as soon as the ball got on to the swedish half it never really moved out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

habeasdorkus posted:

Wait, are you not even English? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Worse, I'm Polish.

This is the best US played all tournament. Sweden really need someone like van de Donk to kick the American speedsters into oblivion. Still can't really see the US beating Japan but they really improved.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

webmeister posted:

I dunno what you guys are watching but this game the US keep threatening while Sweden can’t string 3 passes together and barely get out of their own half

It def didn’t look like Sweden was playing all that well and I’d be worried that US not scoring while they had the momentum might bite them full in the rear end if Sweden’s able to make the appropriate halftime adjustments that seem to have escaped Vlatko so far this tournament.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Worse, I'm Polish.

This is the best US played all tournament. Sweden really need someone like van de Donk to kick the American speedsters into oblivion. Still can't really see the US beating Japan but they really improved.

I dunno. To me it looks like the US defense is explicitly set up to be mindful that Japanese style counter attack. They're not pushing high up. I think Japan could be fairly toothless against them.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

xeria posted:

It def didn’t look like Sweden was playing all that well and I’d be worried that US not scoring while they had the momentum might bite them full in the rear end if Sweden’s able to make the appropriate halftime adjustments that seem to have escaped Vlatko so far this tournament.

I really hope his halftime adjustment is bringing someone who is definitely not Rose Lavelle wearing a mustache as a disguise to try to fool the refs, what would give you that idea?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

whypick1 posted:

I really hope his halftime adjustment is bringing someone who is definitely not Rose Lavelle wearing a mustache as a disguise to try to fool the refs, what would give you that idea?

"No, ref, this hairband is fuschia, not pink."

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Mrenda posted:

I dunno. To me it looks like the US defense is explicitly set up to be mindful that Japanese style counter attack. They're not pushing high up. I think Japan could be fairly toothless against them.

japan didnt play counter attack last night. They dominated possession and choked norway to death. They can do both.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

I dunno wtf that is but no, short corners never loving work (to be fair, corners rarely work either)

Katie McCabe’s olimpico would like to disagree.

Haven’t been fully paying attention but even as rough as the performance has been, it’s still the best they’ve played so far. Having a midfield is useful, turns out.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope Sweden win, but the knowledge that a bunch of awful talking heads will be smug if the US team gets knocked out will make it tougher to enjoy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

japan didnt play counter attack last night. They dominated possession and choked norway to death. They can do both.

Third goal was a strong counter but yeah, for sure.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The USA will want to have scored that half

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I was thinking of the Spanish game. Credit where it's due the US defence looks solid, even if Sweden didn't show much past 20 minutes, but it looks like they're trying to play a complete defensive game to stop threats rather than work cohesively between both attack and defence.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, thassa yellow

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sweden's come out with a higher press, it's at least gotten them some touches in the US third.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was sure that was in. What a save.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

How did that not go in

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh drat

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Great save

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
nobody on earth can convince me that horan doesnt have a cockney accent

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Literally let Horan touch every ball and USA will certainly win this.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Naomi Girma has been quietly imperious at the back for the US.

Also, nothing in it ref!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ARRRGH, JUST FUCKIN' SHOOT.

Oh, offside anyways.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, quite offside fortunately/unfortunately.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
smith completely useless, much like the entire swedish team

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Will Vlatko be making a substitution this game

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Oh hey he did

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The USA will have wanted a goal by now

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
two bad teams

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
lucky to not get a yellow there

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

tristeham posted:

two bad teams

Who ever wins this will not see the final, thats for sure

(probably)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
kind of harsh on Rodman

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

skasion posted:

kind of harsh on Rodman

FOX commentators saying she's been playing while battling an illness, so probably for the best.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Uh oh, the Swedes have made Horan angry

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

This game has been scrappy and not in a good way, but at least the usa actually attacks sometimes.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Horan was fouled mercilessly in CL this year so this seems to be a general strategy nowadays.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'd be scared to foul Horan because most of the challenges I've seen done on her the other party winds up worse for wear.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Horan was fouled mercilessly in CL this year so this seems to be a general strategy nowadays.

it wasn’t even close to a foul there

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not a fan of this ref’s yellow whistle, every time they cut to her I think she’s about to book someone

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol if this comes down to a shootout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

webmeister posted:

Not a fan of this ref’s yellow whistle, every time they cut to her I think she’s about to book someone

I was just thinking this