Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So you see, that's where the trouble began. That smile. That damned smile.

Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Synder could use a dragon movie. Owl movie needed to be longer so we could see an owl team up to snap a dragon neck.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
H'Raka was pretty close. She was a Kryptonian-Barsoomian Dragon.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He also had an actual dragon. In Sucker Punch. It was dope.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

That's right

Time for me to watch Sucker Punch again...

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh dang that’s right. Makes sense why we have all been thinking about dragons now.

One day we will get directors cut of sucker punch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The 28 Days Later discussion reminded me of Sunshine, another Boyle/Garland collaboration, which is probably the first movie I ever saw that I loved way more than everyone else I knew. Man of Steel was the second. I'm a big fan of the Sun as a metaphor, apparently.

Sunshine is easily in my top 10, maybe top 5 movies ever. Everything just clicks so well for me and it was near perfect.

Also when I realized Chris Evan’s rules.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Snowman_McK posted:

As in, it aims to be a very straightforward genre film. It's not trying to challenge conventions, narrative or stylistic. It's not a measure of quality.

Sure, the hobbits are straightforward fantasy. Not sure how you're reaching the second conclusion there, all the framerate stuff and increasingly complex sfx would seem to qualify.

At some point you're gonna have to lay out this formula, otherwise we won't know how Desolation of Smog (or Tekken or w/e) "fail" it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, they aren't very tall

It's Peter "White's Only" Jackson's fault the hobbits can't jump

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wherever they set the bar, they really missed clearing it. Those three movies somehow made me like LOTR less.

That's understandable. I've never quite understood fans who feel the hobbits are some sort of departure from lotr; style, tone, amount of character+ plot changes from the books, etc - they're the same!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's Verminthrax Pejorative and I bet Zack Snyder would agree with me (I know that Guillermo Del Toro does) ;)

💯

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

That's understandable. I've never quite understood fans who feel the hobbits are some sort of departure from lotr; style, tone, amount of character+ plot changes from the books, etc - they're the same!

Both The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy are a strange combination of corny quaintness of having regular people as protagonists and action, where you have the heroes singing silly songs one moment while fleeing giant spiders the next. The LOTR movies still remembered that (especially in Fellowship), although they leaned more toward the action as the movies progressed. However, they still kept that quaintness of normal people (like Sam carrying Frodo when the latter was too weak to continue). The Hobbit trilogy just minimized most of those corny moments, and tried to turn it into a big action extravaganza. For me, the most memorable parts of The Hobbit are when Bilbo is just a homebody trying to use his wits to escape seemingly impossible situations (like his riddles with Gollum and encounter with Smaug). The fact that they tried to turn it into another massive war film with cameos by Galadriel and Legolas (lmao) just felt like it was missing the point.

However, I did like Balin, everything involving the city of Dale, and Smaug. Benedict gave a great performance as the dragon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there a good edit of the Hobbit films out there?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Topher Grace edited all of them down into one two hour movie but I don't think he ever made it available online.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The 28 Days Later discussion reminded me of Sunshine, another Boyle/Garland collaboration, which is probably the first movie I ever saw that I loved way more than everyone else I knew. Man of Steel was the second. I'm a big fan of the Sun as a metaphor, apparently.

Sunshine is a masterpiece!

MoS is funny because I see the flaws but the parts I love are so awesome, I don’t care.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

No. Watching a "Book Edit" made it very, very clear that outside of the first act, there just isn't anything to salvage. It's rotten to the core.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/zack-snyder-original-flash-movie-plan-jay-oliva

quote:

Zack Snyder’s Secret Plan for a Flash Trilogy and Surprise Supervillain, Revealed

“It was Professor Zoom pulling the strings because he had come from the future to basically f*ck with Barry,” Jay Oliva tells Inverse.

The DC Extended Universe is full of missed opportunities. Some, like Zack Snyder’s original vision for 2017’s Justice League, were eventually realized. But most will remain unfulfilled as the DCEU reboots itself into the DCU under the guidance of James Gunn. However, none of those missed opportunities is quite as disappointing as the fate of The Flash, which finally arrived after years of delays only to flop hard with fans and critics alike.

It didn’t have to be that way. And perhaps no one knows that better than Jay Oliva, a storyboard artist on several DCEU movies who also directed the acclaimed DC animated film Flashpoint Paradox.

“When we were doing Zack Snyder’s Justice League, I was instrumental in talking to those guys about how Flash was going to be and everything,” Oliva tells Inverse.

In a conversation timed to the 10th anniversary of Flashpoint Paradox, Oliva reveals the studio’s original plan for an entire Flash trilogy leading up to a Flashpoint crossover, along with the surprise Flash villain who would have been pulling the strings all along across the entire DCEU.

After directing Flashpoint Paradox, Oliva worked as a storyboard artist for the first four seasons of The CW’s The Flash, crafting most of the show’s action scenes. So when Warner Bros. decided to make a live-action Flash movie, Oliva was involved right from the start.

“I worked with Seth Grahame-Smith, the first director who was attached to The Flash,” Oliva says. “I did a storyboard for him. I did that test. I don't think I ever saw it, but it got the green light for the movie.”

When Grahame-Smith left the project in 2016 over “creative differences,” Oliva stuck around and Rick Famuyiwa came aboard as the new director.

“I worked with Rick for like six or seven months on that Flash movie, right up until Rick left [in October 2017],” Oliva says. “The cast was in London. They were building sets. When Rick left, I switched gears and did the reshoots for the ending of Wonder Woman.”

While little is known about Famuyiwa’s canceled Flash movie (the cast at times included Ray Fisher’s Cyborg and Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman), one thing is clear: it was nothing like the movie released in 2023.

“Rick's movie wasn't the Flashpoint movie,” Oliva says, before detouring into a brief DCEU history lesson. “Originally, there was supposed to be just Zack's five films and one side movie, which ended up being Suicide Squad.” But after the success of Man of Steel, Warner decided to go all in on its cinematic universe. “Rick's movie was going to be a series of films, just like Aquaman. I think all of those films, they were planning to be trilogies.”

The Flash movies would have been particularly important to the DCEU, however, because of a plan to introduce a classic DC villain: Eobard Thawne (aka, Professor Zoom or Reverse-Flash).

“Rick's movie was laying the groundwork for Zoom as the big baddy of the DC Universe,” Oliva says. “It was Professor Zoom pulling the strings because he had come from the future to basically f*ck with Barry. In the Flash movies, Zoom would be the villain in the background. But also in the ancillary other films, you would see some of the influences of Zoom on the rest of the Justice League.”

This all would have come to a head in a Flashpoint movie, which Zack Snyder revealed previously at a 2019 fan screening would have wrapped up his Superman-focused saga and served as a reboot for the entire franchise.

“At the ending of Zack's Darkseid quadrilogy, or whatever, we would end up with a Justice League Unlimited version of the Snyder-verse,” Oliva says, referencing the popular 2000s cartoon that featured a sprawling roster of DC superheroes. “And then you flip it. You do Flashpoint Paradox. Everybody who's friends are now enemies, and it's a world that you don't want to live in. You can reboot the universe and introduce a new cast that way. Because after 10 years, the actors need to go onto something else.”

For Oliva, that planned Flashpoint movie was also a chance to bring his original animated film to life, complete with its epic, world-destroying conflict between the Amazons and the Atlanteans. (In both the comic and the cartoon, the story hinges on a fatal love triangle involving Aquaman and Wonder Woman.)

“I wanted to really capture the grimness of the comic, but also lay the groundwork for adapting this as if it was a Marvel live-action film,” he says of his 2013 animated film. “I just thought that would've been fantastic. Can you imagine Jason Momoa fighting Gal Gadot and then having that love story?”

“All of the missed opportunities,” Oliva concludes, with a hint of whimsy. “Being a part of it was so exciting, and then having to shift gears and pivot. It's kind of sad. I would've loved to have seen it get to this point.”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah in retrospect it's so lame that they took like they one interesting hook from the Flashpoint story (Professor Zoom is who went back in time to murder Barry's mom) and just made it a home invasion.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm sorry I cannot for the life of me imagine taking a "Professor Zoom" seriously lmao is his superpower being fun in online meetings?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tell me, do you buffer?

You won't

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

Tell me, do you buffer?

You won't
Remember when your microphone kept going on mute and everyone starting teasing you about it? It was me Barry.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

I'm sorry I cannot for the life of me imagine taking a "Professor Zoom" seriously lmao is his superpower being fun in online meetings?

Professor Zoom, or as he's known in his personal life, Jeffrey Toobin.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I think the true surprise reveal is that Professor Zoom has been loving with Barry by loving with WB and the DC cinematic universe plans...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Simply Simon posted:

The name of the character is The Flash, what do you want?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
"I'm not going to call you Professor Zoom, that's ridiculous."

"Well, you can call me by my first name if you want."

"What's that?"

"Eobard."

"So anyway, Professor Zoom..."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Point is, everything Snyder related sounds like it'd have been a great get compared to what we are experiencing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

Sure, the hobbits are straightforward fantasy. Not sure how you're reaching the second conclusion there, all the framerate stuff and increasingly complex sfx would seem to qualify.

At some point you're gonna have to lay out this formula, otherwise we won't know how Desolation of Smog (or Tekken or w/e) "fail" it.

Look, I've tried to explain it about three times now and you're not getting it. Either I'm completely wrong or I'm just terrible at explaining it so I'm going to drop it.

feedmyleg posted:

No. Watching a "Book Edit" made it very, very clear that outside of the first act, there just isn't anything to salvage. It's rotten to the core.

I'm going to disagree here. In the battle scenes in the first and third film, and in some of the mirkwood scenes, in the set pieces from the book, you can see something good: A goofy, over the top, highly stylised take on the story. There's a shot from the battle flashback in the first one as the armies meet, backlit by the sun, that could be straight out of 300. The 'Twirly Whirlies' the Dwarves use to shoot down the Elven arrows (that, of course, disappear straight after, like all the other cool ideas) I can easily imagine appearing in Warhammer Fantasy Battle or DnDs more steampunk settings. The bit where Legolas decapitates 200 orcs while hanging upside down from a giant bat would be great as a Mel Brooks bit if he was parodying the Romance of the Three Kingdoms or something. There are flashes of an enjoyable film, one where Bilbo, worried his audience is getting bored, is constantly making poo poo up and exagerrating. But they're stuck in the same movie as an imperfect recreation of Lord of the Rings' lived in fantasy realism, the hobbit book's generally more whimsical, fairy tale tone, and also a grim movie where all the good guys are constantly threatening to kill each other if the other betrays them, plus stuff that only works as a prequel to LOTR and whatever the gently caress Alfred was supposed to be. Also the whole thing is 9 loving hours long.

It's a film with an incomplete vision so for every scene where they had a good idea for it and executed it well, there's five others that either sort of worked but were quite clearly just a 'good enough' execution from people who didn't have enough time or energy.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 5, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PriorMarcus posted:

I watched a 4 hour cut a little while that I enjoyed well enough. I didn't mind the films as is though, so YMMV!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The first two were fine imo but I hated part three. And even the second one the rushed nature of their production really started to show towards the end.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hobbit trilogy has good scenes that don't add up to good films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm going to disagree here. In the battle scenes in the first and third film, and in some of the mirkwood scenes, in the set pieces from the book, you can see something good: A goofy, over the top, highly stylised take on the story. There's a shot from the battle flashback in the first one as the armies meet, backlit by the sun, that could be straight out of 300. The 'Twirly Whirlies' the Dwarves use to shoot down the Elven arrows (that, of course, disappear straight after, like all the other cool ideas) I can easily imagine appearing in Warhammer Fantasy Battle or DnDs more steampunk settings. The bit where Legolas decapitates 200 orcs while hanging upside down from a giant bat would be great as a Mel Brooks bit if he was parodying the Romance of the Three Kingdoms or something. There are flashes of an enjoyable film, one where Bilbo, worried his audience is getting bored, is constantly making poo poo up and exagerrating. But they're stuck in the same movie as an imperfect recreation of Lord of the Rings' lived in fantasy realism, the hobbit book's generally more whimsical, fairy tale tone, and also a grim movie where all the good guys are constantly threatening to kill each other if the other betrays them, plus stuff that only works as a prequel to LOTR and whatever the gently caress Alfred was supposed to be. Also the whole thing is 9 loving hours long.

It's a film with an incomplete vision so for every scene where they had a good idea for it and executed it well, there's five others that either sort of worked but were quite clearly just a 'good enough' execution from people who didn't have enough time or energy.

All of that feels like evidence supporting my point. There's flashes of goodness in it, yes, but the point is there's no separating the good from the bad. There's no salvaging it in an edit because there's nothing to salvage. Even the "good scenes" aren't wholly good, and no edit can make them be so. No matter how much of the cheese you slice off, it's still all got mold in it.

The tone and approach is just a fundamentally bad fit for the material.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The only attempt I made at watching the Hobbit was when my wife's coworker invited us over for a viewing of the first film when the second was releasing, and I fell asleep for most of it. It was like a Saturday morning cartoon told by the production team from Lord of the Rings. No tension, no drama, action had no weight to it. Just things happening on screen for the sake of happening.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well-put. Instead of just going with a light and breezy tone like the book, they went with an incredibly cartoony zany tone which they tried to balance out by also going darker and ended up with a total whiplash of a trilogy.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
also its incredibly loving boring for very large stretches.

lee pace as a pissed off genderfluid elf king with a sick moose mount was really good though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

shoeberto posted:

The only attempt I made at watching the Hobbit was when my wife's coworker invited us over for a viewing of the first film when the second was releasing, and I fell asleep for most of it. It was like a Saturday morning cartoon told by the production team from Lord of the Rings. No tension, no drama, action had no weight to it. Just things happening on screen for the sake of happening.

Real insult to Saturday morning cartoons, those actually have enough breezy excitement to keep kids interested for 20 minutes. It's grown-up entertainment that thinks it has to be dull and plodding to be taken seriously.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What is this, a hobbit moon.

Apparently Man of Steel trailer played before the first hobbit film. I think I remember that…

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I enjoyed everything about the shark orc in the Hobbit, who only spoke black speech and was so headstrong that he didn't even like to listen to Sauron. You can really root for this character, especially if you dislike most or all of the dwarves, and be rewarded for your investment.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I saw BvS for the first time this weekend (the long version) and thought “wow, this movie is fantastic, no wonder you guys are so frustrated all the time”

And it is frustrating to me too, now. Like with Lex Luthor, particularly: a lot of the criticism I’ve read of his portrayal doesn’t really engage with how Classic!Luthor couldn’t really work in the movie. Batman is already taking up the space where most of his motivation might be— if Lex and Bruce are too similar then it starts to warp the story. They have to be very different or the movie starts to become about that comparison. You can’t just start changing individual bits of a movie like that and expect the whole structure to hold.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Aside from the ultimate edition making the facts of Luthor's puppeteering a little too straightforward, my main complaint about BvS is that Lex should've just had his hair fall out "naturally" from exposure to cosmic horror rather than getting it shaved off in prison.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Aside from the ultimate edition making the facts of Luthor's puppeteering a little too straightforward, my main complaint about BvS is that Lex should've just had his hair fall out "naturally" from exposure to cosmic horror rather than getting it shaved off in prison.

Him standing before doomsday with Charlie brown hair

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I mean, Kryptonite is radioactive growth from another planet. It makes a certain kind of fairy tale sense if his obsession with destroying Superman begins to corrupt him physically, starting with hair loss from Kryptonite exposure. I think a few versions of the character have actually gotten full-on cancer from it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robot Style posted:

I mean, Kryptonite is radioactive growth from another planet. It makes a certain kind of fairy tale sense if his obsession with destroying Superman begins to corrupt him physically, starting with hair loss from Kryptonite exposure. I think a few versions of the character have actually gotten full-on cancer from it too.

Yeah, the comics once and the DCAU had Lex get cancer from carrying unshielded Kryptonite around all the time. It's even foreshadowed in the DCAU; the World's Finest teamup involved a 'jade' dragon statuette that turned out to be made from Kryptonite, whose owners had all died mysteriously. I think Smallville also has Lex's hair fall out from exposure to Kryptonite.

It's a fun little touch and I think possibly a riff on how casually Kryptonite was treated in the Silver Age, also in the age of radium makeup and such. They've also played with how Kryptonite can be used other than to harm Kryptonians (even besides abovementioned Smallville using it as an all-purpose plot device like Red Kryptonite) like as a power source, hence Metallo being a powerful threat particularly to Superman but also to everyone else due to being basically a Kryptonite-powered cyborg.