Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite is the AC5 intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6QU2i6-BQc
I like the scenes of them just working on weapons.

AC4 intro was pretty sweat as well for semi realistic looking AC action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEr0duMNMTY

And the AC2 intro was the first time it made an impression on me as a kid. I love how the sick techno beat drops just as it bursts out of its reentry pod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZV7X94UFA

Frankly I feel like I'm a bigger fan of AC intros than the actual games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Crazy Achmed posted:

The short stages and the tinkering and upgrades bring central to the gameplay always reminded me of tyrian and raptor as well - although the ammo restrictions end up being very different. But the loop of earning money and getting new, shiny upgrades definitely scratches the same itch, so hopefully there's enough variety of parts available.

Actually, the other thing I'm hoping for is making sure all the decent-tier weapons are actually viable. Like there's a niche for slightly crap weapons for players to use while starting out, but they need to fix stuff like machine guns that only carry enough ammo to do like 2500AP damage total, assume every single shot hits target. Like what the hell were those even for? I guess maybe a quad that relies mostly on shoulder cannons?

Yeah I would like to be able to use parts and weapons that both look cool/fit my build visually but are also viable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm not sure if I read it right cause its from soft style and left up to interpretation but what little I played of 4 had a lot of missions for White Africa which it mentions has a lot of leftover military emplacements from it's ethnic cleansing war and the first AC you fight is a hero of the anti-establishment rebel group who has a name that sounds Moroccan to me.

Putting all that together... Uhhhhh

The setting is incredibly bleak but also makes a decent amount of sense. I particularly like how the corporations dismantle all the nation states but then use their names presumably because of brand recognition.
That feels very true

I love how bleak the franchise is, reminds me of warhammer 40000 in a good way.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Big Bizness posted:

Wow, the light reverse legs in ACV are pretty OP huh

Oh really? Because of the improved jumping ability (which seems like it would be extremely good in this gen 5 in particular to get around)?

Personally, I'm rockin heavy bipedal legs because kicking things is my new favorite thing in this game. I can take an AC from full health to dead with one or two boost kicks (assuming that they aren't just a super evasive piece of poo poo), and it's so good. I love this.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Well, I've bought a controller specifically for a game for the first time in my life. I got an xbox elite for the paddles in the hope that I can use them for boosting and whatnot. Also I hate anything tied to stick-clicks as I always press those when things get slightly intense.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Not sure who this guy is but these are some interesting fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c00B8jjUMbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSJGv7nn7KI

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 6, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I remapped AC1's controls to something close enough to modern that my brain could handle it and blasted through 20 missions until I passed out. They were really on to something, the shop-assemble-mission loop is way addictive. Combat feels awesome now that I have a faster assembly and know how to use boost. Honestly it cries out for a remake. Just modernize the controls and visuals even a little and people would be eating this up.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

XavierGenisi posted:

Oh really? Because of the improved jumping ability (which seems like it would be extremely good in this gen 5 in particular to get around)?

Yeah, you reach insane heights and can deal death from above to enemies who can't aim that high. The only downside to it so far is that one of the city maps that has a ridiculously low vertical out of bounds zone. The buildings reach up into it, meaning you fail the mission if you go too high up. You cant climb some of them with any AC - forget about jumping off the top to reach massive heights. Pretty ridiculous.

acksplode posted:

I remapped AC1's controls to something close enough to modern that my brain could handle it and blasted through 20 missions until I passed out. They were really on to something, the shop-assemble-mission loop is way addictive. Combat feels awesome now that I have a faster assembly and know how to use boost. Honestly it cries out for a remake. Just modernize the controls and visuals even a little and people would be eating this up.

AC1 kicks rear end and is definitely one of the best in the series. The gameplay loop is dope as you said, plus the PS1 era aesthetic is my favorite. Colorful 90s cyberpunk dystopia with awesome jungle tracks to soundtrack it. Things are bad for humanity but there's a feeling of kicking rear end and eventually making a positive difference and destroying the corporations, in contrast to the later games where the relentless existential bleakness is not quite as appealing to me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I was genuinely surprised how much I like AC1. I was kinda expecting it to be an extremely flawed early title, but it's pretty much a great ride from start to finish.

I think the only major complaint is just a lack of variety in parts. Particularly for 2 legged cores; if you want to avoid kneeling you really only get missiles and rockets for back weapons.

I'm probably gonna finish it up this week, I just need to make the time to finish the final mission.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'd also say it makes a rough first impression. The garage test is tough enough on your starting AC that I could see people bouncing off right there, if not at the first few very basic missions that pretty much serve as blank space to let you get a feel for the controls. It takes too long to get to your first upgrade, that's when I got hooked. You can't really grasp the full potential until you see what a single equipment swap can do to combat.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember some platforming at the end of AC1 that made me want to die.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i like to play games as "legit" as i can because i have more fun that way, and even i had to save state during that last mission

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

The giant platforming shaft at the end of AC1 is total dogshit and is a a real shame that the game stumbles like that at the very end like that. Once you get into the groove of what AC1 is doing, it's still pretty drat great. Yeah, later games would improve on the formula and be easier to get into and all that, but AC1 holds up very well in general.

Except for the cube platforming shaft. I still got it on the first try on my recent replay, but it still loving sucks, no question about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
A question just occurred to me. Does anybody know if the tank treads are going to force traditional tank controls, meaning left / right turning and moving forward (pressing Up on the Left stick) will be vehicle relative as opposed to the standard camera relative means of control?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 6, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GreatGreen posted:

A question just occurred to me. Does anybody know if the tank treads are going to use traditional tank controls, meaning left / right turning and forward or pressing Up on the Left stick will be vehicle relative as opposed to the standard camera relative means of control?

i think w, a, s and d will work just fine

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kesper North posted:

i think w, a, s and d will work just fine

Sorry if I wasn’t being clear. I know they will work. I’m just asking how they’ll work when you’re using tank treads. Will controls still be camera relative like they are with the other leg types or will they change to be “tank” relative?

People have commented that they feel different than other leg types, but that could just mean they’ll roll farther when you let go of the controls, or that there’s a higher minimum turn radius or something.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 7, 2023

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

A question just occurred to me. Does anybody know if the tank treads are going to force traditional tank controls, meaning left / right turning and moving forward (pressing Up on the Left stick) will be vehicle relative as opposed to the standard camera relative means of control?

It never ever works like that. The different leg types have different movement feel and different properties (ie quad legs and tank legs let you use any back weapons without stopping, reverse-joint has greatly enhance jumping capabilities compared to all other leg types, etc), but none of them ever completely change how the basic controls work.

EDIT:

GreatGreen posted:

Sorry if I wasn’t being clear. I know they will work. I’m just asking how they’ll work when you’re using tank treads. Will controls still be camera relative like they are with the other leg types or will they change to be “tank” relative?

People have commented that they feel different than other leg types, but that could just mean they’ll roll farther when you let go of the controls, or that there’s a higher minimum turn radius or something.

Tank legs are generally slow and heavy. You can't equip a booster part, and instead have to rely on whatever built in booster the legs have. Their turning speed is usually a bit crap, and unless you're relying on overboost or the like, you're gonna be taking it slow. In older games especially, vertical movement ain't really happening with tanks. You *can* do it, but compared to other leg types, it's gonna be pretty dogshit, as you'll be slow and your legs' built in booster won't be anywhere near as good as a dedicated booster part.

The real benefits to tank legs are that to make up for your worse mobility, they are they have the best armor and the best load limits, letting you set yourself up to be a defensive powerhouse, so that you can take punishment and deal enormous amounts of damage via the powerful heavy weapons you can carry. And like I mentioned before, you can use any back weapons without having to stop and brace yourself. Bipedal and Reverse joint (and hover type when they were a thing) legs, you had to stop and ready yourself before you could fire any chainguns or slug guns, or whatever cannons you had equipped on your back slots. They can freely use any missiles or rockets without any problems, but all other back weapons needed you to stand still in order to actually fire. Tank legs (and quad legs) don't care. You're a loving tank, so plow on through and start blasting with all your heavy weapons to your heart's content.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 7, 2023

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

XavierGenisi posted:

It never ever works like that. The different leg types have different movement feel and different properties (ie quad legs and tank legs let you use any back weapons without stopping, reverse-joint has greatly enhance jumping capabilities compared to all other leg types, etc), but none of them ever completely change how the basic controls work.

Fantastic, glad it works that way.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Tank legs are situational but there will absolutely missions and duels where the go to strat is to race your opponent's health down without it finesse. Pretty sure I beat AC1 with tank treads because you can tank 9ball going up the shaft and then trade with it with grenade launchers in the tunnel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arzaac posted:

I was genuinely surprised how much I like AC1. I was kinda expecting it to be an extremely flawed early title, but it's pretty much a great ride from start to finish.

I think the only major complaint is just a lack of variety in parts. Particularly for 2 legged cores; if you want to avoid kneeling you really only get missiles and rockets for back weapons.

I'm probably gonna finish it up this week, I just need to make the time to finish the final mission.

The back weapon limit is one of the things you can get around with Human Plus, for whatever that's worth. And losing the back weapons is more than compensated for with the Karasawa being biped exclusive in terms of sheer damage output.

Ten heads, three cores, sixteen arms (including 8 weapon arm sets), 24 legs, 6 boosters, 8 FCS, 7 generators, 34 back weapons, 15 right arm weapons, and 4 laser swords is a pretty decent spread for a first game, I think, even if it could use more guns. It just looks like a limited selection because of how overkill the series gets later on.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah that's fair, it's definitely an impressive array of stuff for its time. I think the back weapons thing just got to me because on quad/tank legs you get to fire Laser Cannons, Plasma Cannons, Chain Guns, Pulse Cannons, Slug Guns, Linear Guns, and Grenade Launchers without kneeling, and bipedal legs only get missiles, rockets, and bomb launchers. Granted, there are a lot of different types of missiles, but the difference in variety just felt really lopsided to me.

Also maybe it's just me but I really don't care for the Karasawa very much. It does have really high damage, but its low ammo count and high weight (on legs that can't support that much weight to begin with) meant that I would really rather just use quad legs and run like, a chain gun, a plasma cannon, and a pulse rifle or machine gun in my main hand.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Yeah that's fair, it's definitely an impressive array of stuff for its time. I think the back weapons thing just got to me because on quad/tank legs you get to fire Laser Cannons, Plasma Cannons, Chain Guns, Pulse Cannons, Slug Guns, Linear Guns, and Grenade Launchers without kneeling, and bipedal legs only get missiles, rockets, and bomb launchers. Granted, there are a lot of different types of missiles, but the difference in variety just felt really lopsided to me.

Also maybe it's just me but I really don't care for the Karasawa very much. It does have really high damage, but its low ammo count and high weight (on legs that can't support that much weight to begin with) meant that I would really rather just use quad legs and run like, a chain gun, a plasma cannon, and a pulse rifle or machine gun in my main hand.

50 shots. More than enough to kill anything that moves.

I guess it's my natural ammo stinginess that helped there. If you watch your fire, 50 high power shots cause a lot of destruction, even if you might want something else for the marathon missions.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

chiasaur11 posted:

I guess it's my natural ammo stinginess that helped there. If you watch your fire, 50 high power shots cause a lot of destruction, even if you might want something else for the marathon missions.

I found it was fine, you just need to plan your shots, 50 doesn't matter when you kill your enemies in one shot primarily.

This is as someone who rejects human plus, uses heavy biped legs and likes grenade launchers and other heavy weaponry.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It's amazing to think that Chris Roberts could actually make good games.

I actually remember starlancer being pretty good though.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 7, 2023

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Arzaac posted:

I remember when my friends and I first tried out the little stubby back-mounted plasma cannon - it looks so unassuming, but then you fire the thing and realise it hurls massive exploding plasma shots at a rate of fire high enough to bring the playstation to its knees. Something like 1000+ points of damage per shot at a rate of fire of like 3 bolts per second and like an 80-shot magazine. After I found that thing, I never wanted anything but quad legs again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I beat Nexus with Megalodon, my tanky tank with gatling, sniper rifle and the giant energy cannon

by the end all the various corpos end up completely loving themselves then activating some old doomsday weapon that you fail to stop and the game ends with you hopelessly fighting against millions of suicide drones they unleashed
I really liked how the various corps are struggling and fighting the whole game over this tech then in the last few missions theyr all retreating or being destroyed begging you to turn it off
theres some nice foreshadowing the whole game of weird poo poo underground but the game does a good job of misleading you into thinking its some corpo or other doing sneaky stuff and welp we found out what it is.

the budget military corp tries to withdraw from the war early on (cause their profit margins are too low) and ends up collapsing in a coup as HQ and the military side of them fight over that decision
the smaller corp that kicks off a lot of the hostilities trying to fight the giant one tries to hide in the mines which turn out to be where the doomsday weapon is and gets completely destroyed
the biggest corp is like "haha finally, lets go finish the job!" chases after them and are never seen again
then the "lets all study and activate the doomsday weapon" corp is the last one remaining and begs you to turn it off

gonna start Last Raven now, how hard can it be?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's amazing to think that Chris Roberts could actually make good games.

I actually remember starlancer being pretty good though.

My main memory is being fairly impressed that they managed to map 20+ functions onto the Dreamcast controller through the use of double taps, holds, conditionals and button combinations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah that's probably fair. I just ended up never using it that much because I found it much easier to justify the plasma cannon, plus a chain gun, plus whatever main weapon struck my fancy. Usually an energy weapon or machine gun, but I did start breaking out the gatling arms when I had more money than sense.

Anyways I did 100% the game! Very, very fun, I feel like the only missions I didn't care for that much were Guard the Train and Floating Mines. Overall a really really solid first entry. Think I'm gonna keep going through the psx games.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's hard :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Get used to ACs landing on your head and staying there

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

most interesting thing to me here is the confirmation that you can get really goofy with the paintjobs

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I finished the story missions for Armored Core V last night, and I was just kind of surprised by how drat short it is. And how much of a hot mess the story is. It's just too short and not really elaborated on in any particular way. You just get the broad strokes of what's happening, and that's mostly it. There's certainly some interesting aspects to the setting, but the whole experience feels like an afterthought. The story missions themselves also just feel a bit too long in general, not helped by the wonky difficulty at times, with some encounters feeling more built for co-op than a single player, and also some honestly quite annoying checkpointing in some of them. The order missions helped balance things out, by being way shorter, bite-sized missions that felt more enjoyable, but also they felt too brief, and too filler-y, not helped that they canonically take place *after* the main story. I think there was about 80 of those missions, and I got through 50 of them before I inadvertently ended up blazing through the rest of the story missions. And by the time I hit the very abrupt end of the main story, I just wasn't interested in doing the last 30 of those.

ACV is still definitely better than I expected, given how the impression I kept getting of it was that it was easily one of the worst games in the series. It's definitely not the worst game in the series, but as a single player game, it's got too many problems. That being said, the basic gameplay is genuinely pretty fun. I do enjoy the walljumps to gain height as a mechanic, and boost kicks are my new favorite thing. I do like the ability to carry up to four arm weapons and being able to swap between them freely. Scan mode is, while honestly clunky and leans a bit much into the new armor system (I don't like the armor system and how it affects your weapon loadouts, effectively discouraging you from even using particular weapons unless you're already familiar with the mission and know what you're up against, it's a bad change), it's still an interesting replacement for the radar. Honestly, it's genuinely pretty interesting seeing all these changes and additions that AC6 will include, and finding out that ACV essentially introduced them to the series to begin with.

I'd say that I'd personally rank it like, below AC4, but better than Another Age and Project Phantasma. It's definitely at the low end of the series, but it does have some pretty interesting ideas, and I'm interested to see how Verdict Day builds off of it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Renaissance Robot posted:

most interesting thing to me here is the confirmation that you can get really goofy with the paintjobs

the first comment on the Wallclimber video posted:

imagine giving your life to defend your hometown and getting killed by a 30 foot tall fisher price toy

I want to see how nuts people get with the emblem maker this time around. You have to have an emblem that is at least close to as hosed as your color scheme or you aren't playing right.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Get used to ACs landing on your head and staying there

mainly they just absolutely shred me in 10 seconds flat. i beat some arena ACs but the mission ACs have uniformly kicked me rear end. I only managed to kill a single one and then a garage door opened and that fucker pin fire came out, except its his son rim fire (lol) and blasted me to hell and i quit the mission

so far i've just been scrambling about doing the easiest missions that dont have any enemy ACs in them. bullying hapless MTs and trucks and lumbering around the sewers. which kinda feels lore accurate lol its like im playing deprived or a particularly lovely rebel raven. i'm a bright red hovor tank called Ladybug and all the cool ACs are bullying me
it makes that evangel guy funny since hes emailing me like "you think you're such a big shot huh???" and his little description says hes a lovely blowhard
my tank dps builds just dont work in this one, i die too fast. I'm gonna have to learn to zip about i imagine but i dont know how to build for that in these ps2 games yet

the AC missions remind me of those levels you'd get in soulsborneringkiro games, particularly the dlcs, where the game has been firm but fair and then they take the gloves off and make a horrible gauntlet level to show you how mean they can really be.
i'm like "but... its meant to be honourable 1v1 combat where i shoot my cannon at them 5 times" except now theres adds, my lockon is being scrambled and a lady is mocking me as she shoots 200 missiles at my face and leaps off camera

e: if any ravengoons wanna reccomend me some weapons or builds that can hurt ACs thatd be helpful

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 8, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

One thing that I have really enjoyed going through the series, and it's something I really didn't think I would, was tracking ammo and building AC's with ammo restrictions in mind. It's all well and good having a plasma cannon that can 3 shot an enemy AC but if you have to wade through 120+ disorder units to get to that AC it's not going to have much use.

I found myself constantly watching ammo in some longer missions. It feels a lot like the sentry gun scene in Aliens where you just see the ammo count ticking down constantly and then you are dry and there is one aircraft still circling overhead.

I feel like this isn't as big a deal in 4? Haven't gotten there yet though - just starting 3 tonight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

One thing that I have really enjoyed going through the series, and it's something I really didn't think I would, was tracking ammo and building AC's with ammo restrictions in mind. It's all well and good having a plasma cannon that can 3 shot an enemy AC but if you have to wade through 120+ disorder units to get to that AC it's not going to have much use.

I found myself constantly watching ammo in some longer missions. It feels a lot like the sentry gun scene in Aliens where you just see the ammo count ticking down constantly and then you are dry and there is one aircraft still circling overhead.

I feel like this isn't as big a deal in 4? Haven't gotten there yet though - just starting 3 tonight.

It depends. 4 and For Answer tend to have shorter missions, but I've run out of ammo from time to time when I didn't plan things out well.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Which Goon is gonna have the ugliest fuckin mech I wonder?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think I'm going to stick with the boring generic default khaki that the other Hounds seem to use. Gotta show class solidarity and look like the downtrodden slave-soldier I am.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
using a slightly different gunmetal grey and oohing and aahing over it like patrick bateman if he were a mech pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

using a slightly different gunmetal grey and oohing and aahing over it like patrick bateman if he were a mech pilot

There's even a carbon fiber texture...it's immaculate.