Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
obligitory to the last few pages of discussion

I was just shown this monument to huffing lead fumes:

It looks unreal but it's probably due to whatever postprocessing they use to erase all the cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Erase all the cars, you say?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Harik posted:

It looks unreal but it's probably due to whatever postprocessing they use to erase all the cars.

Honestly I've driven down that stretch a hundred times and it's never really stood out to me, though I would never get off at any of those exits because gently caress driving in Chicago. Traffic is also pretty slow there which helps.

Speaking of Chicago, you can take your bike on some of the light rail into the city, so I'm currently trying to plot a route from downtown to my house, about 40 miles altogether, almost all on bike trails. Burning nothing but calories.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Harik posted:

It looks unreal because it's google earth

e: it's kinda a bummer chicago which is way above par for us cities is still p car centric

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Aug 5, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Went for a bike ride to the beach with wife while on vacation

Saw a bike (not pictured) with really weird construction off to the side and figured out it was for transporting a surf board

Edit: bike lanes absolutely everywhere here and hundreds of bikes locked up at the beach.

Mauser has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Aug 5, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goodkidbikecity/status/1687483729038737408?t=jQOkhmHTNBtV0kdGgJxp1A&s=19

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
I was biking by a mcd's drivethru recording the stupid traffic and caught this little whoopsie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25ehZiTRnU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Harik posted:

A decade ago I biked down one of those on ramps, crossed 4 lanes of traffic and exited. Not sure how I lived

Had to get to work while Chicago Marathon was on, didn't want to destroy people's run by cutting through the route so I went under. For some reason the L and lower Wacker were also unavailable

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Kicked Throat posted:

I was biking by a mcd's drivethru recording the stupid traffic and caught this little whoopsie

just 10 cars parked in the bike lane waiting for drivethru as one does

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:lol:

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1687806911306231808

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
cars have ruined the weekends in the USA. every american family decides to get in the car and spend all day driving which means even non drivers must still subjected to the noise, violence, and lovely air of pervasive car culture

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

don't worry. the police are doing it too so it must be ok

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kicked Throat posted:

where in Minneapolis is this?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
24th and Nicollet

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

the bite lane

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

cars have ruined the weekends in the USA. every american family decides to get in the car and spend all day driving which means even non drivers must still subjected to the noise, violence, and lovely air of pervasive car culture

Sunday morning is the best time to go for a bike ride in my city. Outside of the farmers market there are barely any pedestrians either

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Kids mess up the no driving lifestyle pretty badly
cargo bike goes brrrrr

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

evil_bunnY posted:

cargo bike goes brrrrr

The building I work in has a daycare center in the lower level. There is also a light rail stop in that lower level. I have never seen anyone take their kids in on the train to drop off there even when I know they live on the rail line.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my kid is always pumped when we can go to fun stuff within walking distance. too bad they're too scared to use a bike lane. need to htfu, almost 8 years old ffs

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

my kids daycare is a 4 mile round trip and not safe to get to without a car
that's so hosed up

spiritual bypass posted:

my kid is always pumped when we can go to fun stuff within walking distance. too bad they're too scared to use a bike lane. need to htfu, almost 8 years old ffs
have you met US drivers? I'm a grown rear end man and there's precious few bike lanes I'd use, let alone have my kids use.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

carbrain triple post

petition to install those as bike lane physical segregation systems.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

was riding in the hills and took the lane earlier today for one minute while passing through a tunnel instead of riding in a 2 ft wide shoulder

got honked at even though traffic was moving like 10mph

meanwhile all the tourists on rental bikes going the other direction all get squeezed in that gap between SUVs and the tunnel wall. it looked profoundly uncomfortable

drivers are so rude

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Aug 6, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I got honked at today too. I was riding on a pretty quiet road and a car happened to come up behind me right as a car was passing in the other direction so I guess the car behind me was annoyed that they had to wait another 5 seconds to pass me?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
My favorite is getting honked at for moving into the lane to make a left turn. A lot of people seem to think bikes can teleport or something.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

cat botherer posted:

My favorite is getting honked at for moving into the lane to make a left turn. A lot of people seem to think bikes can teleport or something.

carbrain can lead to loss of object permanence

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
After two weeks of nothing but rain, the weather finally broke this morning, so of course every cyclist came out to take over the streets

A hill with a 12% gradient almost broke me. I did also get to use a pair of spir grips, which were great for flat runs

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Getting honked at often makes me wish I had the little horn from The Mask to respond with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mVSTO-PKSM&t=7s

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
honking at a cyclist or pedestrian should result in automatic guillotine.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Celexi posted:

honking at a cyclist or pedestrian should result in automatic guillotine.

it is useful on my skates for someone to do a quick honk when about 20 feet behind me to let me know they’re there. the majority of my honks are these courtesy honks, chuds use their words and hoods more often

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's no such thing as a courtesy honk wtf

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

im appreciative of the prison guards who rattle the keys when they're gonna pass by. gives me time to hide the mags.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

i start signaling that I’m going to change lanes to make a turn, car behind me that I would unsafely cut off if i acted immediately honks

not like car drives by me in bike lane and is mad or is warning me they’re gonna do some dumb poo poo — thats usually just the mta for me

and I really really hate the ‘omg so cool youre on skatws’ honk that is the least useful information of all these to alert me to

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Chevy Volt used to come with a quieter pedestrian horn, I think that would be the only way I could imagine politely honking

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

there should be a quiet honk and a loud honk, where the loud honk is piped into the car at the same volume as it is outside

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

corona familiar posted:

there should be a quiet honk and a loud honk, where the loud honk is piped into the car at the same volume as it is outside

this is the only honk you need https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vk3GcBGXed8

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mystes posted:

I'm a goose.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Honk if you’re horny

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Honk if you’re horny

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

i start signaling that I’m going to change lanes to make a turn, car behind me that I would unsafely cut off if i acted immediately honks

not like car drives by me in bike lane and is mad or is warning me they’re gonna do some dumb poo poo — thats usually just the mta for me

and I really really hate the ‘omg so cool youre on skatws’ honk that is the least useful information of all these to alert me to
I just feel like a honk is a honk... you can't necessarily tell why someone is honking so even if they somehow thought they were honking to try to convey some specific piece of information, you have to assume they're angry might try to kill you.

That's even ignoring the fact that honking is loud enough to be clearly heard in other cars so it's incredibly loud and annoying if you aren't.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I just feel like a honk is a honk... you can't necessarily tell why someone is honking so even if they somehow thought they were honking to try to convey some specific piece of information, you have to assume they're angry might try to kill you.

That's even ignoring the fact that honking is loud enough to be clearly heard in other cars so it's incredibly loud and annoying if you aren't.

i dont disagree that honking sucks as a communication medium. it took work for me to get used to communicative honks but it makes my street skating far safer to be attuned to them.

I also have to understand that most people aren’t expecting to see rollerskates on the street and so I try to be understanding and communicative, most honks I receive are trying to communicate something other than anger and contextually those honks are fairly clear. the alternative is not being as efficient in my travel or increasing my risk of injury

i do not care if other cars are bothered by the honk in the slightest. it in fact brings me joy to think that is happening.

i think of all of this in contrast to the five loving silent cars that tried cutting me off by moving from the far lane to opposite side of the opposite lane where I was on a not busy road five blocks from my house. they were quite obviously doing this to specifically try to spook me (or worse) because they returned to their original lanes after and all seemed to be going to the same place considering the pseudo-follow I did for two turns and 10 blocks to see if I could pull any mirrors off without getting ganged on (conclusion was leaving the mirrors on the loving audi :( )

edit: and none of this is to defend drivers, it’s just the reality of the situation currently and not the fight I’m willing to have with drivers until many other road routines and habits become denormalized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess good for you that you can think that way but if someone honks at me I'm probably going to be angry for the rest of the day