Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

MononcQc posted:

Petry's wife is gonna be super mad

There’s no way he accepted this unless he’s getting rerouted somewhere else. Makes the Matheson trade very funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also is Montreal getting DeSmith meaning that Allen is done for, or that they're not trusting Montembeault yet?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Haha what the hell hughes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

There’s no way he accepted this unless he’s getting rerouted somewhere else. Makes the Matheson trade very funny though.

Poehling for Matheson, a 4th, and absorbing salary from Petry, yeah.

Of course it ignores getting rid of Hoffman (who couldn't do much) and Pitlick (who had no room) but overall this seems like a fine trade.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While they're still getting a 33-year-old defenseman signed for four more years at 10m per, that's still a big win for Pittsburgh, somehow getting out of several bad contracts and adding the defending Norris winner for a 1st and 2nd.

San Jose gets out of a huge contract and dollar commitment, while Montreal must've really liked Jeff Petry and needs a goalie, I guess?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hextall basically gave away Marino and Matheson, yeah.

Good thing he's not a GM anywhere anymore

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 6, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I have no idea why Montreal would do that. Why take on all of Pittsburgh's garbage for just a 2nd?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Seems like a pretty great job by Dubas, all things considered

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I have no idea why Montreal would do that. Why take on all of Pittsburgh's garbage for just a 2nd?

it's a garbage swap, also Montreal might be planning to get half their lineup injured again

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike Hoffman got traded for the guy who's wife he hated.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Salary aside Pittsburgh gave away gently caress all asset-wise and they’re going for it til Sid retires so not bad at all

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/ericengels/status/1688214675534606336

This could make sense yeah. Other role otherwise is sheltering the young d-men but who knows.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dubas rocks. What a trade. All that garbage out and the only real assets of note to go out were a first and a second, and the first is even lottery protected in the event that the Pens somehow take a giant poo poo this year.

I haven't said this often about a Pens GM recently but A+ trade

MononcQc posted:

https://twitter.com/ericengels/status/1688214675534606336

This could make sense yeah. Other role otherwise is sheltering the young d-men but who knows.

I know the Petrys do not want to live in Canada either so that would make sense

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Malkin-Sid-Guentzel
Letang-Karlsson

First powerplay unit? Pittsburgh will be fun to watch if all these old guys can stay healthy

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol the habs have 4 waiver eligible goalies

Bold strategy Cotton

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Dubas :swoon:

gently caress you Hextall

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So they moved Rutta too, so Ruhwedel third pair RD with Ty Smith as the #7 to start the year?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

So they moved Rutta too, so Ruhwedel third pair RD with Ty Smith as the #7 to start the year?

I'd expect some camp PTOs in the mix for that slot at the very least, especially with Guentzel out, they'll have some wiggle room to play with.

If Dubas gets rid of Carter somehow, that'd be even better still

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man I am so impressed by Dubas. That's a hell of a trade by Pittsbugh and absolutely the go for it deal they needed after they doubled down on Sid, Geno and Letang.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Good thing Shanahan fired that bum Dubas. Really smart.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Malkin-Sid-Guentzel
Letang-Karlsson

First powerplay unit? Pittsburgh will be fun to watch if all these old guys can stay healthy

Guentzel is already out until November lol.

It will be a fun team though, and that's all I ask for at this point in their careers. That PP unit is gonna give up some shorties trying to do stupid poo poo but when it works it will be rad as gently caress

ThinkTank posted:

Man I am so impressed by Dubas. That's a hell of a trade by Pittsbugh and absolutely the go for it deal they needed after they doubled down on Sid, Geno and Letang.

Yeah absolute home run of a trade

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Erik Karlsson is bad but that's a pretty good price for a bad player who sometimes will play well.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Even if he's only sixty point break even Karlsson that's not a huge price to pay. If Karlsson and Letang are both healthy the Pens can effectively play one or the other all game. Reminds of of Niedermayer and Pronger in Anaheim. Just a relentless puck driving style that eventually wears teams out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also the penguins somehow get younger with this trade so...

I see no downsides, this owns
I am happy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm really happy to never have to see Erik Karlsson in the Pacific ever again. Genuinely the most annoying guy to play against. He was always all world in October against the Canucks and then a turnover machine against them after the deadline. I'd wager he single handedly cost the Canucks like six draft slots over the years.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

drat dubas must have been doing some crazy offseason training to go from one of the worst gms in the league to pulling off sick moves like this :getin:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Even if he's only sixty point break even Karlsson that's not a huge price to pay. If Karlsson and Letang are both healthy the Pens can effectively play one or the other all game. Reminds of of Niedermayer and Pronger in Anaheim. Just a relentless puck driving style that eventually wears teams out.

They will presumably play together on the PP which is a little weird since most teams don't run 2d powerplays any more. Gonna be funny though watching the two of them do dumb poo poo and either combining for cool goals or turning pucks over trying to do a 5 pass play that turns into a SHG against

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Dr Zaius posted:

Good thing Shanahan fired that bum Dubas. Really smart.

I hate the pens but at least it’s kinda funny to see Dubas immediately make a good trade once he got out of Canada

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It will be fumy when Karlsson catn find the elixir of youth anymore and reverts back to being a pumpkin

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
A very depressing trade for the reigning Norris winner for San Jose, but I guess they didn’t have much of a choice.

I kinda like this for Montreal, they got back a whole bunch of meh, the second is ok, but thank gently caress they got Hoffman gone and pitlick is maybe a third-fourth liner which they have a million of. Petry probably shoulda updated his no trade though lol

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I am beyond ecstatic that Hoffman is gone.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

twelve months ago that karlsson contract was considered the most untradeable in the league. unless pittsburgh are just gonna give him free reign to do whatever he wants like he had last year in san jose i don't see how this trade is good for them?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Happy that San Jose Shark legend Mike Hoffman is coming home.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Didn’t San Jose give up the pick that ended up being Stutzle when they traded for Karlsson ?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

twelve months ago that karlsson contract was considered the most untradeable in the league. unless pittsburgh are just gonna give him free reign to do whatever he wants like he had last year in san jose i don't see how this trade is good for them?

Are you being purposefully obtuse or do you really not see how having a guy who just put up 100 points would be good for the Pens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not to mention Mike Sullivan's "system" for d-men as it is is basically playing them as a 4th forward or rover anyhow

there is probably no player in the league better suited for what Sullivan wants his dmen to do

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Hughes has to be shipping Petry. No way he sticks around, unless they ship out another D (Savard I'm looking at you) or two. They already have too many D as it is.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

stab posted:

Lol the habs have 4 waiver eligible goalies

Bold strategy Cotton

Monty is the only one worth keeping really. Primeau sucks and Allen makes a lot for a backup. Desmith is 1 year for cheap for an ok backup. Maybe a team with a real young goalie (Buffalo?)takes a flier on Allen at 50%.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Karlsson is overrated but also the platonic ideal of a defenseman in Sullivan's system. The Pens got him without giving up any #1 overall lottery tickets or any players or prospects that will be missed. Can't ask for much more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Pens got him without giving up any #1 overall lottery tickets

That remains to be seen

(Ed: oh, is it protected?)