Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

There's a late-game scene in one of the paths between Serenoa and Benedict where they both show off their VA chops, and I'd guess the similar scenes in the other paths go just as hard.

Yeah that's the one scene that I'd turn on VA for. Every character nails their version of it, especially Frederica. And even Serenoa's VA's performance is much better than usual. Outside of that I dunno, everyone is slightly on the bland/twee side with a few exceptions. Frederica as noted is probably the best performance. Though Dragan is really entertaining and Svarog has some great delivery too. I think it's probably more the writing making it hard for the VA's maybe?

kliras posted:

thx. do you know for sure whether you can still get it after reaching the endgame phase? there's some daytime requirements afaict, and the npc's don't seem to be there, but maybe i just missed something and already activated their quest lines. i do have the department store though

I'm not 100% sure if you can or not. I know Alrond does appear at night. But to trigger the quest you have to talk to his butler who I think is in Alrond's house but I don't remember if you can find him at night. Do you have a save before end game? end game itself is pretty short so it might be easier to just do that if you have the option.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I play without sound a huge majority of the time but the mobile game has fantastic music, I'll turn it on for some story arcs or big battles.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Harrow posted:

Yeah I’d definitely agree with this. The English voice acting improves over the course of the game but Frederica is the standout performance.

There's a ton of overlap in voice between the two games, obviously.

Most notably, Hughette and Throne are the same voice actor. The same *voice*, I would say.

Also Corentin and Crick have the same VA; Narve and Agnea, etc.

OT2 just had better direction and recording equipment, I guess.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I remember trying the TS demo on the Switch and immediately switching the VA to Japanese after I heard the MC talk despite normally playing games in English if there's the option. Glad to know it gets better later, I'll give it another shot once I actually own the game.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Also if you're talking about the original demo, Serenoa actually has a different English VA in that.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A Sinister Rap posted:

Also if you're talking about the original demo, Serenoa actually has a different English VA in that.

I haven't played the demo but his VA in the actual game is definitely on the mediocre side if not just bad. Though in the few instances he's allowed to emote and show some kind of emotion he does a better job so it's probably just an issue with direction.

Also when you do play it, there's a button you can press to see a portrait of who's talking (like concept art of them). You should do this because its the only way to see the art of some of the characters. Also its hilarious how unhinged a lot of them look. Not just the villains either. There's a bunch of neutral and potentially friendly characters who just look like that for whatever reason. It's great.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 4, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It’s almost certainly an issue of direction because Serenoa’s English voice actor also played Sylvando in Dragon Quest 11 and knocked that out of the park

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Been loving the game so far, done most of the side quests, everyone is up to their final chapter, got a couple finals done, everyone is in low-mid 50s… and then I decide to visit the Sinking Ruins

Spoilers (mini boss and game mechanics) I guess but if you don’t want to end up pissed and slightly soured at the game like me then feel free to read:

No loving save point before a boss that can throw a brand new nearly incurable status effect? Seriously? My main gets petrified at the start, I look through my long rear end list of items I’ve been hoarding, and nothing cures it specifically. So I decide to use a herb elixir, since it says it cures all. NOPE. Look it up online and I guess petrification needs its own special item. So I’m immediately down my strongest member, wasted a turn trying to cure it, and promptly getting hosed. Tried to fight the uphill battle and once my second member gets petrified I know it’s over. Thanks for the wasted time, jerk

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Osvald's chapter 4 boss was kinda a doozy, huh.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

There must be many, many people working on this mobile title and not a single one of them told Yasunori Nishiniki that it's just a gacha money generator and he doesn't need to go that hard. Or maybe they did, and Nishiniki just has only one level when composing.

My favourite part of Champions of the Continent's music is that the game inverts the normal presentation of Octopath story. In a game that runs by gacha rules, where your playable characters are a few dozen randomly selected heroes from the slot machine, they don't put a lot of emphasis on those playable characters. Instead the focus goes to the villains of the story as you work through 8 acts each devoted to one of them specifically.

What that means is it's the villains who get the cool character themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNttDQpfFLY

And when you're squaring up for a boss battle against them at the climax of an act, they get the uptempo character theme leading into the fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByOYSCGwN6k

And of course the boss music itself is unique to each villain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80BZFXxzZ4g

There's a lot wrong with CotC because, of course, gacha game. But the soundtrack is absolutely unimpeachable. Nishiniki has actually composed more unique music for CotC than he has for OT2, and everything available is out in two released soundtracks. It's all fantastic, and he's still going, because the game is still getting content in JP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The villain stories are pretty good in CotC too. Auguste's is rather MARVELOUS! :sparkles:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Been loving the game so far, done most of the side quests, everyone is up to their final chapter, got a couple finals done, everyone is in low-mid 50s… and then I decide to visit the Sinking Ruins

Spoilers (mini boss and game mechanics) I guess but if you don’t want to end up pissed and slightly soured at the game like me then feel free to read:

No loving save point before a boss that can throw a brand new nearly incurable status effect? Seriously? My main gets petrified at the start, I look through my long rear end list of items I’ve been hoarding, and nothing cures it specifically. So I decide to use a herb elixir, since it says it cures all. NOPE. Look it up online and I guess petrification needs its own special item. So I’m immediately down my strongest member, wasted a turn trying to cure it, and promptly getting hosed. Tried to fight the uphill battle and once my second member gets petrified I know it’s over. Thanks for the wasted time, jerk

Sounds frustrating but also a unique experience. I didn't have any issues with that one because I'd already found a bunch of the items needed to address the issue. You can even buy them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Nah I didn't have any unpetrifies when I first fought it either, was one of the few game overs I got.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Somehow I had 5 of those before attempting that boss, even before I found out I could buy them at the black market.

Fair enough, though. My first game over was the boss at the bottom of the graveyard in Montwise (another one where the save point is a the beginning of the dungeon, not the end), because of unlucky status effects and turn order. I'm sure most people breezed through that but whatever, it was 10 minutes to get back there with better status protection.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I had a bunch of the petrify cures and still lost because they aren't clustered with the rest of the status cures for some reason so I didn't find them in my first attempt. That dungeon is without a doubt a low point in the game but at least it only takes like 10 minutes like the rest of the dungeons.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

FireWorksWell posted:

I wanna hear about how you beat it, I like seeing the different ways people get past it.
It took another 6+ hours but I finally beat it! Final levels were early to mid 60s.

I'll talk a bit about my initial team and then the adjustments I made to each group. I kept the groups consistent so team 1 was Castti, Throne, Ochette, and Osvald which made team 2 Partitio, Hikari, Agnea, Temenos. Initial build for team one was Dancer Castti, Apothecary Throne, Merchant Ochette, Armsmaster Osvald with the idea being that Ochette and Arms Master Osvald (who would use the weapon selection to stack elemental buffs) would do the bulk of the damage while Castti and Throne provided support. Most of the early attempts were about figuring out how the boss worked, but it also revealed that Castti was spread too thin whereas Osvald occasionally had nothing to do which prompted some job shuffling. Ended up with Merchant Castti, Dancer Throne, Armsmaster Ochette, Apothecary Osvald. Keep Dohters up on Throne for turn economy with her latent power and the Latent/BP restorative, and spam Sealtige Remedy. Ochette was the primary damage dealer with her latent skills. Throne provided multi target damage on the adds with Aebers Reckoning and Castiii could break things with merchant summons or give a bit of extra damage in a pinch. It was far from a perfect set up but after the fight was figured out, could get to the second stage about 40-50% of the time.

Initial team 2 was Apothecary Partitio, Conjurer Hikari, Arcanist Agnea, Scholar Temenos. On the first attempt I realized that Conjurer and Scholar were doing nothing for me. I swapped Temenos to Merchant for damage and breaking potential with Hired Help. Hikari especially was sitting on BP too much so I swapped him to Cleric so he could use Aelfrics Blessing while retaining the Giant Club damage boost. This required a bit of grinding and got the second team about 2 levels to get them up to the level 64-66 area. This team had a tremendous amount of defensive options but still remained on the back foot for too much of the the fight once the appendages were broken. Prior to the winning attempt I realize that a lot of the damage was coming from physical attacks so I swapped Arcanist to Partitio for Seal of Diffusion/Sidestep. This allowed Agnea to swap to Apothecary which helped her durability quite a bit. For anyone other than Partitio the turn economy would not have worked out, but he had his latent to give him extra BP. Sidestep/Reflecting Barrier/Prayer for Plenty could keep up with the boss's damage. Honestly, I played so defensively that I wouldn't be surprised if 40% or more of the bosses HP was taken out due to reflected attacks. He ended up killing himself witha relected charge up attack which came just in time because I was running very low on BP restoring items.

Overall that's one of the best optional bosses I've faced in an RPG. I don't doubt that extra levels could have eased the difficulty substantially and I know that the combat system is flexible enough to allow for low level strategies. An excellent capstone to an excellent game.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 6, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

When it's time to level up my B-team, would y'all recommend doing them as a low-level quartet of their own or should I just powerlevel them one by one with 3 beefy A teamers? I assume the second option is faster but you never know.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

When it's time to level up my B-team, would y'all recommend doing them as a low-level quartet of their own or should I just powerlevel them one by one with 3 beefy A teamers? I assume the second option is faster but you never know.

I kept everyone around the same level despite the mandatory leader. Though going off the strategies I remember using, if you've got them all at a low level and you have either Cassti or Agnea you should be able to melt any random encounters for easy XP anyway, with One Step Ahead/BP Boost/that instant Latent Power one passives for both, some mixing for Cassti + her Latent Power or Inventor's Divine Skill + Agnea's Latent Power. This is to make sure your team always starts with full BP, HP and SP.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I kept everyone around the same level despite the mandatory leader. Though going off the strategies I remember using, if you've got them all at a low level and you have either Cassti or Agnea you should be able to melt any random encounters for easy XP anyway, with One Step Ahead/BP Boost/that instant Latent Power one passives for both, some mixing for Cassti + her Latent Power or Inventor's Divine Skill + Agnea's Latent Power. This is to make sure your team always starts with full BP, HP and SP.

Yeah my B team is Cassti/Partitio/Agnea/Hikari so that's doable. What can I say, I'm an East Continenter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
ah, you're a TOOT CHAP

I brought out my B members occasionally, but they got most of their levels just getting dragged through their story content by three of my A-listers. There were a couple of tight spots like when Hikari had to do a duel, but him having endgame gear managed to make up for his ten level deficiency.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I was team TOOT myself. I think that'll be my main team next time, though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm starting to grok how to make my Warrior Ochette into an unstoppable powerhouse which is fun. Casual 14k facetear on turn 2 if speed lines up right. Also if Beguiling doesn't turn all my buffs into debuffs like it did that one time...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ibblebibble posted:

When it came time to level up my B-team I kept two of my best characters (usually Throne/Hikari) and dragged the other two through the overland areas. You might need to go 3:1 gosu/chob for the level 45 chapters since some of the bosses are still quite tough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah it does feel like the final chapter bosses vary wildly in difficulty, and while that can be dependent on what order you do them in I think my general experience has been (hardest to easiest):

Agnea > Castti > Temenos > Partitio > Hikari > Ochette > Throne > Osvald

But mileage can vary a lot on that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Temenos and Castti's felt like the hardest to me, although I suppose it all comes down to how strong your characters are at the point at which you encounter them. I could see how Partitio's would be challenging but I had Foreign Assassins by that point and their multiattack just comically shredded the final boss in two rounds.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

My personal list would have Ochette's higher since it was the first one I did. Very rude when you don't have everyone geared up and just whatever monsters picked up along the way

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Huh, so far Temenos is the only final chapter I’ve finished and I thought it’s boss went down pretty easy. Going into Throne’s now. Wonder if I’ll have an easy time with all the final chapters or if I just was lucky with Temenos.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Huh, so far Temenos is the only final chapter I’ve finished and I thought it’s boss went down pretty easy. Going into Throne’s now. Wonder if I’ll have an easy time with all the final chapters or if I just was lucky with Temenos.

Difficulty in this game is strange. If you have certain combinations of jobs and items you can take out pretty much every boss in the game within a break or two. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, Throne + speedy subjob and a few good items for Aeber's can be enough to trivialize a lot. But if you go to a boss under prepared or without any of the really good tools then it can definitely be difficult. So bosses usually end up being nightmare horrors or just barely above a regular encounter in difficulty depending.

It doesn't help that you can't take out your main character and so they'll naturally be overleveled. And if this character is like a Castti or a Hikari you are going to wreck things even if the rest of your party is a little underleveled.

But yeah if you are having an easy time with the end bosses so far, the next ones probably won't be much harder. Not at least until you fight the final boss or the super boss.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 7, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I bowled right over Agnea and Castti's, even though those were the my second and third finales, but I did Ochette and Temenos' last and thought they were the hardest by a long shot.

It's pretty cool to see that no one seems to have had the same experience, clearly party composition and maybe even playstyle has to matter a lot.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'd say Temenos was my hardest. I did him second, after Throne's. Her boss kicked my rear end before I decided to finally try subclasses, but even with that Temenos' was a challenge

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JuniperCake posted:

Difficulty in this game is strange. If you have certain combinations of jobs and items you can take out pretty much every boss in the game within a break or two. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, Throne + speedy subjob and a few good items for Aeber's can be enough to trivialize a lot. But if you go to a boss under prepared or without any of the really good tools then it can definitely be difficult. So bosses usually end up being nightmare horrors or just barely above a regular encounter in difficulty depending.

It doesn't help that you can't take out your main character and so they'll naturally be overleveled. And if this character is like a Castti or a Hikari you are going to wreck things even if the rest of your party is a little underleveled.

But yeah if you are having an easy time with the end bosses so far, the next ones probably won't be much harder. Not at least until you fight the final boss or the super boss.

Yeah, I just obliterated both Throne and Osvald's final bosses. Temenos can heal everyone from near death to full health and Hikari (My main character) just deals absurd damage. I think it was three breaks for each boss and they were done. I haven't even found the limb from limb ability people talk about with Hikari, and he still does absurd damage against everything.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hey uh I just found that side dungeon boss with the petrify that people were talking about.

Why isn't there a save point in front of its arena???

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Toto'haha is fully of friendly beastfolk so they had to balance it with a jerk boss and save point

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Temenos's was the easiest for me; it evaporated in just a couple Brand's Blades from overleveled main character Castti, and after that I just switched her to a support role to make the last few fights a little more interesting.

Throne's and Partitio's last fights were the toughest for me (because I didn't use Hired Help at all in the latter). Throne's was the first one I did... but I still killed it before it got through all of its gimmick cycles.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm at the point where I'm at the final chapters for all 4 of my TOOT folks, with an average level of 46 or so. Will probably go Osvald first because I want to punch Harvey in his slimy face. I am learning the joys of feeding BP into Ochette as much as possible so that I can throw out 14k Hunter's Fangs/Brand's Blades every turn. I'm definitely feeling the hurt on her small SP pool when it comes to using BBs though.

I'm going to guess that these second EX skills unlock from finishing character storylines?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm going to guess that these second EX skills unlock from finishing character storylines?

Yup. And they are very much worth the wait.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've had to avoid reading the thread because I don't want spoilers but is there ANY way to stop the loving game pausing when you defocus? Something I can put in the system registry or a mod or etc, it drives me mental and it's making me want to stop playing

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

JuniperCake posted:

Yup. And they are very much worth the wait.

Well, some of them are. I don't think I've ever gotten any real use out of Throne, Hikari, Temenos or Partitio's.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hikari and Temenos's are both really good.

Well, Hikari's is really good in a vacuum, it's just outdone by Limb from Limb. But it's still one of the stronger attacks in the game. Temenos's, meanwhile, is one of the best nukes if you build for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm at the point where I'm at the final chapters for all 4 of my TOOT folks, with an average level of 46 or so. Will probably go Osvald first because I want to punch Harvey in his slimy face. I am learning the joys of feeding BP into Ochette as much as possible so that I can throw out 14k Hunter's Fangs/Brand's Blades every turn. I'm definitely feeling the hurt on her small SP pool when it comes to using BBs though.

Do you have the Conjurer Job yet? It has a passive skill to halve SP costs...