Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
no, it's all film. it alternates between letterbox and full screen. but there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
i went in with my expectations set to high, I thought oppenheimer was a 2/5 at best. technically very good and good performances but the script tried to cram a trilogy’s worth of content in three hours.

everything after the bomb went of was a big snooze fest too, scouring of the shire-rear end ending

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Crow posted:

watched barbie, it was fine

same

weirdly, the few jokes that I had seen in the trailer, which seemed awful, were much better in the movie. the timing wasn’t as bad

the dance number with ryan gosling was so good. he was the star of the show imo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

echinopsis posted:

the dance number with ryan gosling was so good.

:yeah:

my favorite part of the movie was finding out rob thomas scarred greta as much me, that god drat song

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
watching through black mirror season 6 and man "beyond the sea" was disappointing, probably the first black mirror i've found to be completely predictable. good acting, directing and set design as usual though

we skipped "loch henry" for now because i thought "beyond the sea" seemed like it might be more interesting. oops

anyway i thought "joan is awful" was very good though

e: but drat, what i've read about the rest of the season isn't really making me enthusiastic to watch the rest

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 6, 2023

8523_2
Aug 6, 2023
the empire runs on duncan*

*Until 8:30pm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the musical snw episode wasn't as bad as i feared. do not take that to mean that it was good, however. it wasn't even worth the 45 minutes it took to watch. in a few years when i'm rewatching the season, i'll skip it. but at the end of the day, "not that bad, fine i guess" is still a pretty good outcome.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i started snw and so far have only seen one nameless ensign die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

the musical snw episode wasn't as bad as i feared. do not take that to mean that it was good, however. it wasn't even worth the 45 minutes it took to watch. in a few years when i'm rewatching the season, i'll skip it. but at the end of the day, "not that bad, fine i guess" is still a pretty good outcome.

this is the content I come here for

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I saw oppenheimer. it was good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy cow shohreh aghdashloo plays a mob boss in renfield. this rules

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my queen

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

haveblue posted:

I saw oppenheimer. it was good
a succinct but correct take

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

8523_2 posted:

the empire runs on duncan*

*Until 8:30pm

ok, I’ve been wondering for a while now - what is this a reference to?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kernel Sanders posted:

ok, I’ve been wondering for a while now - what is this a reference to?

in the later dune sequels, set in a future space empire, the character “duncan idaho” gets cloned, a lot, and they come in handy for stuff

this dovetails nicely with the dunkin donuts slogan, “america runs on dunkin”

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 6, 2023

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

haveblue posted:

in the later dune sequels, set in a future space empire, the character “duncan idaho” gets cloned, a lot, and they come in handy for stuff

this dovetails nicely with the dunkin donuts slogan, “america runs on dunkin”

:kiss:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the title is great but it's probably time for a new one. been a while

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

the title is great but it's probably time for a new one. been a while

many are saying this

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh man if I'd seen this poster as a kid before Empire came out and gotten all hyped for DARTH VADER WITH TWO LIGHTSABERS I would have been so honked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the moment when darth maul activates the second blade in the phantom menace trailer was so loving cool

and then, well,

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I loved the prequel trilogies and anyone who didn’t was watching the children’s movie wrong

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I loved the prequel trilogies and anyone who didn’t was watching the children’s movie wrong

yes children love political intrigue

i don’t want to go to bed yet mommy, i’m playing trade blockade!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

not a fan of embargoes, personally

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

well-read undead posted:

yes children love political intrigue

they do, it's incredibly popular with zoomers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fine with a thread title change but please do not reference the barbie or oppenheimer films. i'm so fatigued

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

indigi posted:

they do, it's incredibly popular with zoomers

lol yeah exactly

idk, I was 8 when episode 1 came out and the whole political aspect on top of the action owned bones

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've always been of the opinion that the prequels are fine

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

wolf warrior 3 is supposed to be out late this year or early next year, if i recall correctly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the prequels are extremely loving bad. the only thing they have going for them is that theres one person to blame for them being bad which is more fun than the modern bad-by-committee that is nu-wars

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

the prequels are extremely loving bad. the only thing they have going for them is that theres one person to blame for them being bad which is more fun than the modern bad-by-committee that is nu-wars

they had some interesting costumes and makeup at least. the non-practical vfx were also really good for their time but look incredibly dated today

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the action sequences are fine. good, even, sometimes

the politics scenes are pretty short

the drama is all very, very bad, and in particular everything with anakin or padme is excruciating. just negative charisma with both each other and the audience

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the prequels have loving soap opera quality dialogue, the plot advances are all people just walking and talking, the action scenes are dumb over-complicated messes made by people who think 10x more effects make a scene 10x better, and half the key battles are won by accident (anakin pressing random buttons, jar jar slapstick bs, etc)

the pod race in ep1 is the only non-poo poo part, and it's twice as long as it should be and does almost nothing to actually advance the plot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i caught some bits of episode 1 on tv a few months ago and yeah the podrace is so long

mystes
May 31, 2006

The prequels are just so bad. I'm not sure making prequels about anakin becoming darth vader was necessarily a great idea for sequels to star wars in terms of genre, but nonetheless, given that premise it should absolutely should have been possible to make anakin an interesting character and the movies fundamentally fail at that, and that's literally the entire point of the prequel trilogy so without him being interesting there's just no reason to make them

They either needed to make anakin extremely charismatic or have the movies 90% focus on new characters with anakin's arc happening mostly in the background, but just having him appear almost as some sort of inert object that's being carted from scene to scene just doesn't work

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the prequels are fine but ultimately forgettable. the cgi work was really good for the time (might even still be good by today's standards? haven't watched them recently to tell)

they're really proto-Marvel films, quippy protagonists and all