Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Caught up with the VOD. Welp.

It wasn't the multi-goal blowout loss I feared for the USWNT, but still, oof. Those penalty kicks were something. Rapinoe and Smith boot it out of the building, which also happened to one of the Swedish players so I get the nerves, but O'Hara's lighter boot smacking the goalpost was ridiculous.

Obviously this was the last World Cup for Rapinoe, and she did nothing this year so I wish she'd retired after the last one. I'm hoping this was also the last World Cup for Morgan.

It's hilarious that we had Naeher take the sixth penalty kick, for a second I thought it was required that goalies do it or something only to discover "nope, we just don't believe in any of our forwards." Her save attempt on the last PK was also very solid, even if it didn't work out.

Rooting for Japan to take it all. Rooting for Vlatko to get thrown off the plane somewhere over the Pacific, and for someone to come in who changes the tactics and culture of the USWNT. This team had no killer instinct.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/Copa90/status/1688173349149552640?s=20

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/rub3z_/status/1688178406150549507

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

usa.flv here.
'wait a sec, but we're the best'
'k, thanks bye'

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Rapinoe's already announced her retirement but I also wouldn't be shocked if this is the last WC for Morgan, Naeher, and/or O'Hara. They'll all be 38-39 by the next one. Regardless of intentions, though, it should be their last; players like Horan and Lavelle can lead a 2027 team, and it's not like the US has a death of available young players to coach up and cycle in.

It also sounds like Ertz insinuated in a post-game interview that this is her last WC so maybe she plans to retire and focus on her family with husband Zach or something.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

The USA will have wanted to have scored one of their *checks*

...22 shots at goal.

11 saves, which is a record for a clean sheet at the WWC. Unreal.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

:sweden:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
The more I think about it, the more I wish we had lost by several goals. We're just going to rationalize this away as VAR shenanigans or whatever.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I had a friend at the game and she said that whole sequence of events was super confusing, primarily because there were no announcements or replays apparently. Just Naeher seems to make the save -> pause -> Sweden starts celebrating.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

habeasdorkus posted:

It's so good that the English finally discovered Women's Soccer.
Late answer, but they discovered it ages ago. And banned it in the 1920s cos it got too popular.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Has anyone said Vlatko Out yet? VLATKO OUT!

The USWNT also needs to learn how to finish again, they underperformed their xG by something like 7 goals over 4 matches. Just wild. Need to clear out the oldheads, Pinoe and O'Hara were there for veterans presence and they both hosed it. Now we're gonna have to listen to the loving English talk about how we can't play football at all in a mildly racist manner because no one on this team could score a goddamned goal from open play over three matches.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Borsche69 posted:

outplayed is a strong word but the dutch definitely were way stronger in the second half. RSA feels like a team that's all speed, but they have good discipline behind it. both dutch goals were tough gives, and van domselaar showed her worth as a keeper - tons of great saves and smart plays.

it is very clear that south africa is criminally underrated

Responding to a super old comment, but I definitely didn't mean that as a dig at SA. I would say in this match, they were outplayed but not that they are a low quality team, they just weren't able to get decisively past the Dutch defense and couldn't keep their own up, in this match, the Dutch managed to be the better team. But they were forced to work hard for it.

Also lol RIP the US, at least we finally remembered how to play soccer (if not how to finish) before we washed out. Looking forward to Sweden v Japan.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 6, 2023

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Americans getting mad at "awesome goal keeper carries team that should have lost through" is just delicious.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

joepinetree posted:

Americans getting mad at "awesome goal keeper carries team that should have lost through" is just delicious.

Lmao weak. If I'm gonna get mad at anyone I'm gonna get mad at us for not putting a ball in the net during the game. We deserved that loss, Sweden is the team that should go forward.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

habeasdorkus posted:

Has anyone said Vlatko Out yet? VLATKO OUT!

The USWNT also needs to learn how to finish again, they underperformed their xG by something like 7 goals over 4 matches. Just wild. Need to clear out the oldheads, Pinoe and O'Hara were there for veterans presence and they both hosed it. Now we're gonna have to listen to the loving English talk about how we can't play football at all in a mildly racist manner because no one on this team could score a goddamned goal from open play over three matches.

Umm, I believe I've posted it multiple times today already, but one more can't hurt. VLATKO OUT.

We need a coach that can actually instill a pressing style, the women aren't getting a coherent one in league play and now that Europe's professionalized we can't just walk the tourney by having ten pounds of muscle and twenty minutes of legs more than everyone else.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the most painful matches this tournament were the ones pitting a bunch of professional athletes against a bunch of amateurs with day jobs, and the USA has not yet adapted to a world where that isn't every match until the final

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Incitatus posted:

gonna save this pic for whenever my wife asks me if it's in.

:rms:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
As a USWNT fan, I'm glad I no longer have to watch Sophia Smith dribbling into the corner and then doing nothing again.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
some top, top entitled bad-loser whingeing across different sports this summer

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

vyelkin posted:

the most painful matches this tournament were the ones pitting a bunch of professional athletes against a bunch of amateurs with day jobs, and the USA has not yet adapted to a world where that isn't every match until the final

Tell me you haven't been watching women's soccer for the last 10 years without telling me you haven't been watching women's soccer for the last 10 years.

e: Jill Ellis must be smirking right now.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
laughing at americans is not being racist

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

laughing at Americans should be encouraged

The American punditry is delicious today. Especially the thinly veiled 'yeah, it's a goal line technology but...'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Tell me you haven't been watching women's soccer for the last 10 years without telling me you haven't been watching women's soccer for the last 10 years.

e: Jill Ellis must be smirking right now.

i will say whatever i like on the blessed day when the united states of america are eliminated from an international football tournament

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Drunk Nerds posted:

As a USWNT fan, I'm glad I no longer have to watch Sophia Smith dribbling into the corner and then doing nothing again.

I have to laugh at all the commercials featuring her I had to watch, considering how underwhelming she was at the tourney.

Edit: maybe this will inspire team USA to give a poo poo at the Olympics next year and actually win gold?!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 6, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
they should do another version of that ad where shes smiling. sophia smith smiling at the stadium, then at the airport, then on the plane, then home

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

skasion posted:

they should do another version of that ad where shes smiling. sophia smith smiling at the stadium, then at the airport, then on the plane, then home

They should do one with a closeup on her smile intercut with her skying that penalty.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

tristeham posted:

laughing at americans is not being racist

The whole thing about anti US racism is particularly funny because

1- very few teams in any sport hold a candle to uswnt jingoism.
2- some Americans appear to be genuinely puzzled by the rest of the world enjoying the US losing.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i think that means she didnt save it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Love that the US keeper was a first choice pen taker on the basis of being able to smash it down the center

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Bourricot posted:

Has anyone said poosa yet?

jeebus bob posted:

Has anyone said POO-S-A yet?

POO-S-A

:itwaspoo:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I need to talk to the world cups manager. I had booked tickets to the final and this is unacceptable.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Wait, who *doesn't* want to see England lose on penalties?

Just kidding, they'll lose on penalties in an earlier round

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am sad to see the US to go out but it was deserved (and you could see it coming) and hopefully the experience was painful enough that necessary changes will be made.

If it hadn't the Swedes that did it, it probably would've been the Japanese. The warning signs were already there on day 1 of their campaign when they made hard work of beating Vietnam at Eden Park.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mycatscrimes posted:

Responding to a super old comment, but I definitely didn't mean that as a dig at SA. I would say in this match, they were outplayed but not that they are a low quality team, they just weren't able to get decisively past the Dutch defense and couldn't keep their own up, in this match, the Dutch managed to be the better team. But they were forced to work hard for it.

Also lol RIP the US, at least we finally remembered how to play soccer (if not how to finish) before we washed out. Looking forward to Sweden v Japan.

oh agreed. the dutch really took control in the second half. partly settling into a passing groove that didn't exist in the first (lots of sloppy giveaways), and partly neutralizing some of those SA forwards. i think injuries/subs probably hurt SA too. i agree with the other post that was along the lines of how you could tell the dutch were more experienced at managing games like this on a bigger stage.

but yeah, again, van domselaar did a hell of a job.

the US game is a funny one, the first game all tourney where it looked like the US were in control from start to finish, except they couldnt finish for poo poo lol. going out on penos is always a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

BUG JUG posted:

I need to talk to the world cups manager. I had booked tickets to the final and this is unacceptable.

why, you might get to see good teams now