Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many of this month's B-league main eventers do you recognize without googling?
This poll is closed.
Logan Storley 16 9.20%
Brennan Ward 17 9.77%
Chingiz Allazov 13 7.47%
Marat Grigorian 7 4.02%
Bubba Jenkins 21 12.07%
Jesus Pinedo 4 2.30%
Renan Ferreira 7 4.02%
Maurice Greene 24 13.79%
Clay Collard 22 12.64%
Shane Burgos 43 24.71%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

after the commentary on the UFC card last night - what are the odds that Bisping and Cruz ever work together again?

What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

after the commentary on the UFC card last night - what are the odds that Bisping and Cruz ever work together again?

I didn’t watch what happened

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I don't remember any specific blowouts but overall it did feel like a 5/5 on the "Bisping being his humorously caustic self; Cruz being his witless uncharismatic self" scale and it seemed like Bisping had to jovially cool Cruz off a few times

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

Nate’s really handicapped without the option of the Stockton Slap or the Middle Finger.

I suspect he might be regardless

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
by the end of the card, Cruz was openly stepping on and shutting down Bisping's commentary. Bisping maintained his usual jovial cadence but transitioned into just trying to placate Cruz. The boos at Sandhagen's performance drove Cruz crazy and he was getting surly about it.

He had also been arguing / disagreeing / not going with Bispings banter during most of the night but towards the end it got really bad

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Bisping was even on Cruz’s side about it, noting not every good performance is going to have the audience cheering.

Sandhagen said he tore his tricep early, and the audience still didn’t cut him any slack at the post fight interview.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I’m shocked people are still amused by and have questions about Jake Paul fighting older, smaller, shot guys from a different sport. He’s a promotional marvel, I thought the gimmick would’ve died when he lost to the one boxer he fought.

It was kind of interesting seeing where a fit, relatively athletic guy would fall within mma fighters and boxers, and how mma fighter boxing therefore compared to boxers. I think that this and the fury fight probably answered all the questions that could be asked, though. Paul is about as good as a semi-pro boxer, which it turns out is a pretty high level among mma fighters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Paul is about as good as a semi-pro boxer, which it turns out is a pretty high level among mma fighters.

He’s not fought any prime striking-centric mma fighters. Which is fine from a protecting his brand perspective, but it hasn’t settled anything for people who want to see his rear end beat.

Also, not every athletic person has that kind of power.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
He's also fighting much smaller guys, Diaz is essentially a 155er who had his last few fights at 170 because "gently caress it I don't wanna cut weight, my name is good enough", and Paul had him fighting at 185. On top of that, Diaz is 38 years old. Silva was his only fight with someone his own size but he was...what, 45 years old when they fought? Like come on.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jake Paul is the modern version of Andy Kaufman wrestling only women except the celebrations are not a bit

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Paul brothers calculated that if they did just enough of a thing to kind of sort of be in it, they could do well enough that most people wouldn't realize they weren't really doing it. And they were right, unfortunately.

Also, minor public service announcement: My computer blew the gently caress up and I am trying to fix it. I have made it through 69 weekly card posts without missing one and do not intend to this week either, but if I do, that is why.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Nice

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Make style bender vs Forrest offender real dana

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Jake Paul will keep boxing as long as MMA fans keep fantasizing about an MMA fighter breaking the rules of boxing. My twitter timeline the past couple days has been nothing but grown adult MMA fans fantasy-posting about how Nate would shoot on Jake.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Last night when I was watching the ufc fights on an assuredly legal platform which happened to have a random chat attached to it, about every 20 seconds people were popping in to ask about Jake Paul. Some of them clearly thought he was fighting on the UFC card.

As much as we hate to admit it, Diaz was the B side of that fight. Paul could sell PPVs with him fighting a straw boy.

Not really, he's got wildly inconsistent buy rates, selling well against Fury, awfully against Silva, sort of well for Woodley and then very badly for the second fight with Woodley. He absolutely needs a credible opponent to sell.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Stealth Tiger posted:

fantasy-posting about how Nate would shoot on Jake.

He did though.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

He sells well when people think he might finally get his comeuppance

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I didn't watch. Was there another fight between them on air?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

jake paul is getting a few mma fighters some more retirement money and I'm not going to hate on him for that

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Dom was being an immature grumpy poo poo, no actual incident occurred. Just his lovely attitude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Orange Carlisle posted:

jake paul is getting a few mma fighters some more retirement money and I'm not going to hate on him for that

Yeah as annoying as I find the Paul brothers I find it hard to fault a dude still having to do the deed whilst giving MMA guys a pension fund.

I just wish street jesus would fight him.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Dom sucks on commentary and should gently caress off forever. Dom just sucks.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

delightful posted:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

delightful posted:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Replace him with Sanko :pray:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bisping ain't very good either to be honest.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Bisping is better at his job than when he started, Cruz is worse.

Get Megan in there she rocks

Felder / Angela Hill / Bisping best lineup I can think of

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I want Max Holloway to eventually be a colour commentator.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Sanko is so much better than the other color commentators that they ought to be embarrassed. Just stick with her and Anik at all times.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lucasar posted:

I want Max Holloway to eventually be a colour commentator.

Flashbacks to Max's pre-fight fight week interview with Bisping

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETmcRjlqWxg

best to ever do it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love bisping mainly cuz he just sounds like he's having so much fun up there

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://youtu.be/0eLJAQEFpps

Pantheon has been killing it with the uploads

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1688399568201773056

ONE going so far into striking over MMA that it somehow invented boxing

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
It sounds silly on paper but I actually quite like that. So spinning punches and backhands and ridgehand strikes are all allowed, so its basically 'MMA striking' only, not 'boxing' where backhand strikes are illegal etc. I'm down with it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jake paul? huh?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Photoshop that guy a sandwich, drat.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1688399568201773056

ONE going so far into striking over MMA that it somehow invented boxing

lol 'come check out these epic new rules of just punches and a 10 point must scoring system'

who are these women anyway the advertisement makes it seem like some sort of super fight

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

lol 'come check out these epic new rules of just punches and a 10 point must scoring system'

who are these women anyway the advertisement makes it seem like some sort of super fight

Xiong Jing Nan is ONE's women's flyweight MMA champion, which they've basically been mad about for years because they wanted Angela Lee to be a double champ so bad that they booked her against Xiong three times, and when Xiong defended her belt twice and won their trilogy 2-1 ONE put a poll on twitter going OH MAN, WE REALLY NEED TO RUN THIS BACK AGAIN, WHAT DO YOU SAY, FANS, DO YOU WANT TO SEE XIONG JING NAN/ANGELA LEE 4 GIMME A HELL YEAH and then quietly deleted the post after the response was overwhelmingly negative.

Wondergirl is a Muay Thai kickboxer that ONE really wants to turn into another promotional centerpiece like they did Angela Lee and Stamp Fairtex but she's 1-1 in MMA and just got loving crushed in her last fight, like, two weeks ago, but it's ONE, so they're just going to pretend it didn't happen and do this instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

It was kind of interesting seeing where a fit, relatively athletic guy would fall within mma fighters and boxers, and how mma fighter boxing therefore compared to boxers. I think that this and the fury fight probably answered all the questions that could be asked, though. Paul is about as good as a semi-pro boxer, which it turns out is a pretty high level among mma fighters.

Sounds like the question the UFC was invented to answer has run its course, and now we’re running it back in reverse.

Paul can pack a punch, and wrapping an mma fighters hands up in kid gloves and taking away most of their tools renders them much less dangerous, no great surprise really