Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I'd think the real fear from WOTC is that if folks get used to computer-generated art in their books, then they'll become open to computer-generated campaign modules and put them right out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Dexo posted:

I mean, sorta?

This is anecdotal to my experiences locally and specifically in my circles, but I think at this point, most people are buying hardcover physical books specifically for the art, or as like a physical thing to look at and "admire"(can't think of a better word right now), as almost everyone I see playing 5e or PF2E use digital tools in some form.

Like the only reason I bought the Lancer hardcover book is because I love the Art, I'd much rather use comp/con or a pdf or something to actually play from.

Great point, the advent of digital tools for TTRPGS does tip the balance more towards buying the physical books for the arts' sake. I don't know how that affects most sales in general, since there are both the digital and physical sales of books these days.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 5, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm just a sample size of one, but I really do buy campaign and source books because of the beautiful art, design, and the satisfaction of flipping through a nice printed book. If I was purely after the mechanics and what's physically written, I'd just use the SRD and other online sources to get the content. Like despite some of the shortcomings of the adventure in the Humblewood setting, the artwork is super charming and I like flipping through the book as I'm working through the campaign.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Nearly every illustration in the 3e PHB is seared permanently into my brain because I loved flipping through it and looking at them when I was a kid. I absolutely think people regard source books almost like art-books, and that the images in them have an important role of communicating the fantasy of the game and helping inspire players.

WoTC should be selling premium products. If they get in a race to the bottom of treating illustration or creative writing as window-dressing that can be handled by AI, they are going to suddenly find that people don't actually need to buy books from them at all because they already have AI crap at home.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/dndbeyond/status/1687969469170094083?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Are there any kits or prestige classes for someone who wants to be a Sorceress + Wizard hybrid?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I buy the hard cover books because they're nice to hold in my hands, not really for the art, its just sometimes more convenient to flip through than a pdf, and if I ever go start hanging out at nerd cafes it'd be fun to potentially pull out some books for an impromptu D&D session as an ice breaker.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I buy the hard cover books because they're nice to hold in my hands, not really for the art, its just sometimes more convenient to flip through than a pdf, and if I ever go start hanging out at nerd cafes it'd be fun to potentially pull out some books for an impromptu D&D session as an ice breaker.

You should bring some pre-made characters with the books, or the impromptu session may just be character generation

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Are there any kits or prestige classes for someone who wants to be a Sorceress + Wizard hybrid?

As far as I know there's nothing like that in 5E. It doesn't have kits or prestige classes, just classes and subclasses.

I'm not really sure what you'd even want from a sorcerer/wizard hybrid. They're basically the same thing aside from where they get their spells.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d say your best bet is making a custom wizard subclass that gives you some sorcerer class features. (Or vice versa)

What features are you wanting to combine from the classes?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I guess the question is, what's your reasoning for wanting a hybrid of those two classes?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Metamagic adept is pretty much what you want, so you can use metamagic as a wizard but not blow a bunch of levels on it.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mederlock posted:

I guess the question is, what's your reasoning for wanting a hybrid of those two classes?
I want to explore the story of a character who seeks to reconcile her inborn magical abilities with the formal arcane tradition that she was inducted into.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I want to explore the story of a character who seeks to reconcile her inborn magical abilities with the formal arcane tradition that she was inducted into.

Variant human, 1st level feat Metamagic Adept is probably your best angle .Alternatively, ritual caster feat on a sorcerer.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think your best bet would be playing sorcerer and taking ritual caster, you get a spellbook and can cast rituals which is super flavorful, but you'll still mostly be casting like a sorcerer. The problem with multiclassing is sorcerer casts with charisma and wizard casts with intelligence so you'll be dependent on two main stats and your two halves aren't gonna play together well, and you're gimping yourself a little bit on spell progression so you'll always be a bit weak for your level. Maining sorcerer and taking two levels in wizard to get a tradition probably isn't going to hurt you too much though and that's also very flavorful.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Sounds really interesting! :)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Variant human, 1st level feat Metamagic Adept is probably your best angle

I'd say this would probably suit your build more mechanically wise, perhaps with a Divine Soul or Wild magic 1-3 level sorcerer dip

quote:

Alternatively, ritual caster feat on a sorcerer

And this one might suit the flavour of your idea a little bit more.

As another alternative, maybe Bard with a sorcerer dip could satisfy it? Bard's follow formal magic traditions and training as well, but it depends on if you think that'd make sense for your character.

Let us know what you settle on after you've played a few sessions with them!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Play a Sorcerer and don't bother with feats or multiclassingor even necessarily pumping INT. You can use the Sage or Scholar background but have your story be that study and recitation never worked for you because you just naturally knew how to use magic. Yknow, like Harry Potter.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Remember the #1 rule of playing a Sorcerer: all of that wizardly nonsense is nerd poo poo. :colbert:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zurreco posted:

Play a Sorcerer and don't bother with feats or multiclassingor even necessarily pumping INT. You can use the Sage or Scholar background but have your story be that study and recitation never worked for you because you just naturally knew how to use magic. Yknow, like Harry Potter.

This is what I did for my drow druid in Frostmaiden, took the Sage background and rolled with "used to be a wizard before he escaped the underdark and forgot how to do wizard stuff"

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

A sneak peek of a couple monsters from the upcoming Planescape Book

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Really hoping its less of a wet fart than the spelljammer box

CornsilkSW
Feb 25, 2005
all A.D.D. all the time!
At this point I am kinda glad they haven't tried remaking Dark Sun yet.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

CornsilkSW posted:

At this point I am kinda glad they haven't tried remaking Dark Sun yet.

I recall someone at WOTC mentioning that Darksun would be difficult to bring back considering how heavily themes like slavery and racism play into the universe.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm going to start up a game for my wife and our two teenage kids soon. They want to avoid dungeon crawler type games and want more mystery/heist type stuff. Can anyone point me to books they're aware of that lean in to that kind of thing? Third party is just fine too. I'll likely end up homebrewing something, but its nice to have the bones of something to work with. I'm also thinking of just going with Wild Beyond the Witchlight, but I need to read it again to see if it does what I think it does.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Funzo posted:

I'm going to start up a game for my wife and our two teenage kids soon. They want to avoid dungeon crawler type games and want more mystery/heist type stuff. Can anyone point me to books they're aware of that lean in to that kind of thing? Third party is just fine too. I'll likely end up homebrewing something, but its nice to have the bones of something to work with. I'm also thinking of just going with Wild Beyond the Witchlight, but I need to read it again to see if it does what I think it does.

Keys from the Golden Vault is all heist adventures, Candlekeep Mysteries is all mysteries

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There's Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

change my name posted:

Keys from the Golden Vault is all heist adventures, Candlekeep Mysteries is all mysteries

I forgot all about Candlekeep, and I even have the book sitting on my shelf.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

whydirt posted:

Dear Christ do not recommend that poo poo to anyone

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

whydirt posted:

Notable exclusively for not actually containing a heist.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I thought Waterdeep: Dragon Heist was well received?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

Well received by a player base that’s infamous for eating pure poo poo because it has the logo on it and actually good are two different things. I think a lot of groups opt for Dragon Heist because “urban intrigue” sounds cool, but the actual adventure does little to facilitate that and every successful run of it I’ve heard of inevitably includes “our DM did a ton of work to flesh the whole thing out, especially everything about running the tavern.”

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Honestly, this sounds like the kind of RP stuff that is largely independent of which specific class you roll. Play a sorcerer who goes to wizard school or a wizard who was born with arcane powers.

Verisimilidude posted:

I recall someone at WOTC mentioning that Darksun would be difficult to bring back considering how heavily themes like slavery and racism play into the universe.

I suspect it's more because they haven't figured out decent psionics yet.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Honestly, this sounds like the kind of RP stuff that is largely independent of which specific class you roll. Play a sorcerer who goes to wizard school or a wizard who was born with arcane powers.

That didn't stop any other edition of Dark Sun coming out, though

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

I just wanna spend mana points to transform my spells into cool and weird things like I'm playing Magicka without it as being as limited as Sorcery points with maybe some gothic options for more lovecraftian themes builds. :shobon:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Asterite34 posted:

That didn't stop any other edition of Dark Sun coming out, though

Nah, 2nd edition had the best implementation of psionics to date. It had a whole drat book with an independent spell list as long as the divine or arcane list. That's what it takes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

YggdrasilTM posted:

The module was written to encourage replayability, so there are 4 villain lairs in the module but, as written, the players will only ever see one of them. As a result of devoting a shitload of content to things that cannot be used in the same playthrough there are a bunch of sections that are borderline unusable as written because they straight up lack enough details, so the DM needs to fill in more gaps than they should in a linear module. This is especially egregious because once the players know the solution to the central mystery, there's no replay value for them, so the vast majority of DMs will never run it more than once, replayability or not.

I ran the remix from thealexandrian.net (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/45220/roleplaying-games/dragon-heist-remix-the-complete-collection) and it was fun and my players had a blast with it, but calling it a remix is borderline false advertising, it's basically its own module that just uses the Dragon Heist assets. It also, critically, is actually a heist. It requires some work on the DM to run, so be aware of that, but I don't think it actually requires more work than the base module.

For the base module, Dragon Heist is not worth running and given that there are now actual heist modules, I wouldn't even run the remix unless for some reason the group absolutely wanted it for some reason.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Nah, 2nd edition had the best implementation of psionics to date. It had a whole drat book with an independent spell list as long as the divine or arcane list. That's what it takes.

And 4E psionics was good enough to work for the setting.

Psionics is just one part of the problem with doing a 5E (or 6E) version of Dark Sun. It would need an entire book of character options that also tells you that you can't use half of the options in the PHB or the expansion. The latter might be the real issue for WotC; they don't want to release a book that tells new players they can't use the toys in their other books.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

And yet, that book was so bad Dark Sun needed to make their own complete replacement, which was in turn replaced by ANOTHER core AD&D take on psionics. (The Complete Psionics Handbook, the Will and the Way, and Player's Option: Skills and Powers, respectively.)

3e had two independent books about psionics, the first (revised) version of which was extremely well received, and didn't get a Dark Sun official book. 4e did get a Dark Sun campaign setting, but its psionics stuff was included with other options in the Player's Handbook 3.

An independent psionics supplement is neither necessary nor sufficient for a Dark Sun campaign setting to exist for an edition of D&D.

e: upon looking at it, the Will and the Way was not a complete replacement, mea culpa. Just like an 80% replacement.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 7, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dark Sun is never going to have the impact today that it had in the early 90s.

Back then it was a wild, unusual variation of D&D, with all kinds of then game-breaking innovations.

- Ability scores go up to 20!
- You start at 3rd level!
- You can play a half-giant!
- Halflings are cannibals, Elves are wild, and there are no orcs!
- Everything is different!

All of this seemed amazing at the time, but now it's no big deal and Dark Sun will only look like yet another D&D setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Would someone be willing to nerd out and explain to me why psionics in Dark Sun is so foundationally different it doesn't work with just a reskinned 5e spell system?