Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

AndyElusive posted:

Here's a fun thing to wonder about, how many Space Marines actually took part in the Seige of Terra on both sides?

That's easy, just one, Alpharius.

Or two if you count Omegon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arven posted:

Most planets are usually described as having a few million people at most, though. There is a huge gap in the lore where planets either have 100 billion people living in a hive or half a million people spread out in a few population centers. Is it authors continuing to misunderstand scale, or are they trying to explain the small force sizes? Who knows!

I've read a lot of recently written 40k books this year, and it's still very apparent that GW relies on the author's familiarity with the setting instead of having some kind of concrete lore documentation that they work off of. It wouldn't surprise me if authors have the 40k wiki open on a second screen while they write.

Some planets are villages, some planets are kingdoms, some planets are countries and some planets are very crowded

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Stephenls posted:

If I were super independently wealthy and had nothing but free time I would want to construct a Genestealer Cults army that's all kitbashed together to represent a non-GSC plain old non-chaos non-xenos mass uprising on an Imperial world against Imperial governance.

It'd probably be a terrible army because I'd have to leave out all the gribbly alien units, but I suppose "terrible army doomed to defeat in every battle" is in-theme for a grass-roots mass uprising on a hive world.

Having done something like this for a different faction, I can say half the fun of a "counts-as" army is taking an existing unit from the rules and figuring out a way to remake it from completely different models and bits (or finding a suitable .stl). So yeah, your gribbly alien stealer cult units can just become humans in heavy lifting exosuits or reprogrammed servitors or 'roided up manual labourers or chem-waste mutant thralls.

It does take more time to source the required bits and cut/drill/saw/resculpt to assemble them into the shape you want, compared to just buying the kit off the shelf, but depending on what your existing bits box looks like you may have a head start on that already so it may not work out any more expensive. Third party bits resellers are a goldmine for sourcing the rest without having to buy whole kits.

Doooooo iiiiiitttt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I love 'total conversion' armies like that

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, I finished part 2 of the OP, which is introducing people to the game itself, let me know what you think and if you want anything changed, the final part I will work on over the next few days is introducing people to the hobby aspects of the game and the community aspects.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

AndyElusive posted:

Here's a fun thing to wonder about, how many Space Marines actually took part in the Seige of Terra on both sides?

That's an easy one. All of them. Next question?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Crossposting from the painting thread.

Stephenls posted:

Not done, but I can't do anything to them until the oil wash fully dries, so... basically they can sit on the shelf for a week or two before I go back to use contrast paints to fully darken little flat plastic planes that connect some of the legs together, and maybe apply slight highlights to some of the front legs. Might also reinforce the glow more, but that could be gilding the lily. In retrospect I should have blacked out the spots between legs after doing the metal and glow but before doing the oil wash, but I was impatient.

The plan was to have glowing green spots directly underneath the scarabs to create the impression they were projecting light downward underneath them, but I hosed up a bunch of the dot positions and also made the glowing spots both too small and probably too bright, so lesson learned. Not going back to fix it -- they look fine, are already glued in place, and I can always do my other six scarab swarms better if I ever get around to doing them.

(And yeah, I hosed up the direction of the sand dunes on the one on the lower right. Oh, well. "Oh, well" is my motto for these Necrons, to be honest.)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They look great! Very creepy, they remind me of the cover of the first Necron codex

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Eediot Jedi posted:

That's easy, just one, Alpharius.

Or two if you count Omegon.

Wait really?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does anyone have a spare metal Big Choppa for the old Ork Warbosses I could toss a few bucks for?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
during the heresy every single space marine was just alpharius and omegon running around really fast

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
in one of the the later Gaunt's ghosts books (forget which one) they raid an 'archenemy' mechanicus forge-factory on an asteroid, fight through thousands of enemy soldiers, and bring 3 space marines from different chapters to support them

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

Does anyone have a spare metal Big Choppa for the old Ork Warbosses I could toss a few bucks for?

This one?

http://www.solegends.com/citcat2004us/c2004usp0227-00.jpg

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Professor Shark posted:

They look great! Very creepy, they remind me of the cover of the first Necron codex

Thanks.

They're based on the Lil Legend Studios tutorial series, which is all about recreating the color scheme of the first necron codex cover art. Most of it's behind a Patreon paywall but this one is up for free.

My execution is a bit more garish than his because, uh, I'm not as good a painter as him.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

in one of the the later Gaunt's ghosts books (forget which one) they raid an 'archenemy' mechanicus forge-factory on an asteroid, fight through thousands of enemy soldiers, and bring 3 space marines from different chapters to support them

Salvation's Reach in this case.
Which is only the tip of the iceberg of the various Dark Mechanicus shenanigans in that specific sector, not to mention in the plot of the series.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yep! I just picked up the “horns and Squig” version, but need don’t like the Squig and want to replace it with the big choppa.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Alrighty then, I'll send you a PM.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Stories like this are what helps with the whole "walking God" vibe that Space Marines should have when regular humans interact with them.

There's a similar interaction in the Eisenhorn series (I think) where everything almost goes wrong because of a single unexpected Chaos Marine.

This, and other stories where Space Marines are almost tales of myth because of how rarely sighted they are make them much more interesting than all the imagery of battle piles.

I used to really enjoy the battle report stories on the old White Dwarf issues where bulk of the fighting was done by the Imperial Guard, while a tiny squad (because that's all that can be spared) of Space Marines smash a drop pod directly into the enemy HQ.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Potato Salad posted:

Wait really?

No sorry, it was just a joke about alpha legion being secret good guys. :v:

Fall Dog posted:

There's a similar interaction in the Eisenhorn series (I think) where everything almost goes wrong because of a single unexpected Chaos Marine.

And then they have stories about how the plucky average humans kill multiple chaos marines.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

No sorry, it was just a joke about alpha legion being secret good guys. :v:

And then they have stories about how the plucky average humans kill multiple chaos marines.

In Eisenhorn it was considered a big deal when he murked a single Emperor's Children marine, and even then he did by getting the chaos boy paralyzed with a chaos artefact not a straight up fight. The Space Marine Librarian Bryntolf(?) was impressed enough to gift him a mastercrafted bolt pistol from the Astartes armory for it. I think he did try to play it off nonchalantly though and was like "Oh yeah the heretic Astartes? you don't need to worry about him anymore" and everyone raised their eyebrows, lol.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have any sellers of PLA/3D printed terrain they like? Looking to get a couple 4x4 tables going for combat patrol and some other games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have any sellers of PLA/3D printed terrain they like? Looking to get a couple 4x4 tables going for combat patrol and some other games.

These guys make incredible stuff and i painted some of them theyre great:-

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Sacrusmundus

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a few good dupes of popular derelict damaged spaceships out there as well.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have a somewhat odd question. Which army does the thread think is easiest to transport? I imagine it's more or less directly related to model count (barring huge vehicles), so Adeptus Custodes?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Orks, if you have any cargo pants.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Athas posted:

I have a somewhat odd question. Which army does the thread think is easiest to transport? I imagine it's more or less directly related to model count (barring huge vehicles), so Adeptus Custodes?

It's less to do with model count and more to do with extra crap that hangs way past the base/hull of a model, as well as anything with a flying base because those break so easily. Dark Eldar spikey bits from flyers, anything with big halberds/spears. That poo poo's awful. When I played Orks it was easy af to transport because I just had big square sections of foam I plucked out for each of my 30 man squads and I just piled them in there as they died, and they had almost nothing that would catch on foam/other models and get torn apart, even with a 250ish model count army it was easy to move around.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

If you're in the UK look up WoofooWorkshop on Etsy. Does amazing work.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Have any of you actually joined or read up on 'The Bunker' warhammer club thing white dwarf is doing? I wonder whats that like

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Al-Saqr posted:

Have any of you actually joined or read up on 'The Bunker' warhammer club thing white dwarf is doing? I wonder whats that like

I read the Bunker article and I'm not sure what the point is or how it works.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

rantmo posted:

I read the Bunker article and I'm not sure what the point is or how it works.

To collect more data about you to optimise their product portfolio.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Anyone know what the new Night Scythe / Doom Scythe base size is? I know they're shipping with the new flying stems now, but the new bases also seem to be smaller and round.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Anybody got a good suggestion for a Chaplain's crozius weapon bit? There's probably a billion good choices in AOS but I do not know that range.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What chapter are you trying to make them for?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lamenters.

I've got a bunch of old stuff and realized I can roll it all into a Death Company - but I'm going to need more Chaplains, Primaris Chaplains, and Jump Pack Chaplains.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lol i just read online that the arbites exaction squad are point for pounds one of the best squads in the game, that rules, i cant wait to include them in my strike forces.

eeme
Oct 31, 2007

Whatever. Let's go get tacos.

Stephenls posted:

Anyone know what the new Night Scythe / Doom Scythe base size is? I know they're shipping with the new flying stems now, but the new bases also seem to be smaller and round.

I dont know if this is a new or old base, it's my buddies doom scythe, but the base is oval shaped and measures 120mm by 92 mm

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Are there any good full table terrain sets that matches either the GW layout or other competitive formats? I have some very, very old necromunda terrain (like from the 90s) but that's it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

moths posted:

Anybody got a good suggestion for a Chaplain's crozius weapon bit? There's probably a billion good choices in AOS but I do not know that range.

stormcast eternals are similarly-sized and -themed, especially if runes and lightning bolts suit your army

there's also quite a few third-party options if you want to go that route

wins32767 posted:

Are there any good full table terrain sets that matches either the GW layout or other competitive formats? I have some very, very old necromunda terrain (like from the 90s) but that's it.

that necromunda terrain is classic and beloved because you can print your own cardboard to fit with it, to make nearly anything. making an Official Table would mainly involve making some bases for the buildings then printing walls to fit those pieces on rigid card

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

stormcast eternals are similarly-sized and -themed, especially if runes and lightning bolts suit your army

This was it, thanks!

I landed on Stormcast Stormsmite Mauls, which look like they'll be perfect with the "head" cut down and some purity seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

wins32767 posted:

Jucoci Battlezone Creation Kit 36PCS Tabletop Terrain Wargame Terrains Set Compatible with WH40K https://a.co/d/aY1xsJH