Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Regarding no hands…I can do it fine on my super six Evo with 25’s, but did horrible on my synapse with 25’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big Blue got some new parts! But the real fun is en route, and it's gonna be stupid.

In the good way! But here we go:

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Mederlock posted:

Future plans: These cranks are both 110/74 BCD with room for triple rings. We found that the lowest gear wasn't quite enough to climb the hills during our gravel ride or around the big elevation changes in our local area. For reference, it's a 5 spd 14-28 in the rear and 38/48 up front. Either we do a 5 speed to 7 speed conversion and get one of those "megarange" freewheels with a 34T dinner plate on the back, with all the redishing/axle changes/RD change/etc. that entails, or we just slap a 28T(maybe 30/32?) Granny ring in the front and find a decent triple front derailleur. Going 3X up front is certainly the easiest way to go about it, but there's been a lot of :chloe: faces when I've brought that up at the co-op...

Great work on those bikes! I would just get the 3x chainset fwiw. I live in a reasonably hilly place, carry varying amounts of poo poo on my bike, and would sooner lose a finger than my granny gear. Sometimes you just want to get up a hill without sweating through your clothes, y'know?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Most of my current bikes:

At least the ones I ride regularly. Think I'm going to add an XC bike, later in the summer.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
11 years ago, I bought a janky Schwinn road bike that some dude had converted into a tri bike and covered with Pinarello stickers.

I kept most of the parts and transferred them to a Kestrel frame that actually fit me. This was literally the only ride I did with this bike lol

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

iospace posted:

Big Blue got some new parts! But the real fun is en route, and it's gonna be stupid.

In the good way! But here we go:

Goddamn this is like my grail bike

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

This is my nicer bike. 2014 Trek 1.5. Nothing fancy but solid enough that I'm the weak link. Tiagra stuff, weirdly good wheels for what was an entry level road bike at the time. Picture is a bit old but I haven't changed much beyond wear items and swapping out the oldschool square taper bb and noodly cranks as well as getting a slightly longer seat post in there because this one was sliiightly past minimum insert. The color shows dirt so horribly I have to keep it obsessively clean.

This is my commuter presented in its full unwashed and barely maintained natural splendor, cheapest new fixed gear with an actual cro mo frame I could find in 2017. It's actually got (slightly) internal cable routing which is neat for me because I don't like foot retention but enjoy stopping. The leather saddle is a recent addition and I'm not sure whether I love the look (feels too clunky on such a skinny frame and a modern amount of exposed post) but it's easy to spot in a bike rack and getting quite comfy now that it's breaking in a bit.

I need new wheel bolts and then I'll tighten the chain, I'm too scared to loosen these rusty boys for fear of rounding them and being unable to tighten them back up lol.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
e

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 2, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jestery posted:

Goddamn this is like my grail bike

I forgot to post the final version here.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I love all of these bikes

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ilkhan posted:

Canyon Endurace CF 7 Di2 fresh out of the box. Taking off the reflectors and putting on proper accessories (pedals, Garmin, etc) over the next week and will update when its set. Took it around the block (literally) and feels great.

Clamp the seat post instead of the top tube w carbon bikes. It can be easy to clamp too hard and crush the tube.

Nice bike and congrats!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just finished a complete rebuild of my 10 year old CX bike, which I'm now calling a gravel bike to be trendy.

Replaced:
- Bottom bracket bearings
- Chainrings
- Brake and shifter cables and housings
- Bar tape
- Brake calipers and discs
- Wheels and tires (now tubeless)

Rebuilt:
- Literally everything else

Too late in the day to bed the brakes in and take it for a ride but tomorrow's weather is looking perfect to break it in.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Picture v2
Canyon Endurace CF 7 Di2
Accessories are on but not totally situated. Missed putting on the water bottle for the picture somehow. Lights showed up today, first ride with them tomorrow. Eager to see how the radar works, I expect I'll appreciate it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Try to move it down a little bit further, away from the bag

Anyway I wore down my challenge tires enough to swap back to conti terra speeds, swapped a 11-34 cassette in anticipation of getting up a mountain this weekend

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Try to move it down a little bit further, away from the bag

Anyway I wore down my challenge tires enough to swap back to conti terra speeds, swapped a 11-34 cassette in anticipation of getting up a mountain this weekend

Digging the contrasting color on the shifter cable housing. Slim tubes and external cable routing is a good look imo.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Moved to a new town with a ton of multi-use paths and two fairly decent grocery options by bike, so I splurged on my dream car-replacement bicycle:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

sim posted:

Moved to a new town with a ton of multi-use paths and two fairly decent grocery options by bike, so I splurged on my dream car-replacement bicycle:

I have one of those and love it! So useful as a people and thing carrier

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

maxe posted:

i love that Fuji livery, a friend of mine had one in white/red, always reminded me of this

Ooo I did love my SST, almost as much as they loved decorating bikes with "Fuji"

Had to sell it for a dumb US made ti frame that later cracked :mad:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Immediately recognized that bike.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Which is funny because I only had it and the Serotta* for about 2 years each, but my "I'll just build up a race bike quick-like" is going on 9 years.

*lmao, they're back in business as of 2020? I should make Ben repair my frame.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sim posted:

gently caress yes. UA's aren't my cup of tea but they're awesome bikes in their own right.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I don't ride or post this bike enough

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finally took my road bike for it's first proper actual ride after many, many poo poo weather weekends prevented me

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sim posted:

Hell yeah, cargo bike crew.

Was much more stable than you would think it would be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to choose to imagine the stuff on the back is an enormous haggis

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Cervelo is honestly just lapping most other road bike makers w their paint jobs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to choose to imagine the stuff on the back is an enormous haggis

If only. Three bags of mulch.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was overcome by an urge to build bikes and this was the first couple piles of parts to fall into my lap. Started as a neglected SE Draft in a backyard. BB sounded and felt like a pepper grinder, wheels were out of true, freewheel was bad, brakes were...there, paint was pretty poo poo. Fork, stem, and surprisingly the headset were all fine. I de-rusted the frame inside (mostly) and out, sanded it a bit, and gave it a stand-back-and-squint Rustoleum paint job pretty close the original color. Meanwhile, I found a guy selling all the parts of a ss/fixie he never assembled, including an older steel frame I'm keeping for a future build. From him, I got new Chinese cranks, pedals, and wheels, and a Sram chain. Brand new UN26 BB dug out of a bin at the local coop, a pair of pretty nice new dual pivot Tektro brakes, a take-off saddle, and wider, higher, more pullback bars, all from the coop.
All together and not counting a couple new tools, I think I'm in for $206, including a new set of cowhorn bars, unfinished steel frame, some new bar tape, and a whole drat 1989 Fuji Tahoe not featured in this build.
I'm going to let my sister ride it in a bike parade coming up, probably dink around on it myself for a while, and sell it when I get around to building a single speed steel townie with a cooler older frame and nicer components.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
She's a beaut!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Bicycle.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

That’s a really clean setup on the front! What bar bag is that?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

I_Socom posted:

That’s a really clean setup on the front! What bar bag is that?

It is a Post Carry Co I usually have on another bike, works well though!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
More cargo bike (Tern HSD S+), Puppy loves it.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

More cargo bike (Tern HSD S+), Puppy loves it.

Nice! I wish my dog wasn't so anxious. We tried to get her on the back of the Radwagon and it was a failure. I'm hoping to train her to at least be okay with the Urban Arrow. Would be nice to be able to take her to some farther away parks without getting in the car.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

We once put my dog in a pannier bag and took her home that way, just the chillest dog. She does get antsy if she's in the trailer and she wants to run, though.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 8, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sim posted:

Nice! I wish my dog wasn't so anxious. We tried to get her on the back of the Radwagon and it was a failure. I'm hoping to train her to at least be okay with the Urban Arrow. Would be nice to be able to take her to some farther away parks without getting in the car.
In my experience dogs like to be low to the ground and have "walls" around them. Give her all the treatos and start by just getting her in/out without moving.

The UA is great for medium dog hauling, the only thing it misses is a door for low-height access.

Also always, *always* restrain your pup when you ride. Our pup seemed to be totally chill and 20+ rides in tried to bolt. Restraints saved us a lot of heartache.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Babby's first full custom build. I picked up a beat up Trek 930 from the late 90's and painted the frame magenta (first time spray painting anything). Fork is a random surly fork in similar condition. This frame rides smoothly! I had not expected to notice, but even compared to my aluminum 140mm hard tail on 2.8 tires, this feels smoother on paved ground.

Use case is coffee runs and paved path riding. I'll probably fit a basket to the front eventually.

Y'all got any suggestions for a bar and stem combo that would be more comfy for the wife? She's a little short for the frame, so more back sweep and rise would be nice. She didn't like my MTB bro bar..

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

XYLOPAGUS posted:

This frame rides smoothly! I had not expected to notice, but even compared to my aluminum 140mm hard tail on 2.8 tires, this feels smoother on paved ground.

Wouldn't that be down to smoother tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Use case is coffee runs and paved path riding. I'll probably fit a basket to the front eventually.

Y'all got any suggestions for a bar and stem combo that would be more comfy for the wife? She's a little short for the frame, so more back sweep and rise would be nice. She didn't like my MTB bro bar..

You could check out the Ritchey Kyote. I spent a while looking and it's pretty much the cheapest "alt" bar still available from a good brand that rates it for some off road use. There are also a bunch of similar Chinese bars on Amazon that might be fine for your intended path riding.
The Kyote is super wide, I cut mine down quite a bit which put the grips in a similar position as a standard bar but with a lot more sweep. If the reach is currently ok you could use the same stem (unless that's a 35mm clamp?) Leaving it full width would give you more back sweep but then the width might give her problems.

Edit: Velo Orange also has a bunch of bars with lots of sweep
https://velo-orange.com/collections/flat-and-upright-bars

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 10, 2023