Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got a copy of the Glorantha Sourcebook, thinking it was the Guide to Glorantha.

No regrets, it looks amazing, but lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, the sourcebook is probably more useful. The Guide to Glorantha is chock-full of pages devoted to worthless bullshit.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
True but I'll be damned if the Guide to Glorantha is not the exact thing I was looking for when it came to Glorantha. I'll likely never play but it's still my favorite setting and the Guide is nothing but pure lore.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, the sourcebook is probably more useful. The Guide to Glorantha is chock-full of pages devoted to worthless bullshit.

What's the worthless bit. There are so many bits I've stolen to make things more fun in my other games.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's filled with page after page of highly-detailed terrain maps that serve no useful purpose whatsoever, and details of a vast number of very small locations, each of which gets exactly one (1) detail about them, which is not enough to ever use them, but which, collectively, make the book bloated.

It's like one of the old Forgotten Realms supplements that includes every single word Greenwood ever put into his campaign notes on a topic, whether it was relevant or not. Every city that was ever given a name has to be in there so that the setting can look "real", whether those details are useful to anybody or not.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Also the pdf bookmarks are completely useless.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

andrew smash posted:

I once did a game entirely based around succeeding at this task, made the ducks steadfast allies first etc. when I asked they agreed to join but a law speaker from some other clan jumped in and found a reason why they couldn't. To this day I don't know if it's possible.

I think that's the best case option.

Also I like the guide, just because it gives enough of a base to start doing things outside dragon pass and prax, which are and shall be the only places that will ever get any detail at all.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

andrew smash posted:

I once did a game entirely based around succeeding at this task, made the ducks steadfast allies first etc. when I asked they agreed to join but a law speaker from some other clan jumped in and found a reason why they couldn't. To this day I don't know if it's possible.

It’s absolutely possible. There are several layers of success, from making an alliance with them to fully integrating them into your tribe. Nothing gets mentioned in the victory screens tho, sadly.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

I made a lil' CYOA, let's have fun:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024046

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The prosopaedia just dropped, and it has finally ended the Elmal/Yelmalio debate for all time.

lotta boobs and dicks in it as well.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

The prosopaedia just dropped, and it has finally ended the Elmal/Yelmalio debate for all time until the next attempt to finally end the Elmal/Yelmalio debate for all time.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Picked up the Pendragon starter set as well and it's funny to see mass battle rules there. Still no date on the RQ Gamemaster's book those are supposed to be in.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

The prosopaedia just dropped, and it has finally ended the Elmal/Yelmalio debate for all time.

I think Jeff mostly managed to kick the hornet's nest a few more times on the way there.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Imagine believing you've settled a debate about glorantha lore, that doesn't acknowledge the divinity of the only God to transcend the limits of contradiction

(USER BANNED FOR PROMOTING LUNAR BULLAHIT)

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I am with you, glory to Zzabur and his ability to transcend the poor opinions of those who know nothing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Only He, Zzabur, possessed the terrible secret of logging off.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

2 more books just dropped, might they actually stick to a decent publishing schedule? no because these were all planned to be the same book

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Heroquesting rules? No? Big surprise

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Vadun posted:

Heroquesting rules? No? Big surprise

My guess is late next year by the very earliest. They’ve posted just the text of the rules on their forum though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I can't wait to see what gets copied and pasted from an old edition into the new layout.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not a super Glorantha lore nerd, but the idea that if the God Learners recognized two gods as being equivalent, they're literally and objectively the same being, sounds... wrong?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not a super Glorantha lore nerd, but the idea that if the God Learners recognized two gods as being equivalent, they're literally and objectively the same being, sounds... wrong?

They were often right, and often wrong.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

They were often right, and often wrong.

Well, yeah, that's my point; the two things that the Goddess Switch demonstrated were:

1) that the God Learners were right, and that gods from different pantheons were equivalent, and
2) that the God Learners were wrong, because the goddesses were also distinct from each other and couldn't perform each others roles correctly.

Going from that to, "yeah, they're exactly the same thing" seems like someone missed the subtext (again).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

There were multiple ways for the God Learners to declare two gods as equivalent. Some of them involved convincing the worshippers. If everyone stops worshipping Elmal as a separate deity and recognizes him as an aspect of Yelmalio, then that’s what he will become.

It isn’t actually that simple, of course.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, yeah, that's my point; the two things that the Goddess Switch demonstrated were:

1) that the God Learners were right, and that gods from different pantheons were equivalent, and
2) that the God Learners were wrong, because the goddesses were also distinct from each other and couldn't perform each others roles correctly.

Going from that to, "yeah, they're exactly the same thing" seems like someone missed the subtext (again).

What was that quote from the old material? It was along the lines of.

'The God Learners successfully switched over the Earth Goddesses of X and Y and thought it went fine.
Only now no grain would grow in X and no marriage would last longer than a year in Y.'

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You can identify gods with one another in the monomyth (and often even prove you're right), but the societal relationships of a religion can still be enormously different. Just because someone else's rites work doesn't mean they are useful to you.

Ernalda and Dendara may be the same god, but Dendara's societal role relies on her being the eternally loyal wife - which Ernaldan rites and religion cannot support so marriages fail. Meanwhile Dendara doesn't have Flamal as a husband-protector so her rites can't support fruit. (adjust as necessary if you prefer different goddesses to have been in the Switch)

In the third age, we can certainly say that Elmal and Yelmalio are the same figure but the adoption of Solar rites and traditions by Sartarite groups fundamentally has similar consequences - their religion is no longer ritually subservient to Orlanth. And that is an enormous problem for the political society in which they live. (I don't think it's explicitly come up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Orlanth Rex magic stopped working on them)

And Monrogh takes this to a whole new level. Consider, "these are two different names for the same god" is not the same as "we should stop riding horses and reorganize our entire society around supporting a heavy infantry phalanx". Elmal can be identified with Kargzant as well, but this is less useful in Dragon Pass. Yelmalio's magic however helps you go beat on the Kitori (or trolls if you prefer) and steal their land.

Of course if you truly want to understand the ineffable nature of the divine then you will have to follow in the footsteps of your predecessors and do a poo poo load of drugs.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The book is called cults of runequest, not Gods of Gloranrha. It’s kind of tautologically true that if two temples mutually recognise each others initiates, they are part of the same cult. And recognising initiates is mostly done via magic, not written records. So the ‘objective’ truth of the rulebook is telling you what results that magic (e.g. Soul sight) returns.

If the cult magic is in some sense getting that identity wrong, then the cult will eventually change or collapse. The God Learner version of this didn’t last a year.

But it is possible to be less wrong without being sufficiently right.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Just chiming in to say the Prosopaedia is great, and I'm really looking forward to reading the cult books. The art is amazing since they got Katrin Dirim on board!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

You gotta respect the God learners hustle though.
No one else was farming the end game content like they did.

--

Prosopaedia is pretty great, but it would have worked even better as a webpage with hyperlinks.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Tias posted:

Just chiming in to say the Prosopaedia is great, and I'm really looking forward to reading the cult books. The art is amazing since they got Katrin Dirim on board!

One thing I didn't like was identifying Gbaji explicitly as Nysalor and not Arkat. That's not wrong, exactly, but it's disappointing to think that it's right. Something tricky happened on the Heroplane when those two confronted each other and it's not clear whether the survivor of the confrontation was even the same being.

Issaries posted:

You gotta respect the God learners hustle though.
No one else was farming the end game content like they did.

Except that the EWF masterminds understood they were farming the end game content while oriented improperly within Time, meaning they were actually disempowering themselves like complete dopes.

You really have to admire the number of people in Glorantha who figured out creative ways to endanger the world. That's part of what makes it such a good adventuring setting.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

When are the 2 new cult books out in PDF anyway?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Narsham posted:

One thing I didn't like was identifying Gbaji explicitly as Nysalor and not Arkat. That's not wrong, exactly, but it's disappointing to think that it's right. Something tricky happened on the Heroplane when those two confronted each other and it's not clear whether the survivor of the confrontation was even the same being.

I noticed that, although I feel as though it's likely that the Lunar book will do the opposite and identify Gbaji as Arkat.

Deptfordx posted:

Two days ago.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Deptfordx posted:

Right now? I ordered the hardcopy versions from Chaosium last night; I got the PDFs right away.

https://www.chaosium.com/cults-of-runequest-the-earth-goddesses-pdf/
https://www.chaosium.com/cults-of-runequest-the-lightbringers-pdf/

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Narsham posted:

Except that the EWF masterminds understood they were farming the end game content while oriented improperly within Time, meaning they were actually disempowering themselves like complete dopes.

You really have to admire the number of people in Glorantha who figured out creative ways to endanger the world. That's part of what makes it such a good adventuring setting.

Jeff generally seems very into having concrete answers for everything, which is one of the issues I have with the new Runequest. The other is that it feels like he wants everything to be like it was in the 80s as much as he can.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Seshnelans and Rokarists confirmed to be illogical; Theoblanc wails and tears out his beard:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gorelab posted:

Jeff generally seems very into having concrete answers for everything, which is one of the issues I have with the new Runequest. The other is that it feels like he wants everything to be like it was in the 80s as much as he can.

Are these...consonant goals?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Narsham posted:

"Something tricky" explains more or less every interaction Arkat ever had with anything.

Jeff's been rather straightforward about this being a biased source, and "today" (1425-ish) Orlanthi would most often remember Gbaji as Nysalor. It's not meant to be a restricting canon document, as much as something that will be accessible to all the new players in Dragon Pass.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Six Ages: Lights Going Out has been released
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2278010/Six_Ages_2_Lights_Going_Out/

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
What is Six Ages like, compared to KoDP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Very much the same gameplay, streamlined a little and with fewer truly unfair "lol gently caress u" events. A single game is probably shorter but there's replayability.

I just played a little of game 2, interesting how they manage to create a completely different vibe with the same system.