Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2022 BRZ and Subaru's paint is so bad that I washed some bird poop off that was on the car for...8? 10? Hours tops? And still had to polish the poop etching out with compound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

What?

I have questions about that junction. From the picture, it looked bolted to the chassis without an insulator.

It's plastic, bolted to plastic.

The heavy gauge wire goes only to the starter solenoid. That fusible link on the bottom of the stack goes to the car's electrical system.

It confused me at first too, but that's just the way they did it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Powershift posted:

It confused me at first too, but that's just the way they did it.

That’s fuckin’ gnarly.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Onedrive decided to remind this happened 5 years ago.

This happened just one day ago.

And the other side is looking like this.

But still, at least it's now moving forward.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Captain Kosmos posted:

Onedrive decided to remind this happened 5 years ago.

This happened just one day ago.

And the other side is looking like this.

But still, at least it's now moving forward.

I had to look through your post history to divine what kind of car this is cause those are some wacky calipers. Of course it’s Saab.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I was more confused by the brass calipers.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I had to look through your post history to divine what kind of car this is cause those are some wacky calipers. Of course it’s Saab.
Girling calibers, at least Alfa Romeo used those calibers. They are just so stupid and overly complicated.

It was fun when I accidentally mixed the left and right parts :shepicide:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I was more confused by the brass calipers.
It's beautiful gold :colbert:
Wanted paint them something stupid.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Full Collapse posted:

That’s fuckin’ gnarly.

An insulated post connection like that is very useful if you do wiring to new accessories. I used one on the International to a fuse box.

Positive Insulated Battery Power Junction Post Block 3/8 Lug X 16 Thread (Red) https://a.co/d/j1KFfTT

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

An insulated post connection like that is very useful if you do wiring to new accessories. I used one on the International to a fuse box.

Positive Insulated Battery Power Junction Post Block 3/8 Lug X 16 Thread (Red) https://a.co/d/j1KFfTT

GM trucks used to have something similar for power junctions, either on the firewall or the inner fender. I grabbed a number of them many years ago at the wrecking yard for potential future use. Of course, I still have them. I did use one on my Cutlass, though.

BTW, it turns out, I'm the PO:

Darchangel posted:

Today's concept: "oh, look - if it isn't the consequences of my actions."

The Outback was still getting too hot from time to time, and I've never been happy that I have never seen what I now know is the main fan run properly in the car.
My wife found a helpful video from Main Street Garage which covered fan code diagnosis on a 2003 Outback, albeit a 2.5L. I broke out the manual and discovered that there was actually a useful section on the cooling fans, and they are different on a 3.0 H6, mainly four relays instead of two, enabling 3-speeds on each fan.

Four fuses, 2 for power to the fans, and two for power to the relays.
Start with those - one is blown. AHA!
Replace than and it blows immediately. AHA! (poo poo.)
It also blows immediately if I remove the relay and jumper the socket.

OK, then, now I need to diagnose a short. Output goes straight to ground with like .3 Ohm resistance.
Nothing obvious in the relay center (the whole relay block comes out of the relay center - that's handy!) Nothing obvious in the wiring under that going into the fender, so I pull the headlight to get access to the inner fender area (the cabling goes into the fender, up behind the headlight, down the core support, and then along the bottom of the core support to the radiator. I can't find anything in the bit along the bottom of the radiator, so I need to check inside the fender.

And, what's that?:

More light:

What's on the other side of that?

...I didn't.

loving Christ, I did.
:stare: :negative: :shepicide:

Been arcing just a bit there. Thank god I missed that 12 ga white/red there - that's a main power wire. clipped the yellow green that powers the fan, and the blue/red and light blue/white. don't know where they go, but I'm sure it wasn't great.

So basically, the main fan hasn't worked since I installed the remote start alarm. It finally just go hot enough to work the secondary fan to death, and for that fan to not be enough, sometimes.

None of those wires was severed, just the insulation clipped, so I taped them all up, bundled it all back up, and didn't put that screw back.
Went and bought some more fuses, since this is the only car I have that uses the micro blade fuses, and I haven't built up a collection of those yet, and it worked like a champ.

What I'm saying is that I got lazy and didn't check what was behind a panel I screwed into (and I'm pretty sure I pulled the headlight to get that siren in there...) shorted a power wire to ground, which caused one fan to work itself to failure, replaced that for $120, then bought another fan, also $120 without checking the actual function of the original, all for an problem I caused. So, lazy and stupid.
Yep, that's about right. Oy.

Well, it's fixed.

I also adjusted the new headlights on the Crown Vic and got that right one down where it should be, and put LED bulbs in the front park/turn lights:

and adjusted the rear camera. It had a little twist to it. Had to open up the screw holes for the camera a little bit in the 3D printed license plate light mount I made for it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Your Crown Vic is so nice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

Seriously. I'm so over crown vics. Except for this one.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

3D printed an adapter for electric fuel pump, so it fits into the original place

Looks like its raining so I have to do something inside for a while.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

Motronic posted:

Seriously. I'm so over crown vics. Except for this one.

Thanks. I won't show you the peeling paint, to preserve your illusions.
I do like my V8 sledgehammer-simple couch, though.

edit: it needs shocks and struts, too, and while I'm at it, it *might* get lowered an inch or so with custom springs.
edit edit: but what I really want is airbags/airstruts.

Captain Kosmos posted:

3D printed an adapter for electric fuel pump, so it fits into the original place

Neat. Is this replacing a mechanical pump on the engine block, or just a different style of mounting on the frame or whatever?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 2, 2023

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Neat. Is this replacing a mechanical pump on the engine block, or just a different style of mounting on the frame or whatever?

The engine block, don't want at this point drill holes. Just need to get it running and get it through the vehicle inspection. After that going to get a better pump and a smarter placement. That is just the cheapest pump that I could find... It's going to be that pump until the car dies? Isn't it?

Installed it when the rain stopped for a while.

fake edit: everything in the picture is temporary, going to put clamps on hoses, a proper ground for the pump etc. Just for testing the engine, it was running pretty rough.

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 2, 2023

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I had to drop the cylinder heads off at the machine shop again. It turns out with the guide plates that the rocker stud bosses needed to be machined down. I should have them back by this week and then I can get everything fully assembled.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Captain Kosmos posted:

That's clever! I'm annoyed that hadn't already been invented, two of my vehicles would have that by now.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Filmed the car idling for the Saab club, but after a while car decided start to run "properly".
https://i.imgur.com/nZJYJ2L.mp4
Guess putting new oil into the carb and put some Hylomar on the vacuum nippl... uh that a something different than I was thinking...
Installed also new disc on the right side and put some anti-chip coating on the wheel wells and some other smaller stuff. Still feels that I didn't get anything done, cause I couldn't install the calipers. Caliber is missing bleed nipple and short brake line. 28 in this picture.

StormDrain posted:

That's clever! I'm annoyed that hadn't already been invented, two of my vehicles would have that by now.
The main reason to got the printer was to print that kinda things for cars and bikes, that was the first one that I did. Most of the time I'm printing slugs or bunnies to the kids or calibrating it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Just a few more spots to fix up and it should be ready for a final prime and block.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

putting new oil into the carb

This is something only a European car would do.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

The right caliper was stuck so I had to pull the caliper apart so couldn't get that installed today. So I made something stupid

Second prototype. Pretty bad, but should work after cleaning. Still too tight and have to see how long I can make it.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Finally drove it after like 5 years, didn't really run that well, and died when I came back to the yard from the end of the road. Still, yay! :toot:
The brakes aren't really behaving like I want them to, and the handbrake doesn't work at all. On top of that, it started overheating. I guess those five years of sitting around have caused some water to evaporate

The good news is that the fuel pump adapter didn't brake even when the engine started to heat, too bad the fuel pump died. Who would have guessed that the cheapest pump there is is a complete piece of poo poo? :shrug:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
HIF-6 SU? I'd be interested in one of those if you were making a run of them

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

DJ Commie posted:

HIF-6 SU? I'd be interested in one of those if you were making a run of them

Zenith Stromberg 175 CD, it "fits" on top of the Saabs adapter for the intake hose. Could draw one for you, if you give me dimensions and find a printer to print it. Live in Finland so don't know about sending them.

Darchangel posted:

This is something only a European car would do.

Yeah... It's a weird sentence.

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 6, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Broke the tail light on my car trying to remove it, spent a day trying to fix it.

Grooving out the cuts, filling with epoxy, sanding

Clear coating

Back on the car, not perfect but intact and cracks sealed. But I got a spare coming I found for 10€.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did an oil change on the 330i today. Was checking other things since I just bought it. The coolant is low. These cars have a few things that can cause that. There's a recall for one coolant line but that has been done. Another possibility is the oil filter housing can crack and dump coolant.

That looks a bit milky to me. However, pouring it out of the drain pan into a clear jug and it just looked dark. I'm gonna see if there's any separation after it sits for a bit. I'm gonna do the transmission fluid and plugs in a couple weeks, Maybe I should just do the filter housing while I'm at it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Is the area around the coolant cap crusty? I got a low coolant warning or two on the B58, and the cap was clearly leaking. Topped off and a new cap, no issues since then

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

Is the area around the coolant cap crusty? I got a low coolant warning or two on the B58, and the cap was clearly leaking. Topped off and a new cap, no issues since then

Not at all. I added some coolant a little while ago, we'll see if it goes anywhere. The oil in the jug still looks just fine. No visible difference from oil in any of the other jugs that I really need to take for recycling. That poo poo builds up fast with how much I drive my daily and the yearly oil change on the M3 and S2000.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Went out without a plan, figured i would do the truck rust, thought i wasn't going to half rear end it, thoroughly half-assed it. Based on it's adhesion to skin, i'm fairly sure the rust encapsulating paint i got from the RV dealer is just white label POR 15.

Started a bit on the toyota.

Trunk after cleaning. a little surface rust but that's it. Spare tire was original. 3 digit date code ending in 7.

It has a 2000lb hitch.

original tool bag + tools and 700kg Aisin jack.

Pulled the fuel level sender to get a look in the tank. It's half full, but half full of bleck, The screws were naturally cheese so i ended up cutting a slot in most of them

The drat POR 15 fuel tank kit is up to $150 :negative:

A new tank is $221 on rockauto but then $100 shipping.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 8, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

stripeys+clay bar+wax

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Very retro, but it needs some kind of manly word across the tailgate in the same colour scheme.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bird with big dick posted:

stripeys+clay bar+wax

looking good

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
After sitting in the desert since december of last year I drove out, switched the power back on and the engine lit off like I parked it yesterday.
Drove it 500miles home without a hitch despite a broken transmission. Didn't do a single fuckin thing outside of get in and mash the pedal to the floor and receive turbo whine.
Never climbed over 200F despite it being 105+ outside. The cab had to have been north of 110. I downed over a gallon of water. Maybe 6 liters worth for you proper types. 7 hours in the easy bake oven masquerading as a truck cab, over 15 hours on the road that day, about a thousand miles all in.

This old piece of poo poo stillllll got it.

Despite being pretty sore from being bounced around, I don't hate it enough to cut it up and drag it across the scales.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bird with big dick posted:

stripeys+clay bar+wax

Oh wow I didn't know it was a TRD.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

Oh wow I didn't know it was a TRD.

How rude, I don't think it looks like a turd

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

I killed the gearbox, to add to the exhaust that got ripped open by a metal plate last week.

Pretty much hate cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Some critical parts of my fuel tank strap were missing.

Finally got another tank of acetylene and nipped the last 2 bolts off that I couldn't get to with a grinder. Tank is currently being held up with ratchet straps - it's totally safe and not sketchy at all.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Got my oil pan for the 383 and the heads back from the machine shop and on the motor. I had to have the machine shop cut down the rocker stud bosses to make the guide plates work. I got one more week till this thing goes on the dyno!

Valt fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 11, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Valt posted:

Got my oil pan for the 383 and the heads back from the machine shop and on the motor. I had to have the machine shop cut down the rocker stud bosses to make the guide plates work. I got one more week till this thing goes on the dyno!

i like that you clearly painted the block and heads separately (bare deck surface, casting marks, gasket surfaces; unpainted head bolts). looks a lot better to me than something that has just been spray-bombed after assembly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Went out without a plan, figured i would do the truck rust, thought i wasn't going to half rear end it, thoroughly half-assed it. Based on it's adhesion to skin, i'm fairly sure the rust encapsulating paint i got from the RV dealer is just white label POR 15.

Started a bit on the toyota.

Trunk after cleaning. a little surface rust but that's it. Spare tire was original. 3 digit date code ending in 7.

It has a 2000lb hitch.

original tool bag + tools and 700kg Aisin jack.

Pulled the fuel level sender to get a look in the tank. It's half full, but half full of bleck, The screws were naturally cheese so i ended up cutting a slot in most of them

Thankfully, mine had a new tank from the PO. Mind you, they didn't clean out the stopped up return line, which caused me vapor lock on a number of occasions. Didn't figure that out until after installing an electric fuel pump, but I very much don't regret that. Makes it much easier to start after sitting long enough for the fuel in the bowls to evaporate, which it does often.
So check your fuel lines in and out in that pickup/sender.

Powershift posted:

Very retro, but it needs some kind of manly word across the tailgate in the same colour scheme.

Concur, and also white wagon wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Just buy a quart of the sealer and the metal prep. You can use pretty much any degreaser and hot water. That cuts it down to around $100.