Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I think (obviously big spoilers) Prey 2017 did a good job at it too. Cause like everything mostly still happened and it fit the games themes and they built towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think (obviously big spoilers) Prey 2017 did a good job at it too. Cause like everything mostly still happened and it fit the games themes and they built towards it.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it. That game did it well too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Blaziken386 posted:

been playing SoS: AWL on the switch and goddamn, it's the game i've been wanting pretty much since I first played AWL on the gamecube.

Was this the one (in the original) where you and every else slowly aged and the game only lasted a handful of years? (not that most people will play more than a few anyways)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So, I grabbed a Steam Deck on the summer sale. I was planning on playing Stardew Valley, I probably still will, but it occurred to me this would be a good time to play a new farming game. What are the favorites for the genre on Steam, ideally that play specifically well on the Deck? I remember Rune Factory 4 gets recommended a lot, I played RF1 back on my DS in the day but I haven't touched the series since then.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Was this the one (in the original) where you and every else slowly aged and the game only lasted a handful of years? (not that most people will play more than a few anyways)
yes

though, the special edition, and this version, also has a postgame "heaven mode" where you can keep farming after you die, if you want.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bremen posted:

So, I grabbed a Steam Deck on the summer sale. I was planning on playing Stardew Valley, I probably still will, but it occurred to me this would be a good time to play a new farming game. What are the favorites for the genre on Steam, ideally that play specifically well on the Deck? I remember Rune Factory 4 gets recommended a lot, I played RF1 back on my DS in the day but I haven't touched the series since then.

I picked up Wylde Flowers in the sale and have really been enjoying it. The character art was kinda off-putting at first, but after playing for awhile I've stopped noticing it.

Roots of Pacha also plays really well on deck.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bremen posted:

Rune Factory 4 remains one of the top 3 games in the genre. Definitely play it if you haven't yet.

The other game I usually recommend is My time at Portia or it's EA sequal My time at Sandrock. No idea if either play well with Deck.

Wylde Flowers has a demo. Maybe give that a try, the demo has enough of the game to give a good idea if you'll like it or not.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

KittyEmpress posted:

I dunno how I'd improve it, but I wish the graveyard was more central to the economic aspect. I guess it sort of is still since it provides the means for zombies, and they're essential for like everything. But it'd be nice if the actual Graves were more than a money sink.

Just swap graveyard and church quality for faith/money per sermon and it would probably be enough. Or at least take it into account in some way for faith generation. Maybe increase faith numbers so there's some finer grain to it, but even without you could modify the sermons to make it work.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
If I'm not mistaken, graveyard quality increases money per sermon, while the church objects increase faith per sermon. So there is a monetary aspect to filling out the graveyard.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm really enjoying AWL. Most fun I've had in one of these kind of games in a few years. The pacing seems perfect and the world actually progressing is a nice change.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I really wanted to like Graveyard Keeper but I bounced off hardcore on the writing and general feel of the game.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Sylphosaurus posted:

I really wanted to like Graveyard Keeper but I bounced off hardcore on the writing and general feel of the game.

I will say that while I played a ton of it, I hated the writing. Juvenile is probably the most polite way to describe it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sylphosaurus posted:

This. I've said this often in this thread, but the moment when I walked away was when I had to torture somebody to death.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. I've said this often in this thread, but the moment when I walked away was when I had to torture somebody to death.

I’m sorry what? I thought it was a chill life sim game.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm completely blanking on when that happened and I've played the game to completion twice. Guess it's a good thing I didn't pay any attention to the dialogue!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The witch burnings, I imagine.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CK07 posted:

I will say that while I played a ton of it, I hated the writing. Juvenile is probably the most polite way to describe it.

Yeah it's got that middle school cynicism that South Park and GTA revel in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Megazver posted:

The witch burnings, I imagine.

Yup.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Talorat posted:

I’m sorry what? I thought it was a chill life sim game.

Nah it's an edgy life-sim game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know if Sandrock's saves are going to be compatible after the next update? I'm wondering if it's worth starting a game now or if I should just wait.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 16, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's a Wholesome Games sale on Steam atm:

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/WholesomeGames2023

And here's a good video that lists some more obscure Farm-ish games you might not have heard of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdpQfzqXew

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

More or less finished up Roots of Pacha, and I enjoyed my experience with it. I don't know how much I'll continue my current run; I've hit a point where I can make 10,000 or so contribution points a day and there's just nothing to really spend it on. But at the same time, the process of tooling up to that point was incredibly enjoyable and I was spending everything I had to get to that point. There's still a lot I could do, but there's very little point to continuing to expand my farm or processing capability.

But yeah, the game is definitely pleasant, and the mechanics have enough depth to make it interesting. Since ingredients can be processed in a number of ways, and can be processed in a number of ways, optimizing production, farming, and animal husbandry alongside gathering the raw materials to keep making infrastructure is a fun gameplay loop.

It does peter out a bit towards the end once your engine takes off, but that's true of almost every single other game in the genre as well.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Has anyone taken the dive on I Am Future?

I’d definitely be interested to hear impressions. Was the demo any good?

It looks kind of neat but I’m not sure how annoying the general vibe of the game is.

Any idea how it would run on deck?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i played the demo and it seemed chill but it also had a sterility to it that is hard to explain, i also feel like it could've used a little more to the loop, like if it could've been more like Dysmantle without combat, or something

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, you don´t burn the "witches", you just print the pamphlets for the burnings and serve burgers made from the corpses in your graveyard. Feels better already, right? :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FWIW, there's a shitton of content in the game already, all that's left is adding multiplayer (which is an entirely separate sort of non-campaign mode) and the epilogue which they say will be another 20 hours of content. but it took me 70 hours to reach the cutoff point where the epilogue would start, and i am the type to not 100% games and mostly beeline main story content. so for some people what's there might run you all the way to november anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked Portia and I'm looking forward to trying Sandrock once it comes out.
My biggest problem with Portia was the fact that all the characters needed like 10 times the writing done for them because they get very repetitive very fast. Hopefully Sandrock addressed that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm trying to decide between getting
SoS: A Wonderful Life
Ikonei Island
One Lonely Outpost

Any thoughts or arguments if favor/against any of them?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Ikonei Island
One Lonely Outpost

Don't bother with One Lonely Outpost, it's basically a glorified demo until sometime next year if their roadmap is accurate.

sucks because I love the concept of a farming/community sim in space, but drat it is nowhere near that promise yet

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

Don't bother with One Lonely Outpost, it's basically a glorified demo until sometime next year if their roadmap is accurate.

sucks because I love the concept of a farming/community sim in space, but drat it is nowhere near that promise yet

Thanks for the warning!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Bit surprised it barely got mention in here, Palia has been in open beta for a couple weeks now, it's an actual free beta and not just early access if you buy it, so might be worth checking out if you're looking for something to play.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

LLSix posted:

Ikonei Island
One Lonely Outpost

My nostalgia for A Wonderful Life did not last a week once I started playing it. There is quite little to do and your daily routine becomes repetitive quickly, and the NPC dialogue was pretty stale. I loved what they did with the graphics, but everything else about the game is very dated when compared to modern games. Farming games are just better nowadays and they didn't do enough to update this one in my opinion.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I just finished A Wonderful Life. I never played the original. The first year took me forever to get through and I thought the purchase was a mistake. Then I had a lot more fun in years 2 and 3. 4 slowed down again and I slept through most of the last 2.5 years to see the end. It’s an very cool concept that I’m shocked no on ever improved upon but its kind of half baked even for it’s time. I don’t regret playing it though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
AWL probably doesn't need year 6 but otherwise it's a good time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brut posted:

Bit surprised it barely got mention in here, Palia has been in open beta for a couple weeks now, it's an actual free beta and not just early access if you buy it, so might be worth checking out if you're looking for something to play.
I think it's really good and completely scratches the itch for a nice farming game. And it's completely free with the only thing you buy being some cosmetic outfits. I gather some folks were expecting a lot more from it and there's a surprising amount of negativity about it but, hey, it's free. Worth a try, right?

There is also a thread for it.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, if you haven't already played it, it might be best to just wait for the Rune Factory 3 rerelease in like a week and a half. I remember having a blast with that one.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

Honestly, if you haven't already played it, it might be best to just wait for the Rune Factory 3 rerelease in like a week and a half. I remember having a blast with that one.

Hell, arguably even if you have played it before. Game is/was fantastic. Not quite as good as 4 mechanically, but it was the introduction of the fist "weapon" and a lot of fun to play.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

I hadn't realized this was so soon. I'll do that, thanks! I love 4 but never played 3.

Brut posted:

I've been playing it since release. It's fine. Farming is fun. It's got a neat crop boost system where different plants give bonuses to adjacent crops so you can spend a lot of time "optimizing" your farm to grow more tomatoes. The villagers are worth interacting with. There are several side activities like fishing and bug hunting to engage with. There's not a lot to do though. You run through all the available content in a few weeks of occasional play.

Money is balanced well early game, but late game prices seem to have been intended to be a grind, being an entire order of magnitude more than the previous tier of goods. However, players have already found several ways to break the late game gold economy and none of them really require much effort. I've got twice as much money in my wallet as the most expensive item in game without doing much more than logging in to water my farm regularly and some social cooking. I'm not a particularly hardcore gamer, just an old one, and I still don't really have anything to spend money on any more and the few things left to do are heavily RNG dependent. The first two communities I joined have dwindled down to almost no activity already.

On the other hand it's free, so why not try it? Well, the game is very upfront about their business plan being to sell in-game cosmetics for real money. You don't, currently, have to spend any money. Their first post-release update was pets (yay!) that can only be purchased with real money (:(). If you're at all inclined to impulse purchases or spending more than you can afford on mobile games, its probably better to stay away. At the moment, you're not missing much.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 27, 2023

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

yeah, Palia is fun enough as a farm-em-up, but the cash shop prices are absurd even by cash shop standards. definitely not the game if you care about pretty princess dress-up, but the farming/gathering/home-design feels nice enough, and the characters are okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Harvestella is currently 50% off on steam.

It didn’t sound like a good 60 dollar game, but how do folks feel about it as a 30 dollar game?